Girls Don't Exist on Runescape

meili

No. I did secretly take pictures with the Print Screen button and paste into Paint lol, but I never uploaded them anywhere. What girl are you talking about though?

Secret. No need to drop names when it was a long time ago.

flyingjj, 40% seems just about right. Even my mom and 5 year old niece play games! Just remember that "games" doesn't necessarily mean Counterstrike or anything like that. Games like Super Mario, Tetris, Sushi Go Round, Sims etc. are easily enjoyed by both sexes.

From: http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... html?cat=9

...in casual computer gaming (i.e. card and puzzle games), women far outnumber men in certain demographics...

BTW: http://www.hellokittyonline.com

Screw Hello Kitty :twisted:

I'd rather play CoD.

I really think it's a bit sexist to say a majority of women don't play games. A lot of girls I know do, at least to some extent.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To deal with sexist freaks like this, you should ask THEM to prove to YOU that they are a boy. When they don't, simply ask why they shouldn't have to prove themselves, and you do.

In all seriousness, the best course of action is to ignore them. They probably won't change, and arguing with them or even sending them pictures will do nothing. Those who don't believe in what you say are too stubborn to change their opinion.

I'm an INTJ.

Wait...Cynic...

Are you a girl?

Well, I mean the most obvious question raised here is why do you have a computer in the kitchen?

That was idiotic.

What it comes down to is you have a game that attracts 16 year old players. The majority of them males as computers in general are more toy than a tool, where as woman look at it as a tool. My guess because of a quicker mid teen mature point, while i believe it is more case by case.

When you get a group of hormones crazed guys who think a woman on the internet is someone to get on cam to do stuff with, you get [developmentally delayed] sexist comments.

I remember about 3 or 4 years back, I did manage to get a girl player to go on webcam with me and strip! :lol: :thumbsup: Not fully though, but mostly. ;) Since I am almost 19 now, I must have been about 15 when I did this. She was pretty hot too lol. \'

Lol. =D> That is all i have to say.

ON TOPIC - I play as a girl charachter because i think they get treated differently but i only know of one girl who plays RS.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

Gamer stereotype: Nerdy, spotty male teenager alone in dark room.

This is the image put into our heads by the media and our own experiences.

Therefore when something challenges this stereotype it is hard to accept (for some people).

Drow4.png

I've had alot of these comments, and I am a female player. It's annoying to have to constantly ignore people. Although the true way to get them all to stop (someone mentioned this) is to tell them to prove that THEY are MALE. I know one female RS player irl, and she's better than all of the idiots I've encountered so far.

My comment to idiot sexists: Get your butts back to the Medieval Ages where you primitive brutes belong.

^^ Simple, isn't it? :lol:

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Follower of Guthix

The quill is a miracle, for it drinks darkness and sheds light.

Oh right, by the way, I'm a girl. No more calling me a guy you lot~

<[DK]RuneScript> *** [ JAGEX ]: [twitter] meili from @tipitcrew wants to share her thoughts on the idea that "Girls Don't Exist on Runescape" at http://twitter.com/OfficialJagex/

As soon as I saw this I thought of the article on the escapist. Decided to come over with the intention of posting the link. But it looks like OP was one step ahead of me. Oh well, it's a great read either way.

And yeah, it's a real shame that this is the mindset that the internet has. I get the feeling, due to the feeling of being anonymous and some what hidden/protected in this virtual world that the internet is, that this is not something that we're going to see a change in. :(

Oh? Whose twitter is that? I'm afraid I don't twitter myself or follow other people's twitters.

Jagex's Official Twitter, congratulations on being featured. ;)

Although the true way to get them all to stop (someone mentioned this) is to tell them to prove that THEY are MALE.

To deal with sexist freaks like this, you should ask THEM to prove to YOU that they are a boy. When they don't, simply ask why they shouldn't have to prove themselves, and you do.

I'm an INTJ.

Wait...Cynic...

Are you a girl?

I don't normally log in to these forums, I'm more of a lurker, but since Twitter sent me I thought I would just say I'm also a girl.

There has been many occasions where someone asked if I was a real girl or not, and sometimes I would get called a liar for saying yes I am.

But quite frankly I don't give a rats [wagon] if they believe me or not. I am quite secure and confident in myself and my life and I love being female. I actually giggle

irl when they say I must be fat and ugly then. And yes I do get asked to "prove it" but that only makes me giggle more.

I usually just roll my eyes, shake my head and walk away from them. :roll:

RockerScarlet.gif

If people ask, I do tell them I'm a girl (or if they assume I'm a dude, I just correct em ;))

The problem is when people stereotype you as having no life if, god forbid, you spend an hour on the game (if you're a girl. If you're a boy then apparently spending 14 hrs skilling is proof of your awesome virility). Then I ask them if they are fat, Cheeto eatin' virgin nerds like this fella here:

southpark-300x230.jpg

I mean, if you're gonna follow one stereotype, you might as well follow them all.

EDIT: LMAO, I read ScarletStar's post afterward...glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way :thumbsup:

This really gets down to the morals of cheating versus the morals of being forced to throw away your life [1000's of hours] to access content you enjoy

Isn't life about throwing away your life (a job) to access content you enjoy?

I wish society would get over this obsession with gender stereotypes. Yes, it's true that most males like certain things and most females like certain things, but it is possible for males to like things that females usually like and for females to like things that males usually like. Even if somebody is a male who is posing as a female, why does it matter? They're not harming anybody.

I wish society would get over this obsession with gender stereotypes. Yes, it's true that most males like certain things and most females like certain things, but it is possible for males to like things that females usually like and for females to like things that males usually like.

Reading this makes me want to shout amen, so, AMEN!

[hide=A note on amen]For those who don't know, amen means something along the lines of so shall it be. By shouting amen, I am indicating my utter agreement with the above statement.[/hide]

Flyingjj.png

using those smileys isn't going to make you look any cooler than trolling. grow up.

emot-clint1.gif?w=30

Apparently xSxqPowerx is the only person of you three who got that my response was just as non-serious as his joke.

I still love me some Abyssal_Whip and Ravenkana, though.

trolling. grow up.

problem.gif

Problem, Abyssal_Whip?

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I think a huge part of the problem is how anonymous the internet is. The fact that there are grown men on the internet who say they are girls is downright creepy, and in a video game, who really can prove it?

I'm not saying that everyone that says they're a girl on the internet is the next subject of "To Catch A Predator", but I think that stereotype and association is what really what feeds it :?

Personally, if somebody says they're a girl on Runescape, more power to them. RS could stand to be less of a sausage fest, I'm not going to ask for a date or anything, but you get the point.

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

I think a huge part of the problem is how anonymous the internet is. The fact that there are grown men on the internet who say they are girls is downright creepy, and in a video game, who really can prove it?

Anonymity does play a large role in people acting like idiots online. Since there's no physical consequence, the inner-child in people comes out and goes on a rampage.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

All this link in the first post did was made me think RS is more girl friendly than WoW. Couple of my friends are girls (or atleast they sound/look/act like one) and they're pretty normal (everyone's weird ;)) Why can't girls exist on tha interwebz?

I wish society would get over this obsession with gender stereotypes. Yes, it's true that most males like certain things and most females like certain things, but it is possible for males to like things that females usually like and for females to like things that males usually like. Even if somebody is a male who is posing as a female, why does it matter? They're not harming anybody.

I agree. I did a psychological test thing and found out I'm more masculine than feminine but tbh I wasn't surprised. I'm VERY much opposed to the idea of 'girls do this' and 'boys do this'. I'll do whatever I think is fun or right and if that means lounging around in Pyjamas all day, watching Top Gear and playing Runescape then dammit, that's what I'll do.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I've read through page 1 and 5, so if someone has said what I'll say, note that I agree (this sentence doesn't make sense does it).

I think male players playing as female characters is their thing, it might make them feel better, but seriously I don't care. But harrassing female players, because they think they aren't female is just not right. Why base an opinion on someone only by asking their gender and then just saying "I don't believe you!" What's the point of asking then!?

Seriously people should care less of other players' gender and just socialize with them without knowing this. Ofcourse English requires making a difference in gender by having either "he" or "she" (in my mother language this doesn't occur). So asking this from another player to address them correctly sounds appropriate, but really shouldn't be needed. For example I have 2 friends in RS that have quite girly names, but still I haven't asked them, because it doesn't really matter, does it?

So please, stop worrying about other people's genders and treat them all equally.

I hope my English skills are good enough, that you can understand what I mean :D

All this link in the first post did was made me think RS is more girl friendly than WoW.

The article was written in '05 - it's a lot better now. Funny thing is, a lot of girls in my program play WoW (graphic design...I guess we care about the graphics :P). And not one of them fits the fat/no-life stereotype. I didn't play till about 2 years ago, but I never had a problem talking on vent. The only person who ever said "t*ts or gtfo" to me in chat was my RL friend....also a girl :lol:

This really gets down to the morals of cheating versus the morals of being forced to throw away your life [1000's of hours] to access content you enjoy

Isn't life about throwing away your life (a job) to access content you enjoy?

This is one thing that bothers me, because you get the immature 12 year olds that act like it's the end of the world when a girl enters a clan chat or anything else. Which then leads to 30 Minutes of spam. Some peple forget that there is a person on the other side of the pixels that has feelings as well.

The reason that players don't normally accept the fact that there are girls online is that they have no circumstantial, real evidence to satisfy themselves. Avatars and names won't cut it for them, for some reason. Typically, whenever a player tells me that they are indeed female, I have no reason to doubt them and I accept it.

There are a lot of women playing this game. There are a lot more men playing this game. But it wouldn't matter so much if people didn't care about another person's gender while playing online.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I know exactly what you are talking about. No one believes that adults play on RS either (at least not creepy ones). That makes me one of the rare adult female RS player.

*stands in adult female corner with ArtemisCatal*

Nice to meetchya.

I usually have a standard reply for stuff like this, but really cbf atm. I haven't had too much problem with demands for proving my female-ness or adulthood. I find the bigger problem is the 17-22 age bracket who try to chat me up.

Ananke32.png