[DevBlog] Animation Update: Pack 1

Mil

http://devblog.runescape.com/view_post.ws?post_id=15

Hi, Im Mod Paul B, the Lead Animator on RuneScape. I would like to take some time to tell you about some animation updates we are bringing you.

As I am sure you have noticed we are updating many of the graphics in RuneScape and one of the areas needing attention is the animation. We have been working on improving the way we animate characters and locations in RuneScape, making the animation smoother and more refined to compliment the increased quality of the character models and areas.

Animation tweening

One way we have achieved this is with a technique called tweening. This technique allows us to fill out the animation, allowing it to play back more fluidly. In simple terms, we take two frames of animation and interpolate (blend between) them so there is essentially a third frame at a mid point. This makes the animation appear smoother to the eye.

Click on this link* to view a comparison between an animation with tweening and one without. As you can see, the lower animation is much smoother and far more effective as a result.

windmillold.gif

Animation without tweening

windmillnew.gif

Animation with tweening

Updating some of the most popular weapons

One area we are currently updating is the combat animations. We looked at the weapons that seem to be the most popular with players and have updated not only how they look, but also the animations that play when they are used in combat.

This is one of the areas that the animators really enjoyed updating. Mod Biscuits, Mod Judge and Mod Wing collaborated on this project and produced the new animations.

Click on this link* to view a comparison between the old and new attack animation for scimitars. The new animation is more dynamic and fluid in comparison to the old one.

scimitarold.gif

Old scimitar attack animation

scimitarnew.gif

New scimitar attack animation

Agility animations

With the recent release of the new high level Agility anims, we thought wed have a look through the existing anims and give them a polish as we felt they needed some attention. Agility anims need particular attention paying to them as they are quite technical in the way they are implemented into the game engine.

There was some close collaboration needed between Mod Woody (Senior Animator) and Mod Roderick (RuneScape Content Developer). Some of these Agility anims have been in RuneScape for a long time, so it was great to see them updated.

Click on this link* to view a comparison between the old and new dive animation. You can see just how much of a difference the update has made.

diveold.gif

Old Agility dive animation

divenew.gif

New Agility dive animation

Emote animations

We realise that players use emotes a great deal and look forward to new additions. As such, we have gone through all emotes in RuneScape and given them a good once over to make sure they are looking consistent and the best they can.

The animators and I have very much enjoyed updating some of the older animations in RuneScape, and have many plans for updates to the animation in RuneScape in the future. This is just the first step!

I hope you enjoy this update when it is released. Look out for further developments from the animators of the RuneScape Graphics team.

Have fun!

*Please note that all images are best viewed in Mozilla Firefox. In Internet Explorer, particularly, the updated animations play at about half speed.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scimitar graphical update FINALLY! I made a suggestion on RSOF earlier in week for bronze -> rune and barrows graphical update since they are dated (Quick find code: 77-78-67-59160999).

If they have done scimitars maybe they'll do the armours too!

[hide=New Scimitar]http://www.runescape.com/img/varrock/devblog/animation_update/scimitar_new.gif[/hide]

I have to say the animations look like theres more physics involved, and definately take the human skeleton in its grasp, so kudos to JaGeX!

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Looks nice.

Look at the first picture it has the blank tab filled.

I saw that too :)

What could it possibly be?

Figured it out its a lightbulb.

Twitter Hint.

@Tetris50 Adding day/night to RuneScape isn't a high priority for us - but we are aware of the idea! -RSDev

Looks nice.

Twitter Hint.

@Tetris50 Adding day/night to RuneScape isn't a high priority for us - but we are aware of the idea! -RSDev

Too fat to be a lightbulb

Looks nice.

Twitter Hint.

You could be on to something.

Looking at the two pictures: The first one is slightly darker than the second one, and the shadows seem to be more present. It could be the GIF though; 69 frames vs. 77.

Edit: Although, it is most likely my computer screen :/

Stellactic.gif

They all look great but I'm a bit worried that will be the actual speed of the scimitar, would be like endless dds specs o_O

You have nothing to worry about, it's just an endless loop of the animation itself. Scimitars aren't going to be faster.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Original

smallz.png

2x

57384157.png

4x

33104713.png

8x

74896629.png

Big

bige.png

Pixel structure

pixelp.png

Looks like a possible clan chat icon? Oh...maybe clan/group features or settings? Could be a hot air balloon ::'

They hid the chat box on purpose :roll:

I LOVE that new scimitar attack :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Shame I won't get a chance to see it major-ly in action :x

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

Original

smallz.png

2x

57384157.png

4x

33104713.png

8x

74896629.png

Big

bige.png

Pixel structure

pixelp.png

Looks like a possible clan chat icon? Oh...maybe clan/group features or settings? Could be a hot air balloon ::'

Now it looks like a light bulb. It can't be a clan chat icon because the current clan chat icon is already in that screenshot.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Original

smallz.png

2x

57384157.png

4x

33104713.png

8x

74896629.png

Big

bige.png

Pixel structure

pixelp.png

Now it looks like a light bulb. It can't be a clan chat icon because the current clan chat icon is already in that screenshot.

Yes it does now, but wouldnt they just like rotate it? every say.. 30 mins game time is day then goes to darkness, instead of doing it yourself, also wouldnt 99 fm be an advantage for certain lanterns with new night and day

They all look great but I'm a bit worried that will be the actual speed of the scimitar, would be like endless dds specs o_O

It's only the speed to carry out the animation, not the speed between each animation.

The icon is very interesting. It DOES look like a lightbulb but how would that work with day/night. You'd expect it to be controlled by the game it'self, our characters shouldn't have control of the time =/ But thinking about it, what if it's a lightbulb in a different aspect. Representing ideas, thinking, invention?

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

The icon is very interesting. It DOES look like a lightbulb but how would that work with day/night. You'd expect it to be controlled by the game it'self, our characters shouldn't have control of the time =/ But thinking about it, what if it's a lightbulb in a different aspect. Representing ideas, thinking, invention?

new skill=personal customization? it would fit the light bulb and would be something completely new for rs and most of the games it's type

Y_Z.png

sweet graphic update, the agility ones are going to rock. Are they only going to do skims graphic change or all the weaponary??

About the day/night situation, i think they should have their own time zone in rs, different from real life time zone beacuse it would be the same for every one and i think they should controll day/night as the time goes by. If you have played SRO you will know what i mean.

Iyaari.png

comp-regular.png

Looks cool but I'm more interested in the new icon tbh :P

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

We all know what the new icon is for.

It's a sail on a ship. It's for sailing.

In other news, I like the new animations. I again hope that they don't tweak something by accident and mess up age-old timing on things (eating between attacks or picking up drops between attacks).

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

If it's going to be related to a possible day/night update, I can think of one possibility.

Real time day/night feature, with the tab displaying the time (based on your timezone), the date, month and year (based on Gielinorian calender). It would be great it they add some in-game weather too, Varrock hasn't had any rain for years.

Then again, it might not be anything related to day/night feature at all. Could it be a Clan Memberlist Tab? Perhaps with a new location where you can officially register your clan within the game, and create a logo based on a pre-made list of shapes, patterns and colours.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

the modified agility animation: looks like it takes long time to end compared to the one before. So wouldnt it slow agility training?? Hopefully not all of them are longer then their previous versions :pray:

Iyaari.png

comp-regular.png