So you've been around the block?

un4given

Mods feel free to lock if you feel there's no discussion value.

Just thinking about how runescape was several years ago compared to today and the events that happened through it's history i guess you could say. I started playing a year or 2 after rs2 came out but here's some events that happened that made me feel as though i've been around the block (you're only oldschool if you've played since classic).

-slayer released

-farming released

-construction released; oaks jumped up from 30 to 300gp for a few days which i made my first million with the oaks i powercut

-wildy without a ditch

-crossbows firing faster than shortbows

-autoers with the generic clothing

-sharks dropping down to 500 ea due to autoers

-fally massacre

-when climbing boots pwned

-zezima and more i can't think of

Disregard females.

Acquire currency.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I started just after the Dragon Slayer quest was released. So I also got to see level 3's wearing rune armor, dueling anywhere, drops of pumpkins, masks, santa hats, crackers (phats), only the normal 'cape' int eh game, then the release of Legends cape, no running #-o , and a lot more that I forgot while typing this out..

Ahh the memories.

ahaha, just remembering walking up to a yew tree behind varrock castle (i think thats where it was..) and seeing a bunch of pale white, bald level 3s in green shirts chopping. So I say something and they ALL DISAPPEAR. I loved that, lol. Silly bots.

35b9enp.jpg

topics like these have been started before, every update changes the game bit by bit, for me i loved monkey madness quest as it was one of the first added in rs2 and it really started to use what jagex were talking about in changing the game from classic and more was possible

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

ah, I remember being excited by the prices of phats and christmas crackers going up to 3k each. I sold all of mine because at lvl 15, 60k was a lot of money.

Another part I remember is the release of the R2 beta.

I was mad that only members could try out the beta.

Weh nI tried the beta for the first time, I tried runescarfting, and hated it so much!

I also remember not being able to kill the guards (i had forgetten the password to the other account so I had a lower lvl) so I could not get any santa hats. They were selling for 2k each, but I only had about 400gp^^ shoulda collected more bananas on Karamja.

Then I quit after about two months into RS2.

I came back and played off and on.

Pking was the best! I loved in rsc where you could cast spell while you fouhgt. such ownage. Now in rs2, pking was fun because it was so challenging. I remember stocking on swordies, running to the black knights castle and waiting for noobs 20 lvls lower than me to try and kill my friends and I with our rune armor vs thier addy.

Those were the days^^

ahaha, just remembering walking up to a yew tree behind varrock castle (i think thats where it was..) and seeing a bunch of pale white, bald level 3s in green shirts chopping. So I say something and they ALL DISAPPEAR. I loved that, lol. Silly bots.

That was brilliant. It's sad they got their act together and stopped doing that -.-

Also, I'm pretty sure the wilderness always had a warning? Maybe I'm just not remember correctly :oops:

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

I remember...

no bank in lumbridge

no tutors

"Egg me"

when rune plates had the realy long arm pieces when seen in your inv

when the general store had a pot with flour as the symbol

when slayer was new

when farming was new

when construction was new

and when merchanting actually required skill

Eh....a lot more but it's late.

This is classic :D

macro.gif

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

That was brilliant. It's sad they got their act together and stopped doing that -.-

Also, I'm pretty sure the wilderness always had a warning? Maybe I'm just not remember correctly :oops:

Yeah the wilderness always had a warning. It was a black box in rsc.

I remeber when the quote "I killed a black knight" was impressive and something to brag about.

rsarrowhdsig3.png

\:D/ Introducing Rs Arrow! \:D/

Now that i think of it, there was a warning that only came up once before you entered the wildy and only reappeared once you logged and logged back in i believe.

Disregard females.

Acquire currency.

I started around Jan 2002, which isnt that old compared to some I know, the first few months where are blur since I was completely lost, the lumbridge tutor before tutorial island, one type of bow, one type of arrows, one type or pickaxe, one type of rocks (before hard/soft).

I remember introduction of many skills, agility was madness, not sparta, around 1000 people on the gnome course doing laps, thieving came with ardy, I remember members being introduced, 2 seperate clients for both members and free to play, the first site i could remember it was a pale blue background, and the client took you to worlds list not the runescape main page.

Herblaw not herblore, first dying my cape to purple, 3 rounds of combat, sleeping bag introduction, starting classes, rune prices being insane, rare prices seeming insane but not really, knife glitch, fally castle glitch (closing castledoor spam clicking ladder going on 2nd floor but on the other side of wall roaming scape on the air), the dupe in november 2003 getting home from school and trading noobs pieces of rune armour for phats.. Jagex saying no more rare drops then dropped the first untradeables.

Legends release and getting the cape, looked hot in classic with the gold trim, the mage arena update and wanting one of the staffs, old inventory pics I used to love, quests only one person could talk to the npc, had to hope you got lucky, same with picking up drops from quests such as dwarf remains you had to hope you were the one picking it up, otherwise wait for 5 mins waiting for respawn to try and get it before everyone else... I could babble on all night.

some images.

[hide=]logoutinoutin.png

collab.png

interfacey.png

OLD TIP IT AMG

wdfb.png

bannedrnw.png[/hide]

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I started in 2002, i remember i "discovered" the secret room in edge dunegon, stayed there for about a month and with the coin spawns made a good 10,000 :D

I also remember buying a mask for 100k and full rune for 1mill

goood times!

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

haha I remember trading a dragon baxe for a santa hat, and when red phats were 2.4 m i counted all the things I owned and figured I could get one but i told myself it wouldnt go up much and id be better off just saving

rs2 beta was so sick too, it pretty much made me come back to the game.. there would be drop partys with phats and crackers and just about everything (when they copied the items over) and i remember my friends leveling their runecraft and bragging about it, although it was pointless cuz they were just gonna get wiped

*Thinks back*.

Classic. Hmm.

All I remember is walking around in bronze like a nob. My dream was to eventually get full black armor. Most gold I ever had was like... 200-300GP. I'd constantly get lost between Falador and Draynor, would get good samaritans to guide me back to my "house".

And that dark, fateful day when I got killed in the wilderness and lost all my armor.

NEVERTHELESS. Real men walk from dragons when retreating.

Today:

OKAY RDY 2 RS. FIRST TIME IN A MONTH.

LOG ON.

COLLECT GE EARNINGS.

BANK IT.

LOOT WILDERNESS.

RUN FROM GAY GHOSTS.

(If dead) FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCetc.

RUN BACK TO GE.

PUT ITEMS FOR SALE.

LOG OFF.

(If process= complete, then repeat).

I can honestly say I have been playing a while, not long enough for rsc but I guess shortly after RS2 started.

List of oldness:

1. Spending hours trying to buy or sell something in worlds 1 or 2.

2. Messing up bots who were automining.

3. Full rune at 500k gps.

4. Simple yet awesome dragons and demons.

5. KBD = Hard as heck!

6. KQ = Harder than ^

7. Less than 100 quests.

8. You actually MADE gp by turning raws into products.

9. Smithing was super money maker.

10. No ditch wilderness and simple brilliant pvp.

11. Looting clan wars with noob accs for the heck of it.

12. No GE.

13. Clan PKing.

14. D chain, med, legs/skirt, and sq. shield made up full dragon.

15. Intro of Construction.

16. No bank in Lumby unless you did RFD.

17. None of this make-x stuff...too slow.

18. Gifting between friends.

19. RS came in two modes, low detail and high detail. Not high detail and High Definition.

20. Only guide in RS was the lumby guide, and the beginners map was a few words and a star.

21. Preparing runes etc. for running from pkers while killing green drags.

22. Warning noobs that they were going to die from green drags if they didn't have anti-dragon shield. And they get 1 hit. BTW to add, selling anti dragon shields for 2k ea.

23. In non membs, having colored gloves and hat was the [cabbage].

24. Tzhaar didn't hurt your eyes to look at for a long time.

25. Blue phat was 50m

26. Giants looked like man eaters and not the BFG. Ogres weren't fat tubs of lard.

27. Whip was the pinnacle of all weapons.

28. Pking (might have said twice, miss the old pking but oh well it had to be done)

29. Rune pick was 21k and rune hatchet was called rune axe and was 25k.

30. All ores of the same type looked the same, the only oddball was The stronghold of security ones.

And the list goes on and on...

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

I was too noob to face the KBD on this account until 2005, and I was too young to even know what the hell the KBD was on my old account.

2003 was when I rejoined RS, and I've been playing a lot since then.

Construction being released, Farming and crossbows all seem quite recent to me.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

when i started, there was noone over 85 runecrafting

dragons and demons had very simplistic graphics

santas were only a few hundred k each

i remember when elemental workshop 1 came out

thinking having full iron and steel mace was an achievement

no ditch on wilderness

i remember the addition of every single skill from slayer onwards, and even that was when i was like level 80 or 90

when people would try to scam people by trading a rock hammer, saying it was a grantie maul, when they were very expensive

i remember when the rs main page was just 6 icons for different things arranged in a rectangle

remember kq being released

remember dag. kings being released

trying to solo general graador the day godwars was released, and getting rol'd just as he died -.-

remember the tzharr area being released, and seeing a firecape made you almost stunned in awe

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

I became a member just before the farming update (don't remember which date it was), after I got a few lvl's I quitted for a year or so.

When I came back, everything was changed (but I didn't know back then) so I trained a pure (not a pure any more now xD) and I went to the 'wildy'. Too bad I couldn't find the attack button anymore :x

I'm not a very old player compared to most of you guys.

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

I remember:

-failing a spell and waiting 15 seconds or so to try again

-having an item called "pickaxe"

-mining 8 coal at barb village, then resting in edgeville

-mining a chicken nugget then smelting it into a gold bar/sheet

-being super mad that I missed the scythe drop, but got it later

^ I was mad, but I never posted any complaints

-having 116/116 quest points (RS2)

I've never seen Sixth Sense nor Inception nor many other popular movies and I intend to keep it that way.

I remember running back and forth between the varrock mines - lumby furnace - varrock anvils - varrock sword shop, making 100gp each run and training my smithing to the lvl 30s. There was no guide to help me :( NObody told me about cowhides!

Staurolite.png

Started in 2002, remember struggling to kill Elvarg at 65 combat -.-. Losing my full bronze to a giant rat, god those were the days, not to forget the obligatory flaming towards the person that killed you while pking :lol:. I don't know, eventhough the graphics and the gameplay weren't the best, the game still had something special. I hated myself for not being able to grab bunny ears because my parents punished me :(. Unfortunatly i lost all of my rsc pics, i'll post some rs2 ones though.

[hide=Clicky]1100skilltotalf2p.png w800.png

99rangedl.png w767.png

hardballs.png w752.png

60474367.png w321.png

rank3staker.png w578.png[/hide]

Realise the staking pics aren't that old, but staking was the most fun thing on rs for me, that's why i've inserted them.

Some people dream of success, while others make it happen.

I remember running back and forth between the varrock mines - lumby furnace - varrock anvils - varrock sword shop, making 100gp each run and training my smithing to the lvl 30s. There was no guide to help me :( NObody told me about cowhides!

Haha, same. I orginally sold them to the general store though.

weiyao5.png

I've started playing shortly after the release of RS2.

Some things I remember:

- The Rubber Chicken-quest.

- The Tzhaar (+ Fire Cape)

- Release of Barrows

- Release of Slayer / Farming / Construction / Hunter / Summoning

- Bought my second Santa Hat when Construction came out since prices were dropping.

- Old website

- Keldagrim

- 1 millionth member.

- Highscores being top 500k.

- And so much more.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

I also started playing just after the release of RS2. However, I remained f2p for a very long time!

Some of my earliest screenshots, with my clan back then, the Templar Guardians. (I must have started playing at least a year or two before this):

Earliest bank pic

mybanktidy.jpg

Saving up for 60k to buy enough death runes for a PKing trip ;)

pic2krc.jpg

Some early screenshots of when I got members, I think this must be from a TET CW event.

tetcwevent.png

06sep23213559jh6.png

I was such a noob...