School

Pinkbullet3

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone describe the infamous organic chemistry to me? I know it is very difficult, but I don't mind that if it is interesting. However, if it is both hard and boring, I doubt I want to do it.

Infamous ? what. Organic chem is massive but it's great. imho much more practical and applied than normal chem. Pretty fun, and way more interesting. Only real downside is the IUPAC stuff and there's a significant amount of memorization. Depends on what you like as well. I remember the whole alkene,alkane, functional group, all the various species etc which was interesting learning about but not so much fun memorizing. Then theres' more difficult stuff like resonance, conjugates, enantiomers, and processes, like esterification, polymerization, addition /substitution reactions. There's a whole other bio related side with amino acids, peptides etc but I never did that.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone describe the infamous organic chemistry to me? I know it is very difficult, but I don't mind that if it is interesting. However, if it is both hard and boring, I doubt I want to do it.

Infamous ? what. Organic chem is massive but it's great. imho much more practical and applied than normal chem. Pretty fun, and way more interesting. Only real downside is the IUPAC stuff and there's a significant amount of memorization. Depends on what you like as well. I remember the whole alkene,alkane, functional group, all the various species etc which was interesting learning about but not so much fun memorizing. Then theres' more difficult stuff like resonance, conjugates, enantiomers, and processes, like esterification, polymerization, addition /substitution reactions. There's a whole other bio related side with amino acids, peptides etc but I never did that.

I can't believe I let this piece of garbage be the last post of this thread.

Organic chemistry is junk. The worst part of the course (reactions) is just nonsense electron pushing all over the place (not for all reactions mind you, most of the time its very logical). And guess what, organic chemistry 2 is all about strange reactions with funky exceptions. The only way I can possibly get a good grade in this class is by memorizing 50 or so different reactions. The only upside to the whole mess is I've had two really cute lab partners for both 1 and 2.

BIOCHEMISTRY, on the other hand, is the most baller course I've ever taken. Within the first three weeks of this class I learned so many answers to questions which my biology teachers normally say "lol ask a dirty chemist lol". It's the only chemistry course I've taken in my entire life that I've actually enjoyed and found interesting.

hiccup.png

I can't believe I let this piece of garbage be the last post of this thread.

Organic chemistry is junk. The worst part of the course (reactions) is just nonsense electron pushing all over the place (not for all reactions mind you, most of the time its very logical). And guess what, organic chemistry 2 is all about strange reactions with funky exceptions. The only way I can possibly get a good grade in this class is by memorizing 50 or so different reactions. The only upside to the whole mess is I've had two really cute lab partners for both 1 and 2.

mmmIdontknow. curriculum must be different, but organic pracwork is usually more entertaining.

How's school going for everyone so far?

I don't regret enrolling in college because it seems that you actually do LESS work than in Highschool.

I've kind of gotten my groove now and overall, college is better when you think about

the freedom you have.

How's school going for everyone so far?

Grade wise, my grades are a lot better then what they were last year, maybe because I am putting more effort into the work that I do.

The teachers I have this year almost all seem to be better then the ones I had last year, but our Chem teacher is out for 4 more weeks because his wife had a kid. So we now have a sub for him and she just can't teach well at all. It doesn't help that she is Indian with a heavy accent and English is not her first language. Not saying that foreign teachers can't be good, its just that she said she taught in India and I think she just doesn't know how to teach well in English.

Regarding homework, I have become horrible at managing time ( but I don't regret it) and sometimes I can't motivate myself to do school work. Again, I don't regret it, I'm a great self-motivator, I just don't have a reason to self-motivate myself to do the work. Either way it usually gets done well, even if I only sleep 3 hours because of the procrastination.

Socially, nothing much has changed, I've met some people and maybe become better friends with others, but no big change from before.

I have been doing basketball conditioning, lifting and open gyms almost every day after school. I also play in a couple of fall leagues. I'm most likely going to be playing varsity basketball as a sophomore this year :)

Overall, school has been... well... like school.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

So far for my first 3 mods (a part of a class cycle we take in my college) I've gotten straight 'A's, 4.0 GPA. I haven't had grades like that since Middle School.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Grrrrrrr.

You people who do less homework in college/uni make me mad :(

4 chapters worth of calculus homework, thermodynamics assignment, powerpoint presentation, and a programming assignment all need to get done... and I don't feel like it.

On the bright side, I think I found a solution manual for thermo - currently torrenting.

4 chapters worth of calculus homework, thermodynamics assignment, powerpoint presentation, and a programming assignment all need to get done... and I don't feel like it.

But with homework like that you probably have good classes and with classes like that you're probably going to a better college than me. :razz:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Oh hot damn... What's your typical method of getting your work done? Working on a little bit of everything everday has worked well for me. As with using a planner to keep my thinking straight

See, I don't like planners... they well.. make me plan stuff :|

I suppose you're not an organized one?

I think it is more interesting and exciting to do things when they aren't planned ... you know what I mean?

Yes, most definitely, but I think that mindset shouldn't be applied to homework, or things that have a deadline and can make/break your grade.

Unfortunately I grew up and live by the 'work first play later' rule, but I know there are kids out there who do well in school even when they're not trying, lol

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Yes, most definitely, but I think that mindset shouldn't be applied to homework, or things that have a deadline and can make/break your grade.

Unfortunately I grew up and live by the 'work first play later' rule, but I know there are kids out there who do well in school even when they're not trying, lol

I think that society really tries to push us to live by that rule. I don't like planning because it stresses me out. I used to do more planning but then I would get too upset when something changed and didn't go the way that I planned. Now I just like to take things as they come.

• 3 weeks later...

hattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee school.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

• 2 weeks later...

I love procrastination. It's a choice for me, I choose not to do a project I've had 2 weeks to do till the last day. :P My philosophy is: " I'll do it when I feel like it or when it's absolutely needed because this homework is tedious."