What movie(s) did you last see?

How2PK

Seen a fair few films over Christmas, here are some of the better ones I've seen:

The Hobbit - I thought it was decent, and then I re-watched the LotR films and it slipped down a bit. Good film but as others have said it was slow in places. I like Martin Freeman as Bilbo though. 7/10

MI: Ghost Protocol - Decent film, pretty much what you would expect from a Mission Impossible film. Much better than the second and third ones though. 6.5/10

Tangled - This is my Disney guilty pleasure :oops:. For some reason I just really enjoy this film. It's an entertaining, feel good film and I like the animation. 7.5/10

Mirror Mirror - I expected this to be terrible but it was actually a fairly decent film. It's not much different to most versions of Snow White but it was light hearted and enjoyable. Julia Roberts pretty much stole the show in terms of lines. Lily Collins is pretty cute too :thumbup: 7/10

Safe - A typical Jason Statham film, lots of fighting, shooting, running, driving, killing and gangsters. Entertaining and easy to watch. 7/10

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

That's what prosthetics are for :P

Apparently not. The reviews of Life of Pi that I read said things like the CGI added "spiritual wonder" (and this particular reviewer panned every other aspect of the film). Everyone seems to be convinced these days that CGI can add depth and increase involvement in a film, and I frankly cannot see it.

I perhaps should have been clearer that I wasn't really responding to decebal's comment, given that i've never seen the film he mentions, simply that it sparked a trail of thought for me.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

That's what prosthetics are for :P

I'd love to see the stuntman that can leap up a tree like a chimp ;) .

Honestly, I partially agree with Crocefisso that CGI usually doesn't add depth to a film, however I disagree when it comes to personifying (or beastializing) animals. Instead of using a real animals (which is unpredictable), or a guy in a suit and prosthetics (which can't replicate animalistic movement as well), you can use CGI and mo-cap, which gives the director more artistic freedom and the ability to tweak different aspects of the character to better convey a story or theme.

In the new Planet of the Apes, I'd say that using CGI was a necessity to blur the lines between Ape and Man.

22031_s.gif

In the new Planet of the Apes, I'd say that using CGI was a necessity to blur the lines between Ape and Man.

It's a tool like any other, but like many of those others, it's overused :razz:

Saw The Hobbit today, and on the topic of CGI, I'd say it actually did add to the film at points (Gollum, who's just imhuman enough that prosthetics wouldn't be possible). At other times it felt tacked on and just didn't look good (Azog, any time a character was illuminated by a fire, Azog illuminated by a fire).

Overall, enjoyed the movie but came home with a headache... And I still think the entire book could have been one movie :razz:

Saw An Autumn Afternoon yesterday. Yet another quite moving film, if gentler and not as sad as some of the ones I've been watching recently. 9/10.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

Yeah, that's one of my favorites with him. Back in his pre-Batman days when he was trying to avoid the spotlight but still doing excellent movies (Equilibrium anyone?).

I just finished watching Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. Not bad - 7/10. I'd definitely watch it again.

Some of the tech is starting to put James Bond to shame with it's unbelievableness though. Still, having it fail at critical moments is always good for a laugh. It's much better than 3 was, and it might even be better than 2 was, but the first one is still my favorite.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Yeah, that's one of my favorites with him. Back in his pre-Batman days when he was trying to avoid the spotlight but still doing excellent movies (Equilibrium anyone?).

I just finished watching Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. Not bad - 7/10. I'd definitely watch it again.

Some of the tech is starting to put James Bond to shame with it's unbelievableness though. Still, having it fail at critical moments is always good for a laugh. It's much better than 3 was, and it might even be better than 2 was, but the first one is still my favorite.

Really? You would put 2 above 3? 2 sucked a decent amount, 3 was almost as good as 1.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

3 came out around the time that Tom Cruise really started going crazy, so that might have skewed my opinion of it. Maybe it's time to go back and see it again.

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Just saw Akira Kurosawa's Sanjuro. As a big fan of samurai films (in particular his), I found the parody of the ineptiutude of the samurai and of the female characters very apt. Probably around 8/10.

Saw A Hen in the Wind this morning. Incredibly powerful film about post-war life, achieves far more in barely over an hour than most films do in two. A definite 9/10.

Rewatched MI:3 last night and I have to say, it's better than I remember. Not sure if I like it better than Ghost Protocol though. However, I will admit I was wrong on it being worse than 2.

I've also been watching old Abbot and Costello movies. My dad had a bunch of them when I was a kid, and they're just as funny as I remember. Some of the material is rather dated, but good comedy is timeless. :grin:

@ Kaida: I love Abbott and Costello. They deserve a place in history for that 'Who's on first' sequence alone.

@Jona: Also largely agree with you, never much liked SotD.

As for all the films I've been watching recently, a few of the more memorable:

-Red Sorghum - this film had real potential, and I think there was quite a lot to like about it - great cinematography, richly textured portrayals of Chinese peasant life - but the narrative was a bit disjointed and weak. Strong ending was another redeeming factor, and overall a 7/10.

-Vertigo - I cannot see how this is as good as some of Hitchcock's other films, such as the perfect Rear Window. The plot was convoluted and James Stewart's character has the emotional depth of a child. It started out intriguing and ended up, one too many twists and turns later, a little tiresome; nevertheless, it was a good quality film throughout. 7/10.

-Animal Kingdom - that Australian gangster films even exist was surprising for me. That it is so well acted and the characters so varied, well realised and well portrayed - Uncle Pope is as sinister as Joe Pesci in Goodfellas - was an additional bonus. Certainly the best film produced so far this decade (ie, since 2010). 9/10.

They deserve a place in history for that 'Who's on first' sequence alone.

They have one. ;) A video of it (from their movie "The Naughty Nineties") plays on a constant loop in the Baseball Hall of Fame. I read once that they are the only non-sports people to have a place there.

As for SotD vs HF, I actually have the opposite opinion of them. I thought SotD was better. I love (and own) them both, but I enjoy SotD more.

If you'd ask me about Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz, I'd give you a different answer every time. I can't choose.

After first watches, it would have been SotD no contest, but once I watched HF two or three times and started to appreciate it more I would have to agree, it's hard to choose.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

1999 was a good year in film.

Watched American Beauty again. 10/10. One of my favorite movies.

Bringing Out the Dead, 4/10. Boring and depressing.

Magnolia, 6/10. Liked it a lot until the end of the film. Had high expectations for the ending since it was over 3 hours long with multiple plots.

77yLQy8.png