The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

Going to the Habs vs Boston game on Monday night :) :) :)

Nice. Do the habs charge full price for preseason games too? The leafs do :(

Habs don't really have a "full price" to compare to so I don't know. It changes depending on which team theyre playing even during the regular season but its safe to say they were 100$+ tickets that would've cost, I'd say, around 250$ during the season.

hiccup.png

I stopped going to the ACC a long time back. I have only ever been to about a half a dozen games, its expensive and I can honestly save a lot more time and money by sitting at home and watching the game on HD. Sure the experience of going to the game is a lot more special but I do not find it worth my money anymore. Especially with the on ice product having been so awful for the past 6 years. I will stay at home at least until this team becomes playoff team or a Cup contender.

I've been to one Wings game, two years ago I went and also heard Manon Rehume (french canadian lady goalie) talk some. Was cool, and we got group discount tickets, I think they were only $20 or so.

I go to Griffins (Wings AHL affiliate) all the time, last year probably ten games or so? It's nice because we have lots of venues to get free and really cheap ($5) tickets through. We usually do one game in the prime seats a year, for my birthday or such. Not the same, but definitely more than worth the $5 to go [rather than $30 or more for Wings...]

Well, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Shanahan does with that Neil on Grabo hit. The first really controversial one of the year.

I missed the game, had class from 7-10 :wall:

I heard on the radio that it was not a good hit. I haven't seen the hit so no comments yet but what do you think he will get?

Well, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Shanahan does with that Neil on Grabo hit. The first really controversial one of the year.

I missed the game, had class from 7-10 :wall:

I heard on the radio that it was not a good hit. I haven't seen the hit so no comments yet but what do you think he will get?

It's very reminiscent of Steckel on crosby - obviously a hit to the head, but it's going to be hard to prove intent.

Grabo was fine as well so it takes some pressure of Shanahan. I honestly have no idea what to expect.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Oh yeah, completely forgot about that lol.

Brutal hit during the Chicago-Detroit game last night, Shanahan is going to be very busy this year it seems...

We shall see what we shall see. There's two contributing factors here:

1. This is pre-season -- so you got a lot of guys humping ass to try and make the team, which means a lot of over-zealous under-achievers out there pushing the envelope to get noticed -- which results in a lot of unnecessary rough play.

2. I suspect that this is going to be a lot like the obstruction rule changes several years ago -- you're going to see a lot of these calls early in the season as officials get used to making the calls and players get used to not committing the infractions. It will settle down before Christmas.

Until THEN, yes. Shanny's gonna be a busy boy. :unsure:

nyuseg.png

I am still not sure if I agree with the zero tolerance policy on hits to the head. We are so used to seeing those open ice hits in the neutral zone, it will be very weird to see those penalized now. The thing is players are still not sure what hits are allowed and which are not. Would a player like Chara be penalized for a hit to a like Patrick Kane, in such a situation Chara has no choice but to make contact with Kane's head. Are players now going to start skating through the neutral zone with their head's down, without being fearful of getting their head taken off? I am still not sure how this rule works.

Agreed with Blyaunte, these suspensions will eventually reduce.

Well bear in mind there isn't a blanket ban on headshots, the head just can't be the "primary point of contact". That's why Phaneuf didn't get a suspension for either of his hits (although he did get a penalty, that seems to be the refs getting used to the new rule).

And yeah, it will probably calm down a bit as the season goes on.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Well bear in mind there isn't a blanket ban on headshots, the head just can't be the "primary point of contact". That's why Phaneuf didn't get a suspension for either of his hits (although he did get a penalty, that seems to be the refs getting used to the new rule).

And yeah, it will probably calm down a bit as the season goes on.

Honestly -- Phaneuf's got to stop poaching for guys with their heads down at the opposition blue line, like that, anyways -- he gets burned on it at least two to three times a game, and gives up way too many odd-man rushes coming the other way ...

He's a grown up now -- Team Captain and all -- he shouldn't be fricken head-hunting at the blue line anyways -- and he needs to get his ass back to the defensive zone and play defense.

nyuseg.png

Wings are moving to the Eastern Conference next year: http://www.detnews.com/article/20110930/SPORTS0104/109300378/1128/sports0103/Ilitch-on-the-Wings--%E2%80%98We%E2%80%99re-gonna-have-a-new-arena%E2%80%99

Q . OK, once and for all, are you gonna get the Wings out of the Western Conference or not?

A . The commissioner (Gary Bettman) promised me I was next. We even had a meeting over lunch this past season, and he had all his people here, and he goes, 'Yeah, I promised Mike he'd be the next one to go in the Eastern Conference.' So I expect to be in next year. Jimmy D (Devellano) is on the phone every other week reminding them.

Yay, no more playoff games at 10 PM next season.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I wonder which division Detroit ends up in, Northeast makes the most sense. Lets throw out Boston/Buffalo and make room for the Wings :P, can't wait for the extra match ups with the Wings just like the Norris division days.