The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

Yeah Gardiner has been great.

In other news, Macarthur has a hearing for a hit last night. There was no injury and it was pretty mild, but it was a stupid hit for sure. Guessing he gets 1 preseason and 2 regular season games.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Oh God, toronto is never going to make the playoffs now :(

It hasn't actually been confirmed yet.

I trust Mike Ilitch, but it's Bettman who won't keep his word. I hope the Wings move to the Atlantic, the Devils move to the Southeast, and Winnipeg moves to the Central. Knowing Bettman, though, he'll want to still give the Penguins a free ride to the playoffs while [bleep]ing over Canada again by moving the Wings to the Northeast. I'm just looking forward to more away games (especially playoffs) in EST and more Original Six match ups. Not constantly losing to a team that chokes in the semi-finals every year would be cool too.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Oh God, toronto is never going to make the playoffs now :(

It hasn't actually been confirmed yet.

I trust Mike Ilitch, but it's Bettman who won't keep his word. I hope the Wings move to the Atlantic, the Devils move to the Southeast, and Winnipeg moves to the Central. Knowing Bettman, though, he'll want to still give the Penguins a free ride to the playoffs while [bleep]ing over Canada again by moving the Wings to the Northeast. I'm just looking forward to more away games (especially playoffs) in EST and more Original Six match ups. Not constantly losing to a team that chokes in the semi-finals every year would be cool too.

I would not mind the Wings in the Northeast, they would more fun to play than the Sabres. A change like this would definitely keep things interesting next year.

That game was awful. And grabo got injured, luckily not seriously.

Brutal downie hit on campoli during TBL - MTL, curious to see what shanahan does with that.

polvCwJ.gif

Agreed awful game all around, Wilson needs to do something about the PK or we will not improve from last season. Really really disappointing when you see guys left open in front of the new for tap ins. That happened 3 times last night. Reimer should have also covered the post better on Helm's goal, forgettable game for sure.

Oh and Downie's always been a tool, I have always hated the guy ever since his days in the OHL.

Edit: Just saw the video, I think it was Malone who made the hit. Downie is still a tool though. :P

The Jets just signed Mark Scheifele (18) to an entry level contract worth $925,000 plus up to $700,000 in bonuses. I don't know if anyone other than Jets fans know who this kid is, but he had a phenomenal pre-season with 4G 4A in 5 games. From the games that I watched, he's a really talented kid, but I don't know if he'll be able to keep up with the vets in the NHL, he's just too young. He can play 9 games in the NHL before the Jets have to decide whether to keep him or send him down.

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=590889&navid=DL|WPG|home

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377300

Yeah, I heard. I admit I was surprised they took him so high, but it looks like their scouts had their wits about them; he's played really well.

The 9 game cushion is helpful for sure, do you know if they'd send him to junior, or the ahl? If they send him to the ahl it still burns up a year of his contract..

In leafs news, Jake Gardiner makes the team, Keith Aulie gets sent down. Looks like Cody Franson is going to be the seventh D for a while, which I don't know that I agree with. He was good enough to play 15 mins a night in one of the best defenses in the league last year (nashville), yet Mike Komisarek gets the nod instead of him?

That said, Komi has had quite a good camp.

polvCwJ.gif

I've been really surprised with Scheifele. I hope he shoots the lights out. I remember some oiler fans saying we should pick him at 19 with the LA pick, boy that was not even close :lol:

One funny thing, I was watching the prospect tourny in Penticton and I think it was Oilers vs. Jets, and the announcer kept saying "SHAY-fly" instead of "Shy-flee", so now everytime I see his name I chuckle a bit :P

Staurolite.png

Yeah, I heard. I admit I was surprised they took him so high, but it looks like their scouts had their wits about them; he's played really well.

I was too until, during draft day, they said it makes sense since Dale Hawerchuk coached him in Juniors and really said good things about him. With the praise that Dale gave him I really hope he does have the talent and personality to succeed, whether with Barrie or Winnipeg this year.

25zhwts.png

[email protected] - EoS Former Leader - Message if you need anything

Scouting/the draft is always a bit hit or miss, of course...on the one hand, for instance, a bunch of prominent scouts said that Jake Gardiner shouldn't have gone in the first round back in 08, but now he's making the team straight out of college and was a PPG in the preseason.

Of course, that doesn't mean much, but it just goes to show that time is the only thing that really tells how prospects pan out.

Any edmonton fans here? There have been a bunch of rumours of TO shipping Carl Gunnarsson to the oilers, their woes on D are well spoken for.

I figure Hemsky is the only guy we'd want back (obviously we'd have to add to gunnarsson to get him) as we only really need top 6 guys and edmonton probably won't want to give up any of their young core.

polvCwJ.gif

K so we just gave up a fourth for david steckel...

Trade makes no sense, Steckel is a great faceoff man but that's about it, we already have Zigomanis who's basically the same thing.

Although, as someone else said: Steckel is arguably the best shutdown centre in the league, he's shut down crosby for 9 months :P

polvCwJ.gif

According to devils/caps fans, he's got a good reach but isn't particularly mobile. They aren't really much enamored of him.

I guess we'll see how he does.

polvCwJ.gif

Yeah the Leafs definitely look like an improved team this year. Montreal didn't play too bad either, but it looked like they just couldn't finish tonight. The best news is that hockey is finally back :thumbsup:.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato