Mods, Admins and.....

Now as we all know we have admins.

The 'uberkingsuperlords' of the forum, they decide the new things and have the right to change things and such. they are are the leaders around here. They'll ultimately decide if they like this suggestion or not.

Mods.

The mods are not the leaders in changing things but they're the leaders in keeping the forum clean.

and finally members.

These people are more important then you think, they are what keeps the forum alive.

I propose we have a new type of person, The trusted member.

The trusted member is a member who has been trusted in the forum, only admins can give this title. it allows them to do things that they normally wouldn't be allowed to do such as have bigger sig sizes or avatar sizes and become specific owners of subforums. aswell as that its a nice to be told that your trusted :)

These people will be made responsible for representing the forum and must active.

-Yes its the best idea in the entire world, I love you hextriplet (Reason)

-I really loved your idea and its the best in the entire world but it wouldn't work, I love you hextriplet (Reason)

meatlover.png

I think when people are trusted on the forums, and the current Admins and Mods see potential in them... those members become Mods/Admins/Staff themselves eventually...

If you're interested in more responsibility, help out around the forums more, in Website Updates and Corrections, Help & Advice, etc., before you expect a special rank or title.

This new "middle ground" seems kind of redundant.

Edit: Just to clarify, when I say "You," I'm not meaning you specifically, Hex. I mean users in general.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Yeah....no. Give people power, they abuse it. Look at George Bush, Prime example.

lolwtfbbq ? Time and place for everything. And that was just useless.

And, he wasn't even "given" power.

Anyway, Hex, I'm gonna have to say this is actually a really good idea. It seems like you've thought this out well, and conveyed your thoughts clearly.

You obviously are an active and aware member of the Tip.It community, and I would really like to hear more such ideas from you in the future. This definitley gets my support.

Just kidding. It actually doesn't.

Yeah....no. Give people power, they abuse it. Look at George Bush, Prime example.

Okay, bad example. Still, no need to be a Toss-Off.

Popoto.~<3

Okay, bad example. Still, no need to be a Toss-Off.

Yeah, sorry. :P

I just mentally "lol'd" when I read that.

Since everything on Forum Updates & Suggestions is duped, I have an answer ready for this too. :P

Long-time users actually have quite a bit of influence already. The nice thing about this is that "Trusted users" can change how much influence they have themselves by their, instead of a trusted member being standardized in a user group so that they all have the same amount of power and influence and glory and whatnot. I know that this isn't entirely satisfying, it's not as concrete as having heightened forum permissions, but believe me it's there.

C2b6gs7.png

Like Dsavi said, all that would be doing is putting a rank, or special privileges, to users who have that kind of trust already. Once you've been around long enough, and posted constructively etc, you gain respect, and more than any rank can give.

That said, its not that bad of an idea. And you did explain it pretty well :)

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

What sort of powers would you be wanting these so called 'trusted users' to have? The only real extra powers that users can have is mod powers... and that's what mods are for. And also the signature limit has nothing to do with how trusted a user is, it's so that it doesn't take half an hour for a page to load because people have like 10 images in their signature. And what do you mean by owning a subforum? I really don't get that idea at all...

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Other forums do this and it creates a horrible division between community members. Some 'Trusted' members belittle the other members of the community. Sure we could then remove their privileges if they start getting cocky, but why even go there in the first place? We have trusted members - they're called Staff. Does that mean that we don't trust anyone else on these boards? Absolutely not, but I don't see a point in giving out a rank just for the hell of it that just leads to problems. When you see someone active post constructively regularly, you'll know those are your valued community members. They don't need a couple words under their avatar to proclaim it to the world.

Sorry, but this goes hand in hand with the reputation system IPB comes with and why it is disabled on these forums.

No.

1.png
generic_signature.png

Was suggested before and was tossed away because it will just rip apart the community. If someone is deserving of it, they already have the respect with no need of a rank. If they are trusted enough, then they will be promoted, to for example, moderators or website crew members.

j0xPu5R.png

I like the idea, but isn't the post count feature a good enough substitute? I know i have argued this before, and some people will say "it doesn't matter how many posts a person has, it doesn't mean they are trusted/reliable"

I would still argue that the majority of people that have a decent 2k+ post count are trusted/reliable.

The idea is OK, however the thing with the siggy sizes just sounds silly.

One of the problems i see with this is with forums such as Help and Advice, i mean - i like hanging out there and giving my advice/sharing my knowledge but there are many posts i don't contribute to because i'm not in the position to give advice. (This is one of the things that really irritates me at the moment, people that "know everything there is to know about runescape")

So overall i would say no, but something similar might work. I don't think more power/status for yet another group of people is entirely necessary.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

There's the whole thing again with post count, time you've been a member and all that. Obviously there's one thing they look at when they choose staff: usefulness and quality of their posts, not necessarily quantity or length of time on TIF.

I can't say it wouldn't be a good idea, but there would have to be some sort of limit... Bigger sigs/avvys are unpractical, as they make pages load slower. Modship is taken very seriously, and there are other things at stake besides having the forums overrun with 'half-mods'. It wouldn't help with moderation much because we've got a lot of mods at the moment and things are run pretty well (bad posts are reported and locked within minutes).

However, it occurred to me that you could have a rank like 'Helper' for people who have knowledge of certain things (like coding or graphic design) who offer good, useful advice about their 'specialty' on a regular basis and [possibly] help with the site (maybe bug testing code and such, or transparencizing :P pictures for the databases)

I agree with the above posts; it will get kind of [bleep]ed up. people are bigheaded and selfish.

And Hawkxs, thats a fantastic idea - I also think a nice thing would be under your group you could put your expertise and mods could select people into different groups.

Trusted users have to be "trusted", nothing else. Post count is not important, quality of posts are not important its just there trustworthiness.

Ability to post HTML?

meatlover.png

No.

First of all it would cause arguments of why certain people would be trusted and those who aren't and think they deserve to be. If your posts are useful and informative then you'll be 'trusted' by other members of the community without the need of a stupid title.

Also, double no for posting HTML, that will never happen and is unneeded.

It's not a clan. It doesn't need trusted members, pk leader and such. And the sig-sizes in difference? Hmmm...

WildernessGuardSigmadebyFir.gif

Feel free to stop by our community for lots of new experiences, alot of new friendly faces and proffesional ingame experience.

Visit us at:

WG forums

WG Memberlist

Since everything on Forum Updates & Suggestions is duped, I have an answer ready for this too. :P

Long-time users actually have quite a bit of influence already. The nice thing about this is that "Trusted users" can change how much influence they have themselves by their, instead of a trusted member being standardized in a user group so that they all have the same amount of power and influence and glory and whatnot. I know that this isn't entirely satisfying, it's not as concrete as having heightened forum permissions, but believe me it's there.

The subforum suggestions weren't duped. :P

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Anyway, Hex, I'm gonna have to say this is actually a really good idea. It seems like you've thought this out well, and conveyed your thoughts clearly.

You obviously are an active and aware member of the Tip.It community, and I would really like to hear more such ideas from you in the future. This definitley gets my support.

Just kidding. It actually doesn't.

An absolutely disgusting response. I was shocked to see you represent Tip.It.

You obviously are an active and aware member of the Tip.It community,
Look at his point count. Look at his join date.

You can't expect every member to be aware of these topics. If you want to put the blame on the users, add the subject to this thread.

*-P.K.M-* Website

Dbzruler72.jpeg

mostorganized2.jpg

An absolutely disgusting response. I was shocked to see you represent Tip.It. Look at his point count. Look at his join date. You can't expect every member to be aware of these topics. If you want to put the blame on the users, add the subject to this thread.

Look, I'm sorry, okay ?

I didn't mean to offend you or Hextriplet. It was just that I was having a bad day and I needed to vent. I dont have many friends so I spend my time here on Tip.It posting hurtful comments to make myself feel better. Again, sorry I offended you, but, I'm sure that in due time, we can be friends.

xoxo

Adrenal.

The subforum suggestions weren't duped. :P

Do I detect sarcasm? I think not.

C2b6gs7.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually known some forums that have this "trusted member" feature (or, as they call it, "distinguished member"), and I actually like this idea.

Though, shouldn't other titles get priority? For instance, "retired staff", and a picture and text color for "clan official" and "IRC channel staff".

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I've actually known some forums that have this "trusted member" feature (or, as they call it, "distinguished member"), and I actually like this idea.

Though, shouldn't other titles get priority? For instance, "retired staff", and a picture and text color for "clan official" and "IRC channel staff".

Clan official isn't much of a "special rank". I wouldn't mind seeing a "retired staff" rank though.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Clan Official is just for clan forum use and is not meant to be treated as a rank - its just so people can see who is an official leader in the war forum. IRC staff do not have one because they don't want one.

Generally, staff are free to ask for a rank when they retire. Some people don't want a custom rank or even a retired staff rank. Just up to the person, is all. Doesn't REALLY matter anyways as we have a list of retired staff on our staff list. http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=staff.htm#retired

1.png
generic_signature.png