Great Quotes - Post Here

kidurdude

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know whether or not these have already been posted, but:

"He who controls the past controls the future : who controls the present controls the past"

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face -- forever."

Both George Orwell, from Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Marvin: "I am at a rough estimate thirty billion times more intelligent than you. Let me give you an example. Think of a number, any number."

Zem: "Er, five."

Marvin: "Wrong. You see?"

The mattress was much impressed by this and realised that it was in the presence of a not unremarkable mind. -- Life, the Universe and Everything, c. 9

Zaphod: "If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now." - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, c. 12

Zaphod: "I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat inside me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, c. 6

Zaphod: "You guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off." - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, c. ?

Slartibartfast: "What does it matter? Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I'd far rather be happy than right any day."

Vroomfondel:"I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!" - Vroomfondel, a philosopher, c. 25 --- I like that one: that's proper philosophy, I say.

"To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone capable of getting themselves made President should by no means be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem." -- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

• 1 month later...

Coach Carter

Coach Ken Carter:

What is your deepest fear?

Timo Cruz:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

vistame09copyhr8.png

Veni, Vidi, Vici - Julius Caesar.

It's latin, and means "I came, I saw, I conquered". :)

its actually "Veni, Vidi, Vinci"

i had latin in my first 3 years at high school (thats what you guys call it in the US?), one of the biggest mistakes of my life......

Veni, Vidi, Vici - Julius Caesar.

It's latin, and means "I came, I saw, I conquered". :)

its actually "Veni, Vidi, Vinci"

i had latin in my first 3 years at high school (thats what you guys call it in the US?), one of the biggest mistakes of my life......

"i came, i saw, and now i dont believe my own eyes"

and, check my sig

ashmsig1uq.png

overseerlp5.png

R.I.P. Shiva and Steve

I really like the Nelson Mandella Quote...

Also I like a lot of Fight Club quotes...

A Few here..

F*** off with your sofa units and serine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

-Tyler Durden

Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

-Tyler Durden

First you have to give up, first you have to *know*... not fear... *know*... that someday you're gonna die.

-Tyler Durden

I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [cabbage] we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

-Tyler Durden

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

-Tyler Durden

And a true favorite that I try to keep in mind going through life.

"Next Play."

-Coach K (Duke Blue Devils Coach). It doesn't apply just to basketball..It can apply to life, a mistake, a car accident, whatever. Just keep your head up and remember that it isn't the end.

• 1 month later...
knightlite: Wars, come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal

-tupac

isnt tht on triple x 2?

my quotes..

What u talking bout willis :shock:

put tht in ur pipe and smoke it :twisted:

sh*t for brains (mind my language)

is it coz i is black :?:

\../, ( * . * ) ,\../

"I've always found the best way to learn a game is playing it anyways"

-dodgeball

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you do."

I forgot this guys name but it's a good quote, it is pretty much defending athiest beliefs behind the reasoning that other religions only believe in one god, and are "athiest" to all the others.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde

"In the sunset of dissolution, everything is illuminated by the aura of nostalgia." - Milan Kundera

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - God, in Futurama

(Yes, it's from Futurama, but that episode really changed the way I look at religion... That quote basically sums it all up. Does anyone know where they got the material for that episode from? I'd be interested in reading a book having to do with it.)

"To be truly human is to be constantly exploring" - Not sure

"Just be." - Not sure

(This one is just so short, but explains so much to me. In fact I think I might have come up with it... Which would probably explain why I like it so much...)

"When you don't give people a chance to succeed, then by definition, they don't." - Numb3rs?

"There are no facts, only interpretations." - Nietzsche

(I could post many other Nietzsche quotes here, but I think I've done enough for one post.)

Here are some I found interesting :)

"This age thinks better of a gilded fool than a threadbare saint in wisdom's school" -Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451)

"Don't face a problem, burn it." -Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451)

This may sound like a bad quote (because it is) and it just says that not all quotes are good, even if they are said from famous people (or whatever). So if you disagree with a quote, it means that you have succesfully used your brain to figure out what is right or what is wrong, and that is good :)

"So now do you see why books are hated and feared? They show the pores in the face of life. the comfortable people want only wax moon faces, poreless, hairless, expressionless. We are living in a time when flowers are trying to live on flowers, instead of growing on good rain and black loam. Even fireworks, for all their prettiness, come from the chemistry of the earth. Yet somehow we think we can grow, feeding on flowers and fireworks, without completing the cycle back to reality. Do you know the legend of Hercules and Antaeus, the giant wrestler, whose strength was incredible so long as he stood firmly on the earth? But when he was held, rootless, in midair, by Hercules, he perished easily. If there isn't something in that legend for us today, in this city, in our time, then I am completely insane." - Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451)

Gotta love it 8)

"The most dangerous dangerous enemy to truth and freedom, is the solid unmoving cattle of the majority." - Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451)

"The Devil can cite scripture for his purpose." - Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451)

"If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn." -Ray Bradbury again...

Its scary how this applies to everyone.

"The most dangerous dangerous enemy to truth and freedom, is the solid unmoving cattle of the majority." - Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451)

Wow, that is a really great quote. I think you've inspired me to read Fahrenheit 451 once again... I guess I read it about 8 years ago. I don't remember being that fascinated with it when I read it then, but these quotes, and my recent amazement while reading The Martian Chronicles have made me decide to give the book another chance.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

Ha, very nice quote.

For mine, a friend told me this one a few days ago.

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?

Nescio, sed sentio fieri, et excrucior

I hate and I love - why do I do this, perhaps you ask?

I don't know, but I feel it being done, and I am crucified

Anyways, I find it very moving. I can't really find the words to explain what it means, but for me it relates to how awful the evil in the world truely is...

PDM

PDM

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

Ha, very nice quote.

For mine, a friend told me this one a few days ago.

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?

Nescio, sed sentio fieri, et excrucior

I hate and I love - why do I do this, perhaps you ask?

I don't know, but I feel it being done, and I am crucified

Anyways, I find it very moving. I can't really find the words to explain what it means, but for me it relates to how awful the evil in the world truely is...

PDM

I don't know the speaker or the context of the quote, but it makes me think of the struggle each human has between his sinfulness and his goodness, and the pain that results from that struggle.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Prince Hamlet, from "Hamlet", by Shakespeare

"When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions." - Claudius, from "Hamlet"

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton