20 - Jan 10 - The Orb of Oculus

Stev

When I first saw the title, my impression was either A) A quest, B) A new mage equipment, or C) Both of the previous idea. Needless to say I'm surprised after reading through. Hope this thing works out well, though I was wondering if there's a need to create a separate camera-like item instead of building it into the main game menu.

I thought it was a FunOrb game. :P Seems an interesting item even though I won't use it much (if at all other than the day of release), I hope it doesn't get interrupted by combat though.
imagangster.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does seem pretty cool, but I think it might just start a surge of "How do I record....?" posts on the forums. Anyway, should be nice to see what people can make from using this :thumbup:

Pretty much ever since I started playing Runescape, I wanted a feature like this. Whether it was for malicious reasons or not, but I'll keep hush about that. :???:

I wonder if they will restrict the camera's capabilities to the general region, as many players would use it to scout out areas far away in PvP instead of for the primary use (creating machinima).

If the aforementioned scenario came into play, it may add an interesting new set of strategies into the clan world..

they thought of that. You will need to wield it its two handed and gives a large debuff as well as having a range limit according to a j-mod. They said you COULD use it for that but it would be very risky.

Melencholy.png

Questcape first achieved: Sept 20, 2009
99 agility march 11th 2010

99 Magic - some point in 2012

I don't like that the name Machinima is brought up on Runescape news post. The item will be very useful i bet, but from my view it's unecessary to make a whole post about it.

When i hear that Machinima affects the game in any way, it makes me think "What about us other players who often try to work hard ideas for the game, but we are overlooked easily..."?

I am POSITIVE that i could bring simple and good suggestions for Runescape, but do you know what? Jagex don't give a darn.

MY LAST SUGGESTION

That Jagex should make duels of bosses fighting.

Kril'tursorth (+3 Sergeants) vs Corporeal Beast

King Black Dragon VS General Graardor

That these "duels" should be uploaded to Jagex Runescape Youtube channel. I asked politely for a Jagex moderator to reply back if this was realistic, good or anything...but they never replied.

Quite a cool item, but I agree that it shouldn't be released instead of a real content update. It's great for all those video makers out there, but the majority of us are more interested in the game itself.

By the way, vegeta, what does Jagex say about its power level?

I don't mind if this is released as an update. The amount of people who make videos is astounding, I feel this would be useful to more people than most mini-games end up being.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Only Jagex would find a way to make something unrelated to game content easier :-? . I hope it will at least be good.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Tbh id rather have our actual ingame cameras be updated. Zoom in Zoom out, first person etc.

This.

Seriously, do we really need an item to have full control of our cameras? In other MMOs you already have that ability inherently.

If this orb will float around and let us scout ahead though, this might actually be useful for other things besides vid making. :twisted:

Will this be available to all players or just members? (I tried checking the RSOF, but it won't load for some reason...)

mod.jpg

---

Looks awesome. I can't wait to see all the different angles we'll get. Could hopefully be used to get some spoilers. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bassy.

Yay, an update available to all! :thumbsup:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

What's with the machinima/clan event stuff? I hope the end of the update year isn't an excuse not to make content updates anymore. I mean, honestly, giving out an item that helps with making youtube movies and calling it an update? That's worse than a quest without storyline :P

+1

i feel that the focus should be on improving/developing stuff that adds value to the gameplay.

Opieous.png
99 Woodcutting 99 Constitution | 99 Prayer

Scapin since July 05'

Personally I'd love to see baxtorian falls without having to stand IN them.

Well finally be able to appreciate those sweeping vistas they placed everywhere.

But still... I'd much more perfer putting all those chairs in the game to use. All those benches facing nice pieceful scenes, and not a a rear to plop on them.

What's with the machinima/clan event stuff? I hope the end of the update year isn't an excuse not to make content updates anymore. I mean, honestly, giving out an item that helps with making youtube movies and calling it an update? That's worse than a quest without storyline :P

+1

i feel that the focus should be on improving/developing stuff that adds value to the gameplay.

There is more to a game then just game play. There are also community and entertainment aspects. Jagex is touching upon the two latter choices. If you do not like it, find a different game or create your own.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

To the complainers, the amount of the RS Population that creates videos is extremely high and whether the videos are good or not, Jagex are pleasing a large amount of the RS Population doing this. Also, the idea of being able to explore more, by getting different angles on stuff, seeing over stuff etc. just sends shivers down my spine. I always love playing in a beautiful game and I love just seeing it all. :)

Wow that sounds awesome. Hope it comes out soon.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

+1

There is more to a game then just game play. There are also community and entertainment aspects. Jagex is touching upon the two latter choices. If you do not like it, find a different game or create your own.

Easy there bro... it all depends on the way you think... for me the community and entertainment aspects lie within the "game-play".

and if ever i have the opportunity of creating my own game, i will. You needn't worry about it :)

cheers!

Opieous.png
99 Woodcutting 99 Constitution | 99 Prayer

Scapin since July 05'

This is brilliant! Just today I was thinking of a way to remove your RS character from the camera view; I came up with masks but you know what, screw that, I'll use this now! :mrgreen:

I also see we got quite a bit of machinima flamers here... hehe. Maybe this will change your minds a little bit.

Because machinima is so accessible to the masses there is going to be a lot of it floating around the web. Basic machinima is also very easy to do. If you combine them both, ease and accessibility, you're going to end up with lots of "lower quality" machinima. What I mean by that, is that its either boring or just dead awful. It's not low quality because the lack of equipment (not too much a problem in RuneScape machinima though) but a lack of good ideas/work. That being said, I can surely assure you that there is some great machinima out there that rivals or can easily beat Hollywood movies and series.

That being said, machinima is like digging. You're going to find a lot of dirt and rubbish, but eventually you will find a treasure or a gem.

Machinima can be pretty damn amazing let me tell you that. But just because you see some of the "low quality" ones, doesn't mean there aren't any good ones. I personally cannot state some of the RuneScape ones becuase I've been out of it for so long, but I could name a lot from some other games.

--

Also don't confuse PK/Game interaction (bank vids, bosses, etc) with my usage of machinima; to me they shouldn't be classified as such. Music videos are on the half-way though.

But still, this is a pretty important news from Jagex. Giving recongiztion to machinima and hosting another contest! I'm definitely entering that!

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Videos about how to do something or achievements I can understand.

Making up something different in a game, well... I put that in the same category with using a phone to send ascii messages.

Just lol at that... :roll:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

We're not flamers just because it doesn't interest us and we find it unappealing. We're just not nerds. There's a difference. :thumbup:

It really was a light-hearted post. The word flamer wasn't accurate but what was I supposed to use? :razz:

Making up something different in a game, well... I put that in the same category with using a phone to send ascii messages.

Er, what are you trying to say? A person who wants to tell a story has to use a cheap camera and shoot a medieval setting in a suburban backyard?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

We're not flamers just because it doesn't interest us and we find it unappealing. We're just not nerds. There's a difference. :thumbup:

It really was a light-hearted post. The word flamer wasn't accurate but what was I supposed to use? :razz:

Er, what are you trying to say? A person who wants to tell a story has to use a cheap camera and shoot a medieval setting in a suburban backyard?

I guess so, I don't see the problem with creativity tbh

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png