20 - Jan 10 - The Orb of Oculus

Stev

I wonder if this new item can be used for pvp or boss-hunting videos or other combat related videos, or if there will be limitations strictly for machinima. I am interested to see how this turns out!

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this new item can be used for pvp or boss-hunting videos or other combat related videos, or if there will be limitations strictly for machinima. I am interested to see how this turns out!

It was my understanding that it would be used in the weapon slot, and would have bad combat bonuses. So you would need an extra person to come stand on the sidelines and record.

I dont really care for machinima videos but I do like recording events that me and my friends do and this would be really good for that.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Oh look, SirHemen is whining again. What a surprise. rk.png

I don't like that the name Machinima is brought up on Runescape news post. The item will be very useful i bet, but from my view it's unecessary to make a whole post about it.

Really? You're complaining because they made a post about it? At what juncture, please do tell, would such a post be "necessary"? Nice relevance, "They didn't have a GUN UP TO THEIR HEAD, and the diary wasn't life or death, so that makes it bad."

When i hear that Machinima affects the game in any way, it makes me think "What about us other players who often try to work hard ideas for the game, but we are overlooked easily..."?

False dichotomy, you're suggesting that if Jagex hadn't worked on this orb that they would be working on stuff that "hard working players" suggested. And I'm sure the people who make machinima will be glad to know you consider them the issue of the actual "Hard working players" not getting their ideas accepted.

When you bring up a suggestion that qualifies as simple and good, then we'll talk.

MY LAST SUGGESTION

That Jagex should make duels of bosses fighting.

Kril'tursorth (+3 Sergeants) vs Corporeal Beast

King Black Dragon VS General Graardor

Really? This is it? You wanted Jagex to upload videos of boss battles and this is the master idea that was ruined by those [bleep] machinima makers? When you said "good" I falsely assumed you were going to actually suggest something that would be interesting for more than, say, two minutes.

That these "duels" should be uploaded to Jagex Runescape Youtube channel. I asked politely for a Jagex moderator to reply back if this was realistic, good or anything...but they never replied.

So you bash Jagex for making a post that is unnecessary, on an idea that you say took no thought (or at least less thought than other ideas) and then you whine that they didn't make an unnecessary post as to whether or not dey lieked ur kewl idea, on an idea that probably had a whole ten seconds, utilizing a single brain cell, to think up.

Oh the irony.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

We're not flamers just because it doesn't interest us and we find it unappealing. We're just not nerds. There's a difference. :thumbup:

How about "Troll"?

Seriously, have a day off....

OT: I'm personally looking forward to what this has to offer

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

Haven't looked at RS machimina but on one side it's pretty cool that Jagex helps players be creative with these tools. On the other hand, pretty much every single RS player is going to upload a video on YT, it's gonna be tougher to find good machimina for those interested in that.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

Haven't looked at RS machimina but on one side it's pretty cool that Jagex helps players be creative with these tools. On the other hand, pretty much every single RS player is going to upload a video on YT, it's gonna be tougher to find good machimina for those interested in that.

That is true...the cost of accessibility. :sad:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

WOW!!!

If I am understanding this correctly, it would have been extremely nice to have had it back when my clan presented a 4-day (2 hrs a day) mini-game we called "RS Survivor" on the Isle of Karamja. The diverse challenges both teams faced, the agility course they ran, the voting off of members, even the end when winners were presented with expensive gifts would all have been even more wonderful had it been preserved in a video.

I am looking forward to this and do hope it can be utilized by someone on "dial-up" without too much difficulty.

I am what I am! Acknowledging this is the beginning and my growth is yet to end!!

I am actually very displeased with the idea. What made a lot of RuneScape videos great was that videomakers had to think creatively to get certain camera angles to help further their video. Now anyone with Hypercam and a stolen copy of Sony Vegas can do what was once considered very unique, that took some actual thought. I hope the Oculus either has limited use, or doesn't take away from current methods of acheiving different camera angles.

Selfish sounding, maybe, but it takes me a long time to get close-ups like in some of the videos I have. I really don't want a 10gp item to take away what took me a long time to figure out. Alas, at least they didn't add a Fully-functional greenscreen box.

Alas, at least they didn't add a Fully-functional greenscreen box.

That would have been extremely awesome. :(

I do understand why they didnt do that though.

It's already possible to do a perfect greenscreen, and in more than just a player owned house

Think about it, do you really want them throwing EVERY single thing at video makers, over saturating YouTube with a bunch of poorly produced pieces? I know I don't. People who know what they're doing with editing software have everything they already need at their disposal, with the exception of characters staring down at you from above (Also possible, and extremely difficult to do, only through a graphical glitch).

Be prepared to sift through hundreds of hundreds of shoddily done videos, just to find one worth watchin, MAYBE.

It's already possible to do a perfect greenscreen, and in more than just a player owned house

Think about it, do you really want them throwing EVERY single thing at video makers, over saturating YouTube with a bunch of poorly produced pieces? I know I don't. People who know what they're doing with editing software have everything they already need at their disposal, with the exception of characters staring down at you from above (Also possible, and extremely difficult to do, only through a graphical glitch).

Be prepared to sift through hundreds of hundreds of shoddily done videos, just to find one worth watchin, MAYBE.

Mmh, true. The only real thing I need is for Jagex to remove the function where the camera moves an inch every 30 seconds. I hope its taken away when using the Orb.

I am actually very displeased with the idea. What made a lot of RuneScape videos great was that videomakers had to think creatively to get certain camera angles to help further their video. Now anyone with Hypercam and a stolen copy of Sony Vegas can do what was once considered very unique, that took some actual thought. I hope the Oculus either has limited use, or doesn't take away from current methods of acheiving different camera angles.

Selfish sounding, maybe, but it takes me a long time to get close-ups like in some of the videos I have. I really don't want a 10gp item to take away what took me a long time to figure out. Alas, at least they didn't add a Fully-functional greenscreen box.

I understand the logic behind that, but that is a cost of making your movie NOW rather than later. Eventually all things will be updated so its easier to do, but that shouldn't discourage you because that's how life is. However, the creative minds of good machinimators will continue into the "Orb era" because, quite frankly, this orb won't solve all of our machinima problems. It's a great step, but other things are still needing to be 'upgraded': that's where creativity will play another role.

What that situation reminds me of is when the Model Viewer for WoW came out. It's basically a 3rd Party software that allows you to extract the models from the game into a blue/green/whatever screen. Compared to filming in-game (which RuneScape still is), machinimators could load up Model Viewer and use lots of different characters, wearing all sorts of armour and clothing, while never having to log in once.

That fixed a big "problem" of machinima. However, it wasn't the solution. There was another software, Map Viewer, which extracted the world map like it did the models. You had to align the character to the background just right so it wouldn't look fake. If you didn't work on it, it would look horribly worse than filming in-game. But that's where your skill comes into play. You make the two work. Later, you also had to get all the movements right, in your editing program. In Model Viewer your character only stays in one place. It can walk, run, do emotes, etc, but won't move. Again, you had to use your skill and creativity to make emotes and movement flow smoothly.

In essence, this Orb will greatly help RuneScape machinima-making; but won't fix other problems.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg