Jagex Calling Police

Stev

:lol: That's epic!

Really you bumped up a topic thats been dead for a month. For THAT.

And you just continued with him... oh wait... damn it...

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not buyin this story for a split second, sorry.

Unless in Canada there is an abundance of police who have nothing to do. In America we have a shortage of law enforcement and I couldn't imagine them being able to realistically investigate something like this.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

What I find shocking is how the person told jagex their real identity: haven't we learned (even by jagex' stronghold of safety) that you should never ever tell someone you don't know face-to-face your real identity so that they can look you up?

What's wrong with you guys?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

What I find shocking is how the person told jagex their real identity: haven't we learned (even by jagex' stronghold of safety) that you should never ever tell someone you don't know face-to-face your real identity so that they can look you up?

Try and make an account without doing that...

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

How do you think Jagex charges credit cards?

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

This. And your IP adress.

WarBlastoise.png

IP adresses are only a direction to your ISP, (though if needed ISP's are forced by the european goverment to store this information for 2 months..

And who ever uses credit cards these days?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

IP adresses are only a direction to your ISP, (though if needed ISP's are forced by the european goverment to store this information for 2 months..

And who ever uses credit cards these days?

i went to sign up for the members. And the jublix asked me for my irl details and i was lik wow reported.

OT: I think this was a good decision by Jagex/Law enforcement. In an average town the police aren't going to have many more important things to do then saving a life, and if they got there in time, they could have stopped him by force if necessary. Also @ the Jihad in America account name comment, I completely agree with you. People need to realize that the internet IS real life, and that things like that need to be taken seriously.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Ok I didn't read all 10 pages so if there's another explanation then alright however in regards to his IP being used to track him down - Doubtful.

The IP itself can be recorded and the ISP contacted but the ISP *WILL NOT* give out their customers contact details to jagex, They would need a court order (I doubt even a call from the police would do it without a court order), if the ISP gives out the details without their hand being forced then they have no excercised the customers right to privacy and would be putting themselves in a position where they could be sued by the customer.

So basically - I doubt his IP was used to track him down so I really doubt that this even happened.

Simple. They have your IP which is basically your address. Most they have to do is contact your ISP which is actually legal (In Canada anyways).

With an IP, you can narrow it down to the city.

So you know the city, but still not the exact location nor his name >_>

Since he was using the Brimhaven Arena. His a member. They just use the info from his Visa.

5th_Base.png

Ok I didn't read all 10 pages so if there's another explanation then alright however in regards to his IP being used to track him down - Doubtful.

The IP itself can be recorded and the ISP contacted but the ISP *WILL NOT* give out their customers contact details to jagex, They would need a court order (I doubt even a call from the police would do it without a court order), if the ISP gives out the details without their hand being forced then they have no excercised the customers right to privacy and would be putting themselves in a position where they could be sued by the customer.

So basically - I doubt his IP was used to track him down so I really doubt that this even happened.

It happens all of the time, Robotkill. There's a video on YouTube where a Jagex Moderator had contacted a player after muting them to say they must ring the number given, (The Mod supplied him with the phone number to a local police station), and if he didn't ring them to say he was okay and let them speak to his parents he'd be forced to send them to his house.

Suicide is very, very serious. People have taken their lives because of games, and this is no different. Joking about it is unacceptable.

Better to be safe than sorry.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

It happens all of the time, Robotkill. There's a video on YouTube where a Jagex Moderator had contacted a player after muting them to say they must ring the number given, (The Mod supplied him with the phone number to a local police station), and if he didn't ring them to say he was okay and let them speak to his parents he'd be forced to send them to his house.

Suicide is very, very serious. People have taken their lives because of games, and this is no different. Joking about it is unacceptable.

Due to the laws in place protecting customer privacy on ISP's, I get the impression that they must have know this individuals town by his billing information. Even though suicide is very serious, the laws are in place to protect people from people faking to be a company and obtaining someones address, which can lead to something far worse, like a homicide. Sadly the laws are in place because of those people who abuse a privilege and people sometimes get hurt because of it. What is even sadder is that, now-adays, the saying is "Better sorry than sued", which leads to a lot of harm because of people afraid to take risks.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Link to vid? I couldn't find it on my 43 second venture to Youtube.

guido_49.png

Jagex called the police on a fellow tifer the other day. Apparently saying "I'm fed up" means "I'm sick of living and I'm gonna go hang myself kthxbai"

Levon.png Bladewing.png

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

I have seen quite a few articles where people have made online gaming so much their life that they've taken their lives over it. Jagex knows that they've got an addictive game, and that's why when they do things like the upcoming bonus experience weekend that they have to put a cap on these things. I think it's a very good move by Jagex to care that much about their player base. Way to go Jagex! =D>

advent-children-cloud-honest1.jpg

99 Fishing 11/12/2006 790th fisher to 99

Former Tip.it Events team leader

This morning, a guy was on his way to join us for a game of non combat sc, he missed the game by a minute. When he realised it, he said 'imma go kill myself' and he ran away.

I thought he was joking and said 'lol', when I could have reported him and have the local police show up at his door. Lol! I know what I'm doing next time... :lol:

(maybe I can't advertise here, but 'fast sc' is a great non-combat stealing creation cc ;-) )

Police shows up at suspects door

Police: Do you play Runescape?

Player: Yes

Police: were you training fletching?

Player: Yes

Police: Third one today tbh.

PSML !!!

2hrmo37.jpg
limparse.png

Link to vid? I couldn't find it on my 43 second venture to Youtube.

The content within the video isn't suitable for these forums. :)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

As for Runscapew44's mention, I believe I heard that the subscriptions were done by phone. Phone numbers are extremely traceable.

My view:

I don't think when we're discussing this that we should be asking why Jagex did this, but we should be focusing more on the human mind. If there was any note of concern at all mentioning of suicide, our mind would normally tick into protective mode, and we'd often give advice. There are those who would laugh it off as a joke, but I have a feeling if they knew the seriousness of it that they would try to do something to avoid it. Awhile back I personally came across something like this and the person was serious, and multiple people reached out immediately, some personal friends of this person even made attempts to get the local police involved. That person is still alive today; I'm good friends with them now. Aside from that though, my point is this - It doesn't matter that Jagex did or did not call the police. Jagex was just being a concerned human being caring for his fellow man.

well since no1 has said it yet.

the above post. its probably the most inspiring post ive seen in along long time. nicely done and im glad to see we still have some sense of feeling intertwined into rs and the forums.