Jagex Calling Police

Stev

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bad thing was muting him. If he got muted, he would have stopped playing, then hung himself faster....

if he wasn't joking of course.

Why is everyone flaming Jagex for something that they could be legally responsible for. If they would have known a kid was going to commit suicide before he actually did, thye can be sued. This happened with my school system. A kid committed suicide and like 5 teachers knew, but did nothing. After he hung himself, the school said they thought he was joking and then they ended up paying 250 grand to the kids family.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

That's pretty stupid. Jagex is wasting the police's time.

How so?

Something along the lines of "it was posted online therefor it must be true"

Or, the picture above. :lol:

Good placement...good pic placement...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

An IRL friend of mine was at the Brimhaven agility arena and joking around said, "F your total," and, "Omg, gonna go hang myself." (Joking around of course).

Now, that's not what's up for discussion. He was reported and muted within a half hour and what completely baffled me was that the police actually showed up at his door!

They said, "You play an online game? We're told you were planning on hanging yourself?"

I did not know Jagex did this! It is absolutely incredible! I can see it as both good and bad.

What are your opinions?

Yes they've been doing this for a very long time, i remember one of my friends who got muted and in his appeal said he would kill himself if he wasn't unmuted, not long after the police showed up at his house.

Jagex are allowed to contact the authorities if someone is threatening to kill themself in real life on their game :)

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Signature_Lady_Gaga_3_by_Sed_rah.jpg

appmanagercrown.pngTKO Blitz Member | bluepd5.gifEx-Tempted Killers Council

Simple. They have your IP which is basically your address. Most they have to do is contact your ISP which is actually legal (In Canada anyways).

With an IP, you can narrow it down to the city.

Also, unless they were using a prepaid card, their mailing address would be in the billing information.

Simple. They have your IP which is basically your address. Most they have to do is contact your ISP which is actually legal (In Canada anyways).

With an IP, you can narrow it down to the city.

Also, unless they were using a prepaid card, their mailing address would be in the billing information.

Just to clarify peoples thoughts on how Jagex might have gotten this kind of information... Most businesses have a policy that states something along the lines of that if someones life is endangered and the are withholding information that could help prevent them from being harmed they are obliged to give it up.

If anyone is taking psychology classes you'll hear some tid bits about this kind of stuff. Businesses try to practice these moral and ethical standpoints because its a great disservice to the community to not show concern over another humans life (in business terms it ruins your reputation and makes you look like another careless/heartless business).

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

internet-24591.jpg

if it was real, you would of elaborated more. so imo, you're either making this stuff up for the lulz, or you're just bored and see what kind of comments you'll get for posting this.

Or I am completely serious and you are being a complete [wagon].

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I don't think you have given us the whole story. I doubt Jagex would do more than an e-mail with some information in it for one line. However, i would expect no less of them if somebody had said it numerous times. I would personally urge Tip.it admins to do the same if somebody here repeatedly mention self harm. I doubt Jagex would say 'Go see this guy now!!', it is more likely that they pass the information of what has been said to the police, then the police decide themselves how to handle it.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

IEven if they didn't care, I don't think this guy's 5$/month would have changed anything for Jagex.

The real thing would have been publicity:

Just think about it. Just about everytime we hear about something like that, the medias say that he was playing videogames. Now just imagine if they heard that he SAID it on a videogame. A lot of people whose memberships are paid by their parent's would have their parents upset, and a few of them might lose membership.

Now jlet's make some assumptions. 1000 persons*5$=5k$. Let's assume they would have kept playing for a year, that's 60k less $ in Jagex's coffers every year.

Now Jagex is nowhere near a company that this kind of things would affect, but the phone call to the police gets worthwile.

WarBlastoise.png

This is a good thing. Know why? Suicide is pretty serious. And if you're joking about it, you either need a new sense of humor or a night in the slammer.

[EDIT] Reading some of the other replies seem to be a bit sarcastic/sardonic. Are those that made those remarks that convinced that Jagex is a company heartless enough to save your life, only so you could be paying for their product? If so, please, get real.

Edited by Makoto_the_Phoenix

Linux User/Enthusiast | Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I doubt Jagex would say 'Go see this guy now!!', it is more likely that they pass the information of what has been said to the police, then the police decide themselves how to handle it.

Exactly my thoughts. They likely just called the local police and said "I'm from Jagex LTD, and a player from your region has stated in game that he was going to hang himself. Even though this is most likely nothing more then misguided childish outburts, we thought it to be in the best intrest of both the player and the online community that this claim should be investigated."

Then the police would go get some DNA evidence (CSI says they do it so it must be true) and then go to the players house to give him a firm smack.

Think of how much time they are wasting for Law Enforcement to go out to somebodies house each time they get a suicide threat reported. Don't say that one life saved is all worth it, because the Police could have saved 10-20 lives in the amount of time they spent chasing 10 year olds who rage over a game.

You're not too bright, are you? Do you really think that in the time it took one police officer to investigate one case (and by investigate I mean drive to his house after receiving the call), he could have saved 10-20 lives? Where do you life, multiple-homicide-ville? A city where 10-20 people are murdered per hour?

Then again, if the suicide threat was real and someone said Jagex knew about it and did nothing, you'd be here trolling a different song in order to bash them.

Hurr durr, dey r dum.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Don't look at lives as numbers. You always get that one person saying something along the lines of "oh its only one out of so many" and it fans the flames for thosewho care that much more. Regardless of how many you save your concern should be that one life in that particular situation.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png