Jagex Calling Police

Stev

Think of how much time they are wasting for Law Enforcement to go out to somebodies house each time they get a suicide threat reported. Don't say that one life saved is all worth it, because the Police could have saved 10-20 lives in the amount of time they spent chasing 10 year olds who rage over a game.

You're not too bright, are you? Do you really think that in the time it took one police officer to investigate one case (and by investigate I mean drive to his house after receiving the call), he could have saved 10-20 lives? Where do you life, multiple-homicide-ville? A city where 10-20 people are murdered per hour?

Then again, if the suicide threat was real and someone said Jagex knew about it and did nothing, you'd be here trolling a different song in order to bash them.

Hurr durr, dey r dum.

To add to this, someone actually did commit suicide when his White Phat was scammed. Does anyone remember his name? It was like broski or something (I don't think it was Broski, but sounded similar). It wasn't the sole cause, but it was the last straw anyway

yes.png

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, their job is to uphold the law.

They win free consoling for life is they manage to kill anyone though.

The police are usually sent out to prevent someone from harming someone else (i.e. domestic dispute). The lawmakers have realized long ago that sometimes your mind doesn't want to go on any more and wants to kill itself to spare itself from the agony and at the same time the body has a desire to live on and procreate (have kids). These two come under a struggle between life and death during contimplations of suicide. The police are there to assure your body wins by helping you in any way they can. You are loved by someone, though you may not see it and you could be emotionally harming someone else with your actions who may in turn have suicidal thoughts later on down the road because of that incident.

Basically the police feel its necessary because there are conciquences for your actions and all you are thinking about is releasing yourself from your mental pain. What some of the younger people don't get is that everyone has their own emotional woes and torments. It may not sound justified to say the person who attempts or does succeed in committing suicide is selfish, but its true. My father died when I was young, both my grandfathers are dead too, but I trudge on. People tell you to live life to the fullest... Though the subject isn't really hit on much, but that also means understanding the value of a life; both yours and those around you. The game of life has a cheat sheet engraved on its underside and it reads: learn how to cope.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Simple. They have your IP which is basically your address. Most they have to do is contact your ISP which is actually legal (In Canada anyways).

With an IP, you can narrow it down to the city.

By the time they figure this out you have plenty of time to finish the act........

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

So we're not allowed to joke about Suicide anymore. Damn, there goes my set for the comedy club!

I think this is a rather good example of Jagex really taking onboard the "nanny state" approach that has gripped the UK in the past few years.

asrhasrh.jpg

Simple. They have your IP which is basically your address. Most they have to do is contact your ISP which is actually legal (In Canada anyways).

With an IP, you can narrow it down to the city.

By the time they figure this out you have plenty of time to finish the act........

You'd be amazed at how much time someone contemplates suicide before they do it. The majority of the time its all in their head and they very rarely make hints towards how low they are feeling about themselves. Thats why when someone hears something like this they jump the gun because they don't know when they'll actually successfully go through with it.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

For anyone who's not willing to go to the Quick-Find link, here's the Mod's reply regarding the post on the Official Forums:

mods.png

Personally, I believe this is the right thing to do. Regardless of the fact that many jokes are thrown around in RuneScape, the possibility that it could save the life of a person who's serious about it outweighs that of not acting on it.

Saying that though, perhaps it brings more light to the people who tend to joke about this kind of thing and make them reconsider how silly it is to do so.

Wait what if your IP jumping?

Or what if it's like mine, it resets IP every week?

I'd assume it depends how they're getting the details, but if they are following up on IP Addresses there's numerous ways to backtrack from a Proxy to your IP-Address if you're using one. If your IP-Address has simply changed then it's still been assigned by your ISP to your location so can still be traced by your ISP if provided.

Jagex didn't send the police to this person. Jagex reported the incident, and the police themselves decided to check it out.

Jagex doesn't control law enforcement.

Damn, I was sure they did.

Serious; Yeah, seem they're doing the right thing, even with all the jokes flying around runescape, you can never be sure.

(proalby mean no moar suicide jokes, doods.)

No.png

CLICK THE IMAGE TO GO TRY SHARK ATTACK DANGIT.

Jagex should lock every account that make such threats... Fake, real, or just crying out for help. I doubt they can call the police for EVERYONE, so the next best thing would be to alert the parents (proof of credit card to unlock). Seriously, even if the kid doesn't do it, who's to say he won't one day?

Wouldn't it be more likely that another one of the OP's real life friend saw that and thought it's a good idea to call up the local police to check, just to be sure?

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

Well as everyone has pointed as, it's to be expected. To do nothing could be considered negligence. And in regard to suicide being illegal and going to prison for it, while that may be true, you're very unlike to end up in prison. If you were seriously trying to commit suicide, then prison is not going to help you, you are much more likely to end up in a mental institute rather than prison.

rosssigfinal.jpg

Jagex called the police? Wow... that's both very protective and annoying, imo.

I wouldn't like it if the police came to my house just because I said something I didn't mean to say on Runescape.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

For a start this story seems complete BS. Police getting there in half an hour? They didnt come at all when I rang them to report someone weilding a baseball bat outside my house smashing in bins. This scenario would require Jagex systems to pick up on keywords such as "suicide" and escalates it to a Jagex staffer who double checks it wasn't a typo or the sorts. Then that Jagex staffer probably has to tell their line manager. That line manager will then have to do one of the following:

Use the billing address on file (if p2p) to find out the address of the user. Then find out the local police department for where they live. This may or may not be the right number to call. For example where I like the station is only staffed for a few hours a day. Outside of those hours you would need to call the county wide police department. Then the police would have to see if a unit is close by and dispatch them to the house with the information they require.

If the person is f2p or there is no p2p address on file (membership paid with prepaid cards for example) then it's a bit more complicated. Jagex cannot request from the ISP who owned a particular ip at any given time, this is something that only the police can do and even then I think they need a court order. Without any address information to hand it would be very difficult to find even the local police department of a user. There is no way on earth this could be done in half an hour.

If the story is true then I applaud Jagex for their efforts in trying to prevent something which could have been very disastrous leading to the loss of life. However it smells too much like bulls stuff to me.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I think they did the right thing. If that person hadn't been joking and HAD gone and killed themselves everyone here who's complaining 'waaah Jagex are wasting everyone's time, being stupid and over protective' would be whining that 'waaaah Jagex didn't do anything when they could have!'.

Anyway, better to be safe than sorry. Suicide isn't something to be joked about really.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Wasn't there a case a few years ago on Runescape? before the trade-limit someone scammed a White Partyhat and the boy who was scammed overdosed? not sure if he survived I think he did though

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I don't think Jagex did all this. They probably contacted the local authorities and provided the IP. The police asked the ISP for the exact details of the owner of that particular IP address, and went to the house. Jagex just handed over the IP address and something like "possible suicide attempt".

That's just my theory.