Jagex Calling Police

Stev

And you are positive you know why I am calling him ignorant? I call him this because of the fact that he doesn't really care what anyone else thinks of the situation. He doesn't look at the situation from anyone's but his own ideal. I mean I do understand the other side of the situation, "JaGex shouldn't have made a rash decision," but what if they hadn't? :wink:

Sorry, I thought by "ignorant" you were referring to rudeness or something along those lines. Please forgive my ignorance. :oops:

My point is not that 'Oh the police are superheroes' but the fact that any kind of help, whether it be from officials, friends, or family, can potential strike that person in a positive way. In my eyes everything CAN make a difference but not to say that it will. Why not try and fail then to not try at all? Would you have honestly felt better if you didn't try to find them help but instead let it pass by? I don't think anyone would. Another point you make, 'Sometimes people just want their friends and family to pay attention to them and getting the police involved is way more attention than they wanted,' well consider the fact that some people also don't have anyone else to listen to them, which is sad in its own right but it happens. :-?

I think it's fine to try to help them if you want to, but I really don't see why this should be a job for police. If someone is having psychological problems about their own life's worth, that's beyond a typical police officer's field of expertise.

Just to clarify, my argument is that I think this is not a smart move for the police to make (I'm not really trying to pass judgment on Jagex in this debate). Perhaps if someone is trying to jump off a building police intervention would be appropriate, since it would make a devastating scene in front of the public and all, but I don't think they should put any case where someone mentions the word "suicide" (no matter the context) as one of their top priorities. If you sent a police officer to every person who ever joked about suicide, they'd be too busy to do anything else.

So really, I agree with you that any kind of help can be beneficial in a lot of cases, but it's just not worth the police's time to look into every little situation where suicide has been mentioned. Using that time to prevent murders, rapes, burglaries, and other large crimes seems like a much better investment of their time in my opinion.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree completely with what others have been saying- that Jagex reacted as any other human should, let's look at this situation from another point of view.

What if they hadn't done anything, and the boy had actually committed suicide? Not that the mainstream media cares much about Jagex, but the proposed situation would be the type of story that they love. "Major company ignore young boys plea for help and boy ends up dead." If Jagex hadn't reported this to the police and the boy had committed suicide and it was revealed that they had ignored the report, not only would there image be tarnished, but they could even have a lawsuit against them. In this sue-happy world that we live in it would not be unimaginable for the parents of the boy to try suing them- not that the parents would have a very strong case, but still.

But how many suicides get mentioned on the news? I mean, really. We have thousands of deaths, murderers, robberies, suicides, bad things in general, but not all that is on the news.

So about the media coverage, check that off. Because it's highly unlikely the media will even make a story for a suicide when the Edwards scandal is going on.

I disagree. If the story was "Person commits suicide", it wouldn't be a big story. But if the story was "Person commits suicide, online company ignores their plea for help" (which is how most media outlets would run it), it would be pretty big. Jagex did the reponsible thing.

While I agree completely with what others have been saying- that Jagex reacted as any other human should, let's look at this situation from another point of view.

What if they hadn't done anything, and the boy had actually committed suicide? Not that the mainstream media cares much about Jagex, but the proposed situation would be the type of story that they love. "Major company ignore young boys plea for help and boy ends up dead." If Jagex hadn't reported this to the police and the boy had committed suicide and it was revealed that they had ignored the report, not only would there image be tarnished, but they could even have a lawsuit against them. In this sue-happy world that we live in it would not be unimaginable for the parents of the boy to try suing them- not that the parents would have a very strong case, but still.

But how many suicides get mentioned on the news? I mean, really. We have thousands of deaths, murderers, robberies, suicides, bad things in general, but not all that is on the news.

So about the media coverage, check that off. Because it's highly unlikely the media will even make a story for a suicide when the Edwards scandal is going on.

I disagree. If the story was "Person commits suicide", it wouldn't be a big story. But if the story was "Person commits suicide, online company ignores their plea for help" (which is how most media outlets would run it), it would be pretty big. Jagex did the reponsible thing.

But how would they find that out? Jagex doesn't transmit their player's chat freely; so I don't know how they would find out he said that on RuneScape.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

But how would they find that out? Jagex doesn't transmit their player's chat freely; so I don't know how they would find out he said that on RuneScape.

I don't know this for sure, but I'm guessing when someone commits suicide the police run an investigation. While it's highly unlikely they'd look into Runescape just because the boy played it, you never know. Their is always that small possibility.

Arguing with a fool proves there are two.

Jagex is bad at spotting sarcasm; no wonder all their jokes are lame.

Well yeah, it's hard to detect sarcasm over the internet.

I'm glad Jagex does stuff like this. There are RuneScape users that kill themselves over matters in game when something terrible happens to them.

It's not like it's a hassle for the cops to make sure somebody is OK. That's their job. The police are always glad to take a trip to somebody's house to make sure they are fine.

theistsRdim.png

it is good that jagex do something like this, it shows that they care for rs member and from time to time, actually read the reports lol.

huntintheenemy-1.png

Legendz - 100+ F2p combat !! Join today and get TWO free cookies @@@@@

crowngolduh9.gif - Proud Leader of LEGENDZ

warsword.gif - Proud Warlord of Clan Europe

Thank you Danqazmlp for reminding all this is not a subject to be taken lightly.

We may or may not agree with what Jagex did in this instance; however, I for one am glad it took the comments seriously and actually did something. As for Police coming out to the home on this matter, it is not at all unusual for Police to visit a home where family dispute is occurring. In this instance their visiting this particular home just might bring a "silent" potentially harmful situation into the open for the entire family to see and deal with. Yes there may be negative repercusions; then again there just might be a positive outcome. All anyone can do is act according to what they believe is in the best interest of the one thought to be in need of something. That is truly all any of us can do. As has been stated numerous times in this thread, it is far better to take action in situations like this than to sit on the fence and hope for the best .. or not care at all, the latter of course doing nothing positive for our own characters. (What we practice is what we become!)

I am what I am! Acknowledging this is the beginning and my growth is yet to end!!

Its the same as police shooting down 11 year old kids wielding a toy gun at a mall. Some organizations don't know their limits.

You can't use that example with this situation, not only that, but many toy guns do look just like the real thing. And, as guns are illegal in most countries, what can you expect? Chances are no-one will be shot, however, they will of course be approached with caution.

Tranquilizer would have been a much better way to handle it...

---

Also, consider this: you're playing RuneScape and say "I am going to kill myself." (in a way where your actual intent couldn't be discerned from context) You proceed to drop 4 vials of nitroglycerin and then you lose Internet connection. The cops show up several hours later. I wonder if you'd be held responsible for anything.

Or imagine you're fighting the NPC "Me" from the Lunar Diplomacy quest.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

well, they do consider context, but the truth is, if someone makes a statement like that, and actually does it, jagex is legally guilty of murder (well, technically 'wrongful death'), and can be charged, fined, sued and much more (if a report was made, and ignored, the person who chose to ignore it can, in some cases, be arrested and imprisoned) -- at least in the US this is the case, and these types of rules are usually much more in UK where they are located...

somebody mentioned that facebook doesnt do this... but the truth is, they do (and are required by law to do so), and they have been (many times) sued and fined for not reporting or taking too long to report it

Well, I didn't read the whole thread, just the first few pages, so I don't know if someone brought this up or not.

How many times in recent years has someone committed suicide after they killed a few others as well? Even if that wasn't planned when they thought about killing themselves it might not take much to set them off and they decide to take you or someone else with them. What if they were a suicide bomber?

There is just way too much crap going on for statements like that to be ignored.

I personally took a screenshot in game and sent it to the F.B.I. tip line, because of an in game username. The username was "Jihad in America". I also notified Jagex that I had sent it to the F.B.I.

I don't care if it was some moron that thought they were being funny or not, they needed to be taught a lesson.

So many people I've come across through RS and Myspace talk about "killing themselves" on a regular basis - not because they're truly suicidal, but because it has become a figure of speech which implies the same as "F my life". The connotation that suicide has amongst our society today is a lot different than it was a few generations ago. Just like the word "gay". Today, it's more common that the word "gay" is in reference to something lame or stupid as opposed to an actual homosexual person.

well, they do consider context, but the truth is, if someone makes a statement like that, and actually does it, jagex is legally guilty of murder (well, technically 'wrongful death'), and can be charged, fined, sued and much more (if a report was made, and ignored, the person who chose to ignore it can, in some cases, be arrested and imprisoned) -- at least in the US this is the case, and these types of rules are usually much more in UK where they are located...

somebody mentioned that facebook doesnt do this... but the truth is, they do (and are required by law to do so), and they have been (many times) sued and fined for not reporting or taking too long to report it

In that case, the problem lies within the way legal systems handle suicides.

I don't think it should be the company's responsibility to report stuff like that. Reminds me of the Genovese murder. 30+ people heard her screams but no one reported it, so she died. Yeah, it was a messed up scenario, but are you really going to charge those people for minding their own business? We the people never signed up for being obligated to ensuring justice, or else we would all be cops.

That's really [bleep]ed up tbh... Some wbm ruining your irl day like that >.> All of ya anti-suicide people are stupid ;) The vast majority of the population (especially police officers) are idiots that will take anything you say literally. If you play an mmo, you are a depressed kid who has no friends and wants to die.

An IRL friend of mine was at the Brimhaven agility arena and joking around said, "F your total," and, "Omg, gonna go hang myself." (Joking around of course).

Now, that's not what's up for discussion. He was reported and muted within a half hour and what completely baffled me was that the police actually showed up at his door!

They said, "You play an online game? We're told you were planning on hanging yourself?"

I did not know Jagex did this! It is absolutely incredible! I can see it as both good and bad.

What are your opinions?

Yes they've been doing this for a very long time, i remember one of my friends who got muted and in his appeal said he would kill himself if he wasn't unmuted, not long after the police showed up at his house.

Jagex are allowed to contact the authorities if someone is threatening to kill themself in real life on their game :)

It's a pretty good idea, however most of the time it would be waisting the authorities time. Another life could be in actual danger, but the police are occupied with a online mmorpg player who made a false threat against themselves.

~ HYT Chat Rules (Click Here): Read before entering the chat. ~

dztf80.jpg

| Former Clan Chronicle Editor | Former Clan Improvement Member| Former TET Member |

An IRL friend of mine was at the Brimhaven agility arena and joking around said, "F your total," and, "Omg, gonna go hang myself." (Joking around of course).

Now, that's not what's up for discussion. He was reported and muted within a half hour and what completely baffled me was that the police actually showed up at his door!

They said, "You play an online game? We're told you were planning on hanging yourself?"

I did not know Jagex did this! It is absolutely incredible! I can see it as both good and bad.

What are your opinions?

Yes they've been doing this for a very long time, i remember one of my friends who got muted and in his appeal said he would kill himself if he wasn't unmuted, not long after the police showed up at his house.

Jagex are allowed to contact the authorities if someone is threatening to kill themself in real life on their game :)

It's a pretty good idea, however most of the time it would be waisting the authorities time. Another life could be in actual danger, but the police are occupied with a online mmorpg player who made a false threat against themselves.

I've said previously in this thread that there's something major which people are missing here. There's more than one law enforcement officer in the building at any one time. They've got several vehicles, and they're not going to assign the whole force to one person. One, maybe two will be sent to investigate the matter. Not the whole army. There's plenty police officers to go around, trust me.

Now - it is to my understanding that any situation where a user says they're contemplating suicide -- in some form or other, Jagex hand that information over to the police, rightly so.

I watched a video today in which a "12 year old kid", as he called himself, was only joking about commiting suicide. A Jagex moderator contacted him in-game, requested he ring a number (Which was that of a police station) to confirm that he is okay. And if he didn't ring, officers would come out to the house. He did infact ring the police and was told to put his parents on the phone, which of course he complied. And it went from there. I think people really need to realise that suicide isn't a topic that should be joked about - it is very serious, and in the online world it is very possible for people to become very angry. Many people play online games as an escape from real life if they are having trouble, if something happens to them in-game it will only make the situation worse where suicide will then come to mind for that person.It's a very sad situation.

No-one on this thread should see this as a joke, it did happen, has happened many times before and is going to continue to happen. Jagex aren't overstepping their boundaries, they instead are using their initiative in benefit of the players safety. Afterall, human life is more important than any game, or, anything in life.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I think people really need to realise that suicide isn't a topic that should be joked about - it is very serious, and in the online world it is very possible for people to become very angry. Many people play online games as an escape from real life if they are having trouble, if something happens to them in-game it will only make the situation worse where suicide will then come to mind for that person.It's a very sad situation.

Unfortunately, we're able to joke about suicide as much as you can ignore it. It's a sad situation I cannot deny it, but some sort of personal responsibility must be shown from the person who'll commit suicide. And unfortunately again, online games (and games all together) are part of real life so there's so such thing as escaping problems even if they think they are; again, personal responsibility.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I've said previously in this thread that there's something major which people are missing here. There's more than one law enforcement officer in the building at any one time. They've got several vehicles, and they're not going to assign the whole force to one person. One, maybe two will be sent to investigate the matter. Not the whole army. There's plenty police officers to go around, trust me.

Have you actually ever seen a police officer talk someone out of suicide? Have you actually even seen someone tell a police officer, "Yes, officer. I've been very depressed lately. I want to kill myself. Please help me!" There's a difference between what you might see on TV and what actually happens in real life. I've already said it a few times. Police officers can make the issue worse because 1) it's degrading and because 2) they usually don't know what they're doing since they aren't qualified. It's not really the kind of attention most suicidal people are looking for anyways.

It would be much more efficient to have those extra police patrol the streets or do anything else besides going to investigate everyone who mentioned the word "suicide", no matter the context. There are literally millions of times where, if the police were to be in the right place at the right time, crimes would have been prevented. You're essentially saying that it's not that important if we waste the manpower of the police force. It IS important because the more available police officers we have, the higher our chances of stopping crimes we have. Police are qualified for stopping crimes - not talking kids out of suicides. If you want to talk someone out of a suicide, at least get a psychologist. Even they have a lot of trouble trying to comprehend what's going on in someone else's mind.

PS: This isn't just limited to when people joke about suicides though. Police need to get their priorities straight with many things. Stop imprisoning harmless people who were merely smoking pot. Stop charging people for going 2 over the speed limit. Get your priorities straight, dammit! (Sorry for the rant. I think the idea of police is a pretty nice concept, it's just the execution of it which needs a lot more work if we are to truly ensure justice in an efficient manner.)

but some sort of personal responsibility must be shown from the person who'll commit suicide

Exactly. I absolutely hate when people say there is nothing suicidal people can do to stop being suicidal. It's actually encouraging suicide instead of treating it as a problem that needs to be fixed and that can be fixed. Not only is it illogical, but it's also reinforcing those suicidal thoughts of hopelessness into their minds, which is one of the main reasons why they wanted to kill themselves in the first place. They already feel hopeless. What's the logic behind making them feel more hopeless? It's so counterproductive. Oh and this opinion is coming from "psychologists". Imagine how badly a police officer could mess things up. These people can be very fragile, so one wrong sentence can make things a million times worse.

I think Jagex definitely do the right thing in contacting the police - it is up to the police to decide if something is worth investigating. It was only a week or so ago that someone posted on Facebook that they were going to commit suicide then actually did it. Of course there was also the incident in December 2008 where a guy who threatened to shoot up a local school had his room searched due to a Jagex tip-off and was subsequently charged with "making terroristic threats, possession of a handgun, possession of a sawed-off shotgun, possession of a switchblade, manufacturing a home-made black-powder rifle and possession of fireworks" (source).

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

This morning, a guy was on his way to join us for a game of non combat sc, he missed the game by a minute. When he realised it, he said 'imma go kill myself' and he ran away.

I thought he was joking and said 'lol', when I could have reported him and have the local police show up at his door. Lol! I know what I'm doing next time... :lol:

(maybe I can't advertise here, but 'fast sc' is a great non-combat stealing creation cc ;-) )

Police shows up at suspects door

Police: Do you play Runescape?

Player: Yes

Police: were you training fletching?

Player: Yes

Police: Third one today tbh.

The funniest response of all time.

sigtsg99rscaz7.png

The Slayers Guild a Slayer Clan led by Axe Man Jack

Proud to have written the most plagiarized Slayer guide on the planet.

The topic title gave me the first impression "Scammers have stolen -x- accounts, and got caught by the police!"

I think the account details etc you first gotta create your account with, plus your ip details would be enough to trace down your house. You wouldn't really expect any authorities to be actually called but you never know. I think it's good and bad that the police turned up.

Good, because it teaches op's friend to not joke around suicide. Bad, because it might cause paranoia.

• 4 weeks later...

:lol: That's epic!

Really you bumped up a topic thats been dead for a month. For THAT.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue