Why Bandos?

Cloak

Bandos comes with a str bonus

Bandos doesn't degrade

The simple fact that it doesn't degrade makes it cheaper then Barrow sets in the long run, and when you're high level str, and using boosts like Slayer Helm and pots, those few extra str bonus add up.

Bandos also has good def stats, better then dragon, which would be the other alternative.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

bandos also has slightly higher range defense, along with a small prayer bonus

also many high level players have the money, and its slightly better so they get it, IMO its not something you should save up for.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Bandos comes with a str bonus

Bandos doesn't degrade

The simple fact that it doesn't degrade makes it cheaper then Barrow sets in the long run, and when you're high level str, and using boosts like Slayer Helm and pots, those few extra str bonus add up.

Bandos also has good def stats, better then dragon, which would be the other alternative.

No. It will NOT be cheaper. You would have to spend something in the area of 7,000 hours in combat with bandos to save the money that repairing barrows would cost.

Few reasons people use bandos:

1.) It has a strength bonus. The tassets are the only non degradable armor in the game with a strength bonus.

2.) It has a slight prayer bonus.

3.) It looks cool, at least to most people.

4.) Most higher level players don't really need all that much defense. So the difference between bandos and barrows is normally negligible. Likewise, the healing from guthans is not needed by most people using bandos.

5.) Bandos protection in GWD

6.) High range defense bonus.

Personally, I don't mind selling my Bandos. I prefer Verac skirt+Prossy top for most slayer tasks, since I have a huge prayer bonus, and decent defense, and can turmoil.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

which is why I said in the long run, don't forget the initial cost of Barrows as well.

7000 hours is about 292 days. Thats 292 days of straight combat, seeing as it only degrades in combat. I have about that much in game time alone, maybe half to 3/4 of that is combat related and maybe half of that is while wearing barrow items. So unless you scape for about 4 years+ Bandos isn't that much better.

Also wearing Barrows peces are about 1/12th the price of a bandos piece.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

which is why I said in the long run, don't forget the initial cost of Barrows as well.

According to ge, the trend now is bandos is droppin while guthans is rising.

Nothing to do with initial cost, it is all about running cost and resell value.

Btw about the repair cost... It doesnt matter how much money your are making per hour or whatever, switching those doesnt really speed up your combat much and therefore a lost is a lost.

According to the GE trend, the price of bandos has been going up the past few months.

The running costs on Barrows is obviously higher

Another way to look at it, is at a high level, you don't need that extra def, so the repair costs are just a hindrence since you're only paying for something you don't need.

I apologies for trying to answer your questions, considering you seem to know so much more about it. Why bother asking in the first place?

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I was comparing stats of things today, and looked at the almighty Bandos armor. Then I noticed...Guthan's offers a better defense bonus than Bandos does.

Therefore, why do players opt to spend several mil more for Bandos? Is it purely for the strength bonus?

Did you actually just refer to it as the "almighty bandos armour"? hahahaha

According to the GE trend, the price of bandos has been going up the past few months.

The running costs on Barrows is obviously higher

Another way to look at it, is at a high level, you don't need that extra def, so the repair costs are just a hindrence since you're only paying for something you don't need.

I apologies for trying to answer your questions, considering you seem to know so much more about it. Why bother asking in the first place?

Why insult the OP? He never contradicted anything you said. Other people did, because, well, you were wrong.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Believe me, a lot of people look at it the same why I do.

I am not "wrong" for what I said.

A lot of people also think that Magic Dart isn't affected by mage bonus, doesn't mean they're right. As far as you being "wrong" that's correct if you're referring to the cost of barrows repair costing more than Bandos in the long run...the VERY long run, however you drops from monsters should EASILY cover those costs plus some profit. I'd still choose barrows over Bandos.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Seeing as I doubt the OP is planning on spending 291'ish days on combat, bandos will never "pay for itself". That is the one point you are wrong on. Its not a big deal. Just don't try to get out of being wrong.

Not to mention, the money saved by NOT buying bandos and pietying tasks, or whatever you will train on will save you far more money "in the long run" by getting higher stats/slayer then the money saved not repairing barrows.

Stonewall337.png

I was wondering if anyone would point this out... Torags offers the best defense.

TBH I have 16-20m in the bank and was wondering what I should get/save for.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

There's a one and only reason that everybody wants Bandos armour, and it's because of the Strength bonus. Both the miniscule Prayer and increased Ranged defence bonuses are negligible in most cases, and at most definitely don't justify the 45m or so spent on the set.

Buying it because it doesn't degrade is just nonsense, since you can always buy dragon armour, which has even slightly better stats (except for the Ranged defence).

zj7y4z.gif

DeeKay.png

No. It will NOT be cheaper. You would have to spend something in the area of 7,000 hours in combat with bandos to save the money that repairing barrows would cost.

Actually, assuming constant prices, bandos costs 0 gp to use. Following the general trend, you *make* money by using bandos because you can sell it after using it for the same price, if not higher.

You can sell barrows for the same price as well, but you have to pay for degrading costs.

lalalasig2.png

Personally I got annoyed with repairing barrows armour. And when you have the GP you better spend it on something.

I still use barrows armour for specific purposes though: karils for magic defense. Verac skirt for prayer bonus. etc.

You can actually have both bandos and barrows and have best of both worlds!!

HOORAH!

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Isn't bandos preffered as the best slayer set up? Like: Bandos armour, verac skirt and such?

It is but:

The stats is not worth the money. And you can argue that Bandos chestplate is just as good as a Proselyte plate (Proselyte plate>more prayer>Piety/Turmoil) for high levels.

Proselyte platebody costs around 20-30K, Bandos cost over 22M.

I agree with everything that Stonewall said, as per usual. I would personally buy a Bandos Chestplate and use it with a Verac's skirt and SW cape for some turmoil/piety slaying. Great balance of prayer bonus, defense bonus, and strength bonus. I don't think it's worth saving up for, as Barrows armor will serve the same purpose for much cheaper.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Bandos?

Torags?

Porche?

Volvo?

Hmm.... #-o

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

As a Barrows user/Bandos wanter (lol I invented a word) I can tell you that Barrows is probably "better" for someone with defence stats like mine, but Bandos has good prayer/strength bonuses and looks really cool :thumbup:

I am guessing when they add the new armour it will be high leveled stuff, and it will be the new thing to wear. Thus, people will sell Bandos to get the new armour, and Bandos will fall to a reasonable price.

That's just my guess :D

JacTheRipper.png