~~Newer Bank Of Runescape~~ **Updated again 05/15/09**

Thagern

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I got information on this idea some time ago from a reputable source, and received permission to share it:

Bank space is linked to a player file, which currently has a set limit. A certain amount of memory is allocated to player data related to new quests, new areas, etc. When bank space is increased, it takes away from that allocation.

You may ask, "then why can't the size of the player file be increased?"

I don't know the answer exactly, but I expect it would increase system memory requirements to a degree. Runescape is one of the few MMORPGs that is not software supported, nor relies on a CD for certain files. Java will take all the memory it can, so users with lower system specs will have to upgrade. Low detail is currently designed to accomodate these users (all arguments against sounds and some MIDI being incorporated aside).

You may ask, "then why doesn't Jagex release some CDs or offer a download?"

I suspect that such would make the problems we have with private servers worse.

But don't they realise it will only make their game more better and fun? Ffs, we need every single Tip.it Admin to tell them, because they know that Tip.It is one of the biggest Runescape FanSites....This is unbeleivable :notalk:

Ok, I got information on this idea some time ago from a reputable source, and received permission to share it:

Bank space is linked to a player file, which currently has a set limit. A certain amount of memory is allocated to player data related to new quests, new areas, etc. When bank space is increased, it takes away from that allocation.

I don't know the answer exactly, but I expect it would increase system memory requirements to a degree. Runescape is one of the few MMORPGs that is not software supported, nor relies on a CD for certain files. Java will take all the memory it can, so users with lower system specs will have to upgrade. Low detail is currently designed to accomodate these users (all arguments against sounds and some MIDI being incorporated aside).

Is what you are saying just limited to Bank space, or the whole bank idea, im sure some, (mabye not all) of the ideas on this thread are possible?

Is what you are saying just limited to Bank space, or the whole bank idea, im sure some, (mabye not all) of the ideas on this thread are possible?

Player's banks are all stored on their player file, so any elements of this idea involve increasing that file.

Some of that file is saved for updates, basically. So it is unlikely that this idea will be implemented without raising memory usage due to the increased file size.

I think this is a very good idea, but it would be hard to impliment. Jacklumen has somegood points although I'm sure there is a way around it. I will send Jagex a message and hopefully they can come up with something.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

Yeah, as fantastic as this idea is, with over 2 million players, jagex has to try and keep (somewhat) unnecceary (i know im going to get flamed for saying that) updates to a minimum

This also explains why f2p gets very little bank space - jagex needs all the room it can get for members

i agree with jaklumen, ive had a look in the runescape source.. and i think it would make the file size bigger, but i also think that theres a solution... but leave that up to jagex :)

~ÃÆââ¬Â¦ÃâêÃÆââ¬Â¦Ã¢ââ¬Ã°ÃÆââ¬Â¦ÃâáÃÆââ¬Â¦ÃâçÃÆÃâÃâãbÃÆââ¬Â¦Ã¢ââ¬Ã¡ÃÆââ¬Å¾Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ ÃÆââ¬Å¾ÃâàÃÆââ¬Â¦ÃâëÃÆýÃâó~

buddy2copyjx5.gif

newscape300x50hu4.gif

shopcopynl5.pngsigcd4.gif

I see what you mean, if every playre on rs had unlimited bank space, there would be unlimited requirements for the game. The more we want, the more we need to allow what we want. Also, the more complex and bigger things become, the more memory being used by each player, the more the work load on the servers, the more severs are needed, the more money is needed to use the servers, the more money is needed to be brought in each month by memberships.

In other words, bank space is limited for a reason, and it most likely isn't to keep the game balanced, it's to keep the requirements balanced so that more people can play. I also just realized that players shoudl ahve the option to delete an account permanantly if it remains inactive for more than 3 months, they answer a large lsit of questions regarding the account, and they go through other procedures to eliminate hackers/scammers. this will help free up some usernames, free up some memory, and allow for a better runescape.

However good the idea is, if it can't be configured to be small enough, then it will not be implemented. Also, I assume that this new bank layout will be very complex to write a code out for, since there is alot to consider, especially with the lock item feature. With this feature, the item locked should still count towards your total bankspace, becasue this will disallow for the ability to breach the bank space total.

Best Idea I've seen, ever :3> :thumbsup: this is what inspires me to keep thinking and find a solution to everything within a reasonable limit ::'

I pretty much aspire to become an engineer :3>

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

hmmm..... Why arent the Jagex staff replying to this topic then? i think this topic has gone on long enough to at least deserve an answer <.< .....

Drokles.gif

Drokles.png

I'll get there!

... eventually

A great idea, I support it!

Finding items can be annoying sometimes, and this could be a very good

improvement to the game.

Please Jagex, listen to your costumeeers...! :pray:

By the way, how many signatures so far, and how many they need to

implement this system?

jamelseyek.png

This is the best thing since sliced bread, I support it.

world2isntthathardby4.pngI think merchanting is extinct....

lordofthehauntedminestextcb6.png Completed haunted mine at level 75.

Barrows Drops: Dh platelegs, Guth helm, Karils cb, Torags legs

-------------RETIRED------------------

I see what you mean, if every playre on rs had unlimited bank space, there would be unlimited requirements for the game. The more we want, the more we need to allow what we want. Also, the more complex and bigger things become, the more memory being used by each player, the more the work load on the servers, the more severs are needed, the more money is needed to use the servers, the more money is needed to be brought in each month by memberships.

In other words, bank space is limited for a reason, and it most likely isn't to keep the game balanced, it's to keep the requirements balanced so that more people can play. I also just realized that players shoudl ahve the option to delete an account permanantly if it remains inactive for more than 3 months, they answer a large lsit of questions regarding the account, and they go through other procedures to eliminate hackers/scammers. this will help free up some usernames, free up some memory, and allow for a better runescape.

However good the idea is, if it can't be configured to be small enough, then it will not be implemented. Also, I assume that this new bank layout will be very complex to write a code out for, since there is alot to consider, especially with the lock item feature. With this feature, the item locked should still count towards your total bankspace, becasue this will disallow for the ability to breach the bank space total.

Best Idea I've seen, ever :3> :thumbsup: this is what inspires me to keep thinking and find a solution to everything within a reasonable limit ::'

I pretty much aspire to become an engineer :3>

Account Deletion

By: Lightning Date: Wednesday, July 25, 2001

Andrew announced today in Irc that he will deleting unused accounts in a couple of days time.

Andrew will be deleting any accounts which haven't been used for 60 days and are less then 30 minutes old and are holding less than 500 gp (in either gold ot objects)

Any account that is over 30 minutes old, or holding more than 500 gp (in either gold , or objects) will not be erased.

-- last time that was done was in 2001, back in classic :|

wow, i just came into this conversation/debate and it amazes me. My bank is only 1/3 (or less) full, and i get items lost, so i completely support this.

I do agree with some that this is not needed on F2p, there just aren't enough slots that they would have to fill, which then makes it so many things aren't lost.

Also, (i did miss a lot, cause i didnt feel like going through all 90 pages, srry) for the locking items idea. It seems to me, that if you are already organizing it to that degree of armors/things you wouldnt really need to "lock" them in. My reasoning is that you wouldn't lose much anymore, if you store it in compartment "z" and if you know what kinds of things you have in there it should be easy to find/replace.

Now you may argue that you could take out half of a set, and then it would be all scrambled, but if you only have to move...20 items? (4-6 sets of things) out of the way, then it wouldn't take long to get items into their original/wanted position.

Personally, I think that just having compartments would solve a lot. Everything else to me is, while nice, not necessary. It seems like that that is just a lot of fluff to make it more special than necessary.

In my opinion, Compartments are all that's needed. [Maybe this won't strain servers as well?]

But all in all, this posts gets kudos.

Quest Cape gotten.

Fire Cape gotten at 92 cb, no guthans.

1337 Idea...I always had an idea of something to make banks easier...My idea was to put a search button on the top and you typed the name of that thing and there it was...But this idea is very nice too...I really like the lock feature too. It is complicated but good...You should make it that in each one of the groups you are able to change the total amount of space in it...Like if one needs more and the other needs less then take some space from the and put it in the other one. Complicated but you gotta get used to using a bank like that. I'm choosing that cool looking siggy =)

runedrune900.jpg