When do we get a REAL update?

Lep

I'll insert some comparable 2009 updates (supposedly the worst of all years?) for the ones you mentioned. Your list is not exhaustive, and neither is mine.

Jan 10: In search of the Myreque Glorious Memories

Jan 17: Karamja dungeon Kuradal's Dungeon

Jan 26: Slayer skill

Feb 7: Roving elves (cbow) Magic damage boost + new surge spells

Feb 15: Ghosts ahoy (ectophial and ectofuntus) Run energy upgrade, High level Agility course

March 29: Monkey madness (d-scim...so huge in RS history) Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf (D pick, best mining tool, but somehow people don't see it as epic)

April 18: Desert Treasure (ANCIENTS) The Temple at Senntisten (CURSES)

May 9: Barrows... High-level Herblore Potions

May 31: Keldagrim Fremennik Province Achievement Diary (Keldagrim was dead 2 weeks after its release, until the revival in 2009)

July 11: Farming

Aug 1: Waterbirth Island

Aug 23: Blast Furnace Soul Wars

Sep 12: Cook-X, paving the way for "Do-x" in all skills Route-finding Update, Deposit-all feature and more

Sep 19: Tzharr area Seers' Village + Ardougne Achievement Diary

Oct 4: Fight caves Nomads Requiem

Oct 17: Mournings End part 2 The Chosen Commander

Nov 07: DKs Mobilising Armies

Dec 05: Nardah released, Spirits of the Elid Fur 'n' Seek

Dec 12: Champions Challenge + wyverns Poison Arrow Pub and Aquanite

I would say that "Fur n' seek" which is a ripoff of an old quest is no comparison to the addition of a meaningful quest that leads to a lot of the whole desert area's development.

Also comparing DKs to mobilising armies is definitely not a good comparison. One adds 2 items that are still very expensive and useful (zerker and d axe). The other is a mini game that got delayed for many months and was still not recieved as being popular (and really added nothing game-changing). DKs was something that was crazy dangerous and a new, challenging aspect of the game. I hate MA, and I see a lot of people dont like it either. Plus its a mini game.

You also compare TCC to MEP2. The ability to craft new runes, vs the ability to do nothing of value. Also they released MEP2 casually. They released TCC like it was a godly, amazing, giant update, changing the website and making merchandise for it. And it really doesn't have anything of value to add to the game.

Also comparing monkey madness (which was a long, challenging quest at the time, and added a whole new island) to the simpleness of Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf is yet still another silly comparison. The comparison between D pick and D scim is decent.

Overall the main difference I see is that the quests used to give us new, exciting, useful areas. And completeing these quests (which were at the time, more challenging to the general population) you unlocked a new game-changing feature. In terms of level requirement, the average quest is still just as difficult as it was in 05. But in 5 years, we cant start getting more updates for the people who have been playing the game in those 5 years? We got one population-growth-appropriate quest (nomads requiem) in 2009. The rest of the 2009 quests were no more challenging or difficult than the ones that were being released in 2005.

Honestly if you want to enjoy this game the most, stop leveling once you get like 80s in your stats. Someone could easily get 99 combats in like a year of playing the game, but yet in 5 years we seem to have made little progress in the average level requirement for stuff.

Also I think what you just proved is that, in 4 years of the company's growth, they managed to release content that was about on-par with what they were doing in 2005. Minus the addition of two entire skills that were useful and executed well ON THE RELEASE DATE. They didnt fail and have to implement Slayer batch #2 or Farming #2 like they had to do with the most recently released skill. Half a decade of company experience and leveling of the players, and we get updates that are similar, or somewhat worse. Why?

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First: How many games have been around for 9+ years and are still growing and getting nearly weekly updates not many if any?

Second: How much do you think they can add to a game before its just get so big and so complicated that no one new to Runescape will want to sign up to play because the game is so large and complex its takes months just to figure out how everything works and ties in with eachother?

Third: Leaving the ends of skills open allows for more future content and will allow the game to last longer. Once the game is finished it will be literally "finished" as in those playing will slowly move away and will not be replaced by new players comming in. Keeping things open allows the game to be slowly finished and keeps it alive and changing which will also help bring up new players becuase they will see that game is alive and still growing.

Fourth: Maybe when your not in the 14 to early 20s range you will be better able to wrap your head around things like the above and understand the new skill/ new godsword/ new high level content cant come out every week becuase after a a year or so there will be nothing left to add... Try to take a few minutes and think about it long term.....

I would say that "Fur n' seek" which is a ripoff of an old quest is no comparison to the addition of a meaningful quest that leads to a lot of the whole desert area's development.

Also comparing DKs to mobilising armies is definitely not a good comparison. One adds 2 items that are still very expensive and useful (zerker and d axe). The other is a mini game that got delayed for many months and was still not recieved as being popular (and really added nothing game-changing). DKs was something that was crazy dangerous and a new, challenging aspect of the game. I hate MA, and I see a lot of people dont like it either. Plus its a mini game.

You also compare TCC to MEP2. The ability to craft new runes, vs the ability to do nothing of value. Also they released MEP2 casually. They released TCC like it was a godly, amazing, giant update, changing the website and making merchandise for it. And it really doesn't have anything of value to add to the game.

Also comparing monkey madness (which was a long, challenging quest at the time, and added a whole new island) to the simpleness of Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf is yet still another silly comparison. The comparison between D pick and D scim is decent.

Overall the main difference I see is that the quests used to give us new, exciting, useful areas. And completeing these quests (which were at the time, more challenging to the general population) you unlocked a new game-changing feature. In terms of level requirement, the average quest is still just as difficult as it was in 05. But in 5 years, we cant start getting more updates for the people who have been playing the game in those 5 years? We got one population-growth-appropriate quest (nomads requiem) in 2009. The rest of the 2009 quests were no more challenging or difficult than the ones that were being released in 2005.

Honestly if you want to enjoy this game the most, stop leveling once you get like 80s in your stats. Someone could easily get 99 combats in like a year of playing the game, but yet in 5 years we seem to have made little progress in the average level requirement for stuff.

Also I think what you just proved is that, in 4 years of the company's growth, they managed to release content that was about on-par with what they were doing in 2005. Minus the addition of two entire skills that were useful and executed well ON THE RELEASE DATE. They didnt fail and have to implement Slayer batch #2 or Farming #2 like they had to do with the most recently released skill. Half a decade of company experience and leveling of the players, and we get updates that are similar, or somewhat worse. Why?

Fur n' seek added a new mini activity you can do weekly, while Spirits of the Elid added nothing to the game. Originally Nardah had an NPC to identify herbs beyond your herblore level for 200GP (?) each, but hard anyone uses it. When I was looking at Spirits of the Elid, all I was thinking was, "A mid level quest...hmm....I'll find another to pair with it". It could easily have been the Hunt for Red Raktuber, or Missing my Mummy. You're glorifying the release of Nardah.

---------------------------

DKs: Three polygons that's supposed to be the 'kings' of dagganoth. No information about them, besides the fact that they have great drops. To a monster hunter like me, that's just yet another money making method. The process of figuring out would have been fun to those involved. The eventual realisation that you can safespot Rex as long as you can isn't exactly wonderful gameplay. No one minds a new boss in the game of course, but on the other hand.....

MA: I've personally played the first scenario of the minigame for the uniform, and I would say (and so does Jagex) that it's impossible to match RTS games like Age of Empires and such, but tactics are still involved in the gameplay. Sure, too hyped up, too much delay. What has that got to do with the minigame? It upgrades old rings (including those from DKs), and is fun when I play for the fun of it. I see other players' tactics, and adopt them whenever I see fit. I purchase resources in preparation for as many kind of opponent as possible (the guys who stack the units and wait for you, the guys who move their units in a wonderfully straight line, the guys who don't know what they're doing...) If you're one of those people who joins the 2nd scenario and sucide to get your rank ASAP, and forcing yourself to go through the process 100 times a day to get your beloved imbued onyx ring, you're too focused on the reward itself.

Not to mention, at the end of the day, I can buy rings and hachets off players. But imbued rings are definitely my own work, just that I couple the actual fun of the minigame with it.

I compare TCC to MEP2 because I heard of how great MEP2 was. But the fact was, the quest involves proportionally so much more time on the puzzle itself that I was wondering if I'm play a high level difficulty suduku instead. Perhaps this is where we differ: I prefer quests as storybooks, not puzzle books. I spent a great deal of time talking to NPCs, reading the conversations, getting the feel of the setting in TCC. I spent a great deal of time running, running, running, running (Thank you, Spirit Terrorbird), running.......in MEP2. Not my ideal kind of quest.

New rune to craft, yes. Now, if you are Jagex, you can choose to either release the runecrafting ability in 2006, or 2009. Releasing MEP2 would have made 2009 a more decent year because according to you, MEP2 was a great update. But to hold back obvious content such as the next craftable rune in line would have been silly. The year 2006 has the advantage in terms of chronological order, compared to 2009, which is why I never see obvious updates like "The latest and highest level content for skill X" as a 'better' update, it's good, but not better.

You agree that D pick was a comparable update to D scimmy. Let's say that Monkey Madness beats Chaos Dwarf hands down in terms of the quest difficulty, and storyline depends on whether you prefer the dwarf or gnome plotline. Now, putting the quests involved aside, why does D scimmy gets remembered as a historical update, while no one seem to remember a D pick, the best tool for mining? Combat skills VS Non-combat skills. The year of the best herblore potions, best agility course and costume, best mining spots + fishing spot cannot match the year of the best cape, best armour and best weapon? Like I said earlier, you're going to be easily satisfied with the year 2010 since 80+ equipment is pretty much confirmed in the Live Q and A sessions.

I'm not sure about you, but I actually appreciate the near immediate upgrades that came along Summoning Batch 2, in terms of boosting/changing the timer system and the defence of the familiars, instead of dragging such crucial changes for a year or so.

On the contrary, Slayer was a skill which I see as a failure in implementation. You add one large tower and dungeon, dump a good proportion of the Slayer-only beasts in these two areas, add a bunch of normal monsters to the list, and call it Slayer. This is one skill that should have been released as late as possible, such as with summoning OR coupled immediately with several quests unlocking slayer monsters in other regions (zero possiblility of happening). Instead of batch 1 and 2, I think we can safely assume that both sets of familiars were intended to be released within a short timespan from each other. Have you ever seen anyone ranting about "We want high level summoning beast!", or is "Slayer died at level 90" more 'familiar' to you?

Summoning took a great deal of build-up in terms of adding seemingly useless items into the game first, along with choosing the less attractive items to work as ingredients, and solving multiple rants/requests on the forums at that time. If our Slayer list has that many variety of monsters to kill in proper regions (such as strykewyrms), I wouldn't mind if they released the skill a few years later. I guess this is the only example where chronological advantage goes to the update that gets added to the game as late as possible, due to the increased areas to add a greater variety of monsters.

If I don't train Summoning, I lose out in terms of improving my gameplay experience. If I don't train slayer, I'll only lose out on one less method of money making, along with a few quests with Slayer requirement. In fact, Slayer should be thanking Summoning for making itself more worthwhile by providing another incentive in the form of charms.

EDIT: The last section is rather off-topic in terms of the 2005/2009 comparison, so I guess that 2005 beat 2009 in the skill section with two skills in a single year! If the new skill of 2010 isn't sailing, then sailing should be added together with the unknown skill, so that we have another epic year of many skills.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

You agree that D pick was a comparable update to D scimmy. Let's say that Monkey Madness beats Chaos Dwarf hands down in terms of the quest difficulty, and storyline depends on whether you prefer the dwarf or gnome plotline. Now, putting the quests involved aside, why does D scimmy gets remembered as a historical update, while no one seem to remember a D pick, the best tool for mining? Combat skills VS Non-combat skills. The year of the best herblore potions, best agility course and costume, best mining spots + fishing spot cannot match the year of the best cape, best armour and best weapon? Like I said earlier, you're going to be easily satisfied with the year 2010 since 80+ equipment is pretty much confirmed in the Live Q and A sessions.

I agree with you more than you think I do. I really don't feel that last year was abyssmal. I mean, it was for awhile, but then a lot of things came out pretty quickly that added some real challenge to the game. It just gets hard when they bunch up all the good updates like that instead of releasing them in a constant stream.

Also, MY largest disappointment is just the lack of the GROWTH in updates. Say in 2005, they were "targeting" a certain group of players with the release of Barrows armor. Now it is 5 years from the release of that level 70 armor, and all we can be sure we are getting is something "80+". People are feeling concerned that "80+" is just going to mean one set of armor with a min level of 80. I mean, it could be that "80+" will mean 80 armor, 85, 90, 95 in one large glorious update. But lets just say they are going to release only one set, with a min requirement of 80. So 5 years ago, they wanted to please people with 70 defense? And now 5 years later they are going to target it at 80 defense?

If Jagex wanted to please the same player base, they would give us something a little higher than gaining 10 defense levels over 5 years...Barrows release was catering to a certain crowd, now 80 armor is going to cater to a younger and newer crowd, while the veteran players get stuck with no updates anymore because theyve been playing too long.

Its like they want us to quit and they just want to keep adding more and more stuff for new players, while the people who have been around long enough stop getting updates made for them.

Also, to me, trying to prove that the updates are "just as good" as 5 years ago doesnt mean a thing. That shows me there IS a problem. I dont want same-size areas now as we were getting 5 years ago. I dont want same-difficulty same-length quests as we were getting 5 years ago. I want to see progress made in the type of update, size of update, and quality of update to match the growth of the game's company and their player base.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I agree with you more than you think I do. I really don't feel that last year was abyssmal. I mean, it was for awhile, but then a lot of things came out pretty quickly that added some real challenge to the game. It just gets hard when they bunch up all the good updates like that instead of releasing them in a constant stream.

Also, MY largest disappointment is just the lack of the GROWTH in updates. Say in 2005, they were "targeting" a certain group of players with the release of Barrows armor. Now it is 5 years from the release of that level 70 armor, and all we can be sure we are getting is something "80+". People are feeling concerned that "80+" is just going to mean one set of armor with a min level of 80. I mean, it could be that "80+" will mean 80 armor, 85, 90, 95 in one large glorious update. But lets just say they are going to release only one set, with a min requirement of 80. So 5 years ago, they wanted to please people with 70 defense? And now 5 years later they are going to target it at 80 defense?

If Jagex wanted to please the same player base, they would give us something a little higher than gaining 10 defense levels over 5 years...Barrows release was catering to a certain crowd, now 80 armor is going to cater to a younger and newer crowd, while the veteran players get stuck with no updates anymore because theyve been playing too long.

Its like they want us to quit and they just want to keep adding more and more stuff for new players, while the people who have been around long enough stop getting updates made for them.

Also, to me, trying to prove that the updates are "just as good" as 5 years ago doesnt mean a thing. That shows me there IS a problem. I dont want same-size areas now as we were getting 5 years ago. I dont want same-difficulty same-length quests as we were getting 5 years ago. I want to see progress made in the type of update, size of update, and quality of update to match the growth of the game's company and their player base.

Well speaking of just Barrows armor in particular, I think a big portion of the problem is the bar was just set to high to begin with. As it is, Barrows armor is quite effective as armor on PvE. If the new 80 armor was to be made even more powerful what would happen to barrows armor? It would get left in the dust as "junk armor" only used for 10 levels and then discarded as useless as granite or rune.

From my point of view this is a big reason why Jagex have been hesitant to release 80+ armor. They are afraid not only will Barrows armor crash and be tossed away, but the armor would simply be to powerful for the game in its current state.

Only now that they are sure they can add the armor in a way that wont outbalance the game will they add those armors. The new use of Constitution may have something to do with this. I get the feeling new armors will be more vibrant in special effects rather than just straight up offensive and defensive stats.

Take Duel Arena for an example.

Do you earn new items? Not usually.

Do you make money? Maybe miniscule.

Why do people play it you ask?

They play it because they think it's FUN!

In the glory days of the duel arena: you would earn (or loose) many, many items and money! - This explicitly was a minigame that was about rewards!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Heh heh, if one generation of armour can last 5 years, and this year is going to be 80+ set only, I guess level 90+ armour would be scheduled in the year 2015? :thumbsup:

I don't really agree that updates can grow. They can accumulate over the years, but I'm not expecting the game to have more revolutional updates in 2010 than the year 2004, simply because a lot of levels gaps have been filled up first into the earlier years. In 2009, I can almost consider herblore, agility, woodcut, prayer, fishing and mining as nearly complete skills, along with summoning and firemaking, since these are skills which I rarely see people asking for more. Six skills gets completed just within a single year goes to show that if Jagex send all their developers working on high level content, non-combat skills takes just one single update to be completed.

"Farming update! one new herb, a few new trees and bushes, filling the gap from 85 to 99 farming!" One week.

"New cooking dish! Heal up to 300 with food such as Tomato and Turtle soup, Fruit Salad and Shark Sushi!" One week.

You get the point.

Then comes the combat section. You were saying that you want quality (subjective), quantitiy (Okay...), and type of update to improve. You also talked about endgame content, but you've only focused on the combat section of endgame content. New dungeons to get new armour to find new boss to get new armour to explore new dungeon.....putting aside the fact that we actually need to fill the 80-99 gap first, releasing those equipment either with boss monsters, quests or a mixture of both, and the problem with the plotline/reasoning behind digging up more dungeons, how should endgame for other non-combat skills come about? A rare seed from a dungeon boss for farmers? Special ingredients to whip up food items healing 500HP?

I have no experience with WoW, so I'm not sure how that game implement endgame content for non-combat jobs, but I don't think having all the non-combat skills depending on combat as the source of endgame content work very well in the context of RuneScape. My impression is that everyone playing WoW and enjoying the endgame must be a level 80 combat character, but I'm sure Jagex won't be implementing things like seeds/ingredients/ores from dungeon bosses, whether tradeable or not, because it pretty much pressurizes skillers to pay the combat oriented group for non-combat endgame resources if tradeable, or get level 138 combat themselves if non-tradeable.

Anyway, if we go back to the OP, I think that grumbling 3 months into the year is uncalled for. Heck, Three strykewyrms, two classes of slayer helm and one epic staff in a single update week beats tons of update out there hands down, Nardah, D halberd quest, Sheep herder, you name it. You paid your 2009 membership for content on comparable terms with 2006 even though 2006 has the upper hand in releasing new ideas for skill, and lots of unexplored game levels to fill up the gap.

--------------------

To Ampharaos, I don't think we need to worry about new armour overshadowing old ones. For example, we can have a monster that hits up to 2000 melee damage, does 1600 area ranged damage, has a special attack that hits 2500 damage through prayer on a single target, and constantly summons minions that drain combat stats off targets at 10 stat per drain. Barrows aren't going to do nuts here, but armour that increases your constitution by 2000 to survival the damage, along with a 10-15% damage negating effect for the whole set would be almost necessary for the fight. But out of the dungeon, you still have to use Guthans to heal, Dharok for that surprise KO, Veracs for a balance of prayer bonus and defence and to hit through prayer. Bandos set didn't change the fact that I still use verac for solo Kalphite queen trips, so I doubt new equipment will.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Heh heh, if one generation of armour can last 5 years, and this year is going to be 80+ set only, I guess level 90+ armour would be scheduled in the year 2015? :thumbsup:

I don't really agree that updates can grow. They can accumulate over the years, but I'm not expecting the game to have more revolutional updates in 2010 than the year 2004, simply because a lot of levels gaps have been filled up first into the earlier years. In 2009, I can almost consider herblore, agility, woodcut, prayer, fishing and mining as nearly complete skills, along with summoning and firemaking, since these are skills which I rarely see people asking for more. Six skills gets completed just within a single year goes to show that if Jagex send all their developers working on high level content, non-combat skills takes just one single update to be completed.

"Farming update! one new herb, a few new trees and bushes, filling the gap from 85 to 99 farming!" One week.

"New cooking dish! Heal up to 300 with food such as Tomato and Turtle soup, Fruit Salad and Shark Sushi!" One week.

You get the point.

Then comes the combat section. You were saying that you want quality (subjective), quantitiy (Okay...), and type of update to improve. You also talked about endgame content, but you've only focused on the combat section of endgame content. New dungeons to get new armour to find new boss to get new armour to explore new dungeon.....putting aside the fact that we actually need to fill the 80-99 gap first, releasing those equipment either with boss monsters, quests or a mixture of both, and the problem with the plotline/reasoning behind digging up more dungeons, how should endgame for other non-combat skills come about? A rare seed from a dungeon boss for farmers? Special ingredients to whip up food items healing 500HP?

I have no experience with WoW, so I'm not sure how that game implement endgame content for non-combat jobs, but I don't think having all the non-combat skills depending on combat as the source of endgame content work very well in the context of RuneScape. My impression is that everyone playing WoW and enjoying the endgame must be a level 80 combat character, but I'm sure Jagex won't be implementing things like seeds/ingredients/ores from dungeon bosses, whether tradeable or not, because it pretty much pressurizes skillers to pay the combat oriented group for non-combat endgame resources if tradeable, or get level 138 combat themselves if non-tradeable.

Anyway, if we go back to the OP, I think that grumbling 3 months into the year is uncalled for. Heck, Three strykewyrms, two classes of slayer helm and one epic staff in a single update week beats tons of update out there hands down, Nardah, D halberd quest, Sheep herder, you name it. You paid your 2009 membership for content on comparable terms with 2006 even though 2006 has the upper hand in releasing new ideas for skill, and lots of unexplored game levels to fill up the gap.

Back in RSC, people had a similar tone. When "members" RS came out they added a landslide of content. Then updates were coming, things were getting added, the KBD was a fancy new thing called a "boss monster". But people were wondering "Where in the world can we even go from here? These fancy new dragon weapons are extremely powerful. Hell, speaking of RSC, we used to have to trade things in for "certificates" if we wanted to trade more than 12 items at a time (I think 12). And people just did NOT imagine runescape any other way.

Maybe something new and "unimaginable" needs to come along? I dont know. Clearly if we add stuff to the game with the current development process, we are shooting ourselves in the foot. If new stuff comes out for level 99 skillers, this is great for them. But how good is it for the game as a whole? Do new players ever think they will even get a 99? It surely takes around a year to even max out melees, and this is quite a long time in comparison to how long it takes to max out your character in other online games. Hell, in WoW, it takes maybe 1 day to max a profession if you are level 80.

Honestly, maybe we should just put the level cap down to 80 in all skills. I mean the only reason 99 seems significant is because they decided to extend it that far in you being able to "level" from the exp you are getting. Hell, I guess when you look at it, theres 187 million exp remaining after you hit 99, but nobody is saying these people need rewarded. Whats so special about the levels 90-99 anyway? Its just the area where they seemingly arbitrarily decided to stop counting exp towards level ups. Maybe we are supposed to see the level 90-95ish area as an invisible wall where getting new things stops and you now start playing for high scores.

Its hard to say what to do. If the updates are aimed too low, only new players enjoy them. If they are aimed at the middle, then new players see them, work for them, achieve them, then their skills are too high and the updates no longer cater to them. If updates are too high, it is seemingly a little ridiculous to expect someone new to the game to look at something and be like "its gonna take me a year to even get the newest armor?". But how can we continue to update the game without giving new things to the people who have been around the longest? Does Jagex not want us to play for more than a year or two? Are we supposed to "beat" Runescape, and then focus on the Hiscores table? I would really like to hear Jagex's opinion on whether they will ever really give a sizeable portion of updates to level 90+ players, or if there is a certain range of skills where it is honestly supposed to be more about hiscores.

Myweponsgood.gif

Sorry for straying off-topic, but just wanted to say thanks to whoever posted that 2005 update list. Sure took me back to the old days :P (started playing early Dec 2004)

dirk4slayer.png

Chuck Norris doesn't ever need a compass; he randomly points somewhere and north goes there in order not to anger him.

Farming is a perfect example of a skill that has too much content at the lower levels.

Below lvl 60 - 43 seeds

Level 60+ 5 seeds

Level 70+ 5 seeds

Level 80+ 2 seeds

If you take a look at any skill besides summoning there is far too much content at the lower levels.

If there was an update implemented that linked experience directly to your skill level it would make so much more content playable.

For instance if you were level 90 farming then potato seeds would give as much experience as planting a torstol seed.

As it is now there is so much content that is just not used by the majority of players who power level using a few boring powerleveling methods.

It's the same with all of the armour sets unlocked if you have 40 defense vs 60 defense vs 70 defense.

40 defense has the most to pick from when it should be the other way around. If the goal was to have content be used.

The focus just should not be lower level or even mid-level content. Runescape is overflowing with content for those levels at this point.

grumbling 3 months into the year is uncalled for. Heck, Three strykewyrms, two classes of slayer helm and one epic staff

Are you congratulating them for finally releasing the range and mage version of the slayer helm?

It's only 4 years late.

It should have been released with the original slayer helm.

grumbling 3 months into the year is uncalled for. Heck, Three strykewyrms, two classes of slayer helm and one epic staff

Are you congratulating them for finally releasing the range and mage version of the slayer helm?

It's only 4 years late.

It should have been released with the original slayer helm.

Perhaps, but you're talking about a MMO, not an offline RPG. Technically people would be think why it's that hard to release the 80-99 equipment as well. Well, it's not difficult, but a matter of keeping the suspense, giving oneself time for development, and doing business. The more of the obvious gap filling content you try to release in the past, the more difficult it would be to maintain the same standard in later years. If all the good stuff appeared in 2005, in the year 2010 no one is going to say "Thanks Jagex for the amazing year 2005, I'm going to continue playing in the year 2010 even though there's no more revolutionary update this year." Instead, people would be comparing the epic year 2005 to all the later lackluster years.

If you're the developer, would you release the strykewyrms together witth cave horrors, or 80+ gear right after GWD, and then 'attempt' to make 2010 as epic with some supposed endgame content?

--------------------------------------

Back in RSC, people had a similar tone. When "members" RS came out they added a landslide of content. Then updates were coming, things were getting added, the KBD was a fancy new thing called a "boss monster". But people were wondering "Where in the world can we even go from here? These fancy new dragon weapons are extremely powerful. Hell, speaking of RSC, we used to have to trade things in for "certificates" if we wanted to trade more than 12 items at a time (I think 12). And people just did NOT imagine runescape any other way.

Maybe something new and "unimaginable" needs to come along? I dont know. Clearly if we add stuff to the game with the current development process, we are shooting ourselves in the foot. If new stuff comes out for level 99 skillers, this is great for them. But how good is it for the game as a whole? Do new players ever think they will even get a 99? It surely takes around a year to even max out melees, and this is quite a long time in comparison to how long it takes to max out your character in other online games. Hell, in WoW, it takes maybe 1 day to max a profession if you are level 80.

Honestly, maybe we should just put the level cap down to 80 in all skills. I mean the only reason 99 seems significant is because they decided to extend it that far in you being able to "level" from the exp you are getting. Hell, I guess when you look at it, theres 187 million exp remaining after you hit 99, but nobody is saying these people need rewarded. Whats so special about the levels 90-99 anyway? Its just the area where they seemingly arbitrarily decided to stop counting exp towards level ups. Maybe we are supposed to see the level 90-95ish area as an invisible wall where getting new things stops and you now start playing for high scores.

Its hard to say what to do. If the updates are aimed too low, only new players enjoy them. If they are aimed at the middle, then new players see them, work for them, achieve them, then their skills are too high and the updates no longer cater to them. If updates are too high, it is seemingly a little ridiculous to expect someone new to the game to look at something and be like "its gonna take me a year to even get the newest armor?". But how can we continue to update the game without giving new things to the people who have been around the longest? Does Jagex not want us to play for more than a year or two? Are we supposed to "beat" Runescape, and then focus on the Hiscores table? I would really like to hear Jagex's opinion on whether they will ever really give a sizeable portion of updates to level 90+ players, or if there is a certain range of skills where it is honestly supposed to be more about hiscores.

With regards to how people could not imagine what's coming next after level 60 dragon gear, I can answer the question: level 70 gear (Behold year 2005!). In the past, people were surprised that dragon items get added to the game, but would people today be thinking "Where can the game move on" after the release of 80+ gear? I doubt so. It is clear that there's the level gap to fill, and even if there's no new challenges, people would still 'expect' level 90+ gear sooner or later. That's the difference in mentality with the player base of the past and present. Adding level 60 gear is equivalent to revolutionary, yet adding 80 gear is directing people to hope for more.

If Jagex release content in the form of 'expansion', releasing say, 4 months' worth of content in one go, they can have a mixture of low and high level content released at the same time. But ignoring the fact that some players would be nitpicking about how part of the 'expansion are low level and 'bad' updates when the expansion gets released, how many players can handle 4 months of headline-less RuneScape homepage? I visit the homepage more frequently whenever it's the start of the week to see what's the latest update, even though I myself haven't done Ardougne Elite diary, haven't fought a Corporeal Beast, haven't obtained a single spirit shield, haven't unlocked Soul split and Turmoil, extreme potions, and my POH is in shambles. It's the RuneScape culture to see updates every week even if you still have something to do in the game. :blink:

Zepheras.png

-F1775

January

February

March

April

May

June

------------------------

July

August

September

October

November

December

I'd expect the new skill somewhere around May\June, though I'd like it next week.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

The problem is not the frequency of large updates, but the low quality of larger updates. The game-changing updates last year were simply not replayable for fun, even though they offered important new training methods. New dungeons, skills, boss monsters make you want to come online; 2009's big updates just made training slightly easier once you got online in the first place.

The gap between new skills is now at 2.5 years compared to a 6 month difference back in 2005. That's fine, as long as it is replayable. If you factor in the supposed smithing update, I ask you to look at the list of skills - almost every one has had some sort of new training method or skill revamp in the last year or so. A few haven't, but in general, we've got a good set of alternatives leading the way. Hopefully now we can focus on additional high-quality updates that change the way we play dramatically instead of changing the color of the potion we're grinding.

2496 Completionist

With regards to how people could not imagine what's coming next after level 60 dragon gear, I can answer the question: level 70 gear (Behold year 2005!). In the past, people were surprised that dragon items get added to the game, but would people today be thinking "Where can the game move on" after the release of 80+ gear? I doubt so. It is clear that there's the level gap to fill, and even if there's no new challenges, people would still 'expect' level 90+ gear sooner or later. That's the difference in mentality with the player base of the past and present. Adding level 60 gear is equivalent to revolutionary, yet adding 80 gear is directing people to hope for more.

If Jagex release content in the form of 'expansion', releasing say, 4 months' worth of content in one go, they can have a mixture of low and high level content released at the same time. But ignoring the fact that some players would be nitpicking about how part of the 'expansion are low level and 'bad' updates when the expansion gets released, how many players can handle 4 months of headline-less RuneScape homepage? I visit the homepage more frequently whenever it's the start of the week to see what's the latest update, even though I myself haven't done Ardougne Elite diary, haven't fought a Corporeal Beast, haven't obtained a single spirit shield, haven't unlocked Soul split and Turmoil, extreme potions, and my POH is in shambles. It's the RuneScape culture to see updates every week even if you still have something to do in the game. :blink:

What I was referring to was how godswords and D claws are already so tremendously powerful, that some people are arguing that there is no practical need for any new equipment. I was just drawing a comparison between this and when dragon was the highest and people had the same feelings. But new bosses and stuff came along and the new weapons ended up being pretty properly powerful.

The only problem I see, and I am pretty sure everyone agrees with this, is that the current 70ish weapons/armor are already borderline too powerful vs players. If 99 weapons, hell even if 80 weapons, were released, there would need to be some type of innovation that we havent seen thus far which would make the new weapons not ridiculously incredibly OP in pvp. Perhaps this is what theyve been figuring out.

Myweponsgood.gif

What I was referring to was how godswords and D claws are already so tremendously powerful, that some people are arguing that there is no practical need for any new equipment. I was just drawing a comparison between this and when dragon was the highest and people had the same feelings. But new bosses and stuff came along and the new weapons ended up being pretty properly powerful.

The only problem I see, and I am pretty sure everyone agrees with this, is that the current 70ish weapons/armor are already borderline too powerful vs players. If 99 weapons, hell even if 80 weapons, were released, there would need to be some type of innovation that we havent seen thus far which would make the new weapons not ridiculously incredibly OP in pvp. Perhaps this is what theyve been figuring out.

Which is why we need better armor and a total reworking of the Defense system.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Especially questers have had lack of updates. The last quest which continued older storylines (Fremennik series - Blood Runs Deep) was released during December 2009.

The last high level quest (Nomad's requiem) was released during January 2010, but it didn't continue any older series. The amount of story in Nomad's requiem was very low considering that it's a grandmaster quest.

Made 20 mil from imp update which I'm now using for untrimmed construction so im all for the imp update. which leads into why has construction got only 2 updates since release.

We have not had a really good update with new armour repeatability and bosses etc since gwd. All of last year was pointless pretty much excluding a few things, a really big update AND skill is far overdue

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

. All of last year was pointless pretty much excluding a few things, a really big update AND skill is far overdue

that's what it is all about: taking most of the larger updates for granted, because we expect them. we're very demanding, really. rightfully so?

Which is why we need better armor and a total reworking of the Defense system.

Better armor wouldnt do the trick, cause as of right now there are really few people who actually even wear barrows armor. A lot of pvp seems to be people who are ready to die, running around in rune, and prot-iteming their AGS

Myweponsgood.gif