Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

Assume Nothing

Guest Smelly Paws

Feeling shitty.

This annoys me. I think board moderators/crew/staff should conduct themselves better. Sorry Star but it just lacks any class IMO.

I'm well within the rules there and free to express myself in this venting thread.

it's about setting standards, not managing to keep within the rules. You set the standards that other people follow, which includes your use of language. Sorry but poor show.

Feeling shitty.

This annoys me. I think board moderators/crew/staff should conduct themselves better. Sorry Star but it just lacks any class IMO.

I'm well within the rules there and free to express myself in this venting thread.

it's about setting standards, not managing to keep within the rules. You set the standards that other people follow, which includes your use of language. Sorry but poor show.

The human race has standards now?

I'm sure that Star wasn't the first person to use language like that on this board.

Feeling shitty.

you want her to aspire to a standard that nobody but you cares about, hth

but it's cool that someone said they feel shitty and the first thing you think to do is nitpick their use of language, well done

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Guest Smelly Paws

It looks like standards went way over peoples heads. Glad that's cleared that up then. I know that I'm probably dealing with teens/low end 20 some things and that this type of thing is engrained into your cultures. Most of you wouldn't use such language in front of your parents/someone else's parents or polite company so why's it acceptable here? I've got every right to be offended by it if a mod uses it.

It might be the norm for most of you but if you are a part of tipit with some sort of badge to your name (mod, editorial, monster hunt etc.), volunteer or not, I'd expect you to abide by some code of conduct. I presume that codes of conduct exist? Freedom to speak is one thing but.....I won't do the spiderman quote.

It might be the norm for most of you but if you are a part of tipit with some sort of badge to your name (mod, editorial, monster hunt etc.), volunteer or not, I'd expect you to abide by some code of conduct. I presume that codes of conduct exist? Freedom to speak is one thing but.....I won't do the spiderman quote.

There is a code of conduct for mods. It's surprisingly rigorous, and ultimately the powers-that-be aren't bothered by language as much as whether you're not a terrible person and you're actually doing your job well (As Star is, and as Star does).

• Like 2

This isn't exactly a formal environment. OT is a forum, on the internet, of a bare handful of people who are all pretty closely knit. I don't think anyone's saying you don't have a right to be offended, just that it's not worth it.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

We absolutely hold our staff to standards, and yes, there is a code of conduct. However, part of being staff here is maintaining yourself as a member of the community, not always being a moderator, or a crewbie, and just being a user. If that means allowing our staff to get away with a "shitty" or "crap" here or there, so be it. If a staff member adopted it as their word of the week, that would be an issue, but we have no problem with staff being casual where appropriate. As it applies to moderation, we actually get a lot of benefit out of being both staff and users in the form of higher quality moderation as well as co-operation. These are the potential joys to having a community that is staffed by it's won peers.

That said, you have every right to be offended. Everyone has their own level of formality and so forth that they prefer.

Alg summed it up nicely, that there are perhaps higher things up the priorities than maintaining a constant business level standard of communication.

It looks like standards went way over peoples heads. Glad that's cleared that up then. I know that I'm probably dealing with teens/low end 20 some things and that this type of thing is engrained into your cultures. Most of you wouldn't use such language in front of your parents/someone else's parents or polite company so why's it acceptable here? I've got every right to be offended by it if a mod uses it.

You have every right to be offended, but not to impose your moral code on the users of this forum. If swear words are that offensive to you, consider some kind of censoring browser extension.

Though, I will be honest, I kind of miss the [cabbage] censor. Not because I'm offended by the word shit, but because it was just kind of iconic, and for a long time I had trained my brain to read cabbage as shit. Like, there was just one day I was on Facebook, and someone said cabbage in the context of food or something, for whatever reason, and I was really confused for a second.

• Like 1

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I hate it how those pop-ups we've been talking about only have appeared when on mobile or on my iPad. And then on full website version, not mobile version.

Oh, also, I am annoyed by that mobile version. Feels counterintuitive, I don't know why, but I prefer the full version on my phone and tablet.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Hmm. I could always change one of the other censored words to cabbage. I even have an idea for which word I might choose that would make sense (as in, both nouns), and add some humor. I'm not sure I have ever seen it come up, but all the common ones that are nouns already have something (that is, wagon and garden tool). I am unsure if I would want to revive cabbage on another word though. I could always do something like 'brassicas' (or even red cabbage) though to revive the spirit.

Guest Smelly Paws

There is a code of conduct for mods. It's surprisingly rigorous, and ultimately the powers-that-be aren't bothered by language as much as whether you're not a terrible person and you're actually doing your job well (As Star is, and as Star does).

I hardly think allowing a moderator to use foul language is considered rigorous. If someone in a position of responsibility cannot conduct themselves in a civil manner I have an issue with that. This is all done in a forum which has public access and there lies the problem.

We absolutely hold our staff to standards, and yes, there is a code of conduct. However, part of being staff here is maintaining yourself as a member of the community, not always being a moderator, or a crewbie, and just being a user. If that means allowing our staff to get away with a "shitty" or "crap" here or there, so be it. If a staff member adopted it as their word of the week, that would be an issue, but we have no problem with staff being casual where appropriate. As it applies to moderation, we actually get a lot of benefit out of being both staff and users in the form of higher quality moderation as well as co-operation. These are the potential joys to having a community that is staffed by it's won peers.

That said, you have every right to be offended. Everyone has their own level of formality and so forth that they prefer.

Alg summed it up nicely, that there are perhaps higher things up the priorities than maintaining a constant business level standard of communication.

If you want your moderators to conduct themselves that way then that’s your prerogative. It’s your website. For me the make the difference between a good site and a second rate one. It’s like any establishment where you hear the staff swear – lowers the tone of the place no matter how wonderful the place looks. All that time making an excellent website with some great content is wasted. Peer staffing has nothing to do with this, I’ve only commented on the fact they shouldn’t swear if they hold a Tipit position.

If you have higher priorities than keeping your website a good place to come, particularly to fairly new users like me, then be my guest.

I don't see a problem with staff using such language as a means of expression. Its not like you'll find that language in any formal posts (announcements etc), on the actual website or directed at other forum users, which I agree would be an issue if that were the case.

One of my peeves is memes making their way into places they should never be. Such as the "ermagerd" way of warping words, but just thrown at a general sentence.

• Like 1

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

If you want your moderators to conduct themselves that way then that’s your prerogative. It’s your website. For me the make the difference between a good site and a second rate one. It’s like any establishment where you hear the staff swear – lowers the tone of the place no matter how wonderful the place looks. All that time making an excellent website with some great content is wasted. Peer staffing has nothing to do with this, I’ve only commented on the fact they shouldn’t swear if they hold a Tipit position.

I'm sorry, you'll have to explain this one to me.

Let's say I use a search engine to look for a RuneScape fansite. I find their DGSweeper tool and their PoP calculator very useful. I go onto the forum, find a moderator using a very minor swear word (which contrary to what you argued above, isn't actually against our rules in the first place). You seem to be arguing that all the things I used the main site for originally are now no longer useful. So... the PoP calculator breaks and DGSweeper no longer captures maps... because a moderator on the fansite swore?

Stop picking a fight here. Star did nothing wrong from our perspective. If you still feel she was wrong, and our principles are wrong, you're more than welcome to select from the five other 'Platinum' fansites listed by Jagex on their own forum. Your right to be offended is manifested in your ability and freedom to choose which website you want to visit, or perhaps more pertinently, what websites you don't want to visit.

Guest Smelly Paws

That's just a tad agressive Ginger. I'm always happy to debate anything constructive but for some reason you're assuming I'm attacking Star personally which when you read the posts is evidently not the case. I will point out that that reputation can suffer. Employment tends to teach you that. By all means come back when you've calmed down.

'Kay. I'll fold here. Should never have made that reply. I'm sure it wasn't what Star would have wanted me to do, and I apologise for that.

-------------------------

Reforms of nursing training are "stupid"--Royal College of Nursing

I'm annoyed in my government. The Francis inquiry that was set-up as a result of poor care at Mid Staffs hospital was quite clear in its conclusion that front line staff weren't to blame. What was to blame was a culture of cost-cutting that started under the previous Labour government when it told the Trust it must acquire Foundation Status; part of their requirements was to find £10m's worth of savings. As is usual in business when savings need to be made, staff were cut. The wards in question were severely understaffed and under-resourced, which lead to the bad care received.

The Francis inquiry made a number of suggestions. Not amongst them was a reform of pre-training nursing entry requirements. The government has essentially decided to make up its own suggestions, and completely ignore many of the suggestions that were actually made but are desperately wanted and needed, such as a register for care assistants and a commitment to minimum staff levels. Their main newly-made suggestion is that nursing students should do one years worth of work as a healthcare assistant to learn the "menial tasks" of nursing (see also: wiping patient's arses, bedbathing patients, feeding patients who can't feed themselves, assisting with toileting needs) before they can even start their training.

Nursing students already work the equivalent of 60 weeks full-time work in practice delivering patient care as part of the three-year degree course, indeed, we are marked and signed off by registered nurses for demonstrating competency at the basic care tasks listed above, and for the professional attitudes and skill we show while doing them. From my own experience, we miss out on a lot of our additional competencies as nursing students above healthcare assistants because, frankly, the ward hasn't got the staff and we're basically used as free support workers to fill up the holes in rotas, meaning we don't have time to spend with registered nurses to learn our trade.

I'm furious that they're making this a requirement, because a) it's not needed; b) it won't improve care beyond the current training requirements and c) it appears to making nurses and nursing students a scapegoat for errors committed by both the current and previous governments. But the thing that annoys me most is that the reasons Mid Staff happened, and the factors identified by the Francis inquiry which cost multi-millions of taxpayers' pounds, are not going to be addressed at all.

So, to sum up, nothing will actually improve, and my whole profession is scapegoated by politicians who are purposefully lying to try and avoid any blame for their own role in the failings at Mid Staff.

Where do I go to complain about Tip.It ads so that admins will hear about it? That one banner ad that covers the entire window and has no option for closing it (forcing you to either go back to the previous page and try again or in my case just get frustrated and close the tab) is completely obnoxious and unsuited for Tip.it, who are normally pretty classy about their ads.

• Like 1

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

deleted. not kindling fire

well maybe a picture to everyone

~Snip - Randox

really TIF no image extensions from anywhere?

.png

And you can skip those ads idk why people say you can't. It's not that hard to see.

http://i.imgur.com/eOUY6Fy.png

Edited by Randox
Applying changes to quote