14 Day Bans for Bots

xpandax

Three chances to macro is too much IMHO. Jagex needs to track something... say the user's MAC address. A player that gets three bans for macroing is likely to do it again. By keeping the player's MAC address, they don't get chances four five and six on a different account. They can also hurt them with their mains - you cheat on one account, you're banned on all accounts.

MAC Addresses are piss easy to spoof. I suggest you leave Jagex to do what to do instead of trying to recommend Jagex to use flawed methods. They after all know what they are doing. And not only that, but what if its a shared or public computer?

If its a public computer, they wouldn't use the same one over and over and over. Also, I don't think its feasible to leave a macro running on a public computer for hours?

Anyhow, MAC Adresses are unique. IPs are not necessarily (until IPv6, then they'll be able to be unique). The idea was just to know which accounts are linked together.

Just checked, Java doesn't have a native method to get MAC addresses until version 6, so Jagex wouldn't do it anyway.

But nabbing the idiots that create a new account solely to macro would give me some satisfaction.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you punished, exactly?

We are being punished by having to spend more time and effort acquiring the same things that cheaters can obtain while asleep and leaving a botting program running. Regular people who put in the effort to get decent levels that feature in the highscores are having these acheivements lessened by this leniency.

It takes LESS effort to acquire the same things cheaters obtain. Instead of spending an hour spinning bowstrings, go mine rune for an hour, something bots don't do, and buy a thousand bowstrings and pocket the difference.

Bots cause cheaper materials which makes playing the game easier for legitimate players. It's a positive side effect of bots.

I DO NOT THINK BOTTING IS A GOOD IDEA OR A FUN WAY TO PLAY THIS GAME. However when other players bot menial tasks, I benefit.

We are being punished by having to spend more time and effort acquiring the same things that cheaters can obtain while asleep and leaving a botting program running. Regular people who put in the effort to get decent levels that feature in the highscores are having these acheivements lessened by this leniency.

It takes LESS effort to acquire the same things cheaters obtain. Instead of spending an hour spinning bowstrings, go mine rune for an hour, something bots don't do, and buy a thousand bowstrings and pocket the difference.

Bots cause cheaper materials which makes playing the game easier for legitimate players. It's a positive side effect of bots.

I DO NOT THINK BOTTING IS A GOOD IDEA OR A FUN WAY TO PLAY THIS GAME. However when other players bot menial tasks, I benefit.

33cahvm.jpg

Yeah, because people leaving one of these running overnight, getting loads of cash and then driving up the price of things is a real possitive side effect of bots.

Edit: Whatever lower prices there are going to be due to botting materials, high end items for which the money is gained are going to be driven up. There are no possitive side effects, you'll always lose somewhere.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

33cahvm.jpg

Yeah, because people leaving one of these running overnight, getting loads of cash and then driving up the price of things is a real possitive side effect of bots.

Edit: Whatever lower prices there are going to be due to botting materials, high end items for which the money is gained are going to be driven up. There are no possitive side effects, you'll always lose somewhere.

High priced high end items is good for me, since these are the items I gather. And 100k gp/h is awful - I make more money in 15 minutes than that player makes in 12 hours botting over night.

But yes, there is always a downside.

Three chances to macro is too much IMHO. Jagex needs to track something... say the user's MAC address. A player that gets three bans for macroing is likely to do it again. By keeping the player's MAC address, they don't get chances four five and six on a different account. They can also hurt them with their mains - you cheat on one account, you're banned on all accounts.

MAC Addresses are piss easy to spoof. I suggest you leave Jagex to do what to do instead of trying to recommend Jagex to use flawed methods. They after all know what they are doing. And not only that, but what if its a shared or public computer?

If its a public computer, they wouldn't use the same one over and over and over. Also, I don't think its feasible to leave a macro running on a public computer for hours?

Anyhow, MAC Adresses are unique. IPs are not necessarily (until IPv6, then they'll be able to be unique). The idea was just to know which accounts are linked together.

Just checked, Java doesn't have a native method to get MAC addresses until version 6, so Jagex wouldn't do it anyway.

But nabbing the idiots that create a new account solely to macro would give me some satisfaction.

MAC Addresses are unique, however they are not hard to change (depending on Ethernet card) or to spoof it. Its no more guaranteed than tracking by IP. Hardware serials would be the best way to go (even then you can still spoof these), although I doubt that's possible with native Java specially without the signed client.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

[hide]quote name='bladewing' date='13 May 2010 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1273772731' post='4273408']

33cahvm.jpg

High priced high end items is good for me, since these are the items I gather. And 100k gp/h is awful - I make more money in 15 minutes than that player makes in 12 hours botting over night.

But yes, there is always a downside.

[/hide]

It's a very old picture. I saw one a few days ago on an image board that was getting 420k an hour on a sub level 50 account :(

And if that guy is earning 160k an hour, and he leaves it on overnight (8 hours) that's 1,280,000 he'll wake up to in the morning. If you can make that in 15 minutes (that's what, over 5m an hour?) then I would very much like to know you money making methods.

But I digress, your original question was how are regular players punished, and I think, I've said how I perceive this to be the case.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

I can make about 2-3m a night mining rune. Its all about the spots :P Dark Beasts and heroes are actually almost always ore filled. Keldagrim and wildy however usually are taken.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Essentially:

Bots are bad for new players since they are in direct competition with each other: picking flax, spinning bowstrings, picking up other resources.

Bots are good for older players since they use these materials and spend their time gathering high level materials such as rune or Armadyl Hilts, which will go up in price.

Therefore, bladewing would love bots, I would have no opinion, and my level 40 friend would hate them.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

As if there wasn't "TMAC" that changes MAC address in no time. And even w/o it, you can do it manually.

Honestly, insta ban. I can suffer having high prices on items, I can't suffer 200 000 lvls 138 who are as stupid as a brick on RS. All of whom have 500m each.

Profins.png

specty.png

As if there wasn't "TMAC" that changes MAC address in no time. And even w/o it, you can do it manually.

Honestly, insta ban. I can suffer having high prices on items, I can't suffer 200 000 lvls 138 who are as stupid as a brick on RS. All of whom have 500m each.

Right... but if you want to catch the masses of rule breakers and their associated accounts, this'll work for 90% of them or more.

3 strikes completely contradicts their previous hard-line stances.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Checkbook > rulebook

Thats most companies' stance on things.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

"screw the rules I have money" comes to mind....cookie to whoever can tell me who said it first

anyways....i dont think a 3 strike system is harsh enough. it should be a 1 month ban for 1st offense and then perma for 2nd. 14 days is too easy, especially if the person isnt even playing anyways. if anything, the bot will be the one that goes into withdrawl.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Right... but if you want to catch the masses of rule breakers and their associated accounts, this'll work for 90% of them or more.

3 strikes completely contradicts their previous hard-line stances.

Lol no. It just means someone writes a guide on how to use a MAC address spoofing programs. Or maybe even incorporate spoofing into the bots themselves.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

Lol no. It just means someone writes a guide on how to use a MAC address spoofing programs. Or maybe even incorporate spoofing into the bots themselves.

Doubt it. People that use macros are lazy to begin with. Also if the MAC address of the computer abruptly changes (i.e. they run the macro after opening up runescape), that'll be a tell. Also, if they forget to change back their MAC with their macro, they'll get caught. All it takes is one slip up.

It doesn't have to be exclusively MAC, they can do IP too. You'll have a more difficult time changing that (use a proxy and super lag?)

They can also use local files to track accounts... hundreds of possibilities. How they do it, I could care less. Point is that the cheater needs actions taken against them, banning throwaway accounts isn't enough.

♪♪ And I'm not done

No pic no proof.

This thread reaks of a fishing expedition to get people to come to well known cheat sites.

The only benefits I ever recieved from people botting was my silver crown with the "P" in the middle and the satisfaction of ruining somebody's little party. :razz:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I personally think it's because of money. I have a feeling they are having a rough time (financially) the last few months/last year

^ This I agree.

Also this new skill is f2p which has pushed lots of people to skip purchasing members.

They have also angered and alienated many of their customers by doing 2x exp and other stupid updates that make 99s easier.

I personally think it's because of money. I have a feeling they are having a rough time (financially) the last few months/last year

^ This I agree.

Also this new skill is f2p which has pushed lots of people to skip purchasing members.

They have also angered and alienated many of their customers by doing 2x exp and other stupid updates that make 99s easier.

99's weren't a problem until the capes and some players became fixed on getting them. TBH i couldn't care less and will wear my sw cape most of the time..

Solo GWD'er

Drops: Bandos Hilt x 1/ boots x 1 / Steam staff x 1 / Shards x 9

99 Str/ 99 Att/ 99 HP (More to come...)

No pic no proof.

This thread reaks of a fishing expedition to get people to come to well known cheat sites.

The only benefits I ever recieved from people botting was my silver crown with the "P" in the middle and the satisfaction of ruining somebody's little party. :razz:

[Removed Image]

paranoid much?

Bladewing, funny you should mention mining rune. A well known private mining script mines rune in keldagrim, heroes guild, or neitz it switches worlds based on the respawn rates of the ores. Private cheats are greatly underestimated, people assume botters are still using crappy color clickers like in 06, or free scripts that mess up but that isn't true. A large percentage of macroers are using private scripts that aren't going to mess up and can do alot of things you wouldn't expect them to be able to do.

Edited by Racheya
Don't post images of private correspondence with Jagex
pandapk2.jpg

It's an "M" :wink:

But yeah, this is a HUGE slap in the face to legitimate players. I have spent years gaining levels and spending time ingame and some lazy jerks just bot for a couple weeks and get just as high levels. This game is for humans not robots!

Thing is, since they face no punishment whatsoever after 2nd strike (if they stop autoing), they can sell the account for a lot of money. What was the point of all the RWT updates if they just do this?

I don't think many people are selling accounts anymore: I think that the number of people who are high level and quitting, and the number of people who want to buy accounts just isn't in the correct ratio: if you're only going to get $10 for your level 100 acc, why would you bother selling and never being able to play again?

Because a level 100+ account can run 200+ dollars...

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

You think people cant change their mac address? Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Anyone in the cheating community could get past that in .0002 seconds.

Fools_Taco.png

"screw the rules I have money" comes to mind....cookie to whoever can tell me who said it first

anyways....i dont think a 3 strike system is harsh enough. it should be a 1 month ban for 1st offense and then perma for 2nd. 14 days is too easy, especially if the person isnt even playing anyways. if anything, the bot will be the one that goes into withdrawl.

Kaiba from LittleKuriboh's Yu-gi-oh the Abridged Series! I love that show! :^_^:

a8aa5bbc88.png

People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly.

--Brendan Francis

I'm always astonished by how much people know about macros every time I see this kind of post...

it's not that hard to read their forums, plus a few people that i know irl that go to the same college as I do have botted for the past year, so i get a pretty first hand insight into the more private cheating community.

pandapk2.jpg