Chaotic Rapier vs Longsword

Lep

This is probably off topic, but I'll ask here instead of making a new thread.

For general slaying with a rapier, is ardougne cloak 3 better than SW Cape? How much more time can I save with +6 stab on, say, a metal dragon task?

Generally, yes, as you can get a high enough prayer bonus from your other gear to cover using turmoil.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

This is probably off topic, but I'll ask here instead of making a new thread.

For general slaying with a rapier, is ardougne cloak 3 better than SW Cape? How much more time can I save with +6 stab on, say, a metal dragon task?

Generally, yes, as you can get a high enough prayer bonus from your other gear to cover using turmoil.

I would say so.

My standard setup of Verac's Skirt / Fire Cape (SW cape on some tasks) / BCP (or Proselyte body) / Fury gives me enough.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

For the fastest XP/h, fire cape is best. The reason people don't use it is because of the gp saved on ppots by using SW/Ardy and that the time saved by the Fire cape is almost negligible.

I know of quite a few people who would be willing to argue that the time saved is hardly negligable, whilst the cost of the prayer potions saved is negligible.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

EDIT: Wasn't lagging, but double posted. WTH?

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Personally, I opt for 4 less strength and a little more prayer due to inventory constraints. However, I would pick the fire cape over the other two capes in situations where I could use a steel titan and/or cannon due to the speed of the task.

dgs5.jpg

For the fastest XP/h, fire cape is best. The reason people don't use it is because of the gp saved on ppots by using SW/Ardy and that the time saved by the Fire cape is almost negligible.

for the cheapest gp/h sw cape is best, but the reason people dont use it is because of str bonus lost from fire cape, and the money saved by sw cape is almost negligable

a_final_name.png

it's not just about money saved by using the soulwars cape. as obtaurian said, there are places where you don't have enough inventory space. i use soulwars cape at tormented demons because i need seven or so brews (though this number varies greatly... sucks). i'd love to use ardy cape or firecape but i don't want to use super prayer pots because grinding bones sucks

fishing.gif

Having read through the first 20 or so pages of this thread, it seems fairly clear to me that the overall better option is Rapier over Longsword.

I was just wondering, though, what would work out best for me.

I'm 90 attack, 91 strength, 80 defence with Piety (Turmoil to come soon)

I have the supplies for 85 herb (so I can brew all melee extremes) and can currently already make Extreme Attacks and am a mere 176k (and a lovely 6-7m with current prices) off 84, for Extreme Strengths, too.

The main bosses I do are Gwd/TDs, but of them, the only ones I'd consider soloing are TDs, and I still duo them sometimes, too.

Despite this, I also occasionally do DKs and at the moment seriously considering getting slayer up to 85+ for charms for 88 summon and better melee stats.

I also go through phases of playing where I get so bored training skills that I just go and camp in safe PvP games for prolonged periods of time, the main two being Castle wars and Clan wars.

I couldn't care less for looks - in my opinion CLS looks awesome, but Rapier looks very good as well so doesn't have a major effect on me; as per most posters here the main thing I care about is efficiency of the weapon I choose - I don't nolife RS (I've been playing since '03 and you can happily look me up [it's iTease_You, though] if you want consolidation of this fact) and thus I just want to gain the most I can with the time I do play.

Like anyone, I do enjoy seeing myself hitting high (which would push me towards CLS) but I also want a weapon that's decent for all-round use as well.

Maul isn't a problem for me, unlike most people here I don't mind dungeoneering (probably because as a rule I only ever do it with friends, never in a team from W117), so will happily dung to 88 to get my Maul, but I don't want to bother getting both CLS AND CR, I'd just like one of the two.

I have friends with CLS, one of whom absolutely adores it, but the other who says he regrets buying it etc, so I'm really, really stuck here >.<

Any help would be much appreciated, but I'd like reasoning behind whichever sword you choose just to make things a little clearer for me.

iteaseyousig.png

83/92 Herb.

71/99 Pray.

73/89 Dung.

99 Fishing completed 17/07/2009

99 Mage completed 12/08/2010

The fact that you're going to get 88 DG for the maul means you should DEFINITELY get the rapier. Even if you were just gonna get one weapon, the rapier would still be the better option because it's the best all-around weapon (and you do a lot of different things). You'll eventually want to raise your melee stats (even if it's slowly), so the rapier would be best for doing that, too.

Basically, the rapier is best for just about everyone.

dgs5.jpg

Cheers. I had originally planned on getting the rapier, but more recently went on a boss-hunting spree where I duoed/trioed Bandos, Sara and Zam consistently across 3 days. I was using whip/claws combo for Bandos and Zam, whilst using Verac's for Sara. My mate had suggested that CLS would make life a lot easier for me and would probably leave me better equipped to do FFA Bandos with him (though he has CLS, is maxed and has Ovl/Turm, so don't think so just yet). I guess with rapier I can replace whip, but I'll keep Verac's for Sara until I get maul, 'cos apparently rapier doesn't work so well for Zily.

Should definately help me speed up metals tasks though, as they're weak to stab. 'Specially cos I now have super antifires.

iteaseyousig.png

83/92 Herb.

71/99 Pray.

73/89 Dung.

99 Fishing completed 17/07/2009

99 Mage completed 12/08/2010

I'm beginning to think that CLS is a better 2nd weapon than maul. The only thing i really use my maul for is TD's and CLS is also really good there.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

If you're planning on getting 2 weapons, rapier is an auto-win.

I'm beginning to think that CLS is a better 2nd weapon than maul. The only thing i really use my maul for is TD's and CLS is also really good there.

Thats what I was wondering too, since maul would just be used tds/gwd w/ team (Which I rarely do) and maybe PvP

Stonewall337.png

Actually, that's an interesting point, but where would you use CLS over maul and rapier?

Actually, that's an interesting point, but where would you use CLS over maul and rapier?

Personally, PvP sometimes, and soloing bandos/sara. Maybe TDs too.

Stonewall337.png

That's everywhere I use CLS, and it works for me. I especially like it at TD's, even if Maul/Rapier has been proven to be better. Maybe I'm just ignorant?

2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist

Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

With 99 summoning and divine I would surely use CLS over maul in any MHing situation.

Well I'm not sure whether or not titan is useful for every boss, even with divine. Maybe after yak dies.

Stonewall337.png

With 99 summoning and divine I would surely use CLS over maul in any MHing situation.

Well I'm not sure whether or not titan is useful for every boss, even with divine. Maybe after yak dies.

The summoning was just a qualifier so I could include TDs. My point was that I probably won't be getting a maul.

That's everywhere I use CLS, and it works for me. I especially like it at TD's, even if Maul/Rapier has been proven to be better. Maybe I'm just ignorant?

I don't think rapier or maul has been proven to be better at tds.

But I haven't been impressed with chaotic rapier at tds.

I prefer Cmaul over crapier at tds.

But if i had CLS i would probably use CLs over cmaul.Maybe.

*I don't have a CLS

So basically, CR + CLS maybe > CR + CM?

That's really interesting. I'm willing to get a Chaotic Rapier (although I need another 150k tokens), so I'm willing to try out that combo.

Granted, however, that I rarely do anything PvP.

That's really interesting. I'm willing to get a Chaotic Rapier (although I need another 150k tokens), so I'm willing to try out that combo.

Maybe if you have a divine. A really strong point of rapier is using it with a defender, which makes it better at most place in the game, however, if you need the defense really bad, divine makes CLS more worthwhile. I can't accurately predict how many people on this thread have a divine, but i'm guessing not many.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Maybe if you have a divine. A really strong point of rapier is using it with a defender, which makes it better at most place in the game, however, if you need the defense really bad, divine makes CLS more worthwhile. I can't accurately predict how many people on this thread have a divine, but i'm guessing not many.

So only with divine?

Although I have to wonder, if someone can get 2 chaotic weapons, that means he can kill frost dragons. At that point, is it really worth debating about boss monsters, since frost dragons average more gp/hr?

Having read through the first 20 or so pages of this thread, it seems fairly clear to me that the overall better option is Rapier over Longsword.

I was just wondering, though, what would work out best for me.

I'm 90 attack, 91 strength, 80 defence with Piety (Turmoil to come soon)

I have the supplies for 85 herb (so I can brew all melee extremes) and can currently already make Extreme Attacks and am a mere 176k (and a lovely 6-7m with current prices) off 84, for Extreme Strengths, too.

The main bosses I do are Gwd/TDs, but of them, the only ones I'd consider soloing are TDs, and I still duo them sometimes, too.

Despite this, I also occasionally do DKs and at the moment seriously considering getting slayer up to 85+ for charms for 88 summon and better melee stats.

I also go through phases of playing where I get so bored training skills that I just go and camp in safe PvP games for prolonged periods of time, the main two being Castle wars and Clan wars.

I couldn't care less for looks - in my opinion CLS looks awesome, but Rapier looks very good as well so doesn't have a major effect on me; as per most posters here the main thing I care about is efficiency of the weapon I choose - I don't nolife RS (I've been playing since '03 and you can happily look me up [it's iTease_You, though] if you want consolidation of this fact) and thus I just want to gain the most I can with the time I do play.

Like anyone, I do enjoy seeing myself hitting high (which would push me towards CLS) but I also want a weapon that's decent for all-round use as well.

Maul isn't a problem for me, unlike most people here I don't mind dungeoneering (probably because as a rule I only ever do it with friends, never in a team from W117), so will happily dung to 88 to get my Maul, but I don't want to bother getting both CLS AND CR, I'd just like one of the two.

I have friends with CLS, one of whom absolutely adores it, but the other who says he regrets buying it etc, so I'm really, really stuck here >.<

Any help would be much appreciated, but I'd like reasoning behind whichever sword you choose just to make things a little clearer for me.

Go with the rapier.

I pretty much do everything you posted, like clan wars, slayer, gwd, etc.. and I have a rapier, and it's wonderful for all of those things. The rapier is an all-around awesome weapon, and its defiantly worth getting.. And, if you plan on getting the maul, then there's not much of a use for a cls anyways.

Hi if you're reading this you are amazing and I love you.

Maybe they'll release a bugless update for April Fools. That'd sure be a joke

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]Congrats, you reached the end!

Now go outside![/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]