140,228 people currently playing online worldwide!

Leoo

I believe if Jagex ever got some actual competition and there was an MMO that was accessible as RS, we would see the numbers go into the 70-90k's. However, because Runescape is really the only game of its kind and a big monopoly in the browser base MMO field there is no other game for people to go to.

I agree with this completely.

That is the whole point of Runescape and business in general. You don't make a game that has already been done 100 times.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I believe if Jagex ever got some actual competition and there was an MMO that was accessible as RS, we would see the numbers go into the 70-90k's. However, because Runescape is really the only game of its kind and a big monopoly in the browser base MMO field there is no other game for people to go to.

That is the whole point of Runescape and business in general. You don't make a game that has already been done 100 times.

I disagree that business in general is like that. Look at call of duty- its basically the same game in different times/places and with different enemies. Look at all of the boy bands from the 90's- again they were all the same and they made millions. Look at McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendie's. Its so much cheaper to take an existing product and make it seem different than to make a brand new one.

I also feel like Runescape started off completely different than other MMORPG's, mainly WOW, and is slowly becoming more like the others. Not that its the same, but it seems like Runescape has been losing what makes it unique and that the newer updates are very WOW like.

On Topic: Do people in the lobby contribute to the # of people online? Because if they do then I would think that 140k would be low for the summer.

Soldin_911.png

There is always a peak starting sharply in the beginning of June and ending around August and another peak starting from December and ending between January and [whenever summer holidays end in the southern hemisphere].

nothing compared to 2007 summer which had over 200k online.

That was when RS was at its prime. (Gameplay and players)

Yes, players like Xu Guan127, a level 3 skiller who I met one day when he was selling 900k yew logs at 150 each in world 1 Varrock. I still wish he would log back in so we 2007 players could have a chat without all the RSC vets pestering us with constant reminiscing of cracker drops, the Sabres and dwarf invasions.

The things making sure RS doesn't have challengers are the huge investments required in making and the difficulty of marketing such games.

Rao.png

Way too many barriers to entry. Just in server cost, advertising cost, and development cost alone you'd need a multimillion dollar company prepared to suffer through at least a year of losses before tiny amount of profits starts coming in. WoW is still an indirect competitor so whoever tries to go against RS/WoW will have to deal with 2 giants. It's like if someone tries to join in the Apple v Microsoft war. Too many cons for anyone to consider joining in.

120dgl.jpg

Let's just say Jagex got rid of at least half of their player base back in 2007.

Let's just say you have no idea what you're talking about and pulled that figure out of your ass.

Try to lighten up when someone posts an obvious sarcastic post. Makes you look like you're trying to pose as someone who is intelligent.

By the way you should look at the stats that Mil posted. I exaggerated 1/3 more than what is true, if those stats can be taken as correct. So I don't know where you get off in saying that I 'pulled that figure out of [my] ass'. Do you have a hate complex or something?

By the way you should look at the stats that Mil posted. I exaggerated 1/3 more than what is true, if those stats can be taken as correct. So I don't know where you get off in saying that I 'pulled that figure out of [my] ass'. Do you have a hate complex or something?

And if people in lobby are counted, you might even have been underestimating them. :wink:

Kinda seems to me that a lot of people actually do...

And I agree with Omali. Skate pulled that number out of his ass.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Try to lighten up when someone posts an obvious sarcastic post. Makes you look like you're trying to pose as someone who is intelligent.

Lrn2sarcasm over the internet, and consider being less butthurt when someone mistakes "let's just say they lost at least half of their subscribers" with "let's just say they lost at least half of their subscribers" (only one of those two is sarcastic).

No, just a fascination with your ass and why it's printing out numbers.

Mil's chart still doesn't account for how many players were bots, and your evidence doesn't stand up to Jagex's financial reports showing continued growth year after year, including a growth of over ten million pounds in subscriptions from 2007-2009. So yes, pulled out of your ass.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I remember plenty of 200k+ days but I believe those were auto/bot influenced quite a bit.

Yeah, but I'm sure it was also influenced a bit more from people leaving. I don't think there was about 100,000 bots playing at once, just saying. I think it's just that there's just a "greying" of the RuneScape population meaning less new people coming in with the average player growing older causing a gradual decline in players.

But back on topic. Basically the reason is because of summer vacation. More people have time to play, therefore you'll see an increase in players.

j0xPu5R.png

Sucks to think that a few years back (2005ish?) there was up to 290k people playing at any given time (i think, maybe 240k). Runescape is dying :(

290k in 2005? Haha, no. As for Runescape "dying" once again real figures overrule trolling.

0809-jagex_financial_overview.png

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Yeah I think its funny people say the game is going downhill and its going to die when the numbers show that it's actually doing better than its supposed "peak" years. I for one never liked the wilderness the only thing I liked was free trade and I got used to having to deal with price manipulators instead of item switchers and trade scammer's from the free trade period.

Low_C.png

The numbers are going up because bots are coming back.

True story.

Nu'uh. It's because Jagex is working with Haliburton to inflate the numbers. It's clear conspiracy.

Yeah I think its funny people say the game is going downhill and its going to die when the numbers show that it's actually doing better than its supposed "peak" years. I for one never liked the wilderness the only thing I liked was free trade and I got used to having to deal with price manipulators instead of item switchers and trade scammer's from the free trade period.

People like to talk about "peak" years when they have nothing of substance to talk about. It's the old mechanic where people formulate their own conclusions and any evidence to the contrary is clearly biased and forged.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

In the 'Glory Days' I went on a bot hunt at the willows south of Port Sarim and wrote down all the bots names in a word doccument to copy and paste to Jagex. I found between 150 and 200 bots just in that one location. So assuming 200 bots on the world and 1500 players per world, that gives 13% of online accounts which were bots (very rough number, but I can believe it).

So assuming that the max number of people online this year is 200k (Mil's chart), we can assume that if there was the same ratio of bots, then we would be at 225k players which is very close to the normal high points in 2007. So pretty much, we have nearly the same number of legit players online now as 2007.

In the 'Glory Days' I went on a bot hunt at the willows south of Port Sarim and wrote down all the bots names in a word doccument to copy and paste to Jagex. I found between 150 and 200 bots just in that one location. So assuming 200 bots on the world and 1500 players per world, that gives 13% of online accounts which were bots (very rough number, but I can believe it).

So assuming that the max number of people online this year is 200k (Mil's chart), we can assume that if there was the same ratio of bots, then we would be at 225k players which is very close to the normal high points in 2007. So pretty much, we have nearly the same number of legit players online now as 2007.

That means jamflex isn't doing a good job of recruiting 10 year olds. <_<

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

The online record is 190,810 set on Mar 14 2010. - runescript

would there be any reason for that? or just chance?

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I remember when i first started it playing, it was rare to see over 100,000 people playing.

Yeah i know, the first couple of years when i started playing there was at least 100k on at all times

Omg-1.jpg

Pk_i_n_y_o_u.png

Let's just say Jagex got rid of at least half of their player base back in 2007.

Let's just say you have no idea what you're talking about and pulled that figure out of your ass.

So, I get the impression that instead of pulling the number "out of your ass," as it were, your are defending your false statement by....saying you KNEW it was a false, exaggerated statement....?

Incidentally, have you ever heard of the sarc-marc? It's a new punctuation to go a long with question marks, exclamation marks, etc, to use when you make sarcastic statements so people KNOW that' it's a sarcastic statement.

The numbers are going up because bots are coming back.

True story.

Nu'uh. It's because Jagex is working with Haliburton to inflate the numbers. It's clear conspiracy.

People like to talk about "peak" years when they have nothing of substance to talk about. It's the old mechanic where people formulate their own conclusions and any evidence to the contrary is clearly biased and forged.

That's called Nostalgia. People remember the good things about the past, forget the bad things about the past. Decide past is better.

Humans also often have a nasty habit of coming up with conclusion first and evidence second. Hence why people make stuff up. I actually read a study about that, lol.

Or maybe I'm just making the study up o.O

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.