Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

The Observer

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really like the movie as much as I'd want to.

Issues I have with it include:

[spoiler=several spoilers]Bellatrix Lestrange's death scene. Why did she explode?

Wormtail simply vanishing between movies. Did Voldemort kill him? Did Dobby kill him? I mean, him along with Snape are the ones who got Harry into all that trouble. Shouldn't they have given him a proper send-off like the book did?

Lupin and Tonks their son also comes out of nowhere. True, they tried to announce it in Part 1 before they got cut off by Mad-Eye, but the next and only time he's mentioned is when Harry's about to die. Lupin's scenes at Grimmauld Place 12 and Shell Cottage shouldn't have been cut in my opinion. Those were emotionally strong scenes.

Fred's death scene was cut. I wanted to cry with it.

Harry didn't even try to fix the wand which has served him for almost 7 years.

I also think the movie tried to be funny at times it shouldn't. For instance: people just died and we get to see Filch trying to clean up the mess.

Maybe I just expected too much of it...

priest_wiz.png

[hide] I'm annoyed that Harry didn't repair his original wand at the end like he should have in the book. If you think about it, we never really saw the true potential of the Elder Wand in it's master's hand in the films.

Bellatrix shouldn't have exploded, it looked more Doctor Who than Harry Potter. Combat magic in Harry Potter is supposed to cut and explode and maim. Short of Avada Kedavra, it doesn't do clean kills. It's brutal and terrible. That's pretty much one of the biggest messages of that whole film, and Bellatrix's death went against that.[/hide]

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I almost feel that some of the deaths were done that way purposely just to keep the film rated PG-13. Kind of disappointing but it wasn't that huge of a deal to me compared to a few of the other things mentioned above that were cut.

[spoiler=several spoilers]Bellatrix Lestrange's death scene. Why did she explode?

Wormtail simply vanishing between movies. Did Voldemort kill him? Did Dobby kill him? I mean, him along with Snape are the ones who got Harry into all that trouble. Shouldn't they have given him a proper send-off like the book did?

Lupin and Tonks their son also comes out of nowhere. True, they tried to announce it in Part 1 before they got cut off by Mad-Eye, but the next and only time he's mentioned is when Harry's about to die. Lupin's scenes at Grimmauld Place 12 and Shell Cottage shouldn't have been cut in my opinion. Those were emotionally strong scenes.

I also think the movie tried to be funny at times it shouldn't. For instance: people just died and we get to see Filch trying to clean up the mess.

[hide]I definitely agree with your points, especially the one about Fred. I really don't feel like that was something that could be skipped over. We spent 6 movies (and books obviously) getting attached to Fred and then we didn't even get to see him die.

I honestly have never liked Filch in the movies. In every single one they try to give him funny parts (especially in #5) but I always thought it came off as stupid and waaaay too cheesy. Almost as if it was intended for 10 year olds.[/hide]

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Just got back from seeing it, it was good but not the best. I felt the battle scenes were really poorly done, especially Harry vs Voldemort but then again the battle scenes in HP have never been brilliant. I agree with people about the deaths as well, it was kind of like "while you've been watching Harry, Ron and Hermione run around the following main characters are now dead". It was quite cheesy in places too.

Some parts of the film were really well done though, Snape's memories and Harry in the Forbidden Forest (the most emotional part of the film for me personally). Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith were incredible in this film too, although neither said all that much.

All in all a pretty good and enjoyable film, though I preferred the last one.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Did anybody else feel sorry for Voldemort when he was dying? I feel like they were trying to get the audience to sympathize with him...

When Ron and Hermione kissed, the audience went nuts. When Bellatrix died, the audience cheered. When Voldemort died, the audience was silent.

When Nagini died and Harry and Voldemort paused their duel, Voldemort had a tear in his eye as he started casting again.

Normally when a major villain dies in film or a tv series, they're livid/shocked/terrified as they die. Voldemort just looked... sad.

The music was triumphant/dramatic once Harry caught the elder wand, but as soon as it showed Voldemort dying, the music was very solemn.

It kind of begs the question if sociopaths deserved to be sympathized for, despite their crimes. How sad would it be not to be capable of loving or feeling empathy for another human being?

77yLQy8.png

Did anybody else feel sorry for Voldemort when he was dying? I feel like they were trying to get the audience to sympathize with him...

When Ron and Hermione kissed, the audience went nuts. When Bellatrix died, the audience cheered. When Voldemort died, the audience was silent.

When Nagini died and Harry and Voldemort paused their duel, Voldemort had a tear in his eye as he started casting again.

Normally when a major villain dies in film or a tv series, they're livid/shocked/terrified as they die. Voldemort just looked... sad.

The music was triumphant/dramatic once Harry caught the elder wand, but as soon as it showed Voldemort dying, the music was very solemn.

It kind of begs the question if sociopaths deserved to be sympathized for, despite their crimes. How sad would it be not to be capable of loving or feeling empathy for another human being?

that's more of a reason why the films pale in comparison to the book. in the book, you feel nothing but contempt for voldemort. in voldemort's world, every muggle-born wizard was going to die. the films failed to show just how sinister voldemort could be. anyone who watched the movies without reading the books would scratch their head wondering "why the hell is this voldemort guy doing these things anyway?"

I haven't seen either Parts of the Deathly Hallows, but hopefully I will sometime next week.

I know a girl who hasn't gone out for a week and a half because she is so upset that it has ended. She's reading all the books, and the only time she has gone out is too the see that last movie again, to make it worse. :mellow: I mean, I can sympathise with her that it sucks that it has ended, but she's taken it too far.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Saw this movie the other day. It was good. I used to be pretty into the series, I think I stopped reading halfway through the last book though so I wasn't too captivated. But it was entertaining.

[hide]

After they jump off the dragon and into the lake:

-Harry takes off his wet shirt, puts on dry shirt

-Ron takes off his wet shirt, puts on dry shirt

-Every eye is glued to Hermione

-Hear a few slight creaking noises as people lean forward

-She puts a dry shirt over her wet shirt

-Audible sigh of disappointment from somewhere in the audience

[/hide]

That sigh was me :|

I didn't think the [hide=Potential Spoiler? Not really, but may as well hide it]Prince's tale[/hide] was that good. It wasn't as sad as people made it out to be.

[hide]

[/hide]

I didn't think the [hide=Potential Spoiler? Not really, but may as well hide it]Prince's tale[/hide] was that good. It wasn't as sad as people made it out to be.

Hah, I was the "sigh" in my group seeing it, sitting in between 2 girls. They both just shook their heads.

[hide]I definitely agree with your points, especially the one about Fred. I really don't feel like that was something that could be skipped over. We spent 6 movies (and books obviously) getting attached to Fred and then we didn't even get to see him die.

I honestly have never liked Filch in the movies. In every single one they try to give him funny parts (especially in #5) but I always thought it came off as stupid and waaaay too cheesy. Almost as if it was intended for 10 year olds.[/hide]

Yeah I agree with all of these points.

[hide]

[/hide]

I didn't sigh, but I was thinking the same thing.

rosssigfinal.jpg

I think the guy who did Voldemort's voice tried much too hard. It came out really... constipated? I don't know a word for it other than that, sorry :rolleyes:

And the acting at Shell Cottage seemed kind of unnatural. Other than that, I'm a huge potter fan, so, naturally, I loved it

(Also, everything Misterknowitall said. As well as George's regrowth of ear cartilage o.O)

Tec106.png

The fact that nobody understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

I think the guy who did Voldemort's voice tried much too hard. It came out really... constipated? I don't know a word for it other than that, sorry :rolleyes:

And the acting at Shell Cottage seemed kind of unnatural. Other than that, I'm a huge potter fan, so, naturally, I loved it

(Also, everything Misterknowitall said. As well as George's regrowth of ear cartilage o.O)

I noticed that the second time I watched it! Also:

Harry magically changed clothes during the "sacking of Snape" scene. Was pretty funny when I noticed.

I do believe Voldemort has improved since the Goblet of Fire.

priest_wiz.png