Inception

Millard

It was everything and anything I expected it to be. The trick to understanding Nolan's flims is not to let yourself get caught up in them

Isn't that the fun in seeing a movie?

Yeah, for movies that have something profound to say. If you notice, you didn't learn anything new from this; you didn't take away anything solid or real. Just that Nolan can create a shallow, very followable plot and then when the end comes, he thinks it's so mind-blowing that he can predict what you're going to think. Like, whoahhhh, man, sooo far out. What a gimic.

Just got back from seeing it.

I think he left the top spinning because throughout the movie one of the major question that is raised is, "Is Cobb mentally stable? Or has he been been consumed by his dreams?" if the top fell it would ruin any repeat viewing as we would know the truth behind the whole film.

So, kind of like Shutter Island's ending...he chooses to not know and not care whether or not what he is seeing is his reality.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from seeing it.

I think he left the top spinning because throughout the movie one of the major question that is raised is, "Is Cobb mentally stable? Or has he been been consumed by his dreams?" if the top fell it would ruin any repeat viewing as we would know the truth behind the whole film.

So, kind of like Shutter Island's ending...he chooses to not know and not care whether or not what he is seeing is his reality.

Thats one way to see it since Cobb's doesn't actually wait for the top to tumble or not. What makes Inception a bit different from Shutter Island is that it is Christopher Nolan who doesn't want us to know the fate of the top more then it is Cobb's not wanting to know.

tFtfA.jpg

Gonna go see it today since Saru said it was good and since those review sites actually rated it good unlike most of the movies they totally [cabbage] on.

Low_C.png

That [cabbage] was mind-blowing.

You'll definitely be thinking like mad once you leave the theater.

Even I was wondering if perhaps I was in a dream as I was walking through the parking lot. It was so DEEP.

don't read the hidden stuff for spoilers

[hide]pink, do you think in the end that he was in real life or stuck in a dream? before the camera cut, it looked like the spinning top was about to fall (it was wobbling). i think that he was in real life, but my friend whom i saw it with said he was dreaming. i really hope it was real. as the camera was looking at the top, i was like "please, FALL DOWN!"[/hide]

yeah, it was wobbling so it definitely looked like it was gonna fall. I think they had to make it wobble a little because otherwise it wouldn't make sense if they cut it while it was still spinning straight up and down

hard to say tho :mellow:

[hide]the movie leaves you wanting him to be in reality; he's been through so much and he just came to terms with his wife's death, and it looked like everything was shaping up. i had a dream that on the DvD release of it, the movie runs :10 sec longer and shows the top falling over, signaling that dom is in reality. let's hope that happens.[/hide]

[spoiler=ending]It was a dream I think. Think about this, you had to be woken up per level at a time. DiCaprio went straight from the subconscious to the airplane all at once. AND he drowned in the truck in the 1st level of the dream, so he should be stuck in limbo. However, it may be real because it did wobble, and the one in the dream had a slower much more surreal perfect spin. Like it was an automated machine, this looks like it was spun by a human. Also I have a theory that since it is after all his *mind* that once his wife Mal died, it kind of broke the rules and jolted him to reality. Because that world was falling apart, and it was in the subconscious, he couldn't have created a world out of the subconscious, it was doomed.

I loved this movie more than I ever thought I would.

[spoiler=question]

Did the time thing make sense? The way I thought they explained it was it would take a total of 10 years for them to plant the seed? They only spent 1-2 days top in the dream. And thats a huge stretch.

[hide]i was under the impression that when the timer ran out on the plane, he would've woken up even if he was X levels down[/hide]

and to #2

[hide]the time thing was how much time they had at each level. they had to rush because, like explained by Rahila, if they didnt get out of level 3 and back to level 2 then back to level 1, they wouldnt have survived because in level 1 they were about to plunge into water. if they didnt wake up from the level 2 dream to get back to level 1, they wouldve drowned. if level 1 wasnt filled with defenses, they wouldve taken more time. but that wouldve been boring :P [/hide]

i think by this sunday (6 days from now), we can stop using spoiler tags.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

^^ well a lot of people I know wait til after the weekend to go see it, since its less crowded.

if it wasn't so long I'd go see it again. Though it wasn't as deep as people make it out to be, it was definitely enjoyable. It was an action flick with a tint of intelligence.

I also saw momento today. (Directed by Nolan) not really my cup of tea. It was too simple a story once you got to the end.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

^^ well a lot of people I know wait til after the weekend to go see it, since its less crowded.

if it wasn't so long I'd go see it again. Though it wasn't as deep as people make it out to be, it was definitely enjoyable. It was an action flick with a tint of intelligence.

I also saw momento today. (Directed by Nolan) not really my cup of tea. It was too simple a story once you got to the end.

That's the best movie he's made. It was simple and didn't try to offer too much.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

No I know. I think the reason I dislike is because my brother saw it before me and said "you will be confused for days as to what happened" etc etc yada yada. But I mean yea it was simple, and I was hoping for it to be complicated.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

Very good movie, but I thought it could have been better. It's a concept I've wanted to see in film for ages, but I think it could have stood to be a bit... weirder.

[hide] The combat was pretty much all guns and fisticuffs like it was the Matrix, and left me wondering why, if they're in a dream, they didn't think of something a bit more... imaginative. The dream sequences certainly had that surreal aspect to them, but nothing near on the level of some of my dreams I remember at the time as feeling so real as to be indistinguishable from reality... until I wake up and go WTF o.O

As for the ending, there's pretty much no question in my mind that he was really dreaming. Think about it. He has been chased by these corporations for what the plot seems to imply has been years, and when he reunites with his children at the end, they are EXACTLY the same as in his memories. Same with his house. Of course he dosen't question why this is, because as he himself said, "When you're in a dream, everything seems so real. It's only when you wake up that you realize that something was strange."

[/hide]

Very good movie, but I thought it could have been better. It's a concept I've wanted to see in film for ages, but I think it could have stood to be a bit... weirder.

[hide] The combat was pretty much all guns and fisticuffs like it was the Matrix, and left me wondering why, if they're in a dream, they didn't think of something a bit more... imaginative. The dream sequences certainly had that surreal aspect to them, but nothing near on the level of some of my dreams I remember at the time as feeling so real as to be indistinguishable from reality... until I wake up and go WTF o.O

As for the ending, there's pretty much no question in my mind that he was really dreaming. Think about it. He has been chased by these corporations for what the plot seems to imply has been years, and when he reunites with his children at the end, they are EXACTLY the same as in his memories. Same with his house. Of course he dosen't question why this is, because as he himself said, "When you're in a dream, everything seems so real. It's only when you wake up that you realize that something was strange."

[/hide]

The kids being the same age at the end is the only bit that threw me and they are in the same position as his memory. His house remaining the exact same isn't anything alarming but we don't know exactly how long he has been on the run so as far as we know it could have only been a few months.

tFtfA.jpg

Trying to see this on Saturday with a few bros.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Wow, that's a very interesting article. A very interesting perspective that honestly makes sense.

My roommates and I plan to go see it again this weekend. Should be fun, hopefully I won't be sitting in the 4th row again. :wall:

tFtfA.jpg

That link makes perfect sense. And not to bs, but I kinda thought that the same. Well, I thought the Mombasa part was a dream cuz of the way the buildings intersected. And I thought the top part when it was falling might be a dream, because Dicaprio said to Ellen Page "Don't let people touch your totem." Well Mal owned the Totem Cobb used for a long time, maybe she was controlling it to make him think hes awake.

Going to see this tonight with some mates. My Facebook news feed has been full with people saying how good this film is over the past few days or so. We'll see.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I loved the movie, I stopped at a green light on the way home because my mind was thinking of the ending of the movie lol.

haha....my aunt was driving me and my cousin home after watching the movie and she merged lanes without checking her blind spot and almost killed us. all because she was thinking too hard about the movie :P

I guess they didn't think it was confusing enough. #-o

it wasnt THAT confusing....you just have to keep track of whats happening in each level of the dream

and i choose to not take that article's POV, though it did point out logical things. i'll show it to my friend, see what he thinks

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Its the interesting movie ..

I watched the Trailer of this Film "Inception " in this site http://www.mtjunkie.org/ then i watched it in theater ..

The story sounds very interesting & cinematography is cool and pleasant....

Director has took fantastic film & He has given a movie that has his stamp in the form of an Thrilling and engrossing screenplay ..

Its the best movie that ever i watched ...

Saw it earlier tonight, awesome film. Brilliant concept as well.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction