One question

I4prez

This is pretty irrelevant, and I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum, but approximately how many square miles does Gielinor take up? And how many if you use what people write in stories, such as Lumbridge and Varrock being a few days' travel apart?

http://forum.tip.it/topic/173173-engineer-skill-and-railroads/<<Click! I support! Click!

.-- .... -.-- .- .-. . -.-- --- ..- .-. . .- -.. .. -. --. - .... .. ... ..--..

Well, realistically the distance between the two cities would probably be like 3-5 days. However, seeing as the actual trip takes some 5-10 minutes...

I can't believe there is actually a theory on this...

kWMd.gifI0SK.gifSC6s.gifYI0G.gif

If you click on them they hatch or grow up faster and look awesomer!!!

87.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot. If you're one of the 42% of statistics that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig. In addition, 126.324% of the previous statement does not make sense.

Well, realistically the distance between the two cities would probably be like 3-5 days. However, seeing as the actual trip takes some 5-10 minutes...

You dont know how fast the time goes as there is no in game clock, nor there is day and night.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Cities3-5 days walking from each other?

IN the medieval time there were lots of smaller and bigger "grow points". Cities like paris, berlin & amsterdam were -during the middle ages- actually multiple smaller towns next to each other. I would say that between "major" cities there used to be around a 40 km distance.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I would think by just walking you can go about 4 miles per hour and since nothing takes that long to walk to, all of runescape sits on a 2 by 2 square miles of land and water. I guess you can pretend its bigger but if you put yourself into the game with a off road truck you very quickly roam around and see everything there is to see in a day.

If you used a realistic walking speed as your base (Lets say 4 mph, which would make the running speed 8 mph) you could easily find what the "actual" in-game distance between Lumbridge and Varrock. It takes almost exactly 60 seconds to run from the entrance of Lumbridge castle to the entrance of Varrock. That would make them about .13 miles apart, or 215 meters, which is obviously totally unrealistic. If the two cities were a more realistic distance apart, say 20 miles, then you're character would have to be moving at about 1200 mph (Not to mention he would be a giant).

I guess for the sake of trying to get a more realistic number we could see how far apart the two cities if our character could run as fast as Usain Bolt, even over a distance. The running speed would then be about 23.5 miles per hour and the distance between the two cities would be .39 miles or about 630 meters. Still unrealistically close, even if our character could travel at the sprinting speed of the world's fastest man.

The in-game distance and speed will never be something realistically equivalent to the real world, unless you bring in a scale theory like above. However, it's probably easiest to just accept that it's a game and isn't held to the same standards of reality.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Remember the space compression, we certainly aren't seeing housing for tens of thousands of people in each of those cities. We just get shown the interesting stuff. Twenty miles over the fairway is considered a good walking distance for a day it seems, but we probably aren't even seeing these small towns.

Draynor village is a large town, Draynor maner looming over it and lands the count would preside over.

Port Sarim probably also has shipyards, dry docks, inns, housing all over the place.

Taverley is wedged between a wall and a mountain, surely there's at least some space on either side for it.

Rimmington... well, it was a small town, it looked like, but then it goes and gets a customs office? So we aren't sure any way how that goes.

Things like that abound, and I'd suspect that on the way from Seers' Village to Ardrouge, you'd be staying at an Inn at Hemenster, maybe spending a night in the woods and laying over at a farmhouse as well.

Average human male is closer to 5'9" but yeah, close enough. And maybe our characters actually are giants. Weirder things have happened in Runescape :lol:

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

MMORPG's can't have realistic distances...

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

When it comes to IRL-time and rs-time, ive always just imagined that we as players see everything in rs on fast-forward. It normally takes hours to do a lot of the activities we do in rs, such as smithing a sword or fletching a bow. But, if we assume that all of it is just sped up for the sake of our enjoyment, it makes perfect sense that NPCs who live in the world and experience it at its normal speed, spend 3-5 days going from lumbridge to varrock.

Tribal-wars used to have almost realistic distances :)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Maybe JaGEx could make a massive overhaul for the game engines? :thumbsup: Maybe then we'd have our precious horses (lv 43 summoning, perhaps?)

http://forum.tip.it/topic/173173-engineer-skill-and-railroads/<<Click! I support! Click!

Maybe JaGEx could make a massive overhaul for the game engines? :thumbsup: Maybe then we'd have our precious horses (lv 43 summoning, perhaps?)

They already have, and recently too. Let me look up the news post. EDIT: Can't be bothered to look for it after searching through 20 pages. XD It was upgraded to something like RuneTek5.

hzvjpwS.gif

They already have, and recently too. Let me look up the news post. EDIT: Can't be bothered to look for it after searching through 20 pages. XD It was upgraded to something like RuneTek5.

No, no, no, I meant ANOTHER overhaul, making Gielinor as big as it should be, instead of 5 sq. miles.

And still with the horses.

sort of a side topic, if rs had a distance meshurement, what would it be?

100 squeres = 1 rs mile/km?

use the clue cordenits thingy?

anyway, most npc's talk about a long few days travel if thay talk about it (i think i remember an npc in south lumbrige that says he walked from faldor) clameing to of taken weeks even!

but to do some npc reletive testing, you gota test with level 1 ajility, an most of said npc's are not adventures and thus would not of trained there skills much.

also, its safe to say thay would be carrying much of there stuff with them (do non-adventures have banks?), if nuthing else a hatchet and tinder box to keep warm over the next few nights.

fair?

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

I think they should just make it 100x bigger and leave it at that. Goes from measley 5sq miles to wham 500 square miles.

It'd make teleports a lot more useful, too. And since people would be using teles instead of walking, they could make it so every spell uses 10x the runes. Bwahahahaha! My evil brain at work!

Without using a scale, I would say it's a couple days away.

I'm thinking your character could rest 1 night at the chicken farm, then another night near the forests south of varrock. And get to Varrock east gate by the 3rd afternoon.

Staurolite.png

I dunno. WoW can make you travel pretty far sometimes and it takes forever, especially on foot.

Well, in some of their developer comentary, it wasn't something like the current 20 mile long continents, but more like 200, and they decided it wasn't really that much fun, and cut it down even farther in scale.

One of the features that I like about Runescape is that everything is small and condensed. Not a lot of wasted space on the map, travel times are short, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------