Does your $5 loyaly membership keep you from quiting Runescape?

noble_aloof

hey. i thought this would be a good topic for discussion, though quite overdue. Basically, as most of you know, when jagex increased the price of membership quite some time ago, they kept the rate at a fixed $5 (low end) for "loyal" customers who had been with them prior to the update. Has your loyalty rate ever stopped you from clicking "cancel membership"? It has for me, but in an odd way. I myself, like many other kids in america, get my mom to pay for my membership. she has been paying for it for.. at least 3 years on this account. For some reason though, whenever i feel like i'm finally done with this game i can't get the guts to cancel it. For one thing, i'd feel like an [wagon] asking my mom for her credit card if i ever wanted to start playing again, even on a whim. plus the extra $11.40 per year 'saved' by not canceling would also add up.

As i just continually outgrow runescape i think that from a rational standpoint, actually canceling the membership would be the best for me. every one month that i didn't actually pay for runescape would compensate 5 months of the new price.

has this affected anyone else's descision to quit?

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry if its common knowledge, but how?

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

My bank recently got bought, and the new bank doesn't allow gaming transactions on their cards, for some reason. Anyways, this happend about 4 months ago, and this month, they declined payment of rs. My membership ended, but there is like a 10 day grace period where jagex keeps trying to bill your card. So I kept my 5 dollar a month bill by using a different card, and switched banks a few days later. This new bank actually allows me to use my card to buy things I want to buy. :D

pere_grin.png

sorry if its common knowledge, but how?

He probably buys illegally acquired membership pins

on topic: Always paid using Ultimate Game Card (or occasionally RS membership card) so I never had the lower rate

I went through a short time where I didn't pay the membership fee, but it was solely because of school work. Once things quietened down, I re-subbed. Not a problem, it's only a small amount extra ;)

- Speedyshel

Website Updates and Corrections

c15800d76c.png

*..It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not..*

funnily, i have the "loyal" rate on my pure, but not my original account since i primarily play my newer account.

i figure ill just keep paying per month even though i rarely play anymore, its not really an issue for me.

ive spent close to fifty dollars on three other accounts to change names so that was much more of a money drain :-P

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

I dropped my loyalty rate a year or so ago. I just resub whenever I have that occasional bout of interest (such as when Dungeoneering came out).

Jagex's terrible game design ensures that I dont stay subbed for long though, so bless their hearts :rolleyes: ("You must click that tree for 50 hours before you can access that quest!")

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've taken a few occasional breaks. the longest i have been without subbing was around 10-12 days when i finally wanted to subscribe again.

Still paying that special 5 dollar price. lucky me.

I don't think the extra few quarters is really that much of a difference. If I can pay $5, I can pay 6, or $7. I would only stop playing if it reached the same price as WoW, or even $10 for that matter. I pay $22 a month due to WoW and RS, but I think when the price of both of those subscriptions gets close to or reaches $30, I'm out.

Man, I'm so proud of all these kool kids that come here to tell me how terrible this game is when we're on a FREAKING FANSITE.

You're right, a fansite obligates you to not criticize a game. :roll:

Jagex's terrible game design

Man, I'm so proud of all these kool kids that come here to tell me how terrible this game is when we're on a FREAKING FANSITE.

You're right, a fansite obligates you to not criticize a game. :roll:

Presumably one would not be a FAN of a game with a "terrible game design". Just the fact that we are all on this website says the converse of that, that the game is at least enjoyable.

EDIT: "Retired" players are out of touch with the current runescape and have little understanding of today's game. They only remember the game as of retirement. So I always take criticism from players such as yourself with a grain of salt.

There are parts of this forum that are not RuneScape related, such as Off-Topic and Forum Games. I know many people that quit the game due to issues with it, and still hang out around here simply for the community and not because they are involved in the game.

There are parts of this forum that are not RuneScape related, such as Off-Topic and Forum Games. I know many people that quit the game due to issues with it, and still hang out around here simply for the community and not because they are involved in the game.

One day, we didn't wake up and say, "Hey, runescape sucks, but I bet their fansite is a great place!" First came the game, then came the fansite. Once one gets tired of the game, they may stick around.

One day, we didn't wake up and say, "Hey, runescape sucks, but I bet their fansite is a great place!" First came the game, then came the fansite. Once one gets tired of the game, they may stick around.

I never implied that to begin with. I said people quit, and some stay around here.

Go back into your cave troll

Oh, the irony.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Nope. I've paid, and I've cancelled on multiple occasions when i feel like not playing. Take now for instance. I've just cancelled my membership (still have 10 days), although it's because I'm moving and don't want to pay because I can't play during the move until I get settled, the points still valid...ish...

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Guys. Topic... on... please? :P

Well I've definitely not maintained subscription. When I first played I paid via text which cost like £6, almost twice the amount of a debit card. When I got older and got my own card I was paying £3.25 iirc. Then I had to cancel for a month in October of last year since my internet was disconnected. I'm now paying £3.50 and I can't say I'm too fussed.

Having the membership makes me feel REQUIRED to play. The things that keep me attached to this game are my obligations here on Tip.It and that I'm paying for membership.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].