07-Sep-10 Elite Diaries!

Toad

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diaries finally gave me a push to get 95 prayer, kinda broke from it now though. The lamps from other diaries put me over the exp mark for 91 rc. Fishing seemed easy to me in hindsight, but might have been more annoying than I remember, my memory seems to gloss over annoying things. As for new diaries, I'd say biggest chances are troll/gwd,wilderness,desert,gnome, or morytania.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Also you can look at merchanting as a pyramid scheme- you gradually make yourself toward the top, losing money as you start out and gaining money once you are near the top, and there will always be players starting out from the bottom.

Bingo! You just made Pulli's point :-) Pyramid schemes are run by scammers and are illegal.

So is stealing and murdering, y'know? <_<

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Diaries finally gave me a push to get 95 prayer, kinda broke from it now though. The lamps from other diaries put me over the exp mark for 91 rc. Fishing seemed easy to me in hindsight, but might have been more annoying than I remember, my memory seems to gloss over annoying things. As for new diaries, I'd say biggest chances are troll/gwd,wilderness,desert,gnome, or morytania.

Desert or Moryrania is the most likely, Troll area isn't really big enough for a full set of diary tasks and neither is gnome really.

Also you can look at merchanting as a pyramid scheme- you gradually make yourself toward the top, losing money as you start out and gaining money once you are near the top, and there will always be players starting out from the bottom.

Bingo! You just made Pulli's point :-) Pyramid schemes are run by scammers and are illegal.

Thieveing is a skill that brings a minimal amount of gp into the game. Those who pk or go on pk world know what the risks are. Merchenting just messes up the economy for the benefit of the few over the masses.

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

Thieveing is a skill that brings a minimal amount of gp into the game. Those who pk or go on pk world know what the risks are. Merchenting just messes up the economy for the benefit of the few over the masses.

Erm, because thieving brings money into the game and player killers(or even monster killers, actually) know the risks, it isn't ''illegal'' in runescape, but merchanting is still illegal because it it overall doesn't benefit, or more to the point, hurt, anyone?

Yes, pyramid schemes are illegal in real life, but so is murdering and stealing, which are completely normal in runescape, so why shouldn't pyramid schemes be normal in runescape?

Erm, because thieving brings money into the game and player killers(or even monster killers, actually) know the risks, it isn't ''illegal'' in runescape, but merchanting is still illegal because it it overall doesn't benefit, or more to the point, hurt, anyone?

Yes, pyramid schemes are illegal in real life, but so is murdering and stealing, which are completely normal in runescape, so why shouldn't pyramid schemes be normal in runescape?

because its game breaking, and makes the game less fun for others. (pvp is somewhat game breaking too, but that's another discussion.)

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Really, but if you think if it that way, every newb you see alching is also ruining the game for the others, as any additional gp devalues the previous gp. Face it, merchanting is a completely normal part of the game and in fact real life- after all, most of the people living in developed countries make their living out of thin air, as in, they don't actually produce anything. Why can't this also be normal in an internet game?

Pyramid schemes are unfortunately completely normal in runescape. It is false to say it doesn't benefit or hurt anyone, it hurts gameplay. When you want to buy or sell an item sometimes you cannot do so for days because of market manipulation, and also the already stated stealing a gp here and there from other players. Merchenting is a must do for players who don't have play enough hours to keep their current cash pile above inflation.

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

Really, but if you think if it that way, every newb you see alching is also ruining the game for the others, as any additional gp devalues the previous gp. Face it, merchanting is a completely normal part of the game and in fact real life- after all, most of the people living in developed countries make their living out of thin air, as in, they don't actually produce anything. Why can't this also be normal in an internet game?

When people invest money in stocks and the likes, they are lending their money to a company in the hopes that the company is profitable and they in turn get paid dividends. The investors know they have a chance that they could lose some money. What you are talking about are pyramidal scams, where you tell people to pay you money to start a soap selling business. And to be profitable they have to in turn sell the same idea to other gullible investors.

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

Actually, if you think about it, since merchanting is a 0 gain activity, it doesn't overall benefit or hurt anyone, as in the monetary gain by some is compensated by the loss by the others. The fact that the ge is sometimes clogged up is because of bad design not merchanting, so it can't be put down to merchants. I'm also not talking about price manipulation here in regards to merchanting as that purely relies on the street market(which is a clear design fault by jagex) but rather investing and flipping, which actually help the ge work better.

Actually, if you think about it, since merchanting is a 0 gain activity, it doesn't overall benefit or hurt anyone, as in the monetary gain by some is compensated by the loss by the others. The fact that the ge is sometimes clogged up is because of bad design not merchanting, so it can't be put down to merchants. I'm also not talking about price manipulation here in regards to merchanting as that purely relies on the street market(which is a clear design fault by jagex) but rather investing and flipping, which actually help the ge work better.

If you are talking about investing and flipping, then most people have their value go along with the inflation rate in rs. I personally keep most of my money on commodities that are always on demand and that I can also use to level my skills, like pure ess, coal etc... In regards to merchenting clans, all of them are scams where the leaders get rich and those on the bottom get scammed badly.

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

Braindeath island/those other islands?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Since when did this thread become a "merchanting is wrong!" thread? :rolleyes:

Since some people decided to talk about the difficulty of acquiring some skills, then it came to comb vs. skiller, then in how much money you made with each and naturally merchenting was mention as a way to make money.

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

Since when did this thread become a "merchanting is wrong!" thread? :rolleyes:

Since some people decided to talk about the difficulty of acquiring some skills, then it came to comb vs. skiller, then in how much money you made with each and naturally merchenting was mention as a way to make money.

And is merchanting not a viable method of making money? I don't see the issue here. Clearly certain unbuyable skills are far more difficult than buyable skills. Anyone who plays Runescape efficiently can attest to that.

We had an entire thread on morality (the crashing thread), so let's not do that again.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

as said: for each gp YOU earn, someone else has to LOOSE 1...

HENCE the average runescape person will make 0 coins with merchanting - so it should never be considered when talking about the generic runescape population!

An egregious misunderstanding of economics. Merchanting involves buying items from players who don't need them and are willing to take a small loss to sell quickly, then selling them to players who need them now and are wiling to pay a premium to do so. Nobody is getting swindled.

HENCE the average runescape person will make 0 coins with merchanting - so it should never be considered when talking about the generic runescape population!

An egregious misunderstanding of economics. Merchanting involves buying items from players who don't need them and are willing to take a small loss to sell quickly, then selling them to players who need them now and are wiling to pay a premium to do so. Nobody is getting swindled.

^ this. merchanting keeps the economy fluid, as there will always be demand if you're willing to go low enough, or supply if you go high enough. if everyone just bought and sold for keeps, the economy would actually be ruined

Which is something I plan on mentioning in an article I'm working on now. Although there really aren't "pyramid schemes" per se, more like "pump and dump" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_and_dump

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Anyone has the option to merchant, be it flipping or pyramid schemes.

Therefore, it is a perfectly fair method to make money.

fairness isn't a very good measure of what forms of merchanting are "good" or "bad"

flipping can tends to be efficient, pyramid schemes tend to be inefficient

I think that's a better measure.

Naaxi.png

Anyone has the option to merchant, be it flipping or pyramid schemes.

Therefore, it is a perfectly fair method to make money.

fairness isn't a very good measure of what forms of merchanting are "good" or "bad"

flipping can tends to be efficient, pyramid schemes tend to be inefficient

I think that's a better measure.

You are right "good" is another question. I was responding to those saying that merchanting is unfair.

You are right "good" is another question. I was responding to those saying that merchanting is unfair.

perhaps i did not communicate it effectively, but it's useful to define "good" as overall efficient for the economy as a whole when it comes to merchanting.

in which case, "good" can become objective.

just like how you can determine if a training method is efficient for an individual (individual efficiency)

there exists such a thing as efficiency of a group of beings

To me: I look at 2 qualities when I want to weigh whether something is good for the economy or bad for the economy.

Entropy and Efficiency.

Communism, in theory, could be incredibly efficient.

But entropy would dictate that, it's not a stable system, and even if it is efficient at some point, such a system would not last due to the pressures of corruption.

capitalism, is pretty efficient, and very entropic. Because greed helps maintain the state of capitalism.

I think something good for the economy, should be have some healthy balance of efficiency and entropy (as entropy always comes at the cost of efficiency)

A manipulation pyramid however, is neither entropic nor efficient. Therefore, regardless of what I consider this "healthy balance" to be.

Manipulation pyramids, are always, objectively, bad.

Naaxi.png