29-Sep-2010 - Guaranteed Content Poll: Dragon Scimitar Redesign

Den

Dragon scimitar, 2h (the most) and longsword all look messed up. It's not easy to see difference between a scimitar and a longsword.

Jagex's version of a longsword (looks more like a shortsword/scimitar):

Dragon-longsword-GE-detail.png

How longswords should look like:

armoredls1.jpg

One element of this we're particularly excited about is the ability to model and animate players and NPCs outside of the 'square' on which they're standing. This will allow us to improve weapon wielding, combat animations and various other aspects of your appearance. Artists will also be able to design and build more impressive areas, which are less constrained to the grid-like nature of the RuneScape world.

I believe that was, until a week or so ago, a limitation of the game engine, and we'll expect to see rejigging of other weapons as well.

EDIT: The 'remove formatting' button doesn't seem to work properly....

You can't say thats why longswords are the way they are look at spears, chaotic weaponry and such.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted B for lack of a better option. This is a pretty lame guaranteed content poll. As I never use a dscim this really doesn't matter to me whatsoever.

Also, why are the results hidden? It appears that B is leading though as it is at the top.

vettro.png

You can't say thats why longswords are the way they are look at spears, chaotic weaponry and such.

If you consider how certain weapons are held, it's not so crazy. Spears are held upright naturally because of where the weight is focused, so it makes sense for them to be sticking straight up...which is still in the confines of their 'square'. It is a completely reasonable theory.

hzvjpwS.gif

If you consider how certain weapons are held, it's not so crazy. Spears are held upright naturally because of where the weight is focused, so it makes sense for them to be sticking straight up...which is still in the confines of their 'square'. It is a completely reasonable theory.

Old Dragon longswords were long though. The new ones are about 2/3 the size which makes them look much too short.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Old Dragon longswords were long though. The new ones are about 2/3 the size which makes them look much too short.

Even when a longsword was in the old style it didn't look like a proper longsword. I agree the new design is crappy, but I was under the impression we were comparing these items to how they are supposed to look, knowing the proportions of their 'rl counterparts'.

hzvjpwS.gif

They were held forward a bit too, which made them invisible outside the player's square area.

When they update graphics, they should simply up the polygon count of existing models, not completely change them.

But Jagex needs to fix the graphics, they're all "broken".

The graphics team should focus on new content. Older content should only be tweaked if balance is needed.

Why would balance be needed in anythign graphical?

chaotic longsword straightness is overpowered...they need to curve it and add some random spikes to make it balanced with the dragon longsword.

When they update graphics, they should simply up the polygon count of existing models, not completely change them.

But Jagex needs to fix the graphics, they're all "broken".

The graphics team should focus on new content. Older content should only be tweaked if balance is needed.

Why would balance be needed in anything graphical?

I was talking about older content in general, not graphics.

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

I agree Aesthetics help you feel the game out, a sword looking like you're actually applying force.

In my opinion the following areas of the game needs fixing aesthetically.

- Gnomes.

- Monkeys (including ape atoll)

- Armour from bronze -> barrows.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I agree Aesthetics help you feel the game out, a sword looking like you're actually applying force.

- Gnomes.

Hear hear. Gnomes look terrible, they updated Hazelmere's chathead then never bothered again.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

- Gnomes.

Most of Morytania as well. Vampires and ghasts are particularly stupid-looking. Trollheim too, but that's already in the works.

I voted for D, as simplicity is usually best. Also concept art never looks the same when it's put in the game. Prime example being elite diary armour. In the concept art it looked dark and shadowy, in game it looked like crusty iron armour.

If things looked like its concept art in game, I would have gone for 'A' just because the grooves on the bottom of it look nifty.

2vuhgcn.png

This is a fun update and all, but cant they find something more productive to work on? It may be my computer but ive been getting alot of strange graphical glitches ever since z buffering came out and they are annoying as hell.

Click here for all the good stuff

[hide]Drops: 2x Basilisk Head 1x KBD Heads 1x Bando's Tasset (FFA) 45x D Boots 1x D Legs 1x D Med 1x Visage (Fd) 40+Effigy 4x Whip 3x Claws 4x Elite Clues

Barrows: 1x Karil's Top 2x Ahrim's Top 1x Guthan's Spear 1x Guthan's Skirt 1x Karil's X bow 1x Verac's Brassard 1x D Med 1x Guthan's Platebody 1x Karil's Coif 1x Torag's Hammers

Corp: 1x Arcane Split 1x Missed Arcane

DK: 6x Zerker 2x Warrior 8x Hatchet 1x Seercul 2x Mud Staff 2x Seers 4x Archer

Achievements:

99 Attack 6/20/10 101,194th 99 Cooking 7/20/10 122,253rd 99 Magic 9/7/10 71,666th 99 HP 9/9/10 101,964th

99 Range 11/6/10 74,927th 99 Strength 11/7/10 164,778th 99 Defence 12/5/10 92,351st 2,100 Total 11/25/10

Firecape 8/3/10 Extremes 8/14/10 Turmoil 9/26/10 Rapier 10/15/10

http://www.youtube.com/user/Greg2952

[/hide]

With this update, i PRAY TO GOD THAT THEY FIX THE WAY YOU HOLD SWORDS!!!

Seriously, the way we hold our weapons(scimitars, longswords and the CR mainly) is completely stupid. We look like uptight [Term for World War II German soldiers] marching into battle... Why can't we hold them more loosely like any normal person would? Like the way we hold the CLS or the way the Sir Vant holds his white longsword?

[/subjectirantaboutwaytoomuch]

Anyway, I'll go on topic here. I voted B. Because it's the one that i would see best fitting the Dragon Scimitar's image. A and D look way too simple. They don't fit the fact that Dragon weapons are ancient weapons forged by the Dragonkin. Rather they look like something that a current-age blacksmith would hammer out.

Option C looks completely horrid. It would be a completely unbalanced blade, and would shift in your hand as you swung it, causing it to be ineffective as a killing device and might even twist your wrist since it's so unbalanced(Hey, I'm kinda trying to think of this from a real-life scenario =P).

And the old design...

Well, it hardly resembles a scimitar. It resembles more of a single-edged blade. It should have more of a curve, down to the actual hilt. In which case the curve should actually reverse once it reaches near the pummel.

Basically, i wish they would just bring back the old design that has worked perfectly for so long. Maybe just add a bit more color detail to the blade, and make the hilt a goldish brass color like all the other new dragon weapons.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

Seriously, the way we hold our weapons(scimitars, longswords and the CR mainly) is completely stupid. We look like uptight [Term for World War II German soldiers] marching into battle... Why can't we hold them more loosely like any normal person would? Like the way we hold the CLS or the way the Sir Vant holds his white longsword?

Basically, i wish they would just bring back the old design that has worked perfectly for so long. Maybe just add a bit more color detail to the blade, and make the hilt a goldish brass color like all the other new dragon weapons.

Perfect phrasing, and I agree with you 100%, Razz. That, and same for d long (hey, gee, I thought longswords were long, straight blades, not oversized, squat, bent shortswords...)

Capt_Davy.png AbandonnedHeroKeyer25.png

- Gnomes.

Good god yes.

way to read the Z-buffering update :P

Naaxi.png

way to read the Z-buffering update :P

I did read it, but honestly Jagex hyped it up how they can do all this new stuff with the Z-buffering update and blah, blah. But what do we get when it comes out? Clipping ground tiles that still haven't been fixed weeks later. And on top of that, i still see a lot of clipping on my character(things like the tip of a weapon not appearing at certain angles) that was said that Z-buffering would fix.

I got really excited that they might have changed the way we hold weapons when the update came out, but was disappointed =\

We held them straight before with minor clipping, so what's the big deal about it now?

Idk, well it said in BTS that they're reworking godswords(So maybe graphical improvements) this month so maybe the scimitar update will come with that. And just maybe there will be a little thing at the bottom of the page saying:

In other news...

You may now notice that your character will hold certain weapons a bit more loosely.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

- Gnomes.

Good god yes.

Gnomes now. Forget the others for the moment, and get gnomes done.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I voted for D, as simplicity is usually best. Also concept art never looks the same when it's put in the game. Prime example being elite diary armour. In the concept art it looked dark and shadowy, in game it looked like crusty iron armour.

If things looked like its concept art in game, I would have gone for 'A' just because the grooves on the bottom of it look nifty.

This isn't concept art, these are finished 3D models :P

Anyway, B

I did read it, but honestly Jagex hyped it up how they can do all this new stuff with the Z-buffering update and blah, blah. But what do we get when it comes out? Clipping ground tiles that still haven't been fixed weeks later. And on top of that, i still see a lot of clipping on my character(things like the tip of a weapon not appearing at certain angles) that was said that Z-buffering would fix.

Really? I kept track of the specific areas/tiles that used to flicker/clip before, and I played Runescape after the z-buffering update purely to see if it fixed it. Needles to say that every tile was fixed. Are you playing on Safe Mode or something?

- Gnomes.

Good god yes.

I've been wanting those updates for a really long time. Trees too ( they barely changed between RS2 and RSHD )

-------------------------------------------------------------------