The Middle

dragon246665

For me, the hardest part of this game was definitely between the time that I was 80 combat to 100 combat. I remember always feeling like I had to either grind for endless hours or give up. I wasn't high leveled enough to make a lot of money killing monsters that gave good drops because my combat level was too low. And if I wanted to get a higher combat level I would need money to buy weapons food and armor, but I had no money because I was too low leveled to kill things that gave good profit. A vicious cycle...

The thing about this awkward period between noobness and being high leveled was that I was between the point where everything was still new and exciting, and the point where everything is challenging and rewarding. And thats one of my major complaints about runescape is that the game sort of has a bottleneck between the fun and exciting low leveled stuff and the fun and exciting high leveled stuff. Sure theres mid level content, too much many would say, but none of them are real longterm money makers like combat is. I mean, admit it, try skilling for 10 million gp, then try killing for 10 million gp, I bet that unless you're a skiller with 99 runecrafting it would be easier to kill for your money.

Perhaps I'm just crazy, but in my opinion there is a large leap in terms of xp and gp from the low levels to the high levels that some players might not be motivated enough to cross.

Rejected.jpg

For me, the hardest part of this game was definitely between the time that I was 80 combat to 100 combat.

Ever tried going from Draynor to Fally passing the highway men as a level 3?

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

I never thought of it like that, but wo, now that I do, I think you are absolutely correct.

I still feel like I'm in that awkward area, and I'm level 115

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

I would have to agree, although i was f2p for some time around that cb lvl area.

I think because you don't yet have access to the high level content and money making options and you feel you've already done all the "low level" things you can do,

you feel stuck.

Money becomes a big issue around that level because you get the ability to wear high end gear but don't have the cash needed to sate the lust for equipment.

I personally got my quest cape because i was so bored around that combat level, and the road along the way was one of the most enjoyable times I've had in RS.

And i agree that many players might give up around that time because they dont have enough money.

I know a 103 who has a hard time keeping his 13m bank up without spending it all, and he doesn't seem to like RS much because of it.

Too tired to type anymore so ill end with this

Yeah i agree :thumbup:

I started slaying at around 80 combat, so I never experienced that. For me, it was hardest from 100-130 because I wanted to get to higher levels so badly, but there's a massive difference between 100 and 130+. I didn't feel like a high level player till 135, actually.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

It was harder, maybe, but then again, I wasn't used to the of work it requires for some things in the game, which I am now.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

From what I remember, that level was the most fun for me.

I had real life friends that used to play, and it was always a blast to go and do the most random crap as a group. One of us would hear or see something, and we would "set out" to do it. At that level, you can easily start fighting better things, or skilling in more interesting ways with more options, without having a lot of fear of dieing or getting lost.

I do think that the mid levels today have it kind of rough. A lot of them have huge goals like owning a fury, but only have very mediocre ways of getting money. It's a tough bump to get over, but in my opinion, it was one of the more fun bumps.

S2buxtG.png

Luckily, with dragon bones as expensive as they are nowadays, this is MUCH less of an issue than it was when some of us were mid level. I used to fletch and alch yew longs for 50gp profit a bow when I was a youngin.

Seriously, green dragons are absurdly easy and drop such a tremendous profit per kill. The amount of time that one must train to reach a combat that can reasonably kill green dragons is tiny.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Luckily, with dragon bones as expensive as they are nowadays, this is MUCH less of an issue than it was when some of us were mid level. I used to fletch and alch yew longs for 50gp profit a bow when I was a youngin.

I remember the good 'ol days of w132 Yanille bank, selling yew longs to make my first mill at around lvl 90. Ahh, good times.

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

I didn't really notice it when I was that level, but when you think about it there really just used to be the Kalphite Queen and maybe the KBD as high level boss monsters - nowaways there are so many high level monsters to strive towards. The main reason I trained back then was to duel/pk, as I think many people did, and that was a cheap activity. In the current game monster hunting is huge, especially with Slayer being released, and you NEED high level armour and weapons that didn't even exist back then.

I remember years and years ago when I was to poor to afford addy, and I always wondered why I sucked at pking and absoloutley nothing I did could get me some decent cash untill I got members and started picking flax :S.

Although this happened at level 20-40 or something.

For me, the hardest part of this game was definitely between the time that I was 80 combat to 100 combat. I remember always feeling like I had to either grind for endless hours or give up. I wasn't high leveled enough to make a lot of money killing monsters that gave good drops because my combat level was too low. And if I wanted to get a higher combat level I would need money to buy weapons food and armor, but I had no money because I was too low leveled to kill things that gave good profit. A vicious cycle...

The thing about this awkward period between noobness and being high leveled was that I was between the point where everything was still new and exciting, and the point where everything is challenging and rewarding. And thats one of my major complaints about runescape is that the game sort of has a bottleneck between the fun and exciting low leveled stuff and the fun and exciting high leveled stuff. Sure theres mid level content, too much many would say, but none of them are real longterm money makers like combat is. I mean, admit it, try skilling for 10 million gp, then try killing for 10 million gp, I bet that unless you're a skiller with 99 runecrafting it would be easier to kill for your money.

Perhaps I'm just crazy, but in my opinion there is a large leap in terms of xp and gp from the low levels to the high levels that some players might not be motivated enough to cross.

A giant puberty analogy, I get it.

For some reason, you reminded me of that old Alice Cooper song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAPD7ZZr7_I

Personally, I've felt the variety in the game has a pyramid effect, with fewer options for higher level content. Jagex has been addressing this issue much more in the last couple of years though, so maybe you are right. For a long while, I was struggling to make money as well. At some point, you start developing a pattern to make money, you FINALLY get that high-end drop you were waiting for, or you just wind up in the right place at the right time (such as holding an item that sharply increases during an update).

As far as the gaps are concerned, they only get wider and wider as you progress.

rssig2.png

A giant puberty analogy, I get it.

If you have nothing to say that would contribute to the topic, then don't post anything. You made yourself look [developmentally delayed]ed.

OT: I've never really noticed it - although I do remember quitting for a certain time between 85-95 because I felt that RS became to hard. So... that was probably it. An interesting topic :thumbup:

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

I remember the good 'ol days of w132 Yanille bank, selling yew longs to make my first mill at around lvl 90. Ahh, good times.

I smelted steel bars, had a perm buyer and supplier for the ores /nostalgia.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I'm probably in the middle right now. I have to agree, these "middle" levels are probably the toughest part of leveling and making money. I've rced for ~2 hours and only used up about 2k-ish essence, for ~10k exp =\

But when I get into the high levels, I know that there will be more benefits (more profit, dungeoneering). Don't even get me started on combat skills.

Perhaps when I get p2p everything will be a breeze for me since I prepared so much in f2p :thumbsup:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention