Textbooks

sees_all1

Sad thing is, we don't really use the textbooks. Almost all of the work can be done by simply studying the questionbank and using question recognition in the exams. Sure enough its a 13 000 question questionbank, but its going to be a whole lot easier than memorizing 50lbs worth of books.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up probably spending probably $500 in books on Amazon, but because of my area of study I use a lot of primary source books (The Prince, The Histories, Leviathan, etc.) so singularly they're not that expensive, but 20-30 or so per semester add up. In terms of textbooks, I only had to buy two this semester that I got used on Amazon for like $80 total, and our professor got us a free online version of another.

But yes, when other people say textbooks, is that inclusive of books like classical political theory and religious texts, or do they mean it in the strictest sense of a hard covered book that is encyclopedic?

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

• 10 months later...

Last semester I paid $380, which seems to be (for me at least) on the low side.

This semester I'll spend $215, plus whatever I have to spend on my senior design class.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I have to pay nearly $215 for textbooks for one class this semester. >.< I also bought new books for both of my nuclear engineering classes on Amazon today for $130 which is nice seeing as they would have cost $310 used at the bookstores near my university.

I expect about $400 a semester... If the price at any bookstore, subtract the Amazon sellback is less than amazon rent, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll rent off amazon.

Nice tip though, is don't buy until after the first day of class. Even though some books will say required, a lot of the times a professor will say it's not completely necessary to buy the book. You can also usually tell by looking at the syllabus, etc.

2s0cxth.png

This semester $265 for my physics book/workbook/onlinehwrequiredthingy and $145 for my German book (should have bought it in the first place, I paid $60 to rent it last semester and needed it this sem too, so I just paid the balance on Amazon... was dumbish but easy). I had the rest of the books from last semester (Chem, Calc, Eng) already.

$0. I stopped buying books. None of my upper compsci courses have online assignments behind a code or anything. That, and if I really need to I can just find a torrent of the needed books pretty fast.

Last semester? $130, and I only used one of them.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a loose left Spanish text with online access code for $200, a Game Theory textbook for $40 and one for my Japaneses culture class for $35. I was forced to go to the campus bookstore for Spanish and I didn't really care to Amazon my last book. I'm not bummed out about Game Theory because I'll like keep that book for a reference (I keep my Calculus, African History, and AutoCAD books for the same reason. I don't even need AutoCAD since I'm not longer in the major but I still have the software.) Now $200 is a lot I did not wanna part with but I kinda didn't mind this time. Last semester was the first semester the school had been on a semester system. So they changed our dining plan. A lot of students (including me) got dining plans that way overestimated how much we need, since it appeared we'd be using 2 or more blocks (as they are called) to pay for a meal. So they refunded us $3 for every block we had left. I got some $600 back. However, it was placed on out student IDs meaning we are restricted to using that money on campus.

I didn't expect a refund so after buying my Spanish book I blew off some $100 on stuff I don't even remember. :P I'm trying to use my reduced meal plan and save the money on my ID for my laundry and stuff. Hopefully I'll have something left over for my last semester.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

So far, spent about $70 in books. They're actually normal books not textbooks, and thus, not overpriced.

I need two more books that ARE textbooks at $75 a pop. Gonna wait to see if I actually need them before buying them.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Mine came to about $40, as I sailed the high seas for the other three courses.

No [bleep]ing way I am paying an absurd amount when I need the funds for rent.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

• 3 weeks later...

The websites I personally use every semester:

• BigWords (catch-all for all other textbook websites, tells you the cheapest and gives you a coupon if available; also, especially useful for selling your textbooks).
  • Bookbyte (probably 50% of my purchases are either from this website or Amazon)
  • Amazon (of course)
  • Half.com (very rarely; surprisingly their prices aren't the greatest usually)

(I used referral links as they usually give you a discount/special stuff.)

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

After my first year in college, even the price of second hand books was enough for me to stop buying any of the large text books recommended by my lecturers. I spent more on 1 text book than I did for the rest of my college career combined.

especially considering most of those text books are only 'somewhat' useful during the year they are offered, and then they become reference books. I just borrow them from the library.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Does anyone else have the issue of never using the textbooks they initially buy, and then having to rush to the bookstore the second day of classes because it's actually crucial to have the one book you didn't buy?

Every friggin' semester for me.

And the new trend with my luck is I actually end up liking the text books I rent, and hate the ones I buy. Go figure.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn