General Aversion to Degradation

Sinkhan

Why is it that so many people absolutely detest the degradation of items? With the release of the Nex drops, I've read tons of RSOF responses saying that "omg it's crap because it has same str as bandos, but degrades D:"

I've known people who refuse to use barrows and will pick dragon over it because of degradation, even though it's remarkably cheap to maintain. There are even those who think chaotics are crappy since you have to pay to keep using them.

Is it the actual cost? In most cases, items don't actually cost that much to maintain, especially with great armour like barrows costing like 10K/hr to maintain. Could it be the "inconvenience" of having to actually go repair the item after "x" hours? It seems a rather small point to me since most items last 10+ hours, which is a lot longer than people tend to camp at certain spots. Aside from the crystal items, degrading items keep their stats constant until they fully break.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

need to keep every gp in this economy irl and irs

No, no, we really don't....

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

some people need to keep every gp in this economy irl and irs

How do people take money out irl? Melt pennies to make copper? I can't think of another way...

Lrn2economics

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

All I do slay pretty much, and it's already enough of a pain that I have to go get new tasks, much less go waste money to recharge armor that's overkill for most tasks. Sure paying for recharge won't make me go broke, but it basically cuts away most of my profit from slaying unless I get a lot of lucky drops.

Lagatag.png

At least their weird aversion to these items allows for increased availability of the items for those of us who can understand they are the better option in cases such as dragon vs barrows.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

At least their weird aversion to these items allows for increased availability of the items for those of us who can understand they are the better option in cases such as dragon vs barrows.

agreed. And until yesterday, barrows was one of the best bossing gear, and quite nice for safe pvp.

Capt_Davy.png AbandonnedHeroKeyer25.png

What is up with Jagex's aversion to high level armors that don't degrade? They need a different mechanic at the very least.

Any idiot on the street can offer criticism, it's harder to actually offer up alternatives. Care to throw your hat into the ring and make a suggestion that will offset the power of high level armor/weapons?

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

What is up with Jagex's aversion to high level armors that don't degrade? They need a different mechanic at the very least.

Any idiot on the street can offer criticism, it's harder to actually offer up alternatives. Care to throw your hate into the ring and make a suggestion that will offset the power of high level armor/weapons?

Precisely. To be honest, I think they should really amp up the armor, then crank the [cabbage] out of the degradation costs. They're really charging us pennies.

The only other alternative is to make the armor untradeable.

top_lel_face.png

Degradable items are good for certain uses.

Barrows at slayer is not really that great because it's overkill and any other armor such as Bandos would do.

Chaotic Rapier, well better anywhere, I use it unless it's a mini game.

As for barrows gear, it's true use comes to PvM and PvP, you need the best defence you can get in these cases, but for slayer.. Bandos just looks better and if you can afford it, go for it :P

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

Any idiot on the street can offer criticism, it's harder to actually offer up alternatives. Care to throw your hate into the ring and make a suggestion that will offset the power of high level armor/weapons?

Precisely. To be honest, I think they should really amp up the armor, then crank the [cabbage] out of the degradation costs. They're really charging us pennies.

The only other alternative is to make the armor untradeable.

Having degradation costs can go both ways. On one hand, you don't want the costs to be so high that the armor is practically useless because there aren't any training methods efficient enough to utilize it. On the other hand, you don't want to end up like World of Warcraft where degradation costs are the equivalent of a 25 cent toll booth.

I wouldn't be too averted to this. Runescape is one of the few MMOs that doesn't have some sort of bind-on-pickup/bind-on-equip system. Yea, there are untradeable items, but they're mostly related to quest rewards rather than items you'd just find on a boss.

Having a bind on equip option would result in too many changes to discuss here, but it is something Jagex should really be looking at for their high end gear.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Wait, how is that hate? What I said wasn't in any way shape or form to the degree that it could be construed it as hate. I think you want to make me seem like some jerk to discredit what I said.

Do I have an idea for another mechanic? No. Do I think that the degrading one has been overused? Yes.

Wait, how is that hate? What I said wasn't in any way shape or form to the degree that it could be construed it as hate. I think you want to make me seem like some jerk to discredit what I said.

Do I have an idea for another mechanic? No. Do I think that the degrading one has been overused? Yes.

The phrase is "throw your hat into the ring", so I guess he typo'd.

I guess they could implement some sort of skill challenge to repair your armour once it fully degrades, much like an effigy system. For instance, using knowledge of Smithing / Crafting to recharge the armour, still using some cash, and returning a certain amount of time to the armour based on your level. This would get complex when trying to fully repair for resale, though.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

some people need to keep every gp in this economy irl and irs

How do people take money out irl? Melt pennies to make copper? I can't think of another way...

Lrn2economics

Please tell me that's sarcasm.

Maybe we could bury it instead?

I've honestly never had a problem using Barrows armour for things like Slayer and MHing. It's cheaper to buy than Bandos which I don't have the money for right now, and repairing it is extremely cheap and no hassle at all with a repair stand in my house.

I've honestly never had a problem using Barrows armour for things like Slayer and MHing. It's cheaper to buy than Bandos which I don't have the money for right now, and repairing it is extremely cheap and no hassle at all with a repair stand in my house.

Barrows defence is actually pretty much overkill. I use Rune.

top_lel_face.png

Possible yes, but knowing Omali as I do, he is in general, a bitter little person.

I wouldn't really consider myself bitter, moreso hopelessly optimistic, and at about 6 feet tall, I'm not exactly little. Person? Alright, you've got me there as my college class was able to deduce that I'm actually a robot.

But yes, I did mean throw your hat into the ring. I take issue with people who criticize without any suggestion of their own. It's not so much a "bitter little person" thing as much as it is an expectation of contribution. If there is a problem, the best way to fix it is to get as many ideas as possible. If the furnace is broken, you either try to fix it yourself or you call a mechanic in to do it for you. You don't sit around complaining about how cold it is.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png