Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

General Aversion to Degradation

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Sinkhan
[ Display Name History ]

Sinkhan

Ex-Website Crew

• Members
  • 2,662 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
Why is it that so many people absolutely detest the degradation of items? With the release of the Nex drops, I've read tons of RSOF responses saying that "omg it's crap because it has same str as bandos, but degrades D:"

I've known people who refuse to use barrows and will pick dragon over it because of degradation, even though it's remarkably cheap to maintain. There are even those who think chaotics are crappy since you have to pay to keep using them.

Is it the actual cost? In most cases, items don't actually cost that much to maintain, especially with great armour like barrows costing like 10K/hr to maintain. Could it be the "inconvenience" of having to actually go repair the item after "x" hours? It seems a rather small point to me since most items last 10+ hours, which is a lot longer than people tend to camp at certain spots. Aside from the crystal items, degrading items keep their stats constant until they fully break.

#Free
[ Display Name History ]

#Free

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • RSN:Free
  • Clan:#EfficiencyExperts
some people need to keep every gp in this economy irl and irs

@Dragonseance #1 to 200m all.
www.twitter.com/dragonseance

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sir Squab

need to keep every gp in this economy irl and irs

No, no, we really don't....

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Nifflin
[ Display Name History ]

Nifflin

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • RSN:Nifflin
  • RSN2:Runnersdie

some people need to keep every gp in this economy irl and irs

How do people take money out irl? Melt pennies to make copper? I can't think of another way...

Lrn2economics

PM me in game anytime

Myu
[ Display Name History ]

Myu

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
It's just an inconvenience. People slaying a lot have to recharge quite often with barrows.

lagatag
[ Display Name History ]

lagatag

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,557 posts
All I do slay pretty much, and it's already enough of a pain that I have to go get new tasks, much less go waste money to recharge armor that's overkill for most tasks. Sure paying for recharge won't make me go broke, but it basically cuts away most of my profit from slaying unless I get a lot of lucky drops.
Posted Image

Dexek
[ Display Name History ]

Dexek

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,534 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Dexek
At least their weird aversion to these items allows for increased availability of the items for those of us who can understand they are the better option in cases such as dragon vs barrows.

Posted Image

Poetry
Indexed Picture 1
Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

Posted Image

Grogthurk
[ Display Name History ]

Grogthurk

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • RSN:Grogthurk

but it basically cuts away most of my profit from slaying unless I get a lot of lucky drops.

10k/hr is most of your profit? What you slaying?

top_lel_face.png

Vex
[ Display Name History ]

Vex

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • RSN:Platebeard
The whole point of degrading items, is akin to durability in other games. it's a way for the game to provide a gold sink to remove GP from the economy.
Posted Image
http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

Capt_Davy
[ Display Name History ]

Capt_Davy

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • RSN:Capt Davy

At least their weird aversion to these items allows for increased availability of the items for those of us who can understand they are the better option in cases such as dragon vs barrows.

agreed. And until yesterday, barrows was one of the best bossing gear, and quite nice for safe pvp.
Posted Image Posted Image

Bangin_Blonde
[ Display Name History ]

Bangin_Blonde

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Honeypot_Grl
  • Clan:I don't Clan
What is up with Jagex's aversion to high level armors that don't degrade? They need a different mechanic at the very least.

Goldenjkered
[ Display Name History ]

Goldenjkered

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,483 posts
  • RSN:GoldenJkered
For me it's just my OCD. If I use barrows it just feels like it's wrong or unclean in someway when it degrades.
Posted Image

Whips: 3 Dragon Boots: 15

My 99's: Attack & Cooking

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.c...er/Goldenjkered

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

What is up with Jagex's aversion to high level armors that don't degrade? They need a different mechanic at the very least.

Any idiot on the street can offer criticism, it's harder to actually offer up alternatives. Care to throw your hat into the ring and make a suggestion that will offset the power of high level armor/weapons?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Matt_Marche
[ Display Name History ]

Matt_Marche

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • RSN:Matt Marche
  • RSN2:Ismibeg
  • Clan:DGS, THH
If you're slaying you won't be using the barrows helms, which means you would only be using a platebody and platelegs

On top of that, 50 smithing = 25% reduction to costs. You're talking 10k/hour...
Posted Image

Grogthurk
[ Display Name History ]

Grogthurk

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 811 posts

Any idiot on the street can offer criticism, it's harder to actually offer up alternatives. Care to throw your hate into the ring and make a suggestion that will offset the power of high level armor/weapons?

Precisely. To be honest, I think they should really amp up the armor, then crank the [cabbage] out of the degradation costs. They're really charging us pennies.

The only other alternative is to make the armor untradeable.

top_lel_face.png

J35u5_M4
[ Display Name History ]

J35u5_M4

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • RSN:J35u5 M4
  • Clan:True Maxed
Degradable items are good for certain uses.

Barrows at slayer is not really that great because it's overkill and any other armor such as Bandos would do.
Chaotic Rapier, well better anywhere, I use it unless it's a mini game.

As for barrows gear, it's true use comes to PvM and PvP, you need the best defence you can get in these cases, but for slayer.. Bandos just looks better and if you can afford it, go for it :P

Posted Image

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

Any idiot on the street can offer criticism, it's harder to actually offer up alternatives. Care to throw your hate into the ring and make a suggestion that will offset the power of high level armor/weapons?

Precisely. To be honest, I think they should really amp up the armor, then crank the [cabbage] out of the degradation costs. They're really charging us pennies.

The only other alternative is to make the armor untradeable.

Having degradation costs can go both ways. On one hand, you don't want the costs to be so high that the armor is practically useless because there aren't any training methods efficient enough to utilize it. On the other hand, you don't want to end up like World of Warcraft where degradation costs are the equivalent of a 25 cent toll booth.

I wouldn't be too averted to this. Runescape is one of the few MMOs that doesn't have some sort of bind-on-pickup/bind-on-equip system. Yea, there are untradeable items, but they're mostly related to quest rewards rather than items you'd just find on a boss.

Having a bind on equip option would result in too many changes to discuss here, but it is something Jagex should really be looking at for their high end gear.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Bangin_Blonde
[ Display Name History ]

Bangin_Blonde

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Honeypot_Grl
  • Clan:I don't Clan

Wait, how is that hate? What I said wasn't in any way shape or form to the degree that it could be construed it as hate. I think you want to make me seem like some jerk to discredit what I said.

Do I have an idea for another mechanic? No. Do I think that the degrading one has been overused? Yes.

Grogthurk
[ Display Name History ]

Grogthurk

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 811 posts
I really thought they got it right with Herblore on Exts/ovls. Was hoping they'd carry it over with Nex, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

top_lel_face.png

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

Wait, how is that hate? What I said wasn't in any way shape or form to the degree that it could be construed it as hate. I think you want to make me seem like some jerk to discredit what I said.

Do I have an idea for another mechanic? No. Do I think that the degrading one has been overused? Yes.

The phrase is "throw your hat into the ring", so I guess he typo'd.
I guess they could implement some sort of skill challenge to repair your armour once it fully degrades, much like an effigy system. For instance, using knowledge of Smithing / Crafting to recharge the armour, still using some cash, and returning a certain amount of time to the armour based on your level. This would get complex when trying to fully repair for resale, though.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users