General Aversion to Degradation

Sinkhan

I think degrading high level armor isn't a very effective way to counterbalance their high stats. At this point, it's more of a nuisance. Taking a few thousand gp off of your hourly profits while using barrows really doesn't make it any more "balanced". Unless the way to recharge the equipment was more based on skill levels or other accomplishments, it seems like a superficial nuisance.

Perhaps smithing level could have more of an impact on repairing items. Right now, it only reduces cost of barrows equipment slightly. I'd like to see the ability to reinforce barrows armor to last much longer without needing repair, or even to not degrade at all with high smithing levels.

As for Torva, Pernix, and Virtus armor, I can't really say much, seeing as I have no idea how much they cost to repair. However, it's probably more "artificial game balance" to quiet some newbies who think it's "so b0rken".

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's just my OCD. If I use barrows it just feels like it's wrong or unclean in someway when it degrades.

+1, especially for armor sets if I only use part of it, the different parts being at different stages of degradation is just too much.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I don't MIND degrading armor. The defence bonuses are still there when you need it. Just think of it

that the degration cost pays for itself. You may not get the full benefit of saving money from using it

but the cost you're paying in return is offering you those incredibly uber stats.

It may not shine when doing slayer (since 1m coins every 10hs can add up) the defence bonus

though is unlike any other so whenever you need that much defence to Pk, monster hunt or w/e

don't even think twice about looking to buy some degrading but powerful armor. :thumbup:

While a torag's/dharok's/other melee top might be overkill in some situations, it's hard to deny the usefulness of verac's +4. But even with that, the whopping 4k/hr to maintain (50 smith) is enough to turn people off.

I'll agree that it's more of a nuisance than an actual game balance, but OCD and cosmetics aside, I see no good reason why people would refuse to use it.

I don't like items that degrade unless their hidden ability makes up for the cost, like Guthans. With Torva, the only real difference for me would be the defence stats, and defence I don't really care about because that's what familiars are for, right?

I like the look of Torva, so I guess that will be enough of an incentive to make me pay for any repairs. If only the actual armour pieces didn't cost 200m + an arm + a leg for starters. I'm going to camp abby demons for the next 5 years (or until I can afford a piece o_O).

2vuhgcn.png

All I do slay pretty much, and it's already enough of a pain that I have to go get new tasks, much less go waste money to recharge armor that's overkill for most tasks. Sure paying for recharge won't make me go broke, but it basically cuts away most of my profit from slaying unless I get a lot of lucky drops.

Lol wut....

You're a higher Slayer level than me yet you say you cannot sustain the use of barrows through Slayer loot?

newsigb.png

99 Attack - Done

some people need to keep every gp in this economy irl and irs

How do people take money out irl? Melt pennies to make copper? I can't think of another way...

Lrn2economics

You've got a bright future ahead living paycheck to paycheck.

So never learn to save. NEVER.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Possible yes, but knowing Omali as I do, he is in general, a bitter little person.

I wouldn't really consider myself bitter, moreso hopelessly optimistic, and at about 6 feet tall, I'm not exactly little. Person? Alright, you've got me there as my college class was able to deduce that I'm actually a robot.

But yes, I did mean throw your hat into the ring. I take issue with people who criticize without any suggestion of their own. It's not so much a "bitter little person" thing as much as it is an expectation of contribution. If there is a problem, the best way to fix it is to get as many ideas as possible. If the furnace is broken, you either try to fix it yourself or you call a mechanic in to do it for you. You don't sit around complaining about how cold it is.

Yes, fair enough. Even if you can't fix the furnace, there is nothing wrong with identifying that the furnace is broken and needs fixing. Problem is, if you try to call the mechanics,(Jagex) they'll just tell you it's not that cold and to stop bothering them.

How do people take money out irl? Melt pennies to make copper? I can't think of another way...

Lrn2economics

Just in case you did not know: United States' pennies haven't been made from copper for about thirty years. The outer layer is a copper coating but about 98% of the coin is zinc.

As for degradation of items, I do not like them based on the fact that if I earn it, then I have it. I should not have to constantly maintain a digital item. Understandably a car needs maintenance, but not my armour in Runescape. Although I do not like them, I do use such armours as barrows and others that do degrade for the reason that benefits outweigh costs.

wessan.png

Lrn2economics

Just in case you did not know: United States' pennies haven't been made from copper for over half a century. The outer layer is a copper coating but about 98% of the coin is zinc.

Can you name a country where coins of a single alloy are in use? If they have copper in them, you can melt them to make copper.

As for degrading armor, it's funny how the idea surfaced when barrows was released and even more funnier to see how well it has worked in limiting the use of those items. It's great for those with a clear mind that the new armors degrade in that it limits the demand.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Lrn2economics

Just in case you did not know: United States' pennies haven't been made from copper for about thirty years. The outer layer is a copper coating but about 98% of the coin is zinc.

As for degradation of items, I do not like them based on the fact that if I earn it, then I have it. I should not have to constantly maintain a digital item. Understandably a car needs maintenance, but not my armour in Runescape. Although I do not like them, I do use such armours as barrows and others that do degrade for the reason that benefits outweigh costs.

runescape is ment to be somewhat real, yea i know we blast huge monsters with magic etc, but point is, sometimes a bit of real-ness leaks in, and haveing to ripair armour is just one of thouse things.

besdies, even if you "earn" the item, you can think of the degradeing as continueing to earn it.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

There appears to be two arguments as to why pepople don't really like it, perhaps three:

• People find it inconvenient to keep recharing
  • People think it's too expensive to keep recharging
    People have some weird OCD where they'd prefer not to use degraded armour

For the rest of us the pro's outweigh the cons for which I am thankful, as someone posted earlier, that there is less demand for the items so they're cheaper for the rest of us.

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

Lrn2economics

Saving money in a bank does not remove it from the economy.

When you deposit money, that specific bank has more money to potentially lone out which the borrower will spend on an emu farm or something and stimulate the economy.

Burrying works(at least temporarily), though.

EDIT: Also, I don't have time to spend AT LEAST 40 seconds teleporting to my house and repairing crap between tasks if the only bonus is increasing my defense. That ranger armor is a bit more interesting though...and I have a feeling that that will end up as the most expensive set.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Lrn2economics

Just in case you did not know: United States' pennies haven't been made from copper for over half a century. The outer layer is a copper coating but about 98% of the coin is zinc.

Can you name a country where coins of a single alloy are in use? If they have copper in them, you can melt them to make copper.

As for degrading armor, it's funny how the idea surfaced when barrows was released and even more funnier to see how well it has worked in limiting the use of those items. It's great for those with a clear mind that the new armors degrade in that it limits the demand.

I cannot name a country, but can you give me an efficient process for separating the copper and zinc as to a point where you are actually "saving or taking money" from it? It already costs 1.65 cents to make one penny. <----- that I had to look up.

To zamorakninja, I understand your point, but I can still not like having to maintain the armour. I said I use it anyway though based on the benefits such armours give.

wessan.png

To zamorakninja, I understand your point, but I can still not like having to maintain the armour. I said I use it anyway though based on the benefits such armours give.

Which actually brings up the good point:

If the armour wouldn't need repair it would be the "best for everything' "1 size fits all" amour.. Now for small tasks you might consider using cheaper armour as you won't need ko prevention!

Thus by giving it a drawback in the form of a monetary cost, it makes sure old armour doesn't become useless!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Degradation is a grindy game mechanic. It's the same reason why people hate temporary guns in those [cabbage] f2p shooters.

If you're the type of person who doesn't see a problem in grinding for months to get a 90+ skill, then you won't understand why people don't like degradation. Once you quit the game and/or obtain some understanding of fun game design, then you'll realize why people don't like it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lrn2economics

Putting money in a bank doesn't take it out of the economy. Even burying it is still a choice, and as a consumer your decisions would be altered by the fact that you know you have a stash, so it still has influence.

When money goes into a sink in RS, it is actually removed, in real life there are far fewer situations where it is removed. I personally would never take money out of the economy, I much rather buy goods with it, mostly for investment though. I'm just curious as to what 0phathead0 could possibly have meant.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Degradation is a grindy game mechanic. It's the same reason why people hate temporary guns in those [cabbage] f2p shooters.

If you're the type of person who doesn't see a problem in grinding for months to get a 90+ skill, then you won't understand why people don't like degradation. Once you quit the game and/or obtain some understanding of fun game design, then you'll realize why people don't like it.

welcome back to the Runescape section :rolleyes:

I hardly find repairing an item once every....month....a grind, especially when the repairing takes at most 20 seconds.

As for the months for a 90+ skill, most skills don't take months, but I do agree to a point.

A lot of the skills in this game I really don't mind spending time doing, since they're either fun, or afkable, so I can do other things anyways while I do them.

The only 3 skills I've ever had a problem with are Runecrafting, agility and Hunter, because I don't find them fun, and they aren't afkable. Which explains why they're among my lowest stats :P

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I see how you designed your post to lead people into reading it and then insult them at the end, given that you're posting it on a fansite for an MMO. Good job, that's totally constructive. [/sarcasm]

I just want to make one suggestion to everyone who doesn't want to get degradable equipment: Get an armour repair point in your house, and maybe get some 'Teleport to House' tablets if you want to use Ancients or Lunars (also acts as a handy one click teleport). Even with mediocre Smithing levels, you can save about a third of the cost, and at higher levels it approaches half. Also, don't let it get damaged to 0, just top it up every so often when you feel like it. The whole thing takes about 20 seconds.

On the flip side, it's 10 hours of solid combat. That pretty much equates to at least once a month for the average player. No biggie.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

welcome back to the Runescape section :rolleyes:

I hardly find repairing an item once every....month....a grind, especially when the repairing takes at most 20 seconds.

As for the months for a 90+ skill, most skills don't take months, but I do agree to a point.

A lot of the skills in this game I really don't mind spending time doing, since they're either fun, or afkable, so I can do other things anyways while I do them.

The only 3 skills I've ever had a problem with are Runecrafting, agility and Hunter, because I don't find them fun, and they aren't afkable. Which explains why they're among my lowest stats :P

You can multitask(not afk) agility and runecrafting with watching movies. Hunter, not so much.