Summoning in the Wilderness

Logdotzip

As you, the entire forum, and probably the world knows, "Old Wild" is coming back on Feb 1st. With it comes the traditional skulling system and original level boundaries. Protect Item finally gets its use back, and there's an actual true risk with letting your prayer drop now. There's one HUGE thing though that it *seems* everyone is overlooking; The Summoning mechanic.

Members can indeed use familiars in the Wilderness, and we highly recommend them - they can mean the difference between winning or losing! Whether taking a beast of burden into the Wilderness to act as food storage, or bringing a combat familiar to deal additional damage, a familiar can be of great benefit. Familiars can attack or be attacked in multi-way areas of the Wilderness (denoted by a crossed swords icon on your display). When outside of multi-way combat areas, your familiar cannot be right-clicked and attacked, nor can they target other players or creatures.

Familiars do not affect your combat level, in terms of deciding whether you can attack or be attacked by a player in a certain depth of the Wilderness. Instead, if a player is capable of summoning a familiar or has a familiar summoned while they are in a multi-way area, they will have a '+ X' next to their combat level, where X is an addition to their combat level. This is for your reference, and informs you of what your opponent's combat level would be with a familiar summoned and aiding them in battle.

Yes, what this now means is no matter what level wilderness you are in, you can summon that Pack Yak or Steel Titan without any penalty towards who you can and cannot attack. A level 126+7 without a Steel Titan can now be attacked by another 126+12 with one.

Combat familiar wise, this may not be a huge deal, since most 1v1 fights occur in non-multi, rendering familiar useless (However wouldn't it be cool if Jagex rewrote combat to allow familiars to attack just your target in single way? There would need balancing OFC, but that's a whole nother issue). There are a lot of passive abilities to be considered though, such as the Steel Titan's invisible 15% stab slash and crush defense bonus, or the Lava Titan's invisible +10 Firemaking boost (For Handcannon users).

Familiars like Locusts and Forge Regnts may see some use, what with their ability to eat the opponents food or de-equip their items. The Wolpertinger will give a Magic level bonus equivalent to an Extreme Magic potion. There's also Bunyips, Terrorbirds, Unicorns and Pack Yaks to be considered. For those that BoBs are available to, our inventories have all been increased to hold considerably more items.

All of this comes with the price of maintaining the familiar, as well as the scrolls associated with it, not even counting the price of the extra food / supplies you'll be able to hold.

Finally, for those lucky enough to have a Pack Yak, risk of death may not be too high after all, considering you can summon a Yak last minute to bank all your high-end items.

Keep in mind familiars will be a literal extension of the player, so attacking one or being attacked by one will skull you or the other player, respectively.

I think a brand new style of PKing is going to emerge, very, very soon, and I think it's going to be exciting as ever. I feel this subject had enough discussion value to merit it's own topic, so please, share your thoughts and ideas on what Summoning is going to bring to the PKing table.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what I've been thinking. The effects are going to be quite complex, because there's such a huge range of familiars out there.

I think Yak's and Unicorns are going to make the biggest impact, because they can be summoned at the very last minute and do some quick healing or banking before what was supposed to be certain doom.

With no differentiation between a player with a Wolpertinger and a player without, Edgeville will see big changes in how players react to Hybrids, who can and will hit 500's through Protect from Melee.

I agree with what you're saying about passive abilities. Steel Titan may be the norm for those with a high enough summoning level to have it, because it gives that extra little boost in defence that is unachievable without.

Who knows what the aftermath will be, we'll just have to wait and see...

^ do you not have 96 summ

I'm really excited that Jagex implemented this system. They realized that otherwise it'd basically be impossible to properly balance summoning levels with combat ability.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Yaks REALLY need to be nerfed. Banking above 20/30 wild is stupid.

Yeah, but I really don't want to lose my spade when I'm doing my clues? :S

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

I'm really excited that Jagex implemented this system. They realized that otherwise it'd basically be impossible to properly balance summoning levels with combat ability.

Exactly. People whining about this are invariably the people without the levels. JUST. LIKE. EXTREME. POTIONS.

I am not yet 96 summoning but I have been working my ass off lately to get charms for it, and I will be really mad if they nerf it. 96+ summoning is much harder to obtain than 96+ herblore, since in addition to having to spend hundreds of millions on supplies and shards, you also have to get the charms which takes a long time.

td2sig.jpg

Exactly. People whining about this are invariably the people without the levels. JUST. LIKE. EXTREME. POTIONS.

I am not yet 96 summoning but I have been working my ass off lately to get charms for it, and I will be really mad if they nerf it. 96+ summoning is much harder to obtain than 96+ herblore, since in addition to having to spend hundreds of millions on supplies and shards, you also have to get the charms which takes a long time.

I don't have 96 on the account I currently play on. But that's not to say I don't have 96 summ. And the ones whining to use their extremes and winter storage are none other then skillers which will never bother pking.

I'm looking forward to my wolpe there :D

Thinking I could try out ancient staff/wolpe spec MAYBE arcane stream, koraskis/dds for spec.

What the deuce is the protect value on the arcane stream anyhow...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I don't have 96 on the account I currently play on. But that's not to say I don't have 96 summ. And the ones whining to use their extremes and winter storage are none other then skillers which will never bother pking.

I'm in a clan that does a fair bit of P2P. I'm not just "some skiller." That said, I do see the viewpoint of the people who don't want extremes in the Wild: the RS combat system simply can't deal with extremes in PvP. Damage absorption doesn't really do [cabbage] and Torva is like DSS and a full set probably won't ever be used except in single-way Wildy rushes where there's very little danger of losing it (since rushing is the only way you'll get fights wearing that).

td2sig.jpg

Jagex doesnt like pures so it shouldnt be a surprise to you that they are taking measures that advantage non-pures

The best combat account should always be 99 everything.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Will be rather nice to use against the marginal groups willing to hunt penguin hunters/trappers/... I don't mind sacrificing a steel titan pouch a week with some scrolls (that and a spec weap, vengeance, ...). Other than that, given that chaotics, barrage, etc is basically overpowered, I don't mind giving the people that earned their way to high summ levels that extra edge, 99 summ has all right to deliver overpowered familiars and to have them be used in pvp situations.

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

Summoning is going to be crucial for non-pkers in the wilderness.

Penguin hunters are likely to be summoning fighting familiars to put off potential pkers from attempting a poke. I probably wouldn't waste a steel titan pouch (5,546 gp) but I would take along a Geyser perhaps (3,887 gp).

Clue hunters might want to try a few different familiars. Meerkats are great because you avoid having to take armour and weapons into the wilderness to fight the mages. However without a Yak you can't send that valuable clue scroll safely to the bank. If Jagex changed the way dismissing works then people might be able to take both and only summon the yak when needed but unfortunatly the current system means you cant dismiss while under attack.

When crafting air orbs at the obelisk people are already likely to be using a bob familiar so in this instance might opt for a teletab in the inventory instead of an extra orb.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Summoning is going to be crucial for non-pkers in the wilderness.

Penguin hunters are likely to be summoning fighting familiars to put off potential pkers from attempting a poke. I probably wouldn't waste a steel titan pouch (5,546 gp) but I would take along a Geyser perhaps (3,887 gp).

Clue hunters might want to try a few different familiars. Meerkats are great because you avoid having to take armour and weapons into the wilderness to fight the mages. However without a Yak you can't send that valuable clue scroll safely to the bank. If Jagex changed the way dismissing works then people might be able to take both and only summon the yak when needed but unfortunatly the current system means you cant dismiss while under attack.

When crafting air orbs at the obelisk people are already likely to be using a bob familiar so in this instance might opt for a teletab in the inventory instead of an extra orb.

I thought you could by going into the Familiar Options and clicking "Dismiss Now"

td2sig.jpg

Will be rather nice to use against the marginal groups willing to hunt penguin hunters/trappers/... I don't mind sacrificing a steel titan pouch a week with some scrolls (that and a spec weap, vengeance, ...). Other than that, given that chaotics, barrage, etc is basically overpowered, I don't mind giving the people that earned their way to high summ levels that extra edge, 99 summ has all right to deliver overpowered familiars and to have them be used in pvp situations.

I agree with everything about summoning advantages in wild except the ability to bank your stuff.

That basically would take away jagex's wild motto "It's the wilderness, it's not supposed to be safe."

As a fan of treasure trails i'd love to have an option to save my clue scrolls but on the other hand if some other guy who's PKing chooses to bank all his valuables when he's getting owned, well that's just lame and not right.

I think the best way would be to find some sort of a compromise. For example you can bank your stuff with your familiar when you're not skulled but when you're skulled you can't bank...Or something like that.