As of today, players will be able to trade freely and engage in the dangerous, thrill-seeking activity of Wildy PKing! Saving precarious worlds, slaying ancient dragons and delving in chaotic dungeons is one thing, but dare you test your skills against your fellow adventurers? It’s where true legends are born...
WARNING: The Wilderness is a dangerous place where fortunes are won and lost. There are no gravestones and you will lose all items dropped on the floor.
A well organised group of PKers is, without doubt, the most dangerous combat you will ever face in RuneScape, with a range of tactics (and combinations thereof) that would put any boss monster to shame. Do not underestimate the power of the PKer. Only ever travel with equipment you are prepared to lose, no matter how skilled you are.
As great as the risk is, the potential to gain fantastic gear and untold wealth is undeniable. Take no prisoners and fight to the death! Only the wicked and wise will survive.
We have written a few guides to explain to you what the Wilderness is and how it works – a getting started guide, a Wilderness guide and an area guide. We highly recommend that you spend the time reading these before heading north and risking anything. Pay particular attention to information about being 'skulled', as this dramatically affects the items you keep on death. Several items also behave differently when lost on death, so only risk items that you are prepared to lose. Previous tactics of dropping items before death or running back to collect untradable objects will no longer work!
For those seeking even greater risk, try our High-risk Wilderness worlds, where the Protect Item prayer and curse cannot be used.
Several activities (Clan Wars, Fist of Guthix and Stealing Creation) have now been removed from the Wilderness and into the Gamers’ Grotto north of Falador. Please consult the world map or the Game Guide for more details.
The wilderness also features:
* The new, revenant-filled Forinthry Dungeon!
* Improved drops from the Chaos Elemental.
* Faster respawn time on the Wilderness runite rocks.
Members will now be able to stake items freely, up to any value! Free-players will be able to stake up to 40k in a duel.
Free Trade and the Grand Exchange
All players will now be able to trade freely, able to give gifts, and decide what prices to pay for items in both player trades and via the Grand Exchange. Every tradable item will have an associated 'guide price', which is calculated from the previous day’s trading on the Grand Exchange, with a maximum movement of 5% (up or down). The guide price is just that – a guide. Feel free to offer or demand whatever prices you like.
If you would like to know more about trading, look at our starter guide, or the pages on trading and the Grand Exchange.
* Gravestones will still appear if you die outside of the Wilderness.
* Most gravestones have had their timers doubled.
* The recently released royal dwarf gravestone now lasts for 15 minutes.
* All acts of blessing and repairing gravestones have had the cost reduced to 0 Prayer points.
Party Room and Drop Parties
Players can now place unlimited wealth into the party chest and can have drop parties. If you’re worried about your party being gate-crashed, bankers no longer shout about Party Room drops! The POH treasure chest has also had an increase to how much gold they can award.
Quests Set in the Wilderness
If you're doing Spirit of Summer or Summer's End, look for Summer outside of the Wilderness (just outside of Varrock’s north gate).
If you're doing Defender of Varrock or Curse of Arrav, speak to Captain Rovin or Hartwin upstairs in Varrock Palace to be escorted safely through the Wilderness.
Any parts of these quests that are set in the Wilderness will be in safe areas, so you do not need to worry about PKers while playing these quests.
RuneScape Lead Designer
In other news...
The armour repair stand in a player-owned house now correctly reduces the cost of fixing the torva, pernix and virtus armour dropped by Nex.
The Summoning status globe next to the minimap now has a new 'Interact' option.
01-Feb-2011 - Patch Notes
The following small fixes and adjustments have now been made to the game. If you spot any further bugs in-game, please use the Bug Report feature ('Submit a Bug Report' under the 'Help' drop-down menu of the website).
* Two black squares in Trollheim have been fixed.
* Mining wearing a HAM hood no longer causes part of a player’s head to become invisible.
* Barbarians no longer swing two-handed swords with one hand.
* Grass no longer pokes through an imp statue in a player-owned house garden.
* The spotted cape no longer renders through a player who’s lighting logs.
* A tree in Brimhaven no longer gets its canopy removed when entering a house.
* Zombie protester signs no longer snap strangely when the zombies walk.
* The penguin hunting area has had a number of white triangles removed.
* Several agility animations have been tweaked slightly.
* Water no longer clips through the bottom of burning pyre ships.
* Lassoing a giant eagle no longer causes the player to slide.
* Wolves no longer stand perfectly still once they stop moving for a short time.
* The sorcerer's apprentice in Al Kharid has had her animations updated.
* The Lumbridge Sage has had his animations updated.
* The Lumbridge Doomsayer no longer shakes so much.
* A guard in Lumbridge no longer attempts to block using a shield when he hasn't got one.
* Some flickering issues in the Wilderness have been fixed.
* Lighting in the Myths of the White Lands snow area has been updated.
* The combat interface side-stone highlight is now the same colour as all other side-stones.
* Glassblowing while wearing a crab claw no longer causes the crab claw to spin.
* Platebodies no longer stretch when chopping ivy.
* The cabbage-port teleport no longer leaves skillcape emotes playing.
* There is no longer a floating wall section in the Ancient Cavern.
* Bandos godswords no longer have a spike connecting to a god cape.
* The Mining skillcape no longer clips through the dwarf who sells it.
* Swordfish no longer go white when fishing barbarian-style.
* Iron gate opening and closing sounds have been updated.
* Evil turnips now play a sound when ranging.
* As Bounty Worlds have been removed from the game, the three associated music tracks are now unlocked for everyone by default.
Quests and Tasks
* Some grammar has been fixed in Family Crest.
* Stabbing Viyeldi in Legends' Quest now plays an animation to show this happening.
* The corruption beasts in Nomad’s Requiem have had their ready animations updated.
* The slug-infected men in Kennith's Concerns have been graphically updated.
* Goblins in Another Slice of HAM no longer snap into position when performing any animations.
* A cutscene in Monkey Madness has been updated.
* A typo in Narnode's speech in Monkey Madness has been fixed.
* Grammar has been updated in Ratcatchers.
* A typo has been fixed in King of the Dwarves.
* The dragonstone necklace in Gunnar's Ground no longer looks like an amulet.
* The "Mastering the Elements" Task no longer states progress has been made if you kill the same elementals over and over.
* Text when opening the Legends' Guild door has been removed.
* Summer now picks up her doll correctly in Spirit of Summer.
* The Blood Runs Deep requirements have been updated to prevent confusion about the Hard Task requirement.
Activities and Distractions
* Hazelmere will no longer speak common Gnomish when receiving a gnome delivery.
* The Stealing Creation stiles no longer cause the player to slide.
* A typo in Burgh de Rott Ramble has been fixed.
* Castle Wars catapults no longer shrink when set on fire.
* A typo on the Herblore Habitat camouflage gear has been fixed in players' costume rooms.
* Excalibur's special attack no longer works in no-special Duels.
* The area around the minimap in Resizeable mode has been altered to allow easier clicking on the game world.
* The scroll of cleansing will now save the correct ingredients for several more potions.
* The bonecrusher and herbicide now function correctly when using a dwarf multicannon.
* The Herblore skill guide now correctly refers to the scroll of cleansing.
* The Saradomin sword's special attack no longer shows a max hit hitsplat every time.
* The hairdresser's interface now shows the correct text when hovering over certain buttons.
* Familiars will no longer change target when using Summoning scrolls.
* Familiars will no longer perform long-range melee attacks.
* Sending a demon butler away from your house no longer leaves a blank interface open.
* References to gnomes being green have been removed.
* Trying to cook sweetcorn without the required Cooking level no longer informs you about nettle tea.
* The toybox interface has been expanded to three pages.
* If you cast Spellbook Swap (lunar spellbook), then cast Superheat Item (modern spellbook) on jogre bones, you will now be correctly swapped back to the lunar spellbook.
* It is no longer possible to spawn too many energy cores while fighting the Corporeal Beast.
* The dragon halberd’s special attack no longer hits the wrong players.
* A typo on anchovies in the Fishing skill advance guide has been fixed.
* A typo on a signpost in Mort'ton has been fixed.
* The golden hammer can now be used to make crossbows.
* Completing a random event while on a stile in Al Kharid no longer sends the player to Lumbridge.