How Would You Detect Bots?

Alphanos

Yikes...talk about flogging a dead horse. I think we're going about breaking bots the wrong way, really.

As a programmer myself, thinking of ways to implement bot breaking tactics would only lead me down that same ol' arms race. And they'd eventually win, too.

What I'm thinking, personally, is that instead of trying to break the bots, making them pointless would be far easier to implement.

The solution is not simple: Rewrite the game to make redundant, grindable tasks extremely unrewarding as opposed to tasks that aren't.

To my understanding, Dungeoneering does something like this (although there are strong rumors of Dungeoneering bots, I don't believe they have the capability to predict every room with > 30% reliability), but it's possible it can be done on a much larger scale. Adding elements of the game that are repeatable in chunks, then change up depending on the region you're in, thus breaking predictability, would marginalize the efforts of bots. In addition, adding areas of the game that change depending on where you are, what time of day it is, what season it is in your region, what month it is, and what your individual levels are would also play havoc, provided the algorithm for that was never reverse engineered (or changed every other month).

I suppose what I'm getting at - thinking about breaking bots on the lowest level is going to lead right back up to the arms race. Pioneering a way to randomize the rewards from skills we'd get, and making them fun at the same time (Dungeoneering did an alright job with this, then rushers came in - not that there's anything wrong with that, I just feel like those that rush through a dungeon are totally missing the point) would, in my mind, go a long way to resolve the botting issue.

Oh, and reducing the dependency of GP wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Making all of the really good items and armor dependent on one's skills, and making the skills virtually unbuyable would further reduce the point of bots.

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but the resulting game wouldn't be Runescape. Maybe Stellar Dawn will be more like this... I suppose only time will tell.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a dg bot is definitely possible, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the one to write it.

Haha, I can agree with that. Just thinking about the kind of data structures you'd need to use for decision-making.... it'd be a pain for sure.

Edit: Hmm, I guess it's getting late. Sorry for the double-post, I had meant to add the above as an edit to my previous post. However, now that the post is here I don't see an option to delete it.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

The solution is not simple: Rewrite the game to make redundant, grindable tasks extremely unrewarding as opposed to tasks that aren't.

That would be so game-changing I'm not sure the community would be able to handle it. IMO. A lot of people enjoy grinding. Myself included. Still, it's certainly something to think about in Stellar Dawn/TransformersScape/MMO#4.

Personally, I think a new random event every update would do wonders for the system. Oh, and make it so that if you log out you will be teleported somewhere random. When you log back in, you'll be there.

I'm not an efficienado.

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but the resulting game wouldn't be Runescape. Maybe Stellar Dawn will be more like this... I suppose only time will tell.

That would be so game-changing I'm not sure the community would be able to handle it. IMO. A lot of people enjoy grinding. Myself included. Still, it's certainly something to think about in Stellar Dawn/TransformersScape/MMO#4.

Personally, I think a new random event every update would do wonders for the system. Oh, and make it so that if you log out you will be teleported somewhere random. When you log back in, you'll be there.

i'd like to interject, that I'd love if the game moved in such a direction.

grind loving gamers be damned :P

Naaxi.png

I would start hiring Chinese sweatshop workers to detect bots with a couple of manual methods (like forcing random events or whatnot) available to them. A few of them would be then trained to be able to make final decisions on whether an account should be banned or not.

Pros:

• It's humans seeking out bots - humans are better at this than any automated program
  • Less Azns taking up botting (since they get jobs from me, a.k.a. the Jagex CEO, with better pay)
  • Irony!

Cons:

• Expensive
  • Leaves room for human mistake (even if only a few of them are actually able to ban people)
  • Almost impossible to hire enough to cover all of RuneScape, even if money is not an issue
  • Just... impossible to realise anyways.

Erh, well, that was my best shot. Jagex can't win this war unless they have infinite resources to devote to hunting bots. They'll just have to keep guerrilla fighting as well as they can.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

Dungeoneering bots exist.

But last i checked up on them, they were still unable to distinguish guardian doors from non guardian doors.

And subsequently clear every monster from every room.

The reaction time is also very slow, and the bots typically need a delay of about 5 seconds before the bot can decide which monster to attack inside a room.

And the bot was, thus far only coded for GD's and a handful of the puzzles.

And it only worked on solos.

a dg bot is definitely possible, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the one to write it.

but yeah botting is a fundamental problem with runescape, just being so repetitive.

I suppose we use the phrase "botting" differently. Here's what I mean:

When I say "a skill that can be botted", I am implying that every facet of the skill is predictable enough to be automated over a long period of time. With all of the constraints you've listed, I'm pretty confident that Dungeoneering is untenable for botting.

The beauty of Dungeoneering/Daemonheim is that it's so unpredictable, and that it changes every time a new door opens, lies in the simple nature of randomizing a door, and how each room and each door has a different orientation, shape, color, scheme, total number of monsters, total number of resources, etc. Writing a bot to encapsulate every single element of Dungeoneering would be the biggest waste of time ever, right next to building an entire Minecraft nation on a single player map.

Don't have much of a problem with building one or two cities in Minecraft, really. Those take orders of orders of magnitude less time than an entire freaking nation.

Quantify RuneScape, then. Is it just another MMO that's one big grind? There are other games out there that do the exact same thing. Naturally there had to be something to have drawn you to it...

I don't even want to begin to approach Stellar Dawn. I sense platform-MMO hybrid, really.

If you change ANYTHING in the game, the community couldn't handle it. C'mon, the community survived two major nukes - the removal and subsequent return of the Wilderness and Free Trade. I think they'd be able to handle something that'd make the game actually interesting...perhaps...Well, ya never know.

The idea behind a random event though is that it becomes predictable. Eliminate predictability from a task and you eliminate the ability to automate it.

Edited by Makoto_the_Phoenix

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I understand what you're saying, but I for one would be happy with a bot-foiling method that lasts a mere 2-7 years :D.

Those algorithms took hundreds of millions (even billions) of dollars and many many years to develop. I don't think Jagex's pockets are that deep nor do they have that amount of talent to develop something that works that well.

I'd really like to know what other [cabbage] you can pull out of your ass? As a senior level student in computer engineering undergrad, and after taking many courses on security and algorithm enhancement, everything you seem to say is completely false. First off, most data standards are developed to be relatively cheap. That is the goal of data security, to have very little overhead. Next, 2-7 years? Most encryption/decryption methods try to ensure the security against a brute force attack for something like 10^18 years, aka longer than the universe has existed. (look up AES on google).

All that, however, is based on data transmission security, which is quite different than what Jagex wants to do. Jagex just simply needs to detect when an action is repeated repetitively enough to be considered botting. Seems simple, except that runescape is a game revolved around repetitive action, therefor the difference between and a player and a bot is very hard to determine, especially with well programmed bots. Also it is very easy to make bots seem humanlike.

How will Jagex beat this? Simple answer is they won't. Runescape is a game. A game revolved around completing simple tasks. Bots will always be able to complete these simple tasks, and programmers will always be able to make it happen at human like rates. Hell, they are working on bots right now that can be controlled by email/sms. You know what that means? Joe Schmoe could have an office job. Before he leaves for work every morning, he could run some process to start all his bots up for runescape. While he is at work, he can receive alerts on the status of his bots. He can reply to these alerts with control statements to control his bots. At the end of the week, he groups all said cash together and sells for some easy side cash. Likely tax free

You want to know how to get rid of bots? Get rid of the ability to sell GP. How do they do that? Well they could get rid of free-trade, but that cause many players to quit, which was a huge loss on Jagex's part. I don't really understand who has the money to spend on all this RSGP. From my research, that average price a gold selling website charge for 100m is between $50-$100. These sites have billions of gp. Is there really that many people out there willing to spend hundreds of dollars on something that could easily be taken away from them? I guess looking at it from another light, if 25% of rs active players (lets say that is roughly 100k players) all spend $10 on gold, that would be anywhere from 10m to 20m gold person, or 1000 billion to 2000 billion gold, which sounds about right.

wow, covered a lot. Sorry this entire thread just seems to be filled with [cabbage] and ideas that won't work...i'm sure I'll edit this and post more...

EDIT: (told ya)...

Dungeoneering is an attempt at creating something in runescape that is not repetitive, but in the end, it still is. Sure, each dungeon is random, however, like a maze, even something that is randomly generated can be solved. I think it is just merely taking some time for the dungeoneering bots to do the research needed to catch up. Give it 2-3 months, and they will have found out everything there is to know about it. Hell, I was playing with 4 ppl the other day, and 1 of them seemed to do his own thing, and respond very little to any team interaction. One could argue that the person simply likes to do things his way, but his actions were very bot like. Out of 4-5 large dungeons, this "player" would be able to solve many puzzles that require a little bit of though effortlessly, whenever a key was found, they would instantly find that door(without having to check them, like most people do), open it, and continue solving/exploring possible rooms that have yet to be explored.

This player didn't give two shifts about monsters in the room, which actually worked out fine because the rest of us did. He just behaved strangely, and honestly it worked to our advantage. That is what could be scary about a dungeoneering bot. You throw a bot into a group of 3-4 legit players and the bot is able to take care of all the door open, it benefits both. Traditionally bots have always competed against legitimate players, but a bot that helps them out? That could change many peoples perspective on bots in general.

EDIT 2:

I love how people were attacking one of the posters for suspiciously knowing a lot about bots. For one, he was informative and his information seemed to be correct. 2. Who the hell cares if he bots? Can a player that bots have no opinion on this forum? I for one think this said player was one of the most helpful posters in this entire thread? If he breaks Jagex's rules, I could care less about it here.

EDIT 3: I think it is important that people understand that everything has an ID mainly is to improve performance of the game. Could you imagine having to do multiple lookups on an object each time it was rendered to determine what object it is? Next, there is a reason these objects are unique. If they weren't, again, multiple lookups would have to be performed. Next, there in most game development, you create different id's based on the TYPE of object. For instance, everything that could be picked up would be of one type. Everything that involves scenery of the game involves another type. NPC's are generally their own type. All these types can share ID's. But N64jive, doesn't this go against you're multiple lookups and non-unique ids? Yes, but it also significantly improves filtering abilty. There is probably 10-20 max different game-object types. I would assume thousands to 100's of thousands for each of those objects. Instead of having to traverse 2million id's, we can now perform a filter on type (one lookup) and then traverse (another lookup). Also programming is largely based around type. I can make 1 object not compatible with another object by simply declaring different types.

It is late, and I can really feel myself getting dumber as I type, so I'm going to end this here. But you get the point.

TLDR:I would detect bots the same way Jagex is trying to, and I wouldn't be able to detect the majority of them.

w4M8t.png

The point is, due to the way Runescape's Java-based client works, any bot detection methods implemented in the Runescape code are provided in full to bot-writers just by logging on. In order for any bot-detection method to work better than the existing randoms, it has to be a method that you could describe in exquisite detail to a bot-writer, yet they would be unable to solve.

You're wrong. RuneScape also uses a client-server scheme. The bot detection is server-side and analyszes the data sent by your client. As a bot programmer you don't have a clue how the detection works and you focus on a human-like behavior. There are also bots which don't use IDs in the client and focuses on color schemes.

I guess Jagex analyzes each bot around and trys to work on a script to detect each one. That script probably can then also detect other bots which work similiar to those they have access to. A good way to get rid of bots are updates. They could change small things (move a rock a little bit, change a color a little bit, switch IDs, change positionings of buttons and NPCs a little bit). A human-being can easily deal with these changes but a bot would have a problem at that point. So players who can't deal with them are obviously botting. Some of these changes might be possible without updating the game client.

[404] Signature not found.

I suppose we use the phrase "botting" differently. Here's what I mean:

When I say "a skill that can be botted", I am implying that every facet of the skill is predictable enough to be automated over a long period of time. With all of the constraints you've listed, I'm pretty confident that Dungeoneering is untenable for botting.

The beauty of Dungeoneering/Daemonheim is that it's so unpredictable, and that it changes every time a new door opens, lies in the simple nature of randomizing a door, and how each room and each door has a different orientation, shape, color, scheme, total number of monsters, total number of resources, etc. Writing a bot to encapsulate every single element of Dungeoneering would be the biggest waste of time ever, right next to building an entire Minecraft nation on a single player map.

Nothing is pointless as long as you feel accomplished in the long run. There are bots that run Dungeoneering solo, and they run it relatively fast. Between 10-15 minutes a floor.

There is nothing Jagex can do to get rid of bots. There is always a way around the system; this includes everything in life.

And so long as the game is a grind-fest there will be a bot problem.

Stellactic.gif

Instead of trying to detect bots, Jagex should focus on trying to make bots defunct. Run bot killing system updates daily. That would make maintaining the bot way to much effort and soon most of the bots will be gone.

Instead of trying to detect bots, Jagex should focus on trying to make bots defunct. Run bot killing system updates daily. That would make maintaining the bot way to much effort and soon most of the bots will be gone.

Plus it would add more overhead on jagex's part. Most of the updates that occur that kill the bots are just simple as changes to revision number and the like. Thats why you see most bots back it within an hour of an update.

w4M8t.png

What about making the id numbers dynamic? So that the is numbers change each time the client is opened. I'm not a programmer so I can't go into detail how it could be done but surely its possible.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

What about making the id numbers dynamic? So that the is numbers change each time the client is opened. I'm not a programmer so I can't go into detail how it could be done but surely its possible.

player cheater would just be forced to enter the ids of the objects manually. That wouldn't fix anything.

I think that maybe you should all accept that bots have taken over the boring aprt of the game and just get on with it like everyone else ^_^

PVP and a very small ammount of bosses are all that's not botted nowadays!

Theres bots for literally everything in RS, you get temp banned, then rollback, then temp banned then perm banned fpor botting. [bleep]ex dnt even care anymore!

player cheater would just be forced to enter the ids of the objects manually. That wouldn't fix anything.

Every 6 hours account automatically logs out and that means IDs change. Cheater would have to check every 6 hours and change 30? IDs to get it working again, seems to me a pretty hard work. Also most botters are quite childish and want to bot 24/7, not spend many minutes every day trying to figure out ID changes and type them again. I would see this quite effective against most of botters, but not all.

581st to Cooking 99 [June 2005]-------------71537th to Hitpoints 99 [December 2009]

233rd to Firemaking 99 [February 2006]----65875th to Defence 99 [February 2010]

822nd to Woodcutting 99 [March 2006]------95249th to Attack 99 [April 2010]

576th to Fishing 99 [september 2006]-------14016th to Crafting 99 [January 2011]

83541st to Strength 99 [May 2009]----------124340th to Magic 99 [June 2011]

23885th to Smithing 99 [september 2011]--XXXXXXth to Ranged 99 [October 2012]

F2p forever ...

If you bot 24/7 you are bound to be reset/banned...

Sorry not at all true. I've seen pics of bots that have ran for 15+ days! One person was in the top 300 mining exp scores with no other stats except mining. Even if you get caught they temp band you for 14 days before they roll back! I don't know why [bleep]ex changed this? It's good for botters though!

I've also seen completely maxed and 100% botted accs!

One bot, MTA bot, has a record of 10 days logged I think? Thats 99 mage + 100 odd mil. Seriously guys, check out RSC they know about bots. I've been browsing these forums the last few days and you guys seem to be some of the few who know very little about how common/how much money they are/make. I wouldn't be suprised if 95%+ at gardens and chins are bots. Possibly more lol!

If [bleep]ex want to sort this out then they need to make skills less boring IMHO, and change it to perm ban for botting! LOL! Don't even get why they changed it.. And possibly invistigate accs that have been logged for more than 48h!! lol!!!

Every 6 hours account automatically logs out and that means IDs change. Cheater would have to check every 6 hours and change 30? IDs to get it working again, seems to me a pretty hard work. Also most botters are quite childish and want to bot 24/7, not spend many minutes every day trying to figure out ID changes and type them again. I would see this quite effective against most of botters, but not all.

scrape, copy, and paste back into code. Was that so hard? A few minutes work at best and then good for another 6 hours.

The main problem with a dynamic system that is random, when it comes to servers, is that syncing errors go way up in proportion to the amount of randomness. It is also considerably less overhead on the servers to have a static id system than to generate a whole new set for every person that logs in and then go ahead and change some of the ids every update.

Quote - Revenge is such a nasty thing that only breeds more vengeful souls, but in some situations revenge does not even need to be sought out, but only bided.

give every single player in rs the ability to ban other players and just sit back and watch the onslaught

last man standing wins the game

And people wonder why some player mods are corrupt...

OT I just lost the game

lalalasig2.png

Does Jagex actually change IDs for singular objects? For example, you have a room full of spiders, and they decide to change one to mark out bots or something?

Also yeah, while most botters don't actually write their own scripts, I'm pretty sure most do know how to skim the code to change a few item IDs and recompile the code.

Its not even a matter of them trying to stop them anymore. They are obviously using new tactics that benefit them as a company (more money) rather than the population. (us) Then they tell us like good little sheep or simply people who dont particularly care that its to stop bots even though logically when you actually think about it.. it has no effect. The bot owners even prefer the changes. ....When does that benefit 'us' when both jagex profit and the bot owners prefer their new actions compared to old ones? I dont know about you.. but if I was paying membership for a bot I would much prefer to keep my membership costs than to have to buy a new one. As jagex I would much prefer continued membership profits rather than someone stopping completely due to a ban. Even against rwt, those who probably dont pay with real money, it doesnt really effect them in anyway better to make them want to stop.

So 'I' would help stop bots by first start thinking about the population and stop giving more intensives to bot owners or new potential bot owners to bot.

Until they do that.. any other discussing is empty.

Costs money to stop bots - Costs money not to have bots.

Even the free to play model works for them in the long run.. its exactly the same as legit players. Eventually bot owners are enticed enough to switch over and begin paying.

There must been a huge boost in membership both from legit and botters during return freetrade. Morals is the only thing that keeps them stopping them on mass.. but if they are really difficult to stop.. then why not just profit from them instead. (I dont agree with this but a company would.) Their only motive to actually partially stopping them is because if they literally did nothing then the game would crash hard due to losing many legit players and their money.

The point is, due to the way Runescape's Java-based client works, any bot detection methods implemented in the Runescape code are provided in full to bot-writers just by logging on. In order for any bot-detection method to work better than the existing randoms, it has to be a method that you could describe in exquisite detail to a bot-writer, yet they would be unable to solve.

You're wrong. RuneScape also uses a client-server scheme. The bot detection is server-side and analyszes the data sent by your client. As a bot programmer you don't have a clue how the detection works and you focus on a human-like behavior. There are also bots which don't use IDs in the client and focuses on color schemes.

I guess Jagex analyzes each bot around and trys to work on a script to detect each one. That script probably can then also detect other bots which work similiar to those they have access to. A good way to get rid of bots are updates. They could change small things (move a rock a little bit, change a color a little bit, switch IDs, change positionings of buttons and NPCs a little bit). A human-being can easily deal with these changes but a bot would have a problem at that point. So players who can't deal with them are obviously botting. Some of these changes might be possible without updating the game client.

I mentioned this earlier, but any purely server-side bot detection is by its nature quite limited. Sure, you can detect click patterns, timing, etc this way, but bot writers can randomize this fairly easily. Anything that players actually interact with, such as random events, etc, must have at least some code on the client side where bot writers can sift through it.

Some form of frequent, yet easy-to-develop update is sounding like one of our best bets.

The trick here would be getting this to work in such a way that the Runescape client can easily adapt to the shifting ID numbers, but so that the bot cannot use the same technique as the client itself to shift and understand the new ID number pattern. If this hurdle could be overcome, this would strike a huge blow to bots.

A lot of the past page or so seems to be focusing on doom-and-gloom, "we've already lost" attitudes. This is an inherently difficult problem, but I think there's at least potential to do better than what currently exists.

Some of the most promising ideas so far:

1) New styles of random events, such as captchas, which are hard for computers to solve and which do not have the answer stored in client code. Pros: one of the most common ways to detect people vs. computers. Cons: Arguably more annoying, and any captcha that consistently beats a computer will also beat some real people as well.

2) Provide more player-usable tools which can break bots. Pros: Allows the playerbase to adapt to counter adapting bots. Cons: Limited effective scope/reach, also players as a whole make so many bad reports that few of the caught bots will get dealt with permanently due to the low signal to noise ratio.

3) Regular new random events. Every month or two, add a new random event to the mix, which bots will not yet have solved. Pros: More work for bot writers, may catch some bots with the update. Cons: If they haven't already, bot writers will quickly learn to make their bots only login if the client version matches what they were written to work with, thus preventing the botters from being caught until the bot is updated.

4) Regular ID/etc changes with each login. Pros: Potentially breaks a lot of bots out there. Cons: Would be very difficult to setup in a way that prevented bots from adapting and reading from the same "table" (or whatever system used) that the client itself adapts from.

Unless the primary difficulty with #4 can be solved, I think the greatest potential lies with #1 and #2. For the first item, what types of problems, similar to captchas, exist which are inherently difficult for computers to solve, but easy for humans? Note that it must be a type of problem that can be displayed to the user, without the client needing to know the answer in advance. For the second item, what changes to the reporting system could be developed to distinguish legitimate botting reports from the countless over-eager false reports?

One idea for the second item would be to revise the reporting system to record more data, so that Jagex employees can watch a few minutes of Runescape events surrounding the player in question, allow the reporting player to write some comments/description of what to look for, and developing a internal reporter-score for each player. This score would record the ratio of good to bad reports by that player (maybe just for things like botting?), and players who consistently correctly identify bots could have their reports looked at sooner and/or more closely in the future.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Sorry not at all true. I've seen pics of bots that have ran for 15+ days! One person was in the top 300 mining exp scores with no other stats except mining. Even if you get caught they temp band you for 14 days before they roll back! I don't know why [bleep]ex changed this? It's good for botters though!

One bot, MTA bot, has a record of 10 days logged I think? Thats 99 mage + 100 odd mil. Seriously guys, check out RSC they know about bots. I've been browsing these forums the last few days and you guys seem to be some of the few who know very little about how common/how much money they are/make. I wouldn't be suprised if 95%+ at gardens and chins are bots. Possibly more lol!

If [bleep]ex want to sort this out then they need to make skills less boring IMHO, and change it to perm ban for botting! LOL! Don't even get why they changed it.. And possibly invistigate accs that have been logged for more than 48h!! lol!!!

This depends on a lot of factors, but if you bot 24/7 on an account, you will get banned after a while, because my friends extra account got banned. However it takes some time before jagex begins to investigate your case it seems.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

This depends on a lot of factors, but if you bot 24/7 on an account, you will get banned after a while, because my friends extra account got banned. However it takes some time before jagex begins to investigate your case it seems.

That's true, you gotta be silly to bot for as long as you can 24/7.

But still why don't fhagex check when people have logged in for 48hours?? Is it hard?