Should you be able to buy items?

Wkw

Those who don't have the stats can not be rich, nor can they make money in order to get their stats up so that they can become richer.

So the people who are rich now just logged in one day with 90+ in most stats and millions? They had to start somewhere.

You're essentially saying that someone with low stats can't get them up and can't make money...

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, there should be nothing like Micro-transactions within Runescape where you buy items with real cash. It makes it unfair to the real poor in real life. It's one of the reasons I hated LOTRO. I wouldn't mind untradeables based on WoW's Heirlooms .

I agree. Let's kindly keep real-life from intruding on Runescape in a negative fashion.

Same goes for microtransactions, except when it comes to untradeable cosmetic items that do nothing to affect the game except make your avatar look pretty, or are exclusive to a community event. (That mess over flagstaffs, if anyone remembers.) That I wouldn't mind much. More fools parted of their gold is good for Jagex.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

At this point a cash shop selling tradable items wouldn't be that bad of an idea. There isn't any fairness anyway.

Right now if people want to buy gp, they can just go and spend their money on any website that sells it. That money ends up in the pockets of botters and account hijackers.

If Jagex opens up a cash shop that sells the usual items: xp boosts, costumes, power boosts, pets, etc, which can then be sold in-game for money, it legitimises RWT. People will choose to do this over buying black market because no risk is involved. All the money that would otherwise end up in the pockets of rule-breakers would end up in the pockets of Jagex. Jagex who could then use that money to better the game and give us better updates. You can't stop rich people from buying their way into things, but you can choose where the money ends up.

2480+ total

How does making the price high not make it "paying to win"...if anything making it low would make it not "paying to win"....

If you make it high, there is going to be a larger majority that aren't going to afford it. Thus making it exactly "paying to win"...

regardless, it's a bad idea. Loook at EA. No one pays extra for their [cabbage] add-ons that come with the release version of the game (yeah, not even DLC, this [cabbage] comes on disk at the day of release, but you have to pay $10-$50 to unlock the features)....

w4M8t.png

Wow's heirloom is for leveling up your alts so that you didn't need to replace armor/weapon every 2 levels or so. I think you meant the trading card game, which provides cosmetic upgrades for people who are willing to pay money for it, etc. Like 1000 dollar for a spectral tiger mount >.>, seriously, the mount do cost over 1000 dollar in real life.

At this point a cash shop selling tradable items wouldn't be that bad of an idea. There isn't any fairness anyway.

Right now if people want to buy gp, they can just go and spend their money on any website that sells it. That money ends up in the pockets of botters and account hijackers.

If Jagex opens up a cash shop that sells the usual items: xp boosts, costumes, power boosts, pets, etc, which can then be sold in-game for money, it legitimises RWT. People will choose to do this over buying black market because no risk is involved. All the money that would otherwise end up in the pockets of rule-breakers would end up in the pockets of Jagex. Jagex who could then use that money to better the game and give us better updates. You can't stop rich people from buying their way into things, but you can choose where the money ends up.

This I agree with, in it's logic & sense.

This I agree with, in it's logic & sense.

So your reasoning is "If you can't beat them, join them" ?

Let's set aside the moral/ethical issues for the moment and look at this purely from an economic perspective. If Jagex started to offer in-game cash for real-life cash, they would put themselves in direct competition with existing RWT groups. Once RWT becomes "legitimized", lots of people who would never have considered it before would be curious about these other groups and check them out, wanting the best deal. Thus Jagex would be forced to price-match with pre-existing RWT groups. I would guess that the price, both "officlal" and black-market, would fall to somewhere around $0.10 - $0.20 per million coins. This would obviously cause rampant in-game inflation, devaluing vast swaths of money-making methods.

In an effort to combat this, Jagex could offer to directly sell not just in-game coins for real-life cash, but also the actual items that players are seeking. However, this introduces all sorts of new and interesting problems. For one, it would even further devalue many high-level money-making methods, as players could simply buy spirit shields / Nex gear / etc without having to go to the boss hunters. Further, in order for direct item offers to be at all effective in combating inflation, Jagex would have to tie item prices to floating rates converted from current grand exchange values. This now introduces a whole new can of worms as in-game merchanting and price manipulation can suddenly affect official prices of things in real-life cash. Yet another implication is that if in-game items now have official values in real-life cash, Jagex could run into a lot more legal trouble when they destroy hundreds of thousands of dollars of stolen items, rather than returning them.

The only real way to avoid the above would be for all microtransaction-related items to be entirely separate from regular in-game items, and for no direct cash purchase to be possible. However, this means that Jagex would be seen as "legitimizing" RWT without actually providing any alternative to existing RWT groups for players trying to purchase Bandos/Furies/etc.

Looking into the long term, such a change by Jagex would have very far-reaching ramifications. I think the results would be fairly disastrous.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I would actually have no problem if jagex sold items if and only if they were purely decorative and gave no stat bonuses or any in game advantages (besides looking good). But if they started selling unique armor and weapons that give an advantage over other players I would definitely have a problem.

Eat_at_Arbys.png

no. it just defeats the purpose of the game. isnt the point of the game to level up and earn money?

besides IMO anybody whose willing to pay real money for an item either has too much money or no life.

I would actually have no problem if jagex sold items if and only if they were purely decorative and gave no stat bonuses or any in game advantages (besides looking good). But if they started selling unique armor and weapons that give an advantage over other players I would definitely have a problem.

Would have to agree here. What's the point of going out and earning, say, elite armor when you can buy a better set?

On the other hand, what's the problem with buying a useless yet pretty hat with real cash? They've already pretty much done it with that flagstaff, all that's left is for them to do it honestly.

Selling existing items or gold would probably destroy the economy by way of hyperinflation, unless the money was sold by players. It would be like what's happening now, but with legitimacy.

They do this in Maplestory...the 2x exp weekend was also from Maplestory.

The only thing I'm willing to pay for in RS is my membership; anything else I'll just invest the time to get in-game. I mean, it's not THAT hard, it just takes some patience and dedication, which seem to be lacking in all areas of life - both virtual and real - these days.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

Terrible idea. So many other games have "in-game markets" where if you are too lazy too get stuff on your own, you can just buy it. It's ridiculous since kids can just pay money to be good at a game, where as some people who don't have money put time and effort into it. Plus it would just be ridiculous.

I've always hated micro-transactions. All they do is take you away from the virtual world, and place emphasis on using your gains in the real world to further yourself in the virtual.

"Oh hey, I just found this magical ruby dagger after plundering a dungeon for hours and fighting off hordes of creatures!"

"Ha, please. I bought that for 2 dollars already and I got the armor to match along with my own custom signature on it!"

^ That's so incredibly Cheesy and it makes gameplay redundant. Why set up a system to unlock things if you're just going to place emphasis on buying them with real money? Believe me, it's quicker to make 2 bucks then spend hours in a dungeon for some dagger in an online RPG game. Yet, if real money is more efficient than virtual money, why even play in the virtual world for virtual gains that you can inevitably purchase more of with real money?

I personally wouldn't buy anything for Real world money. I never have in other games I play either.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Saw these earlier, you can find them by going jagex site and starting subscription there

Wonder what they upto with Jcoins.

Jcoins.PNG

Jcoins2.PNG

Nukearcher.gif

Ranged 101/99, Str 105/99, Att 105/99, Hp 106/99, Def 100/70, Magic 102/99

Saw these earlier, you can find them by going jagex site and starting subscription there

[hide=Screenshots]

Jcoins.PNG

Jcoins2.PNG[/hide]

#-o :angry: :thumbdown:

Those had better be for their other, non-Runescape games :(.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

It is completely not the case you cannot become rich, with free trade you can make your billions staking without needing a huge clan with bils to manipulate with.

Not everyone stakes.

As for topic, No. Valve did that for TF2 hats and in my opinion was a terrible idea.

Popoto.~<3

[hide=Screenshots]

Jcoins.PNG

Jcoins2.PNG[/hide]

#-o :angry: :thumbdown:

Those had better be for their other, non-Runescape games :(.

war of legends.

(also a good example of micro transactions being a bad idea)

edit: wait, waroflegends has its own thing?

well, if its not for rs/funorb im happy (stellar dawn?)

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!