Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 1st May 2011

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Bernkastel
Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

Read these rules before posting in this thread

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Lose No Hope
[ Display Name History ]

Lose No Hope

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,864 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Lose No Hope
  • Clan:DGS
I liked the first article, it had a nice perspective on why many don't abandon Runescape and what Jagex is doing to keep it that way.

The second article was alright. It got the point it was trying to get across fairly well.

The Observer
[ Display Name History ]

The Observer

Lead the charge

• SwiftKit Staff
  • 12,959 posts
Enjoyed both articles. Both great reads. :thumbup:

j0xPu5R.png

Hawks
[ Display Name History ]

Hawks

The Goalie

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,963 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Hawk0078
Both articles met my perspective and were relevant to the way I play today. Nice job.

BioIce
[ Display Name History ]

BioIce

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

The same reason I did not quit my dead-end job is the same one that people don't quit RuneScape. It is their friends and clanmates. These are the people they talk, trade and play with every time they log on, even in times when there is less and less need to actually interact with other people.

So it's not so much only the content that keeps players in the game but the people they meet and have fun with.

A very good point.
Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

Posted Image

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
Moreover, I think it is increasingly less about the content (besides the developping storylines) bcause it's all a better version of msomethnig that previously existed, therefor more and more about the people you play and compete with... But when even the competition part becomes less and less important, what do you have left?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Lose No Hope
[ Display Name History ]

Lose No Hope

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,864 posts
  • RSN:Lose No Hope
  • Clan:DGS
Friends!

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab
The name article makes me want to rant about immature 12 year olds who pick a new immature username every month, and how you should lose name changing abilities after one offense for a year and should only be able to change names once every like months

Ohwait, just did rant. /endrant

The clan part is definitely true about RS; but really, if it wasn't for other people, how many people would grind as much? I know on single player games that, for maybe some pieces of final achievement, require a similar grinding to RS, I don't do that. No motivation. But in a multiplayer game there is.

I think another part is the more time one has put into RS, the less willing you are to let go.

/ramble

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Viv
[ Display Name History ]

Viv

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired

The name article makes me want to rant about immature 12 year olds who pick a new immature username every month, and how you should lose name changing abilities after one offense for a year and should only be able to change names once every like months

Ohwait, just did rant. /endrant

The clan part is definitely true about RS; but really, if it wasn't for other people, how many people would grind as much? I know on single player games that, for maybe some pieces of final achievement, require a similar grinding to RS, I don't do that. No motivation. But in a multiplayer game there is.

I think another part is the more time one has put into RS, the less willing you are to let go.

/ramble

yea some people change names to redicoulos things...

anyway yea rs is alot of hrs for all 99s or a 200m and then after its just about going for 200ms or just doing whatever u feel like in game...

when i hit 1b exp it will not be that special and when i make it to 2b it will prob have hit at least 50 players + so yea competition not so much anymore but i play for my friends and still enjoy to get exp against people around the 875-930m exp mark.

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

Interesting concept... This asumes the same thing: that the stuff you built up will be there forever...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei
The Run! Escape! article confused me for a brief moment. I actually got the impression that the premise of the article was about why or why not you should quit, when really it was more about personal satisfaction versus modern-day achievements. I read through it twice just to make sure I finally got it XD Maybe if the first two paragraphs were combined & streamlined, this would've been less of an issue, but that's really getting into nitpicking. It was an enjoyable read overall. :)

hzvjpwS.gif

das
[ Display Name History ]

das

The Collector

• Members
  • 7,895 posts
Comparing runescape to a job, is to me - ignorant and misguided at best.

A job provides money to buy wasteful things (more on this in a second), provide needs for yourself and perhaps make purchases that have a lasting effect on your life (a car, a mortgage?). Runescape is nothing more than a timewaste, it cannot provide a source of income (unless you are breaking rules), provide a positive material influence in your life. Runescapes a wasteful thing that is a byproduct of perhaps a job.

You can say friends and Clanmates keep everyone here, but take my former position here at tip.it. I worked here with a great crew of people I enjoyed talking too for the most part, comparable to your same reasons of why I should stick around runescape - the fact is - My reasons for leaving outweighed my awesome staff I enjoyed chatting with. We live in a digital age. I can text my old coworkers from over 6 years ago and keep up with them, I can skype with the staff i liked here. I can chat with my old runescape friends on a messenger. Contact is easier than ever.

I'd to think Sir_Squab hit part of the nail on the head, the other part being the new daily/weekly events. with penguins/assisting/circus - it's easy to get small chunks of xp in no time and log on and do a quick routine that takes no real dedication and doing so becomes a habit.
"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."
Abraham Lincoln

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts

it cannot ... provide a positive material influence in your life.

While it might be hard to quantify it, assuming a person still playing isn't addicted, it could be an outlet for tension and stress, which is an extremely positive thing to have in one's life. The issue is though that most people can't tell the difference between unwinding and addiction, and that's the point where it harms them. That's the point where acheivements of any kind become meaningless, and they should quit, but can seldom see that when it first happens.

hzvjpwS.gif

das
[ Display Name History ]

das

The Collector

• Members
  • 7,895 posts
Anyone can make anything an outlet for tension and stress. Hobbies/Sports/other games/etc. Runescape won't be around forever, and to think it will have a lasting effect after Jagex shuts it down will be hard to quantify for your average player.
"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."
Abraham Lincoln

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
So do you mean to say that the friends you've met through the game, regardless if you're playing currently or not, are not a lasting effect brought about through the game?

hzvjpwS.gif

das
[ Display Name History ]

das

The Collector

• Members
  • 7,895 posts
I'd like to think a select few friendships i've made in runescape and tip.it will exist beyond runescapes existence - without a doubt, I'll concede It's a lasting effect of playing runescape, but it's not mutually exclusive to runescape. However I still wouldn't compare it to a job. The average person requires a job to well, survive in the world. Not the same with runescape.

You can make friends through hobbies/other games. I wouldn't trade the friends I made on runescape for ANYTHING - but realistically you could write the "run escape" article about any video game with a chat function from Black Ops, Secondlife, Wow to everquest. You could write it about any collecting hobby. I can state i've made some good friendships that have transcended the game. but I can also say If I never logged on to runescape again for my own enjoyment (but say for 99 parties etc for friends) I'm fairly confident i'd keep these friendships as they are not codependent with me playing
Abraham Lincoln

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
I agree that it's silly to say that one would stick with a job because of their coworkers or other things like that, but I think the author was driving more at the thought of complacency, albeit poorly explained. And I guess if you look at in that light, the comparison to why someone would stay in a dead end job to why someone still plays runescape doesn't make sense.

I guess I wasn't reading very critically, hah!

hzvjpwS.gif

das
[ Display Name History ]

das

The Collector

• Members
  • 7,895 posts

I agree that it's silly to say that one would stick with a job because of their coworkers or other things like that, but I think the author was driving more at the thought of complacency, albeit poorly explained. And I guess if you look at in that light, the comparison to why someone would stay in a dead end job to why someone still plays runescape doesn't make sense.

I guess I wasn't reading very critically, hah!

Pretty much what I was trying to say. xD

you know I love my friends <3

~Das
Abraham Lincoln

Range_This11
[ Display Name History ]

Range_This11

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
I agree with a lot of your points, Das, but I don't think all of us treat online friends the same way you do. Out of all the online communities and clans I've been a part of, there are only four or five people I have had contact with outside of those games via MSN, Facebook, Skype, etc. and they were all CoD: Finest Hour clanmates (PS2 online baby). I don't typically make lasting relationships with people online that extend into real-life. I don't know why this is, I just typically don't and I don't think I'm alone in doing this either.

I guess my point here is that, for me, friendships made in-game are codependent on my actively playing RuneScape.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

I guess my point here is that, for me, friendships made in-game are codependent on my actively playing RuneScape.

Which is true for a lot of people... Even more so when you ask the peopel that are in a clan already...

The reason I drew parallels it to MY job (and not A job), is that it worked the same for me in the respect of still enjoying the things I do: I enjoyed my old job because of my co-workers, and I enjoy RuneScape because of the people I play it with...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users