Tip.It Times - 1st May 2011

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I liked the first article, it had a nice perspective on why many don't abandon Runescape and what Jagex is doing to keep it that way.

The second article was alright. It got the point it was trying to get across fairly well.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

The same reason I did not quit my dead-end job is the same one that people don't quit RuneScape. It is their friends and clanmates. These are the people they talk, trade and play with every time they log on, even in times when there is less and less need to actually interact with other people.

So it's not so much only the content that keeps players in the game but the people they meet and have fun with.

A very good point.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Moreover, I think it is increasingly less about the content (besides the developping storylines) bcause it's all a better version of msomethnig that previously existed, therefor more and more about the people you play and compete with... But when even the competition part becomes less and less important, what do you have left?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The name article makes me want to rant about immature 12 year olds who pick a new immature username every month, and how you should lose name changing abilities after one offense for a year and should only be able to change names once every like months

Ohwait, just did rant. /endrant

The clan part is definitely true about RS; but really, if it wasn't for other people, how many people would grind as much? I know on single player games that, for maybe some pieces of final achievement, require a similar grinding to RS, I don't do that. No motivation. But in a multiplayer game there is.

I think another part is the more time one has put into RS, the less willing you are to let go.

/ramble

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

The name article makes me want to rant about immature 12 year olds who pick a new immature username every month, and how you should lose name changing abilities after one offense for a year and should only be able to change names once every like months

Ohwait, just did rant. /endrant

The clan part is definitely true about RS; but really, if it wasn't for other people, how many people would grind as much? I know on single player games that, for maybe some pieces of final achievement, require a similar grinding to RS, I don't do that. No motivation. But in a multiplayer game there is.

I think another part is the more time one has put into RS, the less willing you are to let go.

/ramble

yea some people change names to redicoulos things...

anyway yea rs is alot of hrs for all 99s or a 200m and then after its just about going for 200ms or just doing whatever u feel like in game...

when i hit 1b exp it will not be that special and when i make it to 2b it will prob have hit at least 50 players + so yea competition not so much anymore but i play for my friends and still enjoy to get exp against people around the 875-930m exp mark.

StarViv.png

Interesting concept... This asumes the same thing: that the stuff you built up will be there forever...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The Run! Escape! article confused me for a brief moment. I actually got the impression that the premise of the article was about why or why not you should quit, when really it was more about personal satisfaction versus modern-day achievements. I read through it twice just to make sure I finally got it XD Maybe if the first two paragraphs were combined & streamlined, this would've been less of an issue, but that's really getting into nitpicking. It was an enjoyable read overall. :)

hzvjpwS.gif

Comparing runescape to a job, is to me - ignorant and misguided at best.

A job provides money to buy wasteful things (more on this in a second), provide needs for yourself and perhaps make purchases that have a lasting effect on your life (a car, a mortgage?). Runescape is nothing more than a timewaste, it cannot provide a source of income (unless you are breaking rules), provide a positive material influence in your life. Runescapes a wasteful thing that is a byproduct of perhaps a job.

You can say friends and Clanmates keep everyone here, but take my former position here at tip.it. I worked here with a great crew of people I enjoyed talking too for the most part, comparable to your same reasons of why I should stick around runescape - the fact is - My reasons for leaving outweighed my awesome staff I enjoyed chatting with. We live in a digital age. I can text my old coworkers from over 6 years ago and keep up with them, I can skype with the staff i liked here. I can chat with my old runescape friends on a messenger. Contact is easier than ever.

I'd to think Sir_Squab hit part of the nail on the head, the other part being the new daily/weekly events. with penguins/assisting/circus - it's easy to get small chunks of xp in no time and log on and do a quick routine that takes no real dedication and doing so becomes a habit.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

it cannot ... provide a positive material influence in your life.

While it might be hard to quantify it, assuming a person still playing isn't addicted, it could be an outlet for tension and stress, which is an extremely positive thing to have in one's life. The issue is though that most people can't tell the difference between unwinding and addiction, and that's the point where it harms them. That's the point where acheivements of any kind become meaningless, and they should quit, but can seldom see that when it first happens.

hzvjpwS.gif

Anyone can make anything an outlet for tension and stress. Hobbies/Sports/other games/etc. Runescape won't be around forever, and to think it will have a lasting effect after Jagex shuts it down will be hard to quantify for your average player.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I'd like to think a select few friendships i've made in runescape and tip.it will exist beyond runescapes existence - without a doubt, I'll concede It's a lasting effect of playing runescape, but it's not mutually exclusive to runescape. However I still wouldn't compare it to a job. The average person requires a job to well, survive in the world. Not the same with runescape.

You can make friends through hobbies/other games. I wouldn't trade the friends I made on runescape for ANYTHING - but realistically you could write the "run escape" article about any video game with a chat function from Black Ops, Secondlife, Wow to everquest. You could write it about any collecting hobby. I can state i've made some good friendships that have transcended the game. but I can also say If I never logged on to runescape again for my own enjoyment (but say for 99 parties etc for friends) I'm fairly confident i'd keep these friendships as they are not codependent with me playing

Abraham Lincoln

I agree that it's silly to say that one would stick with a job because of their coworkers or other things like that, but I think the author was driving more at the thought of complacency, albeit poorly explained. And I guess if you look at in that light, the comparison to why someone would stay in a dead end job to why someone still plays runescape doesn't make sense.

I guess I wasn't reading very critically, hah!

hzvjpwS.gif

I agree that it's silly to say that one would stick with a job because of their coworkers or other things like that, but I think the author was driving more at the thought of complacency, albeit poorly explained. And I guess if you look at in that light, the comparison to why someone would stay in a dead end job to why someone still plays runescape doesn't make sense.

I guess I wasn't reading very critically, hah!

Pretty much what I was trying to say. xD

you know I love my friends <3

~Das

Abraham Lincoln

I agree with a lot of your points, Das, but I don't think all of us treat online friends the same way you do. Out of all the online communities and clans I've been a part of, there are only four or five people I have had contact with outside of those games via MSN, Facebook, Skype, etc. and they were all CoD: Finest Hour clanmates (PS2 online baby). I don't typically make lasting relationships with people online that extend into real-life. I don't know why this is, I just typically don't and I don't think I'm alone in doing this either.

I guess my point here is that, for me, friendships made in-game are codependent on my actively playing RuneScape.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I guess my point here is that, for me, friendships made in-game are codependent on my actively playing RuneScape.

Which is true for a lot of people... Even more so when you ask the peopel that are in a clan already...

The reason I drew parallels it to MY job (and not A job), is that it worked the same for me in the respect of still enjoying the things I do: I enjoyed my old job because of my co-workers, and I enjoy RuneScape because of the people I play it with...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

At a few points I didn't really understand the first article... It didn't seem very concise.

Basically many people continue to play not because of hollow achievements but friends met along the way?

I partially agree with that. Without friends to turn to for motivation many people wouldn't be here nearly as long. RS friends enable each other to spend more time playing.

When I'm bored - and I mean really bored - and go to watch some crappy rerun on TV, I start to feel like I'm wasting my time since I'm not RS. My general thought is that watching that TV show won't do much, but if I get on RS and do something, even if I don't really enjoy it, it'll add up to some greater total. Before someone takes this the wrong way, I'm not saying that I'm *constantly* compelled to play, rather, when I'm not doing anything anymore productive I feel as though I'm wasting time that could be spent doing something pseudo-productive.

The second article spoke quite a bit more to me, and yet I fear my comments on it will be less.

I despise names similar to the example used in the article. Hell, I rather dislike numbers unless it's like "the 3rd" or "IIIV"... Your RS avatar is a represenation of a person, or maybe even the player behind the screen. Give them names suitable for people! Not something dumb like "Lunch Time" or "Dudemc6". An actual NAME, even if it's abstract, is far better.

RS is probably the most casual widely known MMORPG there is, which is why it isn't taken seriously enough to actually include the "RPG" part. This is a shame, because RS players also have a lot of freedom to roam and wear and do what they want - to make up their own stories. It used to be possible to rope others into doing things like that and gaining more overall enjoyment from it, but nowadays everyone's focused on their own goals and XP and if they're going to play RS they're "not going to waste time" RP'ing. And I don't even mean hardcore RP [cabbage], like making up your own bio and putting all of your actions in parenthesis like I've seen some people do. I just mean roaming an area making up your own story with a small group...

Would you look at that?? The first and 2nd article are pretty much connected!

And here I'm talking about being concise. Here here, it just feels like the attention has shifted from what it feels the game was intended to be (softcore RPG vehicle) to a focus on grinding. Sorry. Maybe I'm arguing the opposite of the first article!

2dgucz6.png

The achievement analysis could've been pretty much an article on it's own when I read the comments here :)

Glad I wasn't too far off when trying to hit this nail on the head...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

I liked both articles, for different reasons though.

Having just invested in my Veterans cape, I've been thinking about why I have been playing this damn game for so long. It isn't because of the reasons given in the first article. See, I work shifts and sometimes from home, so RS is something I can do in the wee small hours when I work a late shift, or when I'm getting my body ready for switching to a night shift. Because of the varying hours I work, and so play RS, being in a clan isn't something on my agenda. I could never commit to something at a certain time, or for a certain time frame on any regular basis. I know that shouldn't stop me, but I don't think it's fair on other clan members. Equally, I have very few friends on RS, as I'm not around all the time. Even though I feel I miss out on a lot of content in the game, there is still something that makes me click on that favourite tab. It's not the achievements, I must be the lowest ranked veteran! It's not the people. It really is that character called Cultjunky. I've invested a lot of time in her development. When she is pained, I rush to make it all better. I make sure she has plenty to eat, a comfortable home and a steady income. I try not to put her in risky situations, and keep her fit. In return, she's dependable. She's always there when I want her to be, eager for a new adventure or some chill out time by a river. There's probably a lot of players out there just like me, quietly getting on with being a RS member, looking after their character in a mundane manner. But I was there when Legolas327 joined, and really have said HI to Zezima. And I'll probably be there when RS winds down.

What's in a name eh? I have to say I've always been CJ and I've always been pleased that I'm the one any only. Unique. But I liked that there were a dozen Gandalfs and a handful of Dark_Angels. I guess you do make an impression of the real life person from their character name. Oh dear, maybe CJ was a mistake, lol. KIDS - JUST SAY NO TO CLASSICAL STUDIES, EMPEROR CULTS ARE NOT FOR FUN.

Cultjunky.png

Necromagus, are you implying that flying poo is not hilarious? :blink:

I changed my name only once, because I didn't think about my name when I created my account either, and settled for one that contained a long line of numbers.

rssig2.png