New attempt to hack accounts!

timmmmm83

WARNING!!

I Just received an e-mail sent by 'Jagex Ltd'

content of mail:

"Dear RuneScape player,

We regret to inform you that your account has received an infraction due to a Major Real World Trading offense. Please visit the appeal section under Account Management to view evidence of your infraction(s) and to appeal any infraction(s) that you feel were unjustified.

To view the evidence please click here:

link removed

Please note: due to a recent bug in our infraction system, some account may have received a void infraction. The majority of void infractions have been removed but cannot ensure that all infractions have been removed. We urge you to visit the appeal section to appeal any unjustified infractions received due to system errors.

Many thanks, Jagex Ltd

Copyright © 1999 - 2011 Jagex Ltd. Jagex, RuneScape, FunOrb, War of Legends and Stellar Dawn are registered trademarks of Jagex Ltd in the United Kingdom and trademarks used in other countries of the world. By using our service you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. "

When I clicked the link, it directed me to a site where I had to login, then I became suspicious and saw what was wrong...

The "link removed" in the mail was in bold and hyperlinked to "removed

Any computer wizards here that can tell wether or not I have a virus on my laptop now? :unsure:

Edited by Y_Guy
link removed

I doubt you have a virus or keylogger. If you feel paranoid you can always do some full system scans with whatever virus software you use. I would also recommend something like Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Doctor, etc.

Also some sound advice: For those scam emails, and easy way to check them is to just hover over the hyperlink and just look to where the link would take you. This is usually at the bottom over whatever email program/browser you are using. You can try it by hovering over the hyperlink in my post.

Also, only sign into RS after you go the Runescape.com yourself, not by a link. icon_thumbsu.gif

Big_Stingman.png

I doubt you have a virus or keylogger. If you feel paranoid you can always do some full system scans with whatever virus software you use. I would also recommend something like Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Doctor, etc.

Also some sound advice: For those scam emails, and easy way to check them is to just hover over the hyperlink and just look to where the link would take you. This is usually at the bottom over whatever email program/browser you are using. You can try it by hovering over the hyperlink in my post.

Also, only sign into RS after you go the Runescape.com yourself, not by a link. icon_thumbsu.gif

Thanks!

I always did check them in the past, but now it seemed legit + I was scared to be wrongfully accused and loose my account... Pretty stupid not to check this time, I know. #-o

Luckily I checked before logging in to that site.

Thanks!

I always did check them in the past, but now it seemed legit + I was scared to be wrongfully accused and loose my account... Pretty stupid not to check this time, I know. #-o

Luckily I checked before logging in to that site.

IF curiosity ever gets the better of you with these suspiciousness links in emails you can always set up a virtual machine and install xp... you can do whatever you want and delete it at the end.

vmware is the coolest.

Fools_Taco.png

Do we really need a thread for each new scam Email?

Yup.

unled2ez.jpg

Damn Wicked, you've been breaking a lot of rules lately, better click all those e-mails and get it all sorted out. :lol:

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Just don't click any links in your email. There's no reason to. The only place Jagex will message you is the inbox on the website. Password recovery request messages are sent through email, but there are no links attached to them.

j0xPu5R.png

lol almost 2k runescape related emails? i played 10 years and received maybe 10 emails...maybe you guys should think why you are getting those? what all places you been throwing your email address...like that Wicked he must have very long cheating career to collect those and very bad memory to forget their account details every week.

I've got maybe 200+ of those mails, no worries, just phising mails sent out from the same mailbot over and over.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

Just don't click any links in your email. There's no reason to. The only place Jagex will message you is the inbox on the website. Password recovery request messages are sent through email, but there are no links attached to them.

Good advice.

But it is not true that Jagex only contacts you via RS itself though, I had several mails in the past from Jagex that were legit. Like the 8realms thingy in Wicked's mail. :eek: btw!

Since it probably involves a phishingsite without keylogger, I guess this can be locked.

Or remain as a heads up, since I'm apparently not the only one getting these. :razz:

Just wanted to mention that while this is common advice, hovering over the link to check if the site's legit is still unsafe. Not the hovering part, but using the displayed info to see if a site's legit. Reason is this: most people assume that you only need to look at the beginning part of the link, i.e. services.runescape.com/etc. However, HTTP allows for usernames and passwords to be passed along in a URL prior to the actual domain, meaning that a truly clever scammer will use legit-looking stuff at the start of a link and pass it to his site as a username.

Example: http:// services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_rs/[email protected]

If the URL is long enough, the scamsite.org part will usually be so far to the right that it'll disappear into the portion your browser trails off into "...". So you'll only see the legit-looking stuff, never knowing you're headed somewhere else entirely if you click.

TLDR: Good scammers can show official site names in your status bar while hovering, or even your address bar, yet still redirect you to phishing sites.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Checked my email, and I don't have any of those scam emails. I feel left out :sad: .

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Also, if you're on the official Jagex login page, you'll see a box like this:

2193027_72046623_3364274.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0R7FMW7AXRVCYMAPTPR2&Expires=1304617997&Signature=bD%2FMt7ZFxF5cMPeu7jRhI86Imq0%3D

ONLY TYPE YOUR USERNAME AND PW IN IF IT HAS THAT GREEN BOX!!

Ehh, proffesional phishers would just buy a cheap sertificate from RapidSSL. insta green box.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

Yup.

unled2ez.jpg

LMAOOO and I thought I was getting a lot of phish emails...

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Checked my email, and I don't have any of those scam emails. I feel left out :sad: .

I don't have any either. Shall we exchange email addresses so we can send each other scam emails?

35b9enp.jpg

I don't have any either. Shall we exchange email addresses so we can send each other scam emails?

K, you first. :shades:

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪