Tip.It Times - 8th May 2011

Racheya

As always, loved your article, Rach. :thumbup:

As Lala mentioned, allowing players who accessed Classic during the re-release not too long ago was a horrible idea on Jagex's part. There are players, myself included, who have been playing RuneScape since its release in 2001. The Classic cape is pointless for us to wear, because it does nothing to show off our "achievement" or dedication to the game.

In all honesty, since the release of the new capes, whenever I've seen someone with a Classic cape on, I am just automatically assuming that they only played during the re-release. I've seen the odd player wearing a Classic cape and wielding a Scythe or Bunny ears, which is slightly more comforting, but really... there is nothing to distinguish the "true" Classic players from the... not.

I don't have anything negative to say about the Veteran cape.

I will, however, disagree with the statement that RuneScape is becoming "CapeScape." Really... I bought the Vet and Classic capes, wore them for a few moments to try on the emote, and banked them. I don't think I'll wear them again, and I'm going to chuck them into my POH when I get a chance. I am driven to get my skills higher, but not for the fact of getting the level capes. I don't mind the color scheme, but I don't have any desire to wear these capes to "show off" my achievements.

- - -

As far as the second article goes... well, I'm all for freedom to express your opinions, but I don't agree with the author at all.

I think it's ridiculous to say that Summoning adds little to the game. Has the author even tried out the Summoning skill? I don't mean to be disrespectful or incite a fight... but really, you should have some experience with these things before you make statements about them.

Summoning gives a huge advantage to combat, but it also greatly affects other aspects of the game, including skilling. Just to name a few important Summoning familiars that have great uses outside of combat:

• Macaw
  • Magpie
  • Spirit terrorbird
  • Abyssal parasite/lurker
  • Spirit Graahk, Kyatt, and Larupia
  • War tortoise
  • Fruit bat
  • Giant ent
  • Hydra
  • Wolpertinger
  • Pack yak

If you know me at all, you'll know that I... dislike Dungeoneering, and I too do not consider it a skill, but I will still say that it's a little... rude to say that if you like Dungeoneering you are a "demanding, shallow customer."

You say that Archaelogy is "detailed, creative and brilliant," a statement that could easily be applied to Summoning, Hunter, and Dungeoneering. Again, I don't mean to incite fighting, but the bits about Archaeology seem like a cheap plug to draw more attention to the forum topic about it.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to say that I disagree with both articles this week, something that I can't remember having happened before :P

Capes of Distinction:

I honestly don't see how not releasing these capes for F2P is a lack of respect. You could apply your argument to any update that's members only - Make this quest f2p, they deserve some respect. Make this skilling activity f2p, they deserve some respect. Getting to play such a huge and diverse game for free is already a lot, and they do get updates every once in a while. I don't see why this particular update should be F2P. There was never a F2P cape with significant stats nor the option of an emote. On top of that they just got Clan cloaks which look really decent. Why would they need another cape now?

Your point that they can be veterans is not really valid either. Of course they are veterans if they have played such a long time. That doesn't mean they should get a veteran's cape. After all, getting 99 in a skill does not qualifiy for getting a skillcape either. It's an additional reward for members so they can actively show off being a veteran. If you want to have it, you'll have to pay.

Regarding milestone capes, I think leaving all of them statless is the easiest option and while you definitely could argue that someone with every skill 90 or 80 deserves some stats, it would just make it more cluttered up with very few gain.

I mostly agree with the rest of the article, not quite with the 5000 cw requirement for the completionist cape as there was a bug with the cw rework which left a lot of people at far less games than they have actually played. It's REALLY unfair if you could get this cape but had to play another 4000 or so games due to a bug.

The recent skills:

To be honest, I have rarely disagreed more with an article on the times. Okay, construction really was an awesome skill, which brought a lot of positives and innovated gameplay. I cannot agree with a steady decline of the quality of skills, however. Sure, if there's real depth in a skill, that's great, but it's very hard to come up with new possibilites to do so. And breadth is certainly not as bad as you make it out to be.

First off, hunter. I am quite surprised you put this as the top one of these three - Honestly, if anything it adds the least depth of those three. It's extremely repetitive and while you may like it for yourself, I doubt that the majority of Runescape would put it as one of their favourite skills.

Then you mention summoning. It may not be as game-changing as construction but it still has affected PvP and Monsterhunting a lot. And it's actually quite fast to train, as gathering charms is not really training summoning but normally done through slayer or other types of MHing.

Then dungeoneering. True, there was a lot of discussion about it, minigame/skill etc. but calling it featureless is nonsense. Obviously you don't like it, but I don't see how you come to the conclusion that it's "lost between the puzzle-like elements of quests and combat". Some of your other points of critique aren't really valid either. There are definitely no players who are excluded because of their skills, Jagex made the creating system versatile enough for that. Saying that people the highscores show that people lack interest is downright ridiculous. It's been only a year, so it's not surprising that there haven't been over 2 million players getting over level 30 dungeoneering. I know quite a number of players for whom dungeoneering is their favourite skill by far.

The level of reality in the skill that you bring up is also kind of ridiculous. First off, the statement in your article is wrong as neither magic nor prayer nor runecrafting have more basis in real life than dungeoneering. Apart from that, it's really completely indifferent. Firemaking isn't better because it can be done in reality too >.>

To finish it off, you are bringing up the archeology skill, which surely can be implemented in a very interesting way if, and if onely, done correctly. It could just as well be a failed, shallow skill, and I can't see how it adds more depth than your three skills which apparently are so failed.

That's it for now :P

Also...

Completely disagree with the point made in the first article about long-time F2P members being given the Veteran/Classic capes to show Jagex respect them. If they really were that 'loyal' to the game they would be paying the minimal membership fee and giving Jagex something back for the game they play.

What if Jagex spontaneously cancelled their membership - which was on a credit card and just renewed itself every month -, but charged them for another two months on the back of that until they made a complaint?

That's why I'm F2P and, as a player of over five years, I feel I still deserve a Veteran and Classic Cape.

I'm sorry, what? First off, why would Jagex do that? And what does that have to do with the discussion at hand? Care to elaborate? I really don't get what you want to say.

If you know me at all, you'll know that I... dislike Dungeoneering, and I too do not consider it a skill, but I will still say that it's a little... rude to say that if you like Dungeoneering you are a "demanding, shallow customer."

I see that quite a few people have taken offence from this, and it seems that they have misunderstood me. First, I must establish that I do not believe in making sweeping generalisations, and would not dream of writing any. I must also point out that I accept that people will like Summoning or Dungeoneering; however, I do not, and I don't believe I need to patronise readers by ensuring I write in a friendly, wishy-washy way at every point. It was an opinion piece, and nothing more.

When it comes to the quote above, I must point out that it does not either explicitly state or imply that people who like Dungeoneering are demanding and shallow, but that Jagex had that sort of user in mind when they created it as they do with most things - the demanding, shallow ones are always the ones who cause the most trouble, and something like Dungeoneering, which attempts to jazz up the normal skill a little, is made for said people. That said, if you like it, it doesn't make you one of them. There's an important distinction. Many of my friends like Dungeoneering, and I don't pass judgement on them, and I do not pass judgement on anyone else for it. Looking back, I think it was quite poorly worded. :unsure:

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Also...

Completely disagree with the point made in the first article about long-time F2P members being given the Veteran/Classic capes to show Jagex respect them. If they really were that 'loyal' to the game they would be paying the minimal membership fee and giving Jagex something back for the game they play.

What if Jagex spontaneously cancelled their membership - which was on a credit card and just renewed itself every month -, but charged them for another two months on the back of that until they made a complaint?

That's why I'm F2P and, as a player of over five years, I feel I still deserve a Veteran and Classic Cape.

I'm sorry, what? First off, why would Jagex do that? And what does that have to do with the discussion at hand? Care to elaborate? I really don't get what you want to say.

Jagex did it accidentally due to some sort of error or something (that was the official statement). As for what it has to do with the discussion: read the posts again. If you still don't get it, read them again.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Hey guys i would just like to report a typo, in regards to the summoning skill.

opted to design a skill which adds little to the game.

I believe the italicized part is typo'd and should in fact be, "a lot".

Cheers just trying to help

icon_thumbsu.gif

Out of curiosity how can a skill that benefits every other skill in the game be a skill that 'adds little to the game'? I understand not everyone will like Summoning as a skill, but it's somewhat difficult to deny it has made a significant contribution to the game.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I've been playing since 2004, been a member since 2006. In my opinion, Dungeon is a mini game.

But that's just me, most of my friends love the skill, and that's fime.

Summon is one of my favorite skill. It brings a LOT to the game. I have used Bunyips and Granite lobsters ever since I could summon them.

Now I can use Yacks. They are the BEST!

Construction, and hunter are ok. Decent skills to train. So, I don't agree at all with the 2nd article,

but did like the way is was written. Was a good read.

As for capes, Racheya, I don't think f2p should have the same 'priviliges' as p2p. Having no stats boost is an option for sure.

( I still have my full rune set, for when I visit friends in f2p ) lol.

Good articles this week, I enjoyed reading.

Both were well written.....Andre

Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

There are definitely no players who are excluded because of their skills,

lol

Give me one example of a player who is excluded from dungeoneering?

Anybody that's low CB?

Wut.

I've seen multiple level 3 skillers who have 99+ dungeoneering. It doesn't matter who you are, you can dungeoneer.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Remember the rules in the first post, if you can't keep it polite, keep it to yourself. I too disagree with the second article, though I do find Summoning and Hunter to be quite lacklustre skills, I love Dungeoneering. Dungeoneering really is a bit of a marmite skill, you love it or hate it, and you have to accept that there will be people on the opposite side to you who have their own opinion.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Remember the rules in the first post, if you can't keep it polite, keep it to yourself. I too disagree with the second article, though I do find Summoning and Hunter to be quite lacklustre skills, I love Dungeoneering. Dungeoneering really is a bit of a marmite skill, you love it or hate it, and you have to accept that there will be people on the opposite side to you who have their own opinion.

Just because it's their own opinion doesn't mean they are right in any way, shape or form.

C1Geq.png

There are definitely no players who are excluded because of their skills,

lol

Give me one example of a player who is excluded from dungeoneering?

Anybody that's low CB?

Wut.

I've seen multiple level 3 skillers who have 99+ dungeoneering. It doesn't matter who you are, you can dungeoneer.

AFK leeching in f2p dung =/= doing a skill.

I read the second article because I heard some cc talk on it, so yeah.

Disagree entirely.

1) Take away construction. You now lose a quick way to train prayer, a few teleports (but you already had these anyway, so what's the problem?) and 1-99 total levels.

2) Take away summoning. You can now no longer stay at any boss for more than a handful of kills. Dragons lose much of their profitability. Many skills become slower, some significantly (mining especially). And again you lose total levels.

3) Take away hunter. You lose some herblore ingredients, which would have to be relocated somehow. You lose some nice, but not-revolutionary items such as equippable harpoons, weight-reducing capes etc. And total levels.

4) Take away dungeoneering. Your kills per hour drops by 0-20% everywhere. You lose access to many nice, but not-revolutionary items such as bonecrunchers, scroll of life etc. You lose more total levels.

Of course with all these skills you would also lose the way you gain xp. For construction, this is extremely boring and repetetive. It is the same for up to 35 levels then another 25 levels depending on your method. There is no random element at all. It is 100% predictable. For summoning, it's repetetive, however since much of the time spent is in combat, it's still partially unpredictable and random. For hunter the best method changes at times but the last ~20 levels are much the same (= 80% of the xp or more). It is however slightly random. For dungeoneering, it's heavily skill-based, very random, and team-based, which is something almost entirely new. The only thing it gets close to is Barbarian Assault (in a sense) but it's complexity and size give it unimaginable depth compared to all previous content.

I might add that many people grow to like dungeoneering after level 70-80.

In short, I think the writer doesn't know what he is talking about. This impression is fortified by the highscores of the account "Crocefisso" which is level 37 hunter and construction and unranked in summoning and dungeoneering. I strongly suggest that you gather some personal experience with each skill you dislike before pointing out the wrongs of said skill.

Back to runecrafting now, fml <_<.

P.S. I really liked the did you know this week.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Just because it's their own opinion doesn't mean they are right in any way, shape or form.

It's an opinion, opinions are neither right or wrong. I never once said it was the 'right' opinion. :unsure:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

When he says he doesn't like summoning that is an opinion.

When he says summoning only affects combat then I am sorry that is just wrong

To be honest it isn't widely used outside of combat. I can't think of many REAL uses for familiars, or times I've used them. I think the only real time I have is grhaaking natures. =/

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

The first article was very enjoyable, and I agree with most of its points.

The second article is just a troll, disregard it. At least that's the way I have to look at it in order to preserve my sanity.

To be honest it isn't widely used outside of combat. I can't think of many REAL uses for familiars, or times I've used them. I think the only real time I have is grhaaking natures. =/

Do you even play runescape? Familiars are used everywhere in skilling. Magpies to gain profit while woodcutting ivies, rock lobsters to get extra fishing levels when fishing, lava titans for a huge +10boost when mining, abyssal familiars that carry essence, polar bears for hunter... The list is enormous, and I didn't even mention beasts of burden, that help multiple skills as well.

crossed_body.png

Graahking natures was very important in runecrafting for money until the multiple runes update afaik.

Lava titans are awesome, +10 levels increases your xp rates by a lot.

All healing familars are nice for things like Pyramid Plunder. A bunyip can sustain you at so many semi-dangerous skilling places.

Bobs, both for regular items and essence, speed up gathering materials, speed up runecrafting, greatly increase staying power anywhere.

Granted it's still a combat skill, but it has the most non-combat applications of any combat skill besides magic.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

To expand:

Summoning gives a huge advantage to combat, but it also greatly affects other aspects of the game, including skilling. Just to name a few important Summoning familiars that have great uses outside of combat:

• Macaw - Forages herbs
  • Magpie - Forages jewellery
  • Spirit terrorbird - BOB and restores run energy
  • Abyssal parasite/lurker - Runecrafting
  • Spirit Graahk, Kyatt, and Larupia - Runecrafting, Summoning, collecting Phoenix feathers (respectively)
  • War tortoise - BOB
  • Fruit bat - Forages fruit/Fruitfall ability
  • Giant ent - Increased yields on fruit trees, belladonna, bushes and cacti
  • Hydra - Regenerates felled trees
  • Wolpertinger - Increased XP and yields on bushes
  • Pack yak - BOB

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

It is always telling of a skills popularity and/or difficulty when it only requires level 30 to reach the high-score list.

See: Your two favorites: Hunter and Construction

I believe what you meant to say is: "It is always telling of whether a skill is a member's skill besides Fletching, Thieving or Agility (i.e. the member's skills that have been around for the longest) when it only requires level 30 to reach the high-score list."

mythrandir.png