Botting in Runescape

Awolo

funnniest thing i saw yesterday.

i went to barb village to fish some food for myself to continue training (i'm a diy, hence i didnt buy it lol) and there were like 30 -> 40 bots jsut standing around. after some watching, i found out that they were fish-pickers. due to all the people/bots dropping their salmon/trout while grinding fly-fishing, these other bots picked up all their salmon and trout, and essentially then banked them i assume. well after some experimentation, i found out that their range of picking up was the mini-map. so being the smartass i am, i lured 30 bots to the black knight's fortress, killing 5-6 of them. t'was fun, and totally free, though due to the new death rules, you dont usually get anything as a drop.

just thought i'd share. :P

:)

bot killing is the best.

WqvZe.png

92 Fishing | 92 Firemaking | 92 Dungeoneering | 99 Cooking

100% FTP | 800+ Total | 19 Combat

Optima dies.. prima fugit. .::. Forever a Harpy

i went to barb village to fish some food for myself to continue training (i'm a diy, hence i didnt buy it lol) and there were like 30 -> 40 bots jsut standing around. after some watching, i found out that they were fish-pickers. due to all the people/bots dropping their salmon/trout while grinding fly-fishing, these other bots picked up all their salmon and trout, and essentially then banked them i assume. well after some experimentation, i found out that their range of picking up was the mini-map. so being the smartass i am, i lured 30 bots to the black knight's fortress, killing 5-6 of them. t'was fun, and totally free, though due to the new death rules, you dont usually get anything as a drop.

bot killing is the best.

such is harpie intellect at its finest

bots are here to stay whether we like it or not. ban one, two more take its place. what jagex should be doing is thinking outside of the box and try to come up with solutions to not fix the game, but CHANGE the game.

why do people bots? to gain experience and to get GOLD. Gold is becoming worthless since theres no many bots bringing it into the game, but still, people need it and people will buy it. what if jagex made your account sort of like your own personal rs? you are your own ge, you are your own source of resources. DIY. if we weren't allowed to trade players. my one billion gp was worth 0 gp to you. if i wanted 99 fletching, i'd have to either cut my own trees or buy my own logs from a NPC. a lot of people will say i'm dumb, but it would fix the botting problem. there's single people with 100 bots going simultaneously generating mass amounts of gp to sell. if gp became untradable, they would have no way to sell it, making it pointless to have 100 bots. if you want a whip, get 85 slayer, if you want rune, get 99 smithing OR you could pvm or pvp to get items. maybe reward people for achieving a 99 in a skill. cut 73k yews for 99 wc? receive a 10% bonus in the resources you cut to contribute to 99 fletching or fm (7.3k extra yews!) get 99 attack, receive a special weapon. keep the loyaltee program to make each account unique. is rs really fun anymore to stand in a spot and skill with no one talking? imagine fishing in catherby and everyone was talking? imagine going to the GE and seeing no bots spamming their gold selling sites or people spamming their merchanting clans.

that's just one idea to get rid of bots but theres so many more and unless jagex does something drastic, rs will continue to decline.

I remember saying something similar back in March. Only problem is that change is resented. :| If the fundamentals change, the game changes, and you have yet another fragmented fanbase.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Free Trade was the RS that I grew to love, I came back and it was here again. It only makes sense that it stays. If Jagex went back to the stance they used to have, we would be in the exact same situation. I remember posting a video about yew bots in varrock.

Knowledge Talks| | Wisdom Listens

~~Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die~~

Vitafides.jpeg

Xbox Live & Playstation Network Name: Trojann2

bots are here to stay whether we like it or not. ban one, two more take its place. what jagex should be doing is thinking outside of the box and try to come up with solutions to not fix the game, but CHANGE the game.

why do people bots? to gain experience and to get GOLD. Gold is becoming worthless since theres no many bots bringing it into the game, but still, people need it and people will buy it. what if jagex made your account sort of like your own personal rs? you are your own ge, you are your own source of resources. DIY. if we weren't allowed to trade players. my one billion gp was worth 0 gp to you. if i wanted 99 fletching, i'd have to either cut my own trees or buy my own logs from a NPC. a lot of people will say i'm dumb, but it would fix the botting problem. there's single people with 100 bots going simultaneously generating mass amounts of gp to sell. if gp became untradable, they would have no way to sell it, making it pointless to have 100 bots. if you want a whip, get 85 slayer, if you want rune, get 99 smithing OR you could pvm or pvp to get items. maybe reward people for achieving a 99 in a skill. cut 73k yews for 99 wc? receive a 10% bonus in the resources you cut to contribute to 99 fletching or fm (7.3k extra yews!) get 99 attack, receive a special weapon. keep the loyaltee program to make each account unique. is rs really fun anymore to stand in a spot and skill with no one talking? imagine fishing in catherby and everyone was talking? imagine going to the GE and seeing no bots spamming their gold selling sites or people spamming their merchanting clans.

that's just one idea to get rid of bots but theres so many more and unless jagex does something drastic, rs will continue to decline.

Wrong? The bots make cash MORE valuable if anything. More increased supply of resources and constant demand allows you to buy more resources for less cash.

Wrong? The bots make cash MORE valuable if anything. More increased supply of resources and constant demand allows you to buy more resources for less cash.

I don't really follow this logic, here or on the other thread. Yes it makes raw resources less expensive than they were before meaning that you can buy them for a lesser amount of gp than before. But if these resources were also your source of revenue then then your income is dropping at the same time. It doesn't matter if living costs becomes less expensive if you make less than amount you did before. And I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it if EVERYTHING dropped down in price roughly evenly, but since bosses are (I assume) not botted and their valuable drops take a loooooong time to saturate the market they've remained high in value. And it's true they have been dropping a bit of late, probably partially due to bxpw dumping, but they're still in a whole other bracket in terms of cost. Once again, it's been this way for a long time, gathering skiills except for rc were not decent ways to make money, but at least people could gather through mid to low level combat. But now that's gone, and the gear required to boss usually includes gear from other bosses which still takes starting capitol that is excruciatingly hard to get nowadays. And for people like me who just aren't good at bossing or pking alternatives are becoming few and far between.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

bot killing is the best.

lmao there are bots picking up after othe bots now - are you [[bleep]ing] serious.

but lol good job in luring the bots - not that short a distance.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Botters gunna bot, cant stop them. Any attempts to do so will hurt runescape more then it will help it.

The only reasonable thing to do is perm ban them

Fixed.

Now, that would also assume Jagex already has the software capable of detecting them... Which they don't.

09144a99bb.png

Botters gunna bot, cant stop them. Any attempts to do so will hurt runescape more then it will help it.

The only reasonable thing to do is perm ban them

Fixed.

Now, that would also assume Jagex already has the software capable of detecting them... Which they don't.

yes they do, they just keep it offline because bots are paying customers

I'm willing to bet they don't have the software. With the quality of most of their recent updates, their lowzy coding, [cabbage]ty QA, and everything else... I'd have no reason to believe their anti-cheat department would be any better.

09144a99bb.png

We've been hearing from Jagex that they are able to tackle the bot issue, but they can't tells us what that is...yet.

On the one hand, I'm hoping that this issue is raised at Runefest, and that there will be some kind of announcement to coincide with the event.

On the other hand, I remember waiting for Santa when I was a kid.

Cultjunky.png

look at it from this angle.

1)don't ban the bots, make an extra 2M dollars but risk losing your legit customers

2)ban the bots now, lose out on some extra money, but keep your legit customers for ever

it's like a geyser vs a stream, at first the geyser seems like a lot more, but eventually it stops, whereas the stream flows slowly, but steady.

1)don't ban the bots, make an extra 2M dollars but risk losing your legit customers

2)ban the bots now, lose out on some extra money, but keep your legit customers for ever

it's like a geyser vs a stream, at first the geyser seems like a lot more, but eventually it stops, whereas the stream flows slowly, but steady.

No guarantee legit players will stay forever, trends change. If anything Jagex may see bots as a more stable investment :lol:

Surely common sense dictates that more legit players will come to RS if present players are content with their game play? At the moment the dissatisfaction expressed by many will be spread by word of mouth, the same applies when an individual enjoys a game...they tell people about it.

As for comparing RS with WoW, they are two entirely different styles of game with different objectives and its only fairly recently that RS has even indroduced the concept of Clans (Guilds in WoW).

RS is a game that is based around quests within an overall story line, a world that is meaningful and you can get to know. It is also a game targeted at enabling players to dictate their own style of game play. At one time they didn't even have '99' capes, so how anyone can say thats what RS is all about I don't know. The whole point of RS is to provide a game of longevity, for players to take their time....role play, share activities, do tasks, quests etc....not power through levels. Unless thats their choice of course, in which case yes even I would find it boring!

35cq0q9.png

i don't realy like botting, it destroys the economy ;).

The herbs and many more items dropped hard in price...

That's why i hate it.

"Destroys the economy" was not a term often used in 2006 when people were thankful for bots lowering the prices of nature runes, flax and yew logs so they could make an easy 99 through Fletching and have an easy way of training Magic simultaneously. Perspective is a wonderful thing.

The only thing bots do in terms of price manipulation is tilt the supply vs demand balance. If herbs weren't so low, all you'd have is people whining because Herblore is too expensive for people to realistically obtain overloads.

3) Ban the bots, raise membership fees by a small amount. Keep the same profit margin (possibly a little bit less). Attract some of the older players who quit because of the amount of bots which would increase the profit. Earn more than you did with the bots. I'm happy, you're happy, they're happy.

Except i'm not sure by how much membership costs would have to be raised to make up for the loss. And i'm also not sure how many people would continue playing if it is, in fact, raised.

I don't know if this is due to bots, but I recently came back to RS and saw that super defense potions are like 70 gp. LOL. I almost laughed out loud (I needed some for slayer) so I bought 1000 of them, something which I would have never done before.

Mari0.png

Mari0.png

I don't know if this is due to bots, but I recently came back to RS and saw that super defense potions are like 70 gp. LOL. I almost laughed out loud (I needed some for slayer) so I bought 1000 of them, something which I would have never done before.

There is almost never a need to use def pots for slayer...

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

There is almost never a need to use def pots for slayer...

Not all of us have 99 defense, bro. And why not buy 1000 when theyre so cheap, that way I won't have to restock in like, a very very long time. Just saying.

Mari0.png

Mari0.png

Energy pots are like 6gp each haha

i don't realy like botting, it destroys the economy ;).

The herbs and many more items dropped hard in price...

That's why i hate it.

"Destroys the economy" was not a term often used in 2006 when people were thankful for bots lowering the prices of nature runes, flax and yew logs so they could make an easy 99 through Fletching and have an easy way of training Magic simultaneously. Perspective is a wonderful thing.

The only thing bots do in terms of price manipulation is tilt the supply vs demand balance. If herbs weren't so low, all you'd have is people whining because Herblore is too expensive for people to realistically obtain overloads.

It has destroyed the economy...achieving 99 in skills that can be easily 'bought' makes them meaningless now. In the days of high priced raw materials, I was mostly self sufficient and enjoyed playing the game based on an overall approach to levelling, in other words getting 99 wasn't my total aim, playing the game was. I also made some great profit from selling raw materials.

Nowadays it just seems that players think that getting 99 is all the game is about. The excessive use of bots has only made this worse, now people think I am 'weird' when I proudly state that I am getting 99 farming without spending gp and they ask " isn't that taking like forever!" Well yeah so what? Its a great personal achievement!. =D>

35cq0q9.png