We're back!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with DarkDude, being transparent and providing as much possibly information regarding the leaking of info would be nice especially information regarding the stolen backups.

Low_C.png

Or you could not keep posting the same thing over and over again and let someone who does know answer the question.

I agree with DarkDude, being transparent and providing as much possibly information regarding the leaking of info would be nice especially information regarding the stolen backups.

And we're trying to be. It's not as if we're sitting back and stroking our beards going, "Ha ha! They'll never know!"

Someone who knows more specific information will likely respond as soon as they can, and that will likely be Peter or another admin. (Edit: if there's even anything more to share! I just don't know!) But until then, as Y_Guy said, assume a few years. And in the mean time, try not to jump down his throat--he's only trying to help as much as he can. As much as most of the staff can, since it was all thanks to the techs that you're even seeing the forums right now!

The question won't get dusted aside, so let's all just get along :P

I am secretly using my h4xing pr0wess to be in ur baes, destroyin yer emailz.

hzvjpwS.gif

Oh i have no quarrels with the admins handling the situation, it could happen and it has happened to most of the fan sites. The password I used here on tip.it isn't linked to any of my current accounts luckily, but i'm not sure about my previous passwords which could be in back-ups which is why i was worried.

Low_C.png

Glad to have the forums back! I don't know how many times I ended up checking them over the past few days. Thanks to the Admins for working so hard on getting things back up. :thumbup:

Yes! Now I can back to getting my TiF fix via harpy blog and Forum Games.

Although, there is a possible chance that this won't be the last time Tip will get hacked and downed again like this, can it?

I don't think it could ever be guaranteed to never happen again but I'm sure the Admin team is continuing to do their best in preventing it in any way that they can.

Yeah, I had the same fear. I went through everything I could think of to change passes and tighten my personal security. It's unsettling for sure, but after I did it I felt better.

Like for instance, I didn't know I could set up 2-step verification with a landline. That was an awesome discovery for me XD

hzvjpwS.gif

The simple fact is that while one of the tech admins may know exactly what backups we had, there's no real way to tell what backups were actually taken by the hackers. That's why, as I've said many times previously, the safest bet is to assume that any and all information you had on these boards over the past few years was compromised.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

The simple fact is that while one of the tech admins may know exactly what backups we had, there's no real way to tell what backups were actually taken by the hackers. That's why, as I've said many times previously, the safest bet is to assume that any and all information you had on these boards over the past few years was compromised.

You've reiterated this statement 3 times chief. It means nothing, i could say the same thing about any hacking just because it covers my ass as a blanket statement. Instead of responding to questions with such a statement why not try to contact the tech admins who can answer the forum user's questions thoroughly.

Low_C.png

You've reiterated this statement 3 times chief. It means nothing, i could say the same thing about any hacking just because it covers my ass as a blanket statement. Instead of responding to questions with such a statement why not try to contact the tech admins who can answer the forum user's questions thoroughly.

We're workin' on it now, they're just all quite busy getting everything back up and running at the moment. I'll make sure one of them takes a moment to stop by though. :)

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png
Owner of the Quest Point Cape

It seems some people are a bit aggravated over their lack of tip.it as of late. You want to know why he's repeating himself? Because what he said covers what you need to know. Period. When he says everything, he means EVERYTHING. The information you're looking for isn't going to be on hand by everyone, so to keep targeting him after he's given quite a sufficient answer is just rude.

And the whole "You've said that 3 times now" ordeal. Ok, yeah, he did. But he shouldn't have to. You're forcing him to by constantly targeting him for giving the right answer. Just because it doesn't fit your exact desires for a response and isn't fleshed out to hold your hand doesn't mean that you have to bite his head off. Seriously.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

It seems some people are a bit aggravated over their lack of tip.it as of late. You want to know why he's repeating himself? Because what he said covers what you need to know. Period. When he says everything, he means EVERYTHING. The information you're looking for isn't going to be on hand by everyone, so to keep targeting him after he's given quite a sufficient answer is just rude.

And the whole "You've said that 3 times now" ordeal. Ok, yeah, he did. But he shouldn't have to. You're forcing him to by constantly targeting him for giving the right answer. Just because it doesn't fit your exact desires for a response and isn't fleshed out to hold your hand doesn't mean that you have to bite his head off. Seriously.

I didn't ask for anything from him, i asked for information from someone who knows what is going on, like maybe Peter or Puremage. Transparency has been an issue with this site and many have left due to it.

Low_C.png

I didn't ask for anything from him, i asked for information from someone who knows what is going on, like maybe Peter or Puremage. Transparency has been an issue with this site and many have left due to it.

What exactly do you hope to do with this information? How does it possibly benefit you to know exactly which backups were taken?

I've repeatedly said we're operating under the assumption that they have access to anything and everything related to this forum going back multiple years. I don't understand why you're so adamant to have specific but ultimately useless information...

polvCwJ.gif

But this isn't a matter of transparency. His answer is MORE than sufficient, and that's all that really matters. I mean, it's the first day tip.it is back up. The admins are going to be crazy busy. Expecting them to bow to your whims so soon is just illogical.

EDIT: Y_Guy, I think it's just them trying to find a reason to be mad at something, and since you can provide said useless information, or an admin hasn't yet, they need to rage over nothing. That's how it looks to me anyway.

Edited by ieyfura

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

I didn't realize asking to know what exact information that was compromised was a difficult request. I apologize if I created more work.

It's impossible to know unless you could hack the hacker's computer. Hence, why it is to be assumed everything and anything on tip.it and it's databases has been compromised.

Lqt9R.png

I didn't realize asking to know what exact information that was compromised was a difficult request. I apologize if I created more work.

It's not difficult at all. What I'm saying (and have been for several pages) is that we don't know for certain.

I would love to be able to say to you "they took exactly this from this date and did this with it", but I can't do that, and I rather doubt the tech admins can either.

So, we're doing the next best thing and letting you know that you should consider everything to be compromised because we can't verify that certain things haven't been compromised.

polvCwJ.gif

Simply put, if you haven't changed your password in the last 3 years, you should be slightly more concerned for your account security if you do not change your password.

This is because the forum was using phpbb2 up to some point in 2009, and then we switched to IPB, which uses different security measurements. If the attackers had access to server files, then they could have had access to databases, but extracting passwords from these databases is an entirely different thing, and depends on the forum software used when backups were made.

Regardless, changing and improving your password will help settle your mind if you're having any doubts.

I wish this comment had a like button. <3: You said everything better than I could've. I'll add my own thoughts even then.

To the people demanding 'greater transparency' in the form of divulged info. The lack of certainty over the issue at this time isn't descriptive of a lack of transparency, far from it. He's given you all he knows, and the things he's asked you to assume about your account security is, in itself, sound advice. So why are you wasting time hounding someone who's literally given you a sufficient answer, when you could be pro-active, and change all the passwords for the accounts you know were linked to your tip.It account? Change the password for your e-mail if it matches one of your Tip.it passwords; do the same for the others.

Tip.it admins aren't there to bend over hand and foot at your every whim. Be patient, in the mean-time, do something to make yourself secure. You have no excuse not to; Tip.it has already done what has needed to be done to ensure that accounts here are secure. They have no responsibility to extend that anywhere else. Don't use the same password for each site, which is the reason I assume you're even asking for that specific info. Instead, use your browser's Password Manager to remember your logins. If an off-site account was compromised, that's the intruders' fault, and yours, not Tip.it's for not informing you so you could change the password to one that isn't the same as another.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Why was tip.it hacked? That one mention of tip.it times in the botting newspost?

These cheaters are getting ruthless...

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg