2011 Golden Joystick Awards

lordkafei

WTF is World of Tanks and why does everyone keep saying that the Golden Scythe has something to do with the GJA?

It's just speculation that the Golden Scythe is connected to the GJA. It appeared in the POH toybox the update before the awards were given out and has "Golden" in it's name so it wasn't much of a leap.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I can summarize this with the following funny statement (if it's done before already, kudos :))

Ok, here goes:

WoT? LoL!

Win. This summarizes the reaction of everyone who expected Jagex to win lol.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

WTF is World of Tanks and why does everyone keep saying that the Golden Scythe has something to do with the GJA?

It's just speculation that the Golden Scythe is connected to the GJA. It appeared in the POH toybox the update before the awards were given out and has "Golden" in it's name so it wasn't much of a leap.

Adding onto the fact that the previous year we received the Golden Cracker, a gold version of an old holiday item, for their 1st place at the GJA's. It followed in the same pattern to the T.

hzvjpwS.gif

So what will all the people who voted against runescape do if, double enfises on if, jagex's update on tuesday really does nuke bots and make ft playable again?

I could see the pr reps in jagex tower crying at their desks because they didn't finish it a week sooner.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

So what will all the people who voted against runescape do if, double enfises on if, jagex's update on tuesday really does nuke bots and make ft playable again?

RuneScape's F2p content still pales in comparison to LoL, so even if people chose not to vote because of bots, LoL still deserves the win.

I think I can summarize this with the following funny statement (if it's done before already, kudos :))

Ok, here goes:

WoT? LoL!

XD! That made me laugh in real life haha!

Ok, here goes:

WoT? LoL!

XD! That made me laugh in real life haha!

*just finally got the joke*

*feels like a total idiotic nub*

:wall:

Looking forward to seeing jagex put a banner on front page.

#3rd best f2p mmorpg woot!

-

Im just glad I played this game when I did before this current state. Got my rank - Enjoyed it - Would /want/ to continuing enjoying it but unfortunately it doesnt seem like they will do that. (Continued front page posts about banning bots or wtf with glaring lies - Nothing changes. New ideas about buying xp or ingame benefits..? etc.. Its disappointing.)

Am glad they didnt win. Certainly didnt deserve it. Shame for the community though. However this reward is directed at jagex and not us. They can pretend to be proud of #3rd if they want. (Considering they won #1st twice in a row previously.)

On the otherhand.. There should be a rule that they cannot offer ingame benefits when entering this competition. (That involves the 'rival' competition.) Seems like its just going to go crazy next year with ingame benefits to try make jagex win maybe. Thats...to be expected in current climate/game direction...Its lame though and disappointing. Against what the trophy or wtf is meant to represent.

Am glad they didnt win. Certainly didnt deserve it. Shame for the community though. However this reward is directed at jagex and not us. They can pretend to be proud of #3rd if they want. (Considering they won #1st twice in a row previously.)

They went from winning best UK developer twice in a row to placing third in best free MMO worldwide. It's still a victory for them, they came behind everyone's new favorite MMO and a game that's popular everywhere that theirs isn't.

To be a bit off-topic on the usual Jagex bashing, but am I the only one who's appalled that several designers promised items and/or XP for votes?

That goes against everything voting stands for. Voting is done out of accordance or a sign of good work for your votee, not out of the prospect you'll personally get stuff for it.

Call Jagex what you want, at least they didn't try to bribe players with rewards.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Indeed, Unknown! There's no harm in asking players for votes, but providing rewards is different. That's probably why a game most people haven't heard of (I played the BETA - not my kind of game!) came 2nd. Possibly a large reason why LoL won, also.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Not surprised. I DID NOT vote for RS. I voted League of Legends.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

To be a bit off-topic on the usual Jagex bashing, but am I the only one who's appalled that several designers promised items and/or XP for votes?

That goes against everything voting stands for. Voting is done out of accordance or a sign of good work for your votee, not out of the prospect you'll personally get stuff for it.

Call Jagex what you want, at least they didn't try to bribe players with rewards.

Well said. In fact, if Jagex promised some sort of rewards to the players if they won the GJA, I probably would have bothered voting for them.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Indeed, Unknown! There's no harm in asking players for votes, but providing rewards is different. That's probably why a game most people haven't heard of (I played the BETA - not my kind of game!) came 2nd. Possibly a large reason why LoL won, also.

LoL seems pretty popular actually, so I wasn't surprised they got 1st. A lot of people at my college play it.

World of Tanks on the other hand...

LoL seems pretty popular actually, so I wasn't surprised they got 1st. A lot of people at my college play it.

Popular as it may be, Den, the voting is really questionable considering the rewards offered if they won.

It would be hugely different if Jagex had of offered a reward.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Popular as it may be, Den, the voting is really questionable considering the rewards offered if they won.

not at all.

runescapers were inclined already with an offered reward.

LOL invite? PM me :)

nosailing.png

Maxed Kitten.png

Wait, what reward? I wasn't aware of any announcements about a reward for voting.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

[hide=]

[/hide]

not at all.

Hurrrrrr...

What reward? I agree with Newb, it would have been a huge difference if a reward was part of the formula. I would've bothered voting if I knew I would have gotten something out of it, honestly. But Jagex didn't bother bribing their players, just gave a few reminders to support them in the (entirely superficial) Golden Joystick Awards. Even without bribery, they still got in 3rd which is a pretty respectable place, all things considered.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

New Vegas RPG of the year and LoL winning? HA everything I wanted from the awards. But honestly, I don't know how LoL does it, but I WANT SO MANY CHARACTER SKINS URGHHH

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

[hide=]

[/hide]

not at all.

Hurrrrrr...

What reward? I agree with Newb, it would have been a huge difference if a reward was part of the formula. I would've bothered voting if I knew I would have gotten something out of it, honestly. But Jagex didn't bother bribing their players, just gave a few reminders to support them in the (entirely superficial) Golden Joystick Awards. Even without bribery, they still got in 3rd which is a pretty respectable place, all things considered.

Sorry Sword? Mind showing me where, please?

I didn't see "vote and you'll get..." or "If we win, this could be yours!" or anything of the sort. It was just asking for votes; with the possiblity (following the previous two years) of receiving an in-game item (Nothing confirmed), as it would only be followin suit.

If they had of said "If we win, you'll get a double XP weekend!"...It would have won. You and I know that.

Bribing the players is one thing - people believing it went down legitimately even with bribes is just crazy.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

New Vegas RPG of the year and LoL winning? HA everything I wanted from the awards. But honestly, I don't know how LoL does it, but I WANT SO MANY CHARACTER SKINS URGHHH

New Vegas surprised me. Granted, I haven't played it, but wasn't it so buggy that it was unplayable? It looks like it was just the most mainstream of the options - The rest of the games look like they just have their specific niches, and those niches don't overlap with GJ voters :razz:

I could be wrong though, as I said, I haven't played NV.