01-Dec-2011 Behind the Scenes - December

Saradomin_Mage

After just finishing ME1 and 2, I know navigating through chat with spacebar will certainly feel a lot more...natural?

I would assume when you get multiple options it forces you to click, though it would be interesting if it automatically selected whatever your mouse was hovered over. Would make things like repairing pouches a little easier :thumbup:

// Unnecessary dbaggery//

So yeah it was specified:

space = click to continue

numbers = options

Good to know. I suppose I should actually read the updates in their entirety before making comments. Truthfully, I didn't care too much about this particular update and obviously did not read through it that closely, but seeing as I had just finished ME and how people were talking about using the spacebar to skip text, I drew the connection and made some speculations.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do quests just to finish them, and any potential unlocks

I'm happy about it

That's fine for you...but there are too many people out there who do that and then complain how bad the quest was or that they're stuck somewhere. Skipping dialogues is fast enough atm, no need to make it faster.

This tangent is quite odd anyway, nothing in BTS remotely implied chat would be made quicker.

Simply that instead of clicking you'd be able to use numbers/space if you so wished.

You can even hold down the space bar to fast-track through conversations.

Sounds to me like that's making it quicker.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I do quests just to finish them, and any potential unlocks

I'm happy about it

That's fine for you...but there are too many people out there who do that and then complain how bad the quest was or that they're stuck somewhere. Skipping dialogues is fast enough atm, no need to make it faster.

This tangent is quite odd anyway, nothing in BTS remotely implied chat would be made quicker.

Simply that instead of clicking you'd be able to use numbers/space if you so wished.

You can even hold down the space bar to fast-track through conversations.

Sounds to me like that's making it quicker.

You can spam click where continue appears to fast-track through conversations.

So to me it just sounds like holding space = "clicking" asap on each new screen until you hit options or end of dialogue.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

So to me it just sounds like holding space = "clicking" asap on each new screen until you hit options or end of dialogue.

Problem at the moment however is it's sometimes possible to click through the chat box, making you run to whatever spot is under the chat area. This in turn breaks the conversation and also makes you have to go through all the chat again. Space/numbers won't have that problem.

Problem at the moment however is it's sometimes possible to click through the chat box, making you run to whatever spot is under the chat area. This in turn breaks the conversation and also makes you have to go through all the chat again. Space/numbers won't have that problem.

Can't say I've ever come across that, yes you can click throuhg the normal chat box (which has a toggle option anyway in graphics) but you've never been able to clikc through dialogue screens. Click out yeah, but clikc through? In all my years on rs I've never had that happen.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Can't say I've ever come across that, yes you can click throuhg the normal chat box (which has a toggle option anyway in graphics) but you've never been able to clikc through dialogue screens. Click out yeah, but clikc through? In all my years on rs I've never had that happen.

I've had it happen quite a bit.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

From my experience, it's due to lag. You lag before the next part of the dialogue shows up, you click where the "continue" part is, and it registers as you clicking under the chat.

Makes me raage.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

From my experience, it's due to lag. You lag before the next part of the dialogue shows up, you click where the "continue" part is, and it registers as you clicking under the chat.

Makes me raage.

Exactly like this, and there's nothing more infuriating.

hzvjpwS.gif

I want to do RotM before this. Ill probably end up spam spacing if I don't.

Anyone else think you might be able to select quest options before you should be able to see the with this numbers thing?

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I'd wager that the vast majority of questions already asked on the RSOF from people seeking help for quests, results from someone not reading the quest chat conversation and knowing what they need to do next (which is usually solved by looking at the Quest Journal).

I shudder to think what the Quest Help section of the RSOF is going to look like after they allow people to spam click the space bar through every conversation ...

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

I shudder to think what the Quest Help section of the RSOF is going to look like after they allow people to spam click the space bar through every conversation ...

People already don't read it. And most of these people who don't read I would imagine tend to use guides...

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

WASD controls wouldbe interesting to impliment, though I think I'd rather stick to my mouse. :3

Hotkeys for prayers and items may be released soon if Jagex keep this trend up, I definitly hope so!

May need to combine with other keys, for example tab+wasd

People already don't read it. And most of these people who don't read I would imagine tend to use guides...

I have to admit, when I first got P2P I went mad wanting to complete all the quests as quickly as possible and went for the guides (of course, I was also checking to make sure the guides here were accurate the time and updated a few hehe). But when the Branches of Darkmeyer, the Ritual of the Mahjarrat, and One Piercing Note came out, I felt compelled to not read a guide for once and just go through the dialogue, probably because of the fact these quests were so long awaited for.

Now, if it was a quest like One Small Favour... *Shudders.* That I can understand using the speed-through for.

I'm not sure if I would like to see WASD controls introduced to RuneScape... Got used to just clicking around for movement, but I suppose it wouldn't make that huge of a difference. Unfortunately, that means more keyboard mashing, and I did enough of that on WoW haha. :(

I read all the dialog, and only use guides for when puzzles really anger me (ME2 comes to mind). I used to use guides for everything, but i really enjoy the stories so I read those. But a lot of people just want the reward so.. they power through it. Then get mad when they don't know what to do next because they weren't paying attention in the first place.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Same here...I used to use guides when I first decided I eventually wanted to have all quests done(There were still over 100 left at that point). Eventually, I left out the walkthroughs and just looked up the required items, because it was often so frustrating to run back to a bank just to get a spade etc. But then I found those items often gave me too big hints about how some puzzle had to be solved and eventually I didn't use any guides anymore. Don't regret it - Especially after EWIII and MEPII, having those puzzles solved for myself felt great :)

I can say I'm very disappointed Jagex got rid of the questhelp system - Imo it was the perfect system for a quest guide without spoiling much of the quest. If you were really stuck, you could use it and would know what to do...but you couldn't use it to get through the entire quest, and there would be nothing that would be accidentally spoiled to you. Shame they didn't go on with that, but I guess it wasn't used enough. I wonder how the quest guides on JagexWiki look like....*shudder*

Same here...I used to use guides when I first decided I eventually wanted to have all quests done(There were still over 100 left at that point). Eventually, I left out the walkthroughs and just looked up the required items, because it was often so frustrating to run back to a bank just to get a spade etc. But then I found those items often gave me too big hints about how some puzzle had to be solved and eventually I didn't use any guides anymore. Don't regret it - Especially after EWIII and MEPII, having those puzzles solved for myself felt great :)

I can say I'm very disappointed Jagex got rid of the questhelp system - Imo it was the perfect system for a quest guide without spoiling much of the quest. If you were really stuck, you could use it and would know what to do...but you couldn't use it to get through the entire quest, and there would be nothing that would be accidentally spoiled to you. Shame they didn't go on with that, but I guess it wasn't used enough. I wonder how the quest guides on JagexWiki look like....*shudder*

The trouble was quest help system was it didn't help all that much. Until you got the the top level spoilery hints it basically just re-stated what the in-game quest guide tells you anyway, so it was far more productive (and faster) just to hit the in-game quest guide and see what it said you should be doing.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

... which again, causes problems because people don't read the dialogue.

Do you have any idea how many RSOF Quest Help posts start with the phrase: "The guide says ..."?

One of the reasons I started writing guides a long time ago was because it became abundantly clear that people don't read the dialogue provided in the quest – well, that and the fact that they cannot follow the most basic of instructions ...

nyuseg.png

Loyalty Rewards: Meh, I like the emotes.

Rogues Den 2: Don't go to the first one much.

Wilderness: Due for an update.

Bank Space: Honestly, how do people take up so much space other than Effigies?

Money Pouch: Can't wait.

Tool Belt: Me gusta.

Extra Reward Points: Love it.

Can't wait to see "In other news..."

I can't imagine them implenting WASD controls. I like the point and click.

Muncheh.png

I collect Acorns, Apple Tree, Banana Tree, and Orange Tree Seeds. Also any seeds you would like to donate to my seed collection.

The trouble was quest help system was it didn't help all that much. Until you got the the top level spoilery hints it basically just re-stated what the in-game quest guide tells you anyway, so it was far more productive (and faster) just to hit the in-game quest guide and see what it said you should be doing.

A lot of older quests especially don't give you very good hints in the quest journal. And the actual spoiler was immensely helpful because it always had a full map with diagrams and highlighting and stuff giving you exact instructions--almost always better than fan-made guides, and you could get it without spoiling the rest of the quest.

A lot of older quests especially don't give you very good hints in the quest journal. And the actual spoiler was immensely helpful because it always had a full map with diagrams and highlighting and stuff giving you exact instructions--almost always better than fan-made guides, and you could get it without spoiling the rest of the quest.

Hence why I said until the top level spoiler they weren't helpful.

And the older quests thing is kinda rendered mute since the past year or two nearly every patch notes has had some old quest or other having journal clarifications made.

Besides its easy to find 1 specific quest issue in a guide without ruining it all: you scroll through skimming until you find where u are. Read the next sentence or two and don't look no further. TADA nothing spoilered.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Bank Space: Honestly, how do people take up so much space other than Effigies?

By training all our skills instead of just one or two at a time.

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one