New Skill?

Knoll_Saleh

Sub 30 is not that hard for a good team (actually incredibly easy) but for a keyer to pick up four 117 randoms and get sub 30 is much better. Similarly, getting a sub 10 minute med is quite doable, but not for the average 117 random.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sub 30 is not that hard for a good team (actually incredibly easy) but for a keyer to pick up four 117 randoms and get sub 30 is much better. Similarly, getting a sub 10 minute med is quite doable, but not for the average 117 random.

XWq5v.png

My fastest w117 floor. One guy left and we didn't have the reqs for a door and lost a few rooms ;/

Even though I would agree it can take a lot of skill to command a team of 4 other people (especially strangers; wonder why no one has friends...), I'd also argue that almost all of the puzzles and even some bosses are definitely set up (read: intended) to be taken on by more than one person.

I realize many puzzles scale down depending on how many people are on the team, but many do not. Try the colored pillars for example - There are always four pillars to move and colors to mix. For bosses, Stomp, Skeletal Trio, Runebound, Blink, and Hope Devourer come to mind quickly.

It almost seems that the option to solo was an afterthought.

2dgucz6.png

Yeah, I wasn't disputing that a sub-30 floor is easy with a good team. The "good team" part kind of proves what I mean about XP rates rewarding good all-round talent. Doing a sub-30 floor with a team that can't gate and can't communicate properly is a different story.

However, the point I was trying to highlight is that Sy's never even attempted it (his dungeoneering level says as much, as does the fact he's not answered the question), so what basis he has to decide how much more difficult/easier it is is questionable to say the least. He's never done it before, what right does he have to make any comment at all about team dungeoneering?

It's like me making a comment about tonight's upcoming DKS trip. I've never done DKS before, therefore I'm incapable of backing up any comment I make about it.

On what grounds have I 'never attempted it'?

I have the same access to attempt it as anyone else; the fact I'm lower levelled in dg does not alter this it just means I haven't done as much of it yet.

Doing/Attempting sub-30 larges are by no means some elite feat that is only unlocked in the high levels of dg.

The basis I use for my opinion is my personal experience and being lower levelled in dg does not devalue this and has not stopped me having any experience. I have done team based dg and tried my hand at keying; that's all I need to form an opinion about the skills required.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You're very unlikely to have done any 'pro' dungeoneering. Since we can hardly evaluate the entire dungeoneering skill based on the xp/hr at levels 78 and below, your opinion doesn't carry as much weight as that of someone at 120 dungeoneering, who has been through the entire spectrum of low, medium and high levels. Your opinion is rightly yours, but not relevant to about 102m out of the 104m xp to 120.

You said:

[...] the skill required is disproportionate [to] the xp leap it entails. [...] I don't feel such an xp gulf between team and solo is justified.

Which is, in my opinion, not the case. Not only is teaming harder, it is also the point of the skill. Exactly because the xp/hr is so much higher for teaming, I believe Jagex intended the skill to be played in teams rather than solo. And of course you're welcome to play in every legal way, not just the way Jagex intended, but I don't think it's justified to complain about the lower solo xp/hr any more than you complain about the slower xp/hr training thieving pickpocketing master farmers.

There isn't anything else in the game that favours team work so much when it comes to gaining xp. I think it's good there is at least one skill incorporating team work so much.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

That's fair enough, I don't expect the entire world to agree with my opinion (which of course may change as and when I do gain more experience, though I doubt it); all I disagree with is attempts to entirely write off my view with no more justification than "you're low level you have never done dg therefore you have no right to have a view."

There is a distinct difference between disagreeing because you think it should be a team skill and you think it is quite hard to be pro and just saying (paraphrased) No you are wrong you have no right to comment because you are only level 78.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Moving away from the discussion about Dungeoneering and bringing it back the original point; we've established that there is one skill in RuneScape which rewards more experience to those who show good teamwork. Sadly, the same skill-related bonus can't be said for skills like Woodcutting, Runecrafting and Firemaking to name but a few. I would expect someone who's chopped ivy to 99 Woodcutting to be just as competent at it as someone who's only 80 Woodcutting. In both cases, you click on the ivy with an axe in your inventory, your character will do it until the ivy's chopped up. There's no requirement for you to 'step up' in order to achieve the highest XP rates, and I think that's the main problem I'm trying to illustrate.

Yeah, I wasn't disputing that a sub-30 floor is easy with a good team. The "good team" part kind of proves what I mean about XP rates rewarding good all-round talent. Doing a sub-30 floor with a team that can't gate and can't communicate properly is a different story.

I just posted a pic of a w117 floor. They can't gate. The only person who gated was the other dgser (Towerneering). Getting to 24 mins wasn't hard at all, and it could easily have been sub 20. You just need to know what you're doing.

When they update useless fletching and FMing and almost useless thieving, smithing, mining, fishing, woodcutting, crafting, and runecrafting, then I will ask for a new skill.

none of those skills will ever be important because RS is not that kind of MMO

Fishing, crafting, runecrafting and fletching all all very important to the game as we know it.

Take them out and magic would be massively more expensive and difficult to do, same would go for ranging with bolts.

Crafting's absence you could wave goodbye to all the useful amulets and rings and a good slice of mage armours.

No fishing? say goodbye to like the entire food market.

Even msot of the others have a few important roles to play; they only ones on that list that are pretty much entirely useless in relation to other skills is thief and FM

Smithing isn't actually useful, because all smithing equipment is essentially sold by shops or comes as a drop from a monster. Things would be more expensive without the skill, but by absolutely no means hard to obtain.

Why they didn't make it a requirement to repair the various high level armours and degrable melee equipments that they put in game I have no idea. Those things would have been perfect additions, and charging money wasted so much potential. They did make crafting necessary for repairing certain mage armours, though, which is good.

If anybody ever played RuneQuest or Mythworld pen and paper RPG's, it's not too hard to come up with another skill. Oratory/language skill, animal husbandry/ranching skill, a musical based skill or even the archaeology/item evaluation skills come to mind. The difficulty is ensuring that the skill is fully developed and has a purpose outside of the skill itself (and not just as an afterthought such as the dungeoneering skill dungeons). Not just quests, but improve or supplement other skills.

Personally, I like that they're going to do a non-skill called player owned ports which is like a skill but without things we associate with RS skills - the grind. If I can predict how they'll introduce POPs, it'll be more like Clan Citadels where it's about investing time into upkeep and upgrading. They could have done the exact same thing with Dungeoneering, where instead of shoehorning it into a grindable skill, it'd be playing the dungeon to open up more of the dungeon.

All that said, I'd still like them to constantly improve the existing skills. Hunter is ripe as it can be incorporated to work on all the animals of runescape including slayer monsters.

In a sense dungeoneering's initial problem was not that it didn't have a point outside of the skill, but that it's rewards were so high level they put people off. People did not understand how to train the skill effectively and at level 30 level 80 seemed an incredibly long way away.

Leadership skill

Engineering skill

Medic skill

Necromancer skill

Don't you mean:

Dungeoneering Skill

Construction skill

Magic skill

Summoning skill

I'm not an efficienado.

In a sense dungeoneering's initial problem was not that it didn't have a point outside of the skill, but that it's rewards were so high level they put people off.

For me, that's still it's main problem. How many rewards can actually be bought at the DG level they're unlocked? <_<

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

In a sense dungeoneering's initial problem was not that it didn't have a point outside of the skill, but that it's rewards were so high level they put people off.

For me, that's still it's main problem. How many rewards can actually be bought at the DG level they're unlocked? <_<

Almost none, I believe. Except stuff in the 90s. Maybe they originally planned on adding tokens outside of gaining xp?

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I feel like we just had a skill.

If we are to get one, make it in like November or December.

Sailing..

Nani mo dekinai

Chanto dekinai

Sore ga dou shita?

Bokura wa wakai'n da

Nanimo dekinai

Sugu ni dekinai

Dakara bokura ni kanou sei ga aru'n da

~AKB48

Summoning (Jan 2008) to Dungeoneering (Apr 2010) was a longer gap than right now.

Anyway, I'd rather they not add a new skill just yet and start the whole race to 99 thing again, and instead finish the job with Dungeoneering by finally giving us the really high-levelled content.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Honestly, I don't mind. There are so many people trying to max now that another skill would just piss off a lot of people.

Or maybe make people finally realise the sweet thing about rs is (was?) that maxing was just a goal, not the main fun, start of fun (unlike in WOW where you first need to max before you can do the main events). The fun (for me, and I know quite a few people around me) comes from unlocking new stuff, being able to do more. A new skill thus gives a lot of new fun.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Or maybe make people finally realise the sweet thing about rs is (was?) that maxing was just a goal, not the main fun, start of fun (unlike in WOW where you first need to max before you can do the main events). The fun (for me, and I know quite a few people around me) comes from unlocking new stuff, being able to do more. A new skill thus gives a lot of new fun.

Lol, true for me.

I maxed and fun is/was over...

I wouldn't mind a new skill, as long as it doesn't come out for say, the next 6 months. I wanna get the chance to obtain & enjoy max cape before getting piled with more grind. There's an archeology skill suggestion thread that's been lying around for years on here, jagex should take a look at it when making the next skill.

2480+ total