Effigy nerf

TheAncient

Mod Mark did apologize for not implementing the fix earlier and mentioned he was waiting for an opportunity to compliment it with some positive XP bonuses like those introduced this week.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex don't understand emergent gameplay. Enough of a reason to quit IMHO.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Mod Mark did apologize for not implementing the fix earlier and mentioned he was waiting for an opportunity to compliment it with some positive XP bonuses like those introduced this week.

I don't see how the early bird bonuses are "positive", per se, as opposed to holding on to an effigy. One can get an effigy at random on a task without the skills to open it (which implies guaranteed experience), but depending on one's schedule and play routine, one may indeed miss out on the early bird bonus because their Agility or their Magic wasn't high enough at the time. Not to mention, the apology is in a similar tone that has been heard before. mellow.gif

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

None of it changes anything for me, so it's probably not for me to say whether the apology was adequate/sincere...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Guest jrhairychest

Excellent suggestion. Any change you'll take all the other whingers with you too? I think Quyneax will burst a blood vessel at this rate (in as efficient a manner as possible of course).

I honestly think they've nerfed the drop-rates because someone might actually get 200M xp in all skills before a new one is released, it's that simple.

Unfortunately, I think that might be a real possibility. Not everyone is going for max xp in every skill, but effigies certainly made max/comp much more realistic (well, at least max :wink: ).

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Mod Mark does play RS and cares a lot about it. Please don't believe anyone claiming otherwise.

He is very familiar with the game mechanics and how updates and other things impact the community and change the way people play. I was very pleasantly surprised about his passion when it comes to creating new updates, fixing old content and improving skills.

Whether you agree with this update or not, blaming it on the Jmods not knowing what they are doing is not a universal solution.

I just wish I could understand why he's against hoarding effigies. Maybe there's some reason I haven't thought of.

They don't want runescape to just be that effigy collection game where people afk 99% of the time.

Why it takes them years to take care of issues is the real barn burning question.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I honestly can understand their reasoning for the update.. I do not understand why it took well over a year to implement it. I collected a number of effigies before quitting early 2011, I return early 2012 and they're just now deciding to implement limits on them.. :thumbdown:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Excellent suggestion. Any change you'll take all the other whingers with you too? I think Quyneax will burst a blood vessel at this rate (in as efficient a manner as possible of course).

I quit 14 months ago.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I quit 14 months ago.

I quit with this update as well. Despite the fact that the effigy update doesn't affect me personally, and not only because I pretty much stopped playing a month ago >_>

The thing that irks me, there were so many better ways to implement an effigy nerf. The cap really hurts people who want to save the effigies for when they can open them and don't want to grind the skill until they can.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Mod Mark does play RS and cares a lot about it. Please don't believe anyone claiming otherwise.

He is very familiar with the game mechanics and how updates and other things impact the community and change the way people play. I was very pleasantly surprised about his passion when it comes to creating new updates, fixing old content and improving skills.

Whether you agree with this update or not, blaming it on the Jmods not knowing what they are doing is not a universal solution.

None of those things are unique to Mod Mark, they are actually pretty common. I'm sure you and I and half the people on this forum care about RS (a lot) and play it and understand its mechanics. Mark simply isn't very strong in mechanics/metagame. I'm not convinced that he does understand the game mechanics that well if he couldn't figure out the number of effigies dropped per hour at various locations, and comparing those to skilling, and then concluding that people might go hunting for them. He was a fool if he thought people wouldn't hoard effigies to break records, given that people hoarded charms before.

I think the Jmods knew what they were doing, and I think they are misguided in that this update isn't what makes the game more fun.

What is incredibly annoying about Jagex is the idiotic statements/lies they make up as reasons for the update. "I wanted to combine it with something more positive" leads to early bird specials? Not to mention that "they weren't meant to be a viable levelling method" and "they weren't meant to be hoarded" are not reasons to nerf effigies - where's the love for emergent gameplay? Effigies made mithril dragons, cave crawlers and such worth hunting, and they made glacors and tormented demons awesome quest rewards - they are now virtually useless because the no-quest-required Nex and Dagannoth Kings are better. The two great strengths of effigies - they must be kept in your bank with endless patience to get the most out of them, and they reward balanced skilling, are completely ignored.

The removal of F2P hiscores with the argument "To keep them fresh. We want the hiscores to feature players who will compete with each other, tooth and nail, for hiscore glory." (*cough* 200m xp cap *cough*).

I believe the argumentation for nerfing the Flash Powder factory was based on "We didn't want it to be the best xp in agility." so they nerfed it to be worse than any other course. The list goes on.

I stand by my claim that Jagex does not understand their games metagame, and they do not care for it.

Just wanted to post and say I agree 100% and feel strongly about the newfound worthlessness of glacors and crawlers. It's also disappointing how empty slayer feels as a skill now.

Jagex is absolutely pathetic in this instance for not understanding how effigies would affect the game and taking 2 years to implement a nerf.

noobs crowding hill giants? not on my watch

does anyone remember, how, a few months back, jagex was all devoted to making skills easier to train with less grind? well, they've just undone all the work they did then.

Personally, I was very disappointment when i saw the nerf, and am still disappointment at jagex's standing it; mod mark's saying of: SORRY BUT ITS THE WAY I SAY IT IS; go cry in a corner, seems very against the update flavors he's been bringing in.

nerfing effigies now means that players have to go mad on such horrible skills such as RUNECRAFTING and agility. Some people may enjoy these, but for the rest of us BEING FORCED to grind them if we want a max cape is just ridiculous.

Jagex should be introducing better skilling methods, not nerfing the only alternative to madness we have at the moment.

For those who was WELL N1S FORC1NG U 2 TRA1N D3M SK1LLZ, you are wrong, as, to accomplish anything in this damn game, we have to grind a bit, and, armadillo cape or no, the max cape does have incredible prestige, and value.

TLDR: jagex are dumb, and should be introducing better training methods, not nerfing our current ones.

meamzed.png

does anyone remember, how, a few months back, jagex was all devoted to making skills easier to train with less grind? well, they've just undone all the work they did then.

Personally, I was very disappointment when i saw the nerf, and am still disappointment at jagex's standing it; mod mark's saying of: SORRY BUT ITS THE WAY I SAY IT IS; go cry in a corner, seems very against the update flavors he's been bringing in.

nerfing effigies now means that players have to go mad on such horrible skills such as RUNECRAFTING and agility. Some people may enjoy these, but for the rest of us BEING FORCED to grind them if we want a max cape is just ridiculous.

Jagex should be introducing better skilling methods, not nerfing the only alternative to madness we have at the moment.

For those who was WELL N1S FORC1NG U 2 TRA1N D3M SK1LLZ, you are wrong, as, to accomplish anything in this damn game, we have to grind a bit, and, armadillo cape or no, the max cape does have incredible prestige, and value.

TLDR: jagex are dumb, and should be introducing better training methods, not nerfing our current ones.

Jagex never intended for effigies to be a 'training method', but rather as bonuses to skills players have. Jagex clearly creates the rules for playing their game and how the intend their content to be played.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

As a side note, the consequences have made ganodermic beast hunting drop off, causing the price of ganodermic items to greatly rise in price.

Anyway, Jagex may make the rules, but they will never be able to actually CONTROL things to their intentions, except by heavyhanded force, and even then, it just causes more things to happen in other areas. They need to watch their step...

8f14270694.jpg

As a side note, the consequences have made ganodermic beast hunting drop off, causing the price of ganodermic items to greatly rise in price.

Anyway, Jagex may make the rules, but they will never be able to actually CONTROL things to their intentions, except by heavyhanded force, and even then, it just causes more things to happen in other areas. They need to watch their step...

I don't like how players tell Jagex to watch their step... At least in offensive tones (not sure if that was your case actually). Honestly in your case mentioned it is a good thing for higher leveled slayers with the change in ganodermic beast drops because many players expected the higher end slayer drops from the ganodermic beasts to be more profitable than they are now. The cost of polypore spores, ganoderic flakes and the sticks are appalling. I've been camping there because the slayer-specific drops are in a contending rank with the flakes and I will about 2m+ an hour in drops.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I don't like how players tell Jagex to watch their step... At least in offensive tones (not sure if that was your case actually). Honestly in your case mentioned it is a good thing for higher leveled slayers with the change in ganodermic beast drops because many players expected the higher end slayer drops from the ganodermic beasts to be more profitable than they are now. The cost of polypore spores, ganoderic flakes and the sticks are appalling. I've been camping there because the slayer-specific drops are in a contending rank with the flakes and I will about 2m+ an hour in drops.

+1 I do believe that effigies weren't intended to be an alternative method of training when they were released, we can survive :P

1) was this necessary? Yes

2) are effigies in the spirit of the game? No

3) do you agree with the way jagex implemented their nerf? No

Despite having collected quite a few myself, I think it would've been better if they were removed entirely (though preferably never brought into the game). For everyone saying "of course maxers don't want effigies, they already used them to max", I maxed well before effigies and never camped them as a source to train, they simply came from slayer. Also, for the people saying runecrafting needs to be fixed, w/e lol.

BubbleKuffer.png

1) Was this necessary?

Sadly, and as much as it pains me to admit it, yes – it was necessary. I, too, am guilty of using, and encouraging others to use, the Effigyscape method of training.

2) Are effigies in the spirit of the game?

I am not sure what one means by “in the spirit of the game”. :unsure:

If, “in the spirit of the game”, you mean, did Jagex put sufficient thought into what would happen, once people started figuring out how they could manipulate the game to their advantage, in order to maximize the number of effigies they’d receive and store, and thereafter, did they give any forethought as to what would happen if, as and when such persons would cash in all those effigies in one go?

Is that what you mean? If so – isn’t that merely a rhetorical question?

:lol:

3) Do you agree with the way Jagex implemented their nerf?

Hell no. This has all the signs of a classic “closing the barn door …” scenario. To suddenly switch the situation around in this manner, without warning, indicates that someone, somewhere, got caught with their pants down and, as a result, they lashed out irrationally and severely at everyone because of it.

There were better ways to deal with this – other solutions could have easily been implemented within the same time frame.

nyuseg.png