Effigy nerf

TheAncient

Is it really such a bad thing that it's harder to max now? The number of maxed players has grown exponentially since effigies came out. It used to be something special, admired, and awed. Now it's kind of something that everyone strives to complete pretty realistically. It's gotten a lot less special IMO.

Its never going to be impressive again, for several reasons.

1.) The game has been out for too long, players will eventually reach max just for playing.

2.) Too many people are maxed already. Its not that impressive just because its not unique anymore

3.) Skills, even without effigies, are mostly faster now. Way easier to max out things like mining, etc.

I don't understand how its still not an impressive achievement. Currently on hiscores there are 1421 players at 2496. I'll call it 1500 for people who are f2p, and soon to be comp cape. Now there's 790k ranked members. We will say 800k members.

(1500/800,000) * 100 = 0.1875%. How is something that only .2% of members achieved not impressive?

Now if we're doing max cape, not counting 120dg however I don't see it as max. There should be around 3-5k players with access to max cape.

(4000/800,000) * 100 = 0.5% Considering Runescape has been out 10 years and only .5% of players have achieved all 99s. I still see it as impressive as it was from pre-ge.

Its no where near as impressive as it was. Look at it this way, less then 1% of the WoW raider base has killed Sinestra, a boss from 2 tiers ago. Its still hard. But killing it now is no were near as impressive as it was back with worse gear when it was newer. Same for maxed cape. Maxed cape is hard because of the amount of time needed to get it. But maxing after 3 or 5 years is not as impressive as maxing after 1 or 2, see? Its still rare, just not as rare.

Bad comparison. Maxing is the most difficult (time consuming) part of runescape (not including 200m skills obv), while sinestra wasn't even the most difficult encounter in tier 11 (not even in BoT for that matter, see council/al'akir).

Also, 2.84% of raiders have killed sinestra.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About maxing being easy: Its not. However, it is a lot less unique, because enough players have completion/max capes that I see 1-2 every time I play. That's pretty common compared to the era where only 1-2 players were max total.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

However, it is a lot less unique

Unique is the wrong word. You mean something along the lines of 'common' or maybe you mean to say it's slightly less of a grind, which is a huge difference. Maxing can't be 'unique' by definition. A customized heraldic/completionist/clan cape is unique, because potentially there's only one of that particular style. Everyone has the ability to max and there have been people maxing since well into the early game years.

This segway was brought to you by the letter D. /sesamestreet

hzvjpwS.gif

Unique is the wrong word. You mean something along the lines of 'common' or maybe you mean to say it's slightly less of a grind, which is a huge difference. Maxing can't be 'unique' by definition. A customized heraldic/completionist/clan cape is unique, because potentially there's only one of that particular style. Everyone has the ability to max and there have been people maxing since well into the early game years.

</english lesson>

At one time there *was* only a single person maxed. That player was unique. I suppose you are right and I should have used a different word... But I meant that there used to be fewer players who actually HAVE achieved max, (not just potential, because a lot of players will never reach that potential...)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Where do you get effigies? I heard you get them from skilling...is this true?

kill stuff

It would of prevented a lot of the hoarding that people did and massive xp gains that were associated with that. I don't care about using effigies on whatever you please, it's just the fact that people could open 500 in a day to smash records with only having to do the 2 hours opening them. I don't really think Jagex wanted effigies to be a way to entirely replace the method of actually training a skill, I know quite a few people who have done mid 70s and early 80s Rc till 99 without ever crafting a rune. It just doesn't make much sense.

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

It would of prevented a lot of the hoarding that people did and massive xp gains that were associated with that. I don't care about using effigies on whatever you please, it's just the fact that people could open 500 in a day to smash records with only having to do the 2 hours opening them. I don't really think Jagex wanted effigies to be a way to entirely replace the method of actually training a skill, I know quite a few people who have done mid 70s and early 80s Rc till 99 without ever crafting a rune. It just doesn't make much sense.

Replacing skills with effigies = bad

Getting massive xp gains in a short time, but with lots of preparation time = who cares? Why does it matter? Runescape hiscores dont't even have a way to measure xp gain/time....

The problem isn't that effigies are better than actually runecrafting. The problem is that runecrafting is worse than effigies. Update runecrafting. Make pouches autofill/use like coal bags do. Xp rates that remain static throughout the entire skill (only things that scale are pouches and zmi slightly)? Does jagex really expect us to train this?

The problem isn't that effigies are better than actually runecrafting. The problem is that runecrafting is worse than effigies. Update runecrafting. Make pouches autofill/use like coal bags do. Xp rates that remain static throughout the entire skill (only things that scale are pouches and zmi slightly)? Does jagex really expect us to train this?

Why does it matter to have a few slower skills? Don't like it don't train it. If you wanna have a max cape and that's the reason you train it, bad luck.

[qfc]15-16-931-63569233[/qfc]

The cap is there is because we have found players who fill their bank with effigies do not take part in the new updates and are enjoying playing less.

Mat.

...what?

Also:

I've just had a look at the feedback from the high level forum and most of them seem to agree with the update, so I don't think one can say that this catered for low levels.

Of course already maxed people agree with this update...?

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Runecrafting is outdated, that's why.

I don't mind slow skills. But runecrafting is so tedious and grindy.

Besides that, they said they're going to update runecrafting.

Given Jagex's track record (Artisan's Workshop), I don't have that much confidence in their next update for a skill that needs to be reworked.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I think it's safe to say jagex realizes there are quite a few players who want to max/comp capes, and felt as though with effigies they way they were was going to cause alot of people to "finish" a lot sooner then jagex would have liked, so they're just keeping all those people in for the long haul haha

The cap is there is because we have found players who fill their bank with effigies do not take part in the new updates and are enjoying playing less.

Mat.

...what?

Also:

I've just had a look at the feedback from the high level forum and most of them seem to agree with the update, so I don't think one can say that this catered for low levels.

Of course already maxed people agree with this update...?

Okay, those are two really stupid posts imho. I don't get the first one at all, unless he means those who already have max levels and bank the effigies for a big gain in a short time - When those are people who are really into efficiency and maybe even getting one of the top highscore ranks, it wouldn't be surprising they don't participate in new content much.

As for the second quote, it's no wonder Maxed players like this, because it doesn't devalue their achievement that they conveniently got before the nerf >.>

Mat.

...what?

Exactly. How is taking away a relatively efficient way to train otherwise less than efficient skills while doing things you actually like supposed to increase enjoyment? :-s

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Jagex's complete refusal to consider community counterarguments and their undeserved condescension demonstrates the terrible quality of their company

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

What the heck? It's the player's personal decision to camp effigies, they're the ones who are making themselves not 'enjoy updates.'

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Very disappointing. I've been forced to 3 options.

1). Level the opening skills right now, do not do any combat until then. (Seeing as combat is my primary money maker this is almost impossible.)

2). Assist them all and use them so i can get the valuable dragonkin lamps and acquire more. Lose millions of opening XP.

3). Play as i always have, doing combat whenever i want, knowing that i won't get any effigies for doing so and that it's generally nerfed the effectiveness of my favorite hobbies.

Effigies are not the problem. The crappy skills that people insist on using effigies on as they're so slow/boring are the problem. Most high level players only with RC/Agility to acquire are ironically hardly effected by this nerf anyway. They can simply open their effigies as they please with no negative impact for doing so. (It's assumed they're already at the level they've decided to use lamps on. If not, they'll just level it as they intended to)

I'm interested in finding out some figures behind this nerf though. I assume that you can still get effigies with 40 banked, but at a lower rate. Also interested in the new universal rate with 0-4 banked, assuming that's been nerfed too.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Jagex has once again made illogical arguments to why they did what they did. And when they do something it's like written in stone, no matter what counterarguments we have they will ignore us.

I know Jagex can't satisfy everyone but I believe less were complaining about Effigies before this nerf, am I right? So, why then, nerf them and make less people happy? It doesn't make any sense. It's like Jagex doesn't care what their players say. We shouldn't be forced to adapt after Jagex' updates when they are bad, Jagex should adapt their updates after what their players want.

When Jagex means the game is hard, they don't mean the content they release, but the "fixes" they implement on great things they released. Look at the flash powder factory: a bustling game, until after a month they force everyone to play much less efficient. Now, instead of just lowering the droprate of effigies, they force lower leveled people to hand the exp to assisters, instead of letting them work towards the goal of opening the effigies themselves.

The bottom line is that nonstop afk camping isn't really playing the game.

Jagex has always nerfed that.

Remember all the magic training nerfs. :rolleyes:

The problem is that Jagex lets this crap go on for years and then one day out of the blue, bingo it's fixed.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

The only reason you're crying so bad about how jagex is such a bad company is because you're all grouped together here. For every 1 of you, there's 10 more who like the update/don't care.

I'm glad i'm not guna see 5 more max capers everywhere i go, it's gotten way too common.

Miseryism | Completionist