Effigy nerf

TheAncient

I have 25 effigies in my bank right now, 13 or 14 requiring runecrafting. I need another 9-15 RCing levels to open them. I planned to save them for when my other effigies I've been collecting (and expected to collect) got me up to that level. Now I'm sitting here with a bunch of effigies I'll have to waste by using them on summoning which is already 500k exp past 99 because I despise the RCing skill but want a max/completionist cape. Needless to say, this update has made me a little bit mad...

The other effigies I have require skills that I'm all ready 99 in, so I can either choose to use them on my 99 skills and waste exp, or get assisted and waste exp. Or I guess I could go boss hunt and get the money to train my skills up so I'm not wasting the exp of those effigies, but thanks to this update I would miss out on effigy drops and be wasting exp again, just in another way. Thanks Jagex for making me have to play inefficiently....

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) was this necessary?

2) are effigies in the spirit of the game?

3) do you agree with the way jagex implemented their nerf?

1) Yes, but 1 month after releasing effigies not after close to 2 years of having them in game.

2)Yes. I found having effigy drops very exciting and being able to stock 70+ on the way to 99 slayer was a lot of fun and gave me a lot of fun discussion with friends. Plus having a bunch of effigies stored has given me the motivation to train my other skills.

3)NO I do not. As I mentioned above I believe if jagex has a problem with a recently implemented update then they should act on it within a month or two..not a year or two. Doing this just makes for a lot of angry players and rightfully so.

The_Ryan.png

5 Effigies Max/Bank????? What will happen to my 40 effigies now?

Nothing, but you will not get any more effigy drop until you have 4 or less left in your bank.

Wow... I don't understand why they had to do this...

People wouldn't be bothered by this update if training skills the "normal" way was actually FUN.

This lol. Just another way of removing the grind.

But hey, I didn't use them much anyway.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I despise the RCing skill but want a max/completionist cape.

What makes you think you should be allowed to get one? The main issue I have with effigies is that you can use them to gain lots of xp in skills without doing normal training at all.

Yes, I know that *many* people obtained max/completion cape with effigies, but just because its already happened doesn't really validate it.

I do agree though, having an effigy/bank limit of 5 has to be the worst answer I've seen so far on this thread. (compared to the community provided answers)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

What makes you think you should be allowed to get one?

Why the heck not? If he puts the work into it why shouldn't he?

What makes you think you should be allowed to get one?

Why the heck not? If he puts the work into it why shouldn't he?

My point is: if you aren't willing to put the work into RC then you shouldn't have the max cape. Effigies allow you do put the work into combat, and *still* get rc levels/xp. This was even the optimum method from an efficiency perspective because you gain combat xp as well as effigy xp. I don't mind so much when you have to put substantially more effort/time into gaining xp to avoid having to actually train rc (pengs, troll, etc) but effigy training is more efficient time wise than actually participating in skilling. It *should* be the other way around.

I agree that something need(s/ed) to be done about this. What Jagex did doesn't help much, and just annoys players.... Start by fixing the skills, and add a cap to effigys/day so that the highscores tracking wouldn't be ruined.... (Yeah, its too late for this)

tl;dr: Training the skill to achieve max cape should take less effort/time than doing bonus activities like effigies, pengs, and troll defense.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Firstly, why wait for 2 years? As Number1 boss recently pointed out in one of his videos, it is now physically impossible to max an account faster than he is doing on Numbar1 boss, as he collected so many effigies from ganodermics and 99 slayer prior to the nerf. In essence this makes the game more difficult for people who chose to do something at a different time. All xp records have been utterly meaningless for months if not years. Preventing people from stockpiling effigies now is pointless.

Asmodean <3

Sub Cancelled.

Slayer + Effigies were the only thing I found interesting in the game, Gf 400k from 99 slay.

My my.. well that made me chuckle lol, thx.

Firstly, why wait for 2 years? As Number1 boss recently pointed out in one of his videos, it is now physically impossible to max an account faster than he is doing on Numbar1 boss, as he collected so many effigies from ganodermics and 99 slayer prior to the nerf. In essence this makes the game more difficult for people who chose to do something at a different time. All xp records have been utterly meaningless for months if not years. Preventing people from stockpiling effigies now is pointless.

Better late than never. As I've noticed, people are never satisfied with updates.. If one update comes out, they complain, then when its fixed.. they complain.Yes this was not exactly the best approach to the effigy camping problem, but its a start.

triox1.pngtriox2.pngtriox3.png

Is it really such a bad thing that it's harder to max now? The number of maxed players has grown exponentially since effigies came out. It used to be something special, admired, and awed. Now it's kind of something that everyone strives to complete pretty realistically. It's gotten a lot less special IMO.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Is it really such a bad thing that it's harder to max now? The number of maxed players has grown exponentially since effigies came out. It used to be something special, admired, and awed. Now it's kind of something that everyone strives to complete pretty realistically. It's gotten a lot less special IMO.

Effigies aren't only update that's making maxing easier. Updates in general do.

But if Runescape is about preserving the "hardness" of something (maxing out) - then why aren't Jagex listening to players such as yourself?

I find it very, very stupid to release a Ancient Effigies to give people extra experience, and then take a poo on the update 2 years later.

If you want a skill (RC in this case) to be leveled by doing the skill - why not fix the issue with the skill? (Bad exp/boring).

Ancient effigies nerf and update will be one of the things in the category of "Jagex SEt backs - release something and then crap it".

Furthermore if we are gonna keep on going the same old "Before everything was harder and more admireable" - then Jagex might as well stop updating Runescape.

Now i remember that in Runefest that a mod talked about A Runecrafting update for this year.

This update will come, and it will adress the bad exp rates of RC.

And what will that do with "Maxing" thing Trip? It will make RC exp faster > Making maxing skills easier.

And advice to people who want everything to be "Hard". Go and Play Runescape F2P and Max out there. I gurantee you it will destroy your body in some form.

I'm with you. It's become almost pointless. Watching people max years ago and watching people max now..it's almost sad.

Turnpikes.png

I'd echo that sentiment. I'm not going to suggest max total has become easy, but it's got the point where you may as well stick an asterisk on the end of names like Zezima and n0valyfe, because it was much harder for them to achieve it.

Effigies played a huge part. One of the things that made maxing difficult was having to work through "harder" (primarily meaning slower) skills like agility, mining, slayer, and runecrafting. Effigies changed that.

I find it very, very stupid to release a Ancient Effigies to give people extra experience, and then take a poo on the update 2 years later.

I never said I thought it was a good update or a good time to do it. I think the 5 effigy limit is absurd. I think the reduced drop rate the more you get is absurd. I have no problem with the overall reduced drop rate but the whole thing does seem like a knee jerk reaction to the mummy effigy method.

If you want a skill (RC in this case) to be leveled by doing the skill - why not fix the issue with the skill? (Bad exp/boring).

Why don't people stop trying to have everything served to them on a silver platter? People seem to want this game to be so easy. If people don't like runecrafting they shouldn't train it. If they want to max out, then I think training skills you don't like should be part of that process. We're not all going to like every single skill and I think that's perfectly fine. I accept that I hate mining, which is why I don't train it. I also accept that if I want to max some day I will have to train it. That's how games work. RuneScape is a game with plenty of content. There are more than enough skills for you to pick and choose the ones you want to level.

Sure, Jagex could make runecrafting faster.. but why should they? So we can have another 99 that everyone and their mother has? So runecrafting can be another "not very admirable" 99? Why does everyone want the game to be so easy? Do you guys not want to actually have to work hard and put a lot of time into something? Sure it can be frustrating and boring, but that's why it feels epic when you finally complete it. There's a reason why I'm not particularly proud of my 99 fletching or 99 cooking. They were fast and easy.. so what is there to be proud of?

I don't think there's anything wrong with preserving some of the slower skills.

Furthermore if we are gonna keep on going the same old "Before everything was harder and more admireable" - then Jagex might as well stop updating Runescape.

Not at all. Updates can happen and there is plenty of room for more content. My problem is, as I outlined above, that everyone wants everything to be EASY or QUICK. If Jagex makes everything easy or quick then eventually everyone will be maxed and it won't be special. It's already not that special.

My point is about preserving some of the sense of achievement in RuneScape. When everything is easy, what is there to be proud of? Don't you guys actually want to have to work for something? Or should all of the 99s just be like cooking with insane xp rates?

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Comp cape still takes way longer than anything else I've seen in any other game...

Also a lot more people max now bc of max cape. It's also true that you'll notice more maxed players because you notice max capes.

I'm not entirely convinced effigies made maxing require any more patience.'They just made it significantly less grindy.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Effigies played a huge part. One of the things that made maxing difficult was having to work through "harder" (primarily meaning slower) skills like agility, mining, slayer, and runecrafting. Effigies changed that.

Why release them if it's not gonna help? If your gonna do side - skill activities that gives you exp in skills but is little exp - then it's better to focus on the skill itself.

I never said I thought it was a good update or a good time to do it. I think the 5 effigy limit is absurd. I think the reduced drop rate the more you get is absurd. I have no problem with the overall reduced drop rate but the whole thing does seem like a knee jerk reaction to the mummy effigy method.

Fair enough.

Why don't people stop trying to have everything served to them on a silver platter? People seem to want this game to be so easy. If people don't like runecrafting they shouldn't train it. If they want to max out, then I think training skills you don't like should be part of that process. We're not all going to like every single skill and I think that's perfectly fine. I accept that I hate mining, which is why I don't train it. I also accept that if I want to max some day I will have to train it. That's how games work. RuneScape is a game with plenty of content. There are more than enough skills for you to pick and choose the ones you want to level.

Runescape is a game where you have to level many non combat skills to get your hands on a combat item (Comp cape and Excalibur). And i don't see how people have gotten ANYTHING served on a silver platter. People who farm Effigies use time to get them. Everything takes time. And the skills difficulty is pretty much hard.

Tell me have you seen someone get a Comp cape in less than a year? Starting from scratch that is. If you have i would like to hear it.

But if you haven't it shows you how long it takes to max out. And i am pretty sure it's not about 2 hours playing each day but over 5 hours.

Sure, Jagex could make runecrafting faster.. but why should they? So we can have another 99 that everyone and their mother has? So runecrafting can be another "not very admirable" 99? Why does everyone want the game to be so easy? Do you guys not want to actually have to work hard and put a lot of time into something? Sure it can be frustrating and boring, but that's why it feels epic when you finally complete it. There's a reason why I'm not particularly proud of my 99 fletching or 99 cooking. They were fast and easy.. so what is there to be proud of?

There are many approaches to how to solve RC issue. But right now it's not working and many people dislike it. Is having fun doing a skill less worth than the status of a skill?

I am not saying make the skill super easy, but Jagex should find a balance. And right now there is no balance, it's plain simple boring and grindy skill.

I don't think there's anything wrong with preserving some of the slower skills.

Not at all. Updates can happen and there is plenty of room for more content. My problem is, as I outlined above, that everyone wants everything to be EASY or QUICK. If Jagex makes everything easy or quick then eventually everyone will be maxed and it won't be special. It's already not that special.

My point is about preserving some of the sense of achievement in RuneScape. When everything is easy, what is there to be proud of? Don't you guys actually want to have to work for something? Or should all of the 99s just be like cooking with insane xp rates?

Things should be preserved, but right now Maxing is not easy in Runescape. So i don't see why people speak of it as it is.

After reading a bit more on the replies after my post, I realized Jagex's move was not as good as it could've been.

The effigy cap shouldn't be there, of course people stock them for use later, but they should've just reduced the effigy drop rate, even add effigy drop rates on regular skilling (Right now effigies are a reward only for people who train combat, what about the skillers?) or like many have said, increase regular XP/H gains for other skills so people don't rely on effigies to train them... *Runecrafting*, heck they could increase the XP/H just a bit but make the skill fun to train

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png