Effigy nerf

TheAncient

Effigies were nerfed with the kiln update:

-- reduced drop rate

-- can't get more than 5 at a time / in your bank

-- drop rates decrease the more effigies you have

1) was this necessary?

2) are effigies in the spirit of the game?

3) do you agree with the way jagex implemented their nerf?

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I'm not sure if it was necessary. Yes, people were using them as an alternative to training the actual skill itself. But they aren't obtained easily at all. The skills should be improved, not alternative methods ruined.

2) Yes, I see no problem with them.

3) Not at all, it's a farce. A year later, to add in an update so big to the "In Other News..." section, is awfl.

To add a cap of 5, and with each one they become less-and-less common? Rubbish. It's punishing lower-level players who get one, as they can't hold onto them untl later without their chances of obtaining another suffering.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

It's not that big of a deal. The only difference is people need to open them more often. Saying that you're too lazy to level the skills yourself is one thing, but not being able to hop to 117 is just pretty sad. People will adapt.

People need to learn to train other skills more. The opening skills aren't really that hard to obtain, they just take a little while. Plus, certain skills can skill be trained primarily by dragonkins, you just won't be able to dump large amounts anymore.

Trollbomber.png

1. Necessary? Being an average player, I didn't know much of the whole effigy game anyway. So I couldnt comment about that.

2. They are obviously in the spirit of the game if Jagex themselves implemented them, but the way the players took "advantage" I guess one would say, made them reevaluate what they are actually for perhaps?

3. I don't agree with the whole storing only 5, but meh

People wouldn't be bothered by this update if training skills the "normal" way was actually FUN.

People find different skills fun. Some such as runecrafting and agility can seem boring due to the slow xp rates, but if that's the case, it just boils down to what's more valuable to you. Would you rather grind that xp to have a sense of accomplishment with a higher level/cape/ect., or enjoy your time doing other things rather than grind something you don't enjoy?

Just because everyone doesn't find everything in Runescape equally enjoyable doesn't mean it should be changed. That kind of defies the point and pride some players achieve and value from spending so much time working towards an achievement (for the players where the end result is worth the grind to get there).

Trollbomber.png

3) do you agree with the way jagex implemented their nerf?

No. They did the same thing when they announced the plan to remove F2P from the hiscores and that's pretty much all anyone talked about in that week's discussion.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

People wouldn't be bothered by this update if training skills the "normal" way was actually FUN.

yes, i agree. all that rc consists of is PURE grinding.

This is precisely the reason why it has been changed, no one should be able to level a skill that quickly and easily without actually doing it. If you don't like RCing then find another skill to level.

Mat.

From mod Mat K. QFC: 15-16-931-63569233

Sounds good to me.

Sounds good to me :)

What is "RC"? Why is effigy collecting not "RC"? Both of them come down to clicks

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Anyone who finds RC fun at 30k/h has something wrong with them or too much free time.

It's not the xp rates that makes a skill fun or not. At least not for me. Slayer for example is a very slow skill, but I'd rather train slayer than most other skills.

Hunter is a fast skill, but it is so boring (for me) that i'd rather train agilty to 99 than hunter.

I think the 5 effigy max is absurd. Now people are forced to get assistance with effigies they can't open, rather than saving them for when they can open them.

I'm not too bothered about the drop rate decrease to be honest. I do kind of feel like effigies cheapened the more difficult skills like runecrafting and slayer. You shouldn't be able to level those more efficiently by not training them, and that was kind of the case :/

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

1) No, it wasn't needed. Gathering effigies is a legit way of training.

2) Yes they are, they make the game more fun and reward patience.

3) No, there are many ways to reduce the xp gain from effigies, this is a very bad one.

This update favours only those people who can assist effigies. Everyone who can't (and can't open their own effigies) will lose out on a lot of xp from slaying and bossing.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

This update favours only those people who can assist effigies. Everyone who can't (and can't open their own effigies) will lose out on a lot of xp from slaying and bossing.

Not to mention that with the greater demand for assisting, more people will be trust trading to open them by charging exorbitant amounts to do so. What this does is also increase the likelihood for scamming, because the assist system hasn't evolved with the times.

hzvjpwS.gif

As far as I'm concerned effigies were not released as an alternative to training skills, at 91 rc I've only ever used one effigy on rc, I prefer the time I put into rcing to have value. Although the limit of 5 effigies is harsh for those who require asissts to open their effigies. But as for ''effigycrafting', if you don't like a skill then spend time on those you enjoy.enjoy :)

Effigies were fun, okay? Not against the spirit of the game, they were good old fun. Every time I see one pop up (or sometimes the foot of my steel titan by mistake) I'm happy, because it's another step closer to max. Now, I'll have to open them all to get effigies once again. I'm lucky enough to have the stats to do that, with a lot of boosting. But just how many people do you think don't? For them, seeing an effigy now will be like: "Oh boy I can now give 90k xp to some high level, and I'll get a neat 25k runecrafting xp in return, and it'll only take me a lot of shouting and travelling to do so!".

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

so i'm now stuck with 5 lv 97 con effiges that i've been trying forever to get someone to open?

On one hand I agree with Jagex that it did cheapen some of the harder skills but i think just making effigies harder to get the more of them you get would have been better then putting a cap on them.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

The whole idea of effigies was stupid TBH. Yes, I LOVED Them. But making it so they give a flat XP rate based on level was asinine. Whose going to use it on a fast skill like attack over something like RC? There are so many better ways to do this. It could have been a boost to xp, say you gain 30% more XP for 15/25/30/60 minutes after you opened an effigy, in a certain stat, up to the amount of XP they currently give. (So you now get 20k for opening one and chosing RC, you get a max of 20k bonus XP if you RC.) Or something similar.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

To me I only have a qualm about not being able to stack them, because I actually wanted to get those skill levels by doing strange rocks every week so i can open my own effigies

Should have just put a hard limit on the effigies, something like 1 reading or 30k exp daily

They can help the situation they have made by allowing you to assist for more than 30k exp per day. However, after the initial 30k exp, you gain no experience through assisting.

That would make people pay high levels to assist their effigies, because honestly I'm not going to stand at Daemonheim assisting people for no reward.

@Infinity: You brush off Vex in the same way you tried to brush off Muggi. Truth is, they are both more important to the community than you, and their opinion carries more weight at least with me.

I'm not sure they handled it well by side-lining it with the "In other news..."

I do believe this will push some, if not most players away from camping for them in the attempt to max. I've liked Effigies, but I felt like they were far too common and absurd.

Turnpikes.png