21-Feb-2012 - Dominion Tower Boss - Sunfreet

Saradomin_Mage

One of the highlights of Runefest 2011 was the A Character Is Born insider session, where our intrepid artists collaborated with a hall full of RuneScape fans to create a new monster, the Sunfreet, to be featured in the Dominion Tower.

The beast has now manifested within the tower, and can be faced in Special Mode. This flying monstrosity rains fire from above before closing for the kill with teeth, claws and its lethal tail; at combat level 530, the Sunfreet is sure to test the toughest of you. There’s also an easier encounter, featuring a level 80 Sunfreet. This fight is an opportunity for everyone, even those without the skills or completed quests usually required, to try some hands-on Dominion Tower action.

Those defeating the high-level Sunfreet will have the achievement recorded on their dominion marker, and the marker will change visually to commemorate the victory. While there are no rewards for defeating the easier version, it's a great way for lower levelled players to see what's in store once they meet the requirements.

Since the Dominion Tower has launched, we've received a wealth of feedback from you on how to improve the content. Accordingly, we’ve made the following changes:

You can now carry multiple sets of goliath, swift and spellcaster gloves. No more trekking back to the tower halfway through a Slayer task! The gloves also last longer before they degrade.

Where a fight requires access to the standard spellbook for elemental spells, such as the dagannoth mothers, your spellbook will automatically switch to the standard book when the fight begins. It will switch back afterwards.

Power-up items can now be exchanged for XP books. Have a surplus of scorpion meat or a proliferation of potions? Simply click the 'exchange' option on your reward chest to convert any unwanted consumables therein to tomes of XP.

Better and more varied spectator angles are available. There are now more ways to view the action, and the camera will track the combatant by default.

Adamant arrows and bolts will no longer appear as rewards, meaning better loot, more often.

It's now possible to skip taunt and victory cutscenes, so you can get right into the action or straight on to your next match.

We’ve upped the conversion rate of dominion factor-to-XP to a level that we feel is competitive. We’ll be keeping an eye on this in the near future and tweaking if necessary, but we hope the extra XP will be icing on the cake of the awesome combat and rewards available in the tower.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on this, so feel free to join the discussion on the forums.

Enjoy!

Mod Tim

In Other News

- A new "Total XP" tooltip has been added on the stat interface when hovering over the total level gained.

- Runecrafting essence pouches now have the left-click option dynamically switch between "Empty" and "Fill" depending on whether it has essence inside.

- Hati and Skoll have returned to their icy homes. Remember that you still have until the 17th of May 2012 to use up your XP boosts from the gloves and boots!

[spoiler=Patch Notes]

Graphical:

A new worshipping ashes animation has been created for when demonic ashes are used on a Player Owned House altar.

Only one Sergeant Grimspike is now shown when performing his special attack.

The stepping stones east of Draynor Manor have been graphically updated.

The Dwarven ancestor spirit from Lava Flow Mine no longer has two beards on his chathead.

Ungadulu from Legends' Quest now has a fainting animation.

A palm tree near the Bedabin Camp no longer has a gap in the trunk.

A non-functioning "X" button has been removed from the Flash Powder Factory rewards interface.

The Dorgesh-Kaan minimap and worldmap lower levels have been fixed.

Quests & Tasks:

A typo has been fixed when speaking to Movario inside the Baneore Cave.

The seagull factory bombing event in A Clockwork Syringe has been given a 5 minute time limit.

Draugen from Fremennik Trials has had his combat level updated from 69 to 96 in the quest journal to reflect his recently increased combat level.

The Monkey Madness final battle is now using a personalised area, and the Sigil now must be rubbed to teleport.

Skills & Minigames:

Tomb doors in Pyramid Plunder now animate correctly.

Trying to burn high-level shade remains with low-level logs now gives an appropriate feedback message.

A "Check Charges" option has been added to all Stealing Creation reward items when equipped.

Other:

A right-click trade option has been added to Simon Templeton.

It is now possible to acquire rock cakes after completing Recipe for Disaster.

Surge and blast boxes in Dungeoneering now have equip as the left click option.

Elemental infinity robe examine messages have been updated to state what element they take after.

The NPC Contact interface has been updated to use the new interface graphical standards.

It is no longer possible to drop an item on "force walk" tiles.

The XP counter no longer overlaps the Favour points display in Jadinko Lair.

Some atmospheric sounds around the Troll Warzone area have been tweaked.

Mind talismans are now displayed as requiring Runecraft level 1.

Speaking to Vannaka after using a Troll Warzone recommendation system teleport to Vannaka no longer talks about the Burthorpe set of tasks.

A new Smithing skill guide entry for bane bolt tips has been added.

The objects the Mercenaries are wearing are no longer displayed as "Members object" on free worlds.

Messages from Pauline from Lunar Farm are no longer given around the Troll Warzone area.

A mining rock in the Rimmington Mine has been renamed "Clay rock" to reflect what ore it contains.

The enter key now replies to the last person who private messaged the player in the lobby.

Automatically refilling several watering cans from a water source now works correctly.

The Agility stepping stones near the Ghosts Ahoy questing area have been reworked to act similar to other Agility shortcuts across the game.

Plain-coloured origami balloons can now be lit using a tinderbox from a toolbelt.

A blank bank pin screen is no longer shown after correctly entering a bank pin to enter the Members Loyalty store.

The feedback message for when a pet is hungry has been shortened.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Power-up items can now be exchanged for XP books. Have a surplus of scorpion meat or a proliferation of potions? Simply click the 'exchange' option on your reward chest to convert any unwanted consumables therein to tomes of XP.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I just destroyed like 500 scorpion meat and craploads of potions couple of weeks ago. :(

Otherwise, this update looks decent. Very happy about the ability to skip the taunt/victory cutscenes. Should make the Tower a lot more enjoyable.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Pity that this update has still not given me the motivation to even bother wasting tens of hours of my life killing annoying bosses repeatedly....

:mellow:

Ah well, Barrows and Mercenary gloves it still is.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Pity that this update has still not given me the motivation to even bother wasting tens of hours of my life killing annoying bosses repeatedly....

:mellow:

Ah well, Barrows and Mercenary gloves it still is.

Seeing as before the kill rate was about 1/minute, it's now going to be more like 2. So you've actually saved yourself loads of time :D

Miseryism | Completionist

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I just destroyed like 500 scorpion meat and craploads of potions couple of weeks ago. :(

Otherwise, this update looks decent. Very happy about the ability to skip the taunt/victory cutscenes. Should make the Tower a lot more enjoyable.

By the wording there, it sounds like only items that are currently in your rewards chest can be exchanged for xp. Not rewards you've already claimed.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

- Runecrafting essence pouches now have the left-click option dynamically switch between "Empty" and "Fill" depending on whether it has essence inside.

yay

Glacors Drops - 33 shards.

Armadyl Drops - 1 Chestplate. 1 Hilt. 2 gloves . 2 Skirts.

Tdc.png

yay

why don't they make them autofill/use like coal bags :(

Then there would be nothing for bots to do...

Miseryism | Completionist

- A new "Total XP" tooltip has been added on the stat interface when hovering over the total level gained.

Took them a while.

I see what they're doing there. Oh well, yay +1

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Weve upped the conversion rate of dominion factor-to-XP to a level that we feel is competitive. Well be keeping an eye on this in the near future and tweaking if necessary,

March 23rd, 2014.

We have reduced the XP rate of levelling in the dominion tower as we didn't expect players to use this solely for levelling despite being the best xp in the game.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

By the wording there, it sounds like only items that are currently in your rewards chest can be exchanged for xp. Not rewards you've already claimed.

Oh, I guess that makes sense. I hope it's like that, then I don't have to feel bad. :D

7rwjf.png
Leik.png

Oh, I guess that makes sense. I hope it's like that, then I don't have to feel bad. :D

[14:15:19] Leik: can you trade in meat you already have in bank or it just meat you get from chests from now on?

[14:15:40] Ezkaton: Yup :>

Nope.jpg. FML. :(

7rwjf.png
Leik.png

Im curious to know just how long the gloves now last? A possible change from barrows gloves for good?

Just checked out the new xp rates, they seem pretty low but a guess is for full completing this 'mini game' you'd walk away with an extra 50k xp?

Koolcookie0.png

Runescape Player Since '04 | Tif Member since '06 | Max Combat | Too Busy Playing MW3

Remember: Anyone who is worse than you is a noob. Anyone who is better has no life!

21kjxh3.png

Talking about the new gloves. Now a better choice for the long run than barrows gloves?

EDIT: also been hearing that Jad pets have changed? Anyone got a picture?

Koolcookie0.png

Runescape Player Since '04 | Tif Member since '06 | Max Combat | Too Busy Playing MW3

Remember: Anyone who is worse than you is a noob. Anyone who is better has no life!

Cashing my items feels nice since I am getting some exp out of dumping. Still keeping my dominion swords. Even got 15m ranging exp from wasting the books.

Overall, this update is looking good. As long as there aren't glitches like the Dom Tower was when then it came out, I think I can say I like this week. :thumbup:

So killing the new boss doesn't reward anything useful? Yay for more dead content.

You need it for the Trimmed Completionist Cape.

I said, 'useful'.

Immediate use for anyone who hasn't already maxed & that? No. But it's useful if you need it to obtain the Comp cape. But w/e.

RIP Michaelangelopolous