Behind the Scenes - May

Octarine

My thoughts:

Mad May stuff:

AGAIN WITH SOF...?

Bonfires:

Hopefully this will make Firemaking more fun, but unless it's game breaking, I highly doubt this will sway the traditional methods of firemaking i.e long fire lines.

Song of the Depths:

If I know Jagex by now they'll probably make the stupid crossbow degradable.

Maybe they'll make it a SoF reward to keep it degrading

Queen Black Dragon:

I don't do bossing much; ever since I lost a fury at bandos (among some other stuff) I've been phobic about monsters that can hit 500s. Nothing against this update though.

Diamond Jubilee:

Don't really care for the festivities nowadays, except for holiday events like Easter and Christmas. I'll still do it for the Cryptic Clues though.

All in all, another month that I'll probably not be very interested in, other than the quest.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm should be a good month. Semi interested in QBD, not to stoked about the bonfires but I'm sure it'll be far more useful to people going for FM goals (99/200m and such) unless it's a DnD style minigame with extra rewards...maybe I dunno

Mad May. Well. Interested to see what this xp booster is. Apart from that, *shoves SoF down your throats*

Sounds like a pretty cool month! :D

With all that fire? I think not!

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Sounds like a good month. QBD; by the sounds of it is getting her own new dungeon with some new Slayer mobs, I can deal.

I'm actually quite impressed with the way Jagex are handling newb quests nowadays. They've obviously learnt that people don't care as long as there's some sort of reward for vets.

Lol @ the Dragon Kiteshield though, it really isn't needed other than to complete a set that nobody actually uses for combat. I'm guessing her other drops are going to actually be useful.

Sylpheed.png

May Madness!

We’re even planning something fun with Yelps and his Squeal of Fortune to complete the chaos.

I feel faint...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Lol @ the Dragon Kiteshield though, it really isn't needed other than to complete a set that nobody actually uses for combat. I'm guessing her other drops are going to actually be useful.

An interesting point, will they try to make the Dragon Kiteshield worthwhile and break the trend of Dragon items being largely cosmetic? Would have to think they would so the boss would be more appealing to fight, since if the drop is no more then a fancy dragon square shield, then the price will tank after the initial craze and be no point in wasting the brews on it.

siggy_zps7b2911b4.png

I just hope bonfires aren't too AFK. With Runespan, and now this, they're just making it into AFKscape.

So that you can play D3/GW2 at the same time, of course :P

May Madness!

Were even planning something fun with Yelps and his Squeal of Fortune to complete the chaos.

I feel faint...

Maybe they're planning some customisations to the wheel to make Yelps' pain even greater. There was a suggestion in the RSOF to convert the wheel into a torture rack/cross, so there's always potential for that.

An interesting point, will they try to make the Dragon Kiteshield worthwhile and break the trend of Dragon items being largely cosmetic? Would have to think they would so the boss would be more appealing to fight, since if the drop is no more then a fancy dragon square shield, then the price will tank after the initial craze and be no point in wasting the brews on it.

Doubt they're going to break a trend on this. It also makes me sad to think that we'll never see a pre-graphic update D kite.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Although this looks like a good month, with both a quest and QBD, I must say I'm a bit disappointed about bonfires.

I do agree that firemaking needed an update, as most people didn't like spending their time making endless lines of fire - this has been called for years upon years.

My problem though, is that they are making this another AFK skill. Jagex have realised that people don't like grinding out their skills, and I'm ok with that. And they hear a lot of people say they like Ivy and being afk. But why on earth would a gaming company want their skills to be afk? It's even more boring than before, and the only reason people like it is because you can do other things in the same time.

Isn't it a bit weird with a gaming company that seems to be content that their game is only something to be played in the background while the gamer can play another game (be it GW2, COD, or the sims) - just because the other game is actually fun?

In my eyes, skills should rather be upgraded to take some effort. (not mindless clicking either) Some variables that make it so that you have to react to what happens on the screen. Just this amount of variation and the increased attention needed would make these skills at least a little more fun.

May Madness!

Were even planning something fun with Yelps and his Squeal of Fortune to complete the chaos.

I feel faint...

Maybe they're planning some customisations to the wheel to make Yelps' pain even greater. There was a suggestion in the RSOF to convert the wheel into a torture rack/cross, so there's always potential for that.

Personally I'm hoping for the 'fun' thing to be an army of runescape denizens battering Yelps and his wheel into oblivion never to be seen again, but this I fear is just a pipe dream.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Although this looks like a good month, with both a quest and QBD, I must say I'm a bit disappointed about bonfires.

I do agree that firemaking needed an update, as most people didn't like spending their time making endless lines of fire - this has been called for years upon years.

My problem though, is that they are making this another AFK skill. Jagex have realised that people don't like grinding out their skills, and I'm ok with that. And they hear a lot of people say they like Ivy and being afk. But why on earth would a gaming company want their skills to be afk? It's even more boring than before, and the only reason people like it is because you can do other things in the same time.

Isn't it a bit weird with a gaming company that seems to be content that their game is only something to be played in the background while the gamer can play another game (be it GW2, COD, or the sims) - just because the other game is actually fun?

In my eyes, skills should rather be upgraded to take some effort. (not mindless clicking either) Some variables that make it so that you have to react to what happens on the screen. Just this amount of variation and the increased attention needed would make these skills at least a little more fun.

Although I do agree with your point, Firemaking was already semi-afkable with curly roots in the Jadinko lair. With Firemaking more than any other skill they need to actually implement new content that utilises the skill to do something rather than introduce more ways to train it.

Sylpheed.png

Or 'afkable' skills are a lot more fun because you can, you know, TALK and have interesting conversations that help the time fly by because you are not tied down to having to click ever 1 second or so which makes talking impossible without denting your xp rates.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

For the Queen Black Dragon:

The boss is instanced, you'll only be able to fight it on your own.

I personally think this is a nice shift in direction as there's plenty of bosses you can take down in a team, but few that are designed for solo-players. Quite nice if you don't have a team, or don't have a whole load of time to get organized with other players.

Mod Edam [qfc]16-17-326-63710650[/qfc] (bottom of first page)

Sounds good to me ;)

siggy_zps7b2911b4.png

Sounds like a pretty great month, seems like jagex is updating the f2p game to try and get some new players instead of just getting current f2pers to become members. Finally a new quest been kinda annoying to not have one for a while. QBD should be really interesting for me to take on DIY. Also, It sounds like it might take a while to get there like DKs in the waterbirth dungeon which I like the idea of. Hopefully I'll have a whip by then and a barrows plate.

[hide=Account stats]
taltin_yc.png
rennn_diy.png
[/hide]

My DIY Blog

For the Queen Black Dragon:

The boss is instanced, you'll only be able to fight it on your own.

I personally think this is a nice shift in direction as there's plenty of bosses you can take down in a team, but few that are designed for solo-players. Quite nice if you don't have a team, or don't have a whole load of time to get organized with other players.

Mod Edam [qfc]16-17-326-63710650[/qfc] (bottom of first page)

Sounds good to me ;)

This update is sounding better and better. I've always loved the idea of being able to get an instanced boss that can only be soloed. Definitely my most anticipated update in a while.

Sylpheed.png

May Madness!

I feel faint...

Personally I'm hoping for the 'fun' thing to be an army of runescape denizens battering Yelps and his wheel into oblivion never to be seen again, but this I fear is just a pipe dream.

*Wields the Rune 2h I won the other day off SoF.* Yeah, watch out Yelps. :twisted:

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Can't say i'm too happy about the Firemaking update. It's always been a skill, although cheap and fast, i found a bit more respectable than others because of the high click intensity. I'm hoping the exp offered isn't nearly as high as traditional Firemaking.

As for the new Quest. Looks cool. Hoping the xBow is usefull/good, and available for pures.

Or 'afkable' skills are a lot more fun because you can, you know, TALK and have interesting conversations that help the time fly by because you are not tied down to having to click ever 1 second or so which makes talking impossible without denting your xp rates.

It's not like it has to be either as afk as ivy, or so click heavy that you cannot talk or communicate at all.

Slayer is a skill that have found a nice balance between these two. You can choose to only click once in a while, it's not hard to talk while doing that skill. But if you bring in a cannon, and a familiar with scrolls + spec weapon etc. then it can be very click-heavy, with an increased xp rate if you choose to. (I usually do something inbetween these)

And the same can be said of most skills.

Fm you will be able to chose to to bonfires and it be afk or chose to light lines of fires.

Rc you can chose to afk runespan or chose to run runes normally.

Mining you can chose to go LRC or you can chose to power mine.

Fishing you can chose to do monks/sharks/lobbies/rocktails or you can chose to powerfish.

Just because this new method happens to be an afking one doesn't suddenly eliminate the choice of more click heavy methods and it's not like it is feasible for most skills to have that 1 method speed changer like slayer/combat. The methods have to be divided for functionality.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

No 10 yr vet cape...

Same.. I'm still waiting for it to come and for each month that passes it's getting less special :/

sig3j.jpg

If you have a goal, go for it :D Work hard, be proud and be yourself ;)

I feel like it will just be exactly like curly roots lit one fire then continuously add more logs so this actually might be faster than curly roots since you light one fire close to bank. Use-x on it with magic logs, bank and do again... curly roots can burn for an extremely long time it could be very afk and fast xp

QBD seems like fun except I will not try until the fps and white screens fix less I lose all my equip to a lag out (happens most times during a farm run )

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

^This. Right here. This is one of the biggest problems with training skills like RC (until yesterday, of course) and FM. It's not the grind so much as the isolation caused by the click heavy training methods.

Personally, I'm looking forward to bonfires and I'm glad they chose to include F2P in this skill update as well.

And a Cryptic Clue Fest for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Looks like it will be a good month. :thumbup:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

No 10 yr vet cape...

According to whoever runs the Runescape Twitter they said it was coming...... In February when it was supposed to come.... Yet it's now May. Kinda ticks me off.

Peace,

Vann